Downtown Charleston Restaurants
Make a free reservation
Book for breakfast today in Downtown Charleston
Check out diners' favorite restaurants in Downtown Charleston
Diners’ Choice Awards are based on where your fellow diners book, dine, and review. Only verified diners get to review restaurants on OpenTable, so our data doesn’t lie.
Reservations made for outdoors are weather dependent. In the case of inclement weather, we will try to move your reservation inside, however, that is not guaranteed.
You can expect a casual, thoughtful design features highlighting Charleston and its rich history throughout. Burwell’s takes great pride in being approachable to all, with high craft memorable food, ensuring guests a warm and welcoming Charleston visit. Don't miss the Wagyu!
Best place to dine in the low country - South Magazine
One of Charleston’s “local favorites” - bon appetit grub crawl
Walk-ins welcome, Burwell’s popular bar is available for full menu dining
Plenty of parking near by
The bar’s stunning pink hue reflects a piece of Charleston history: marble that once clad the library building where Hotel Bennett stands. The marble was reclaimed, restored and now graces the bar and tabletops. The egg-shaped room design was inspired by the famous Faberge jewel boxes and features four pieces of art which depict the Camellia flower. Reflective finishes, including an etched-mirror ceiling and beautiful strings of crystal cascading from the chandelier, add both shimmer and style to the atmosphere.
At Grill 225 we place a great deal of emphasis on seafood harvested from both local and International waters. Using only premium ingredients such as local sustainable seafood as well as exclusive premium domestic and international offerings.
Private Dining for up to 110 guests for indoor events.
Private gatherings for rooftop cocktail receptions and events up to 275 guests.
For Men, smart business attire. Jackets are requested, but not required. Flip flops, T-Shirts, non collar shirts and baseball caps are not permitted.
With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress molding, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu.
Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Châteaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire. Online Reservations are only for the Main Dining Room, Please call to book an outdoor table.
Anchoring The Darling Oyster Bar is a stunning raw bar showcasing fresh, made-to-order seafood. Guests can enjoy the lively raw bar scene while overlooking historic King Street from The Darling’s iconic storefront. The Darling raw bar also offers full service dining.
Located in the heart of Upper King Street, The Darling Oyster Bar is housed in a 115-year old historic building that enjoys a storied past. A mix of the original 1900’s reclaimed wood, whole exposed brick walls, classic tile, antique molding, and nautical theme combine to create a setting that is all at once convivial, charming, and comfortable.
See what locals rave about in Downtown Charleston
- RRapunzelNew York / Tri-State Area •3 reviews5.0Dined 4 days agoThe staff are so friendly and the breakfast delicious. The portions are generous so you could even share especially if you partake in one of the yummy bloody marys as that takes up room too!More infoVirginia's on King$$$$• Southern• Downtown Charleston•4.6
- MSMeghanSvipAtlanta Metro •107 reviews5.0Dined 7 days agoHad a wonderful dinner on the patio while we were traveling in Charleston. The reviews are correct - the muscles are delicious! We were sitting next to another couple who dine here especially for the muscles! My son enjoyed a filet for his meal and quickly gobbled it up! Service was great, ambiance on the patio was lively but not distracting. Look forward to returning to Charleston to dine again!More info39 Rue de Jean - Charleston$$$$• French• Downtown Charleston•4.3
- FDFreqDiner57Washington, D.C. Area •18 reviews5.0Dined on Jan 1, 2023Had a lobster roll, very good! The french fries were very crispy, done just right. And my wife had the fried shrimp basket. She said it tasted very good as well. This is our second time eating there, both times good, our server was very attentive, and knew the menu. We enjoyed the dinner, and we will certainly be back.More infoThe Darling Oyster Bar$$$$• Seafood• Downtown Charleston•4.8
- JKJanisKvipGrand Rapids / Western Michigan •12 reviews5.0Dined on Jan 1, 2023Friendly casual atmosphere with high quality food and great service. Well balanced meal and the carrot cake was to die for!More infoCoast Bar & Grill – Charleston$$$$• Seafood• Downtown Charleston•4.4
- IUIsmailUSouth Carolina •1 review5.0Dined on Jan 1, 2023Great service, delicious food! I wish the brunch buffet comes back.More infoStars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room$$$$• American• Downtown Charleston•4.3
Get inspired by our collections of the top restaurants in Downtown Charleston
Charleston’s 8 Greatest Restaurants
Together, these old and new restaurants offer a snapshot of the best of Charleston dining right now.
