Des Moines Restaurants
Make a free reservation
Book for lunch today in Iowa
Check out diners' favorite restaurants in Des Moines
Diners’ Choice Awards are based on where your fellow diners book, dine, and review. Only verified diners get to review restaurants on OpenTable, so our data doesn’t lie.
Please join us Monday through Friday from 11am-9pm to enjoy our FULL MENU from open-close!
Saturdays 9am-9pm and Sundays from 9am-3pm! BRUNCH every Saturday and Sunday, FULL MENU plus BREAKFAST items from 9am-3pm.
Don't forget to join us for a night cap Fridays and Saturdays, our bars remain open until 11pm on both levels!
We have a lot of options with a fabulous ambience on each level, but it can be overwhelming your first time, please call if you have any questions!
Prairie Canary Restaurant & Bar is all about being local. From the name of the restaurant to the dishes on which the food is served, effort was taken to showcase local talent and area producers. Enjoy your meal on hand-thrown plates and bowls. Sit at hand-made hickory tables. Savor farm-fresh produce grown just miles away. Sip on an Iowa wine or pint of beer. We look forward to seeing you!
See what locals rave about in Des Moines
- MMikeWisconsin •2 reviews5.0Dined on May 27, 2023My wife suggested Midtown Reserve to celebrate our anniversary, and we were not disappointed. Everything was delicious, the service was excellent and once again my wife was right! Highly recommended, I can’t wait to return to dive deeper into the menu.More infoMidtown Reserve$$$$• Steakhouse• Cedar Rapids•4.7
- DdmariecSt. Louis •2 reviews5.0Dined on May 22, 2023Our server was wonderful! We’ve had lots of special dinners at Prairie Canary, this was our last. - she graduated! Thanks for the memories.More infoPrairie Canary Restaurant & Bar$$$$• American• Des Moines•4.7
- OTOpenTable DinerMinneapolis - St. Paul •1 review5.0Dined on May 20, 2023The waitress was great! Funny, knowledgeable, helpful and accommodating. The flash fried cauliflower is amazing.More infoHometown Heroes$$$$• American• Des Moines•4.7
- LHLizH1 review5.0Dined on May 14, 2023Had a great experience on Mother’s Day at hip-stir. Our server was friendly, competent, and knowledgeable about the menu. Wish I remembered her name, so I could give her a shout out. The food was delicious, and the place had a nice ambiance. Will definitely go back.More infothe hip-stir$$$$• American• Cedar Rapids•4.9
- CCkrittChicago / Illinois •3 reviews4.0Dined on Jan 1, 2023New Years Day Sunday Buffet. Good value, good food. Enjoyed the outing.More infoGranite City Food & Brewery - Cedar Rapids$$$$• American• Cedar Rapids•4.1
Iowa is known as one of the safest states to live in, which adds to its appeal as a place to visit. With many attractions and things to do, you’re bound to work up an appetite for one of the many local dishes - and there are many! Iowa offers typical restaurant meals from almost any culture imaginable with many of the ingredients being grown in the area. You’ll also see foods iconic to Iowa, such as a loose meat sandwich called Maid Rite, rhubarb pie, Iowa chops, and taco pizza. Although specific to Des Moines, the steak de burgo is a popular item throughout the state. Don't miss some of Iowa's classic corn on the cob.
Frequently asked questions
The best reviewed restaurant in Des Moines is Blackhawk Bowl - Hotel Blackhawk
The best vegan restaurants in Des Moines are HoQ, Fresko and Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Clive
The best vegetarian restaurants in Des Moines are Fresko, Proudfoot & Bird and Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Clive
The restaurants with the best service in Des Moines are Bubba, The Vault Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge and Bari Italian
The restaurants with the best ambiance in Des Moines are the hip-stir, Blackhawk Bowl - Hotel Blackhawk and Bari Italian
- East Village
- Holiday Inn Des Moines-Downtown-Mercy Campus
- Des Moines International Airport
- Seven Hills County Park
- Valley West Mall
- Barner Wildlife Area Number One
- Jordan Park
- Little League Ball Park
- Iowa Events Center
- Prairie Meadows Casino Racetrack and Hotel
- Oak Park Mall
- Hotel Julien Dubuque
- Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection
- Riverwalk Park
- Hi Point Golf Course
- Kingston Stadium
- Living History Farms
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cedar Rapids Convention Complex
- Iowa State Capitol Building
- Des Moines Marriott Downtown