Charleston’s 9 best outdoor dining setups
Charleston’s best restaurants for outdoor dining come with breathtaking views, scenic streetside tables, and charming patios.
Celebrate your special occasions at these top 14 Charleston restaurants
Celebrating is what Charleston does best, and food is practically a religion in the Holy City. Most festive restaurants in this historically complex, cobblestone town serve cuisine that’s heavily influenced by the locale. The past is infused in every bite: vibrant Gullah Geechee culture, kept alive by descendants of West Africans who were brought to America’s southeastern coast as enslaved people, is well-represented in dishes rich with okra, grits, rice, and collards. Seafood—specifically, shellfish—graces practically every menu. Whether your reason for celebrating is a birthday, anniversary, promotion, or simply just because, the city’s thriving restaurant scene has the ideal spot. These are the 14 best restaurants in Charleston to ring in any special occasion.
6 New Restaurants to Book in Charleston This Spring
What defines Southern hospitality more than a steaming communal table of Lowcountry boil or shrimp and grits? While those standbys, fueled by the bounty of the surrounding creeks and rivers, still form the soul of Charleston dining, the Holy City is expanding its culinary universe. These new restaurants, ranging from the city’s only food hall to an Indian fusion restaurant, pay tribute to Charleston’s history while increasing its global appeal.
8 romantic restaurants in Charleston for every kind of date
Romance fills Charleston’s cobblestone streets, candlelit verandas, and fiery sunsets. That signature Lowcountry charm also distinguishes the city’s best date-night restaurants. At an oyster bar on King Street, window seats and fried fish baskets take the edge off first-date jitters. For a transportive evening complete with lamb kebabs and anise cocktails, couples hit one of the area’s only Lebanese restaurants. A classic steakhouse in a restored bank makes an elegant backdrop for an unforgettable proposal. There’s a table for every kind of date night in one of the South’s most scenic cities. Read on for a guide to 8 Charleston restaurants ready to host your next romantic occasion.
The best places to grab a drink in Charleston
Charleston’s best bars range from high-end cocktail lounges to charming wine bars and tried-and-true neighborhood escapes.
Discover Downtown Charleston
The downtown area of Charleston is rich in South Carolina state history and features a wide assortment of restaurants. Seafood is abundant in town as it's caught fresh daily. From tourists to locals, food is on the mind of many while they are walking along the city streets. You'll find that grits are a staple for downtown Charleston along with specially prepared coffees. There are outdoor cafes that allow you to enjoy the scenery, and oyster roasts are held by the dock. Meals are prepared fresh so that you can enjoy the flavors that blend together. Southern charm is found in older restaurants that feature picture windows, giving a brilliant view of people passing by on the city streets.
Frequently asked questions
The best reviewed restaurant in Downtown Charleston is Poogan's Porch Restaurant
The best vegan restaurants in Downtown Charleston are Neon Tiger, Maya and Sorghum & Salt
The best vegetarian restaurants in Downtown Charleston are Maya, Neon Tiger and Indaco
The restaurants with the best service in Downtown Charleston are Halls Chophouse, Warehouse and McCrady's Restaurant - Permanently Closed
The restaurants with the best ambiance in Downtown Charleston are Warehouse, High Cotton - Charleston and McCrady's Restaurant - Permanently Closed
- Hampton Inn Charleston-Historic District
- John Rutledge House Inn
- Francis Marion Hotel
- Old Slave Mart Museum
- Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel
- The Vendue
- Fulton Lane Inn
- Wraggs Mall
- Fort Sumter Ferry Liberty Square
- Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston
- Andrew Pinckney Inn
- Kings Courtyard Inn
- South Carolina Aquarium
- Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Ashley River
- Plum Elements
- Barksdale House Inn
- Aiken Rhett House
- Harbourview Inn
- Charleston Marriott
- DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston-Historic District