Diners’ Choice Awards are based on where your fellow diners book, dine, and review. Only verified diners get to review restaurants on OpenTable, so our data doesn’t lie.
PLEASE NOTE: We are a multi-level dining facility in a historic downtown building. For the dining enjoyment for all of our guests, we do not provide highchairs or booster seats.
We try our best to accommodate your requests but we do not guarantee certain tables.
Unmatched Old World décor, a diverse wine cellar, and premier personal service are all complemented by our chef's creative cuisine. Enjoy dining in one of our cozy booths, elegant tables with breathtaking views overlooking the Mississippi River or our interactive Chef's Table.
The Generals’ Bar also boasts Galena’s most knowledgeable bartenders ready to craft one of our Signature Cocktails for you to enjoy in our lounge area or with your meal.
We offer entertainment on Friday and Saturday evening featuring Mark Rockwell on the piano playing contemporary hits and your requests.
Reservations Highly Recommended
Our signature restaurant Woodlands Restaurant & Lounge serves breakfast and dinner daily. Affording fantastic lake views with seasonal cuisine based on Midwest local products. Serving steaks, seafood, vegan dishes, with an extensive wine and craft ale list.
From the moment you enter Vinny Vanucchi’s ‘Little Italy’ in Galena, IL, we’ll welcome you with open arms and make you feel like part of the familia. Perched halfway up a cobblestone street, Vinny’s charming Galena location is complete with an Old World Deli and Import Store, artifacts, signs and vintage family portraits, and four distinctive dining areas. Each dining room has the feel of an authentic trattoria with native wood, Galena brick and checkered tablecloths.
You’ll find Vinny’s ambiance is, at once, both casual and elegant.
• Family Recipes Passed Down 5 Generations
• Pasta Bowls and Baked & Stuffed Pastas
• Chicken and Veal Specialties
• Extensive Wine List
• Outdoor Cappuccino Garden
- OTChicago / Illinois •1 review5.0Dined 4 days agoWe had dinner at Frank O'Doud's with my sister and brother-in-law and heard Andras for entertainment. We can't remember when we had more fun or had a better time. The food and beverages were wonderful and our waitress couldn't have been more accommodating to our every need. We are so looking forward to our next night there!More infoFrank O'Dowd's Irish Pub and GrillPrice: Moderate• Irish• Galena•4.4
- OTChicago / Illinois •1 review5.0Dined 5 days agoThe food is always excellent. Our table was right by a window and the decorations made for a nice backdrop for some pictures. Drinks were very good as well!More infoFried Green TomatoesPrice: Expensive• American• Galena•4.8
- BronaldBvipChicago / Illinois •3 reviews5.0Dined 6 days agoFood was excellent but menu was very limited compared to what was posted on open table. One waitress appeared to be covering all of the tables with minimal backup from the manager. Overall it was very good!!More infoWoodlands Restaurant at Eagle Ridge Resort & SpaPrice: Expensive• Contemporary American• Galena•4.6
- PPaulChicago / Illinois •9 reviews5.0Dined 7 days agoWonderful! In the basement of the historic DeSoto Hotel. Great selection of foods, attentive, courteous servers, great cocktails, lovely, quiet atmosphere. A hidden gem.More infoGeneralsPrice: Expensive• American• Galena•4.6
- OTOpenTable DinervipChicago / Illinois •1 review5.0Dined on Jan 2, 2023Awesome experience would go againMore infoVinny Vanucchi's 'Little Italy' - GalenaPrice: Moderate• Italian• Galena•4.3
Chicago’s 9 hottest restaurant openings of 2023
Chicago’s most thrilling restaurant debuts of the year include a nationally acclaimed South Indian spot and a Ukrainian spot from a James Beard Award-winning duo.
4 freewheeling, fun restaurant trends that emerged in 2023
Maximalism, a bigger focus on the bar, transportive meals, and other restaurant trends to know from the year gone by.
Chicago’s 7 hottest restaurant openings of 2023
Chicago’s best new restaurants, ideal for your next brunch, lunch, or dinner, are home to some of the city’s hottest tables.
10 special occasion-worthy restaurants in Chicago
Chicagoans know that special-occasion meals come in all shapes and sizes. And even though many celebrations in this Midwestern sports town are centered around home team victories, championships aren’t the only reasons to party here. These Windy City restaurants transform a regular Saturday (or Monday or Tuesday) night into an unforgettable evening. Read on for a guide to the 10 best places in Chicago for celebrating special occasions right now.
LatinX-Owned and -Operated Restaurants to Support in Chicago
Celebrate the diversity of the restaurant industry! These LatinX-owned and -operated restaurants are proud to share their heritage — explore spots to support near you.
Black-Owned and -Operated Restaurants to Support in Chicago
OpenTable gives restaurants the ability to celebrate their identity on their restaurant profile—making it even easier for you to find Black-owned and -operated restaurants to support on Juneteenth, and everyday. Explore the spots in your area.
LGBTQ-Owned and -Operated Restaurants to Support in Chicago
OpenTable gives restaurants the ability to celebrate their identity on their restaurant profile—making it even easier for you to find LGBTQ-owned and -operated restaurants to support from coast to coast. Book a table at one of these spots to dine out (and proud!) for Pride month and beyond.
Chicago’s 8 favorite bars
Chicago’s best bars range from high-end cocktail lounges and charming wine bars to tried-and-true neighborhood escapes.
Asian-Owned and -Operated Restaurants to Support Near Chicago
Celebrate the diversity of the restaurant industry! These Asian-owned and -operated restaurants are proud to share their heritage — explore spots to support near you.
15 restaurants that define Chicago
Meet the best restaurants that define Chicago's dining scene, capturing its past and present while also imagining its future.
Women-Owned and -Operated Restaurants to Support in Chicago
Celebrate the diversity of the restaurant industry! These Woman-owned and -operated restaurants are proud to share their identity — explore spots to support near you.
The 11 Best Restaurants in Chicago for a Romantic Date Night
Whether it’s for that special February holiday or just because, the Windy City abounds with romantic restaurants. A sexy seafood spot in River North serves exquisite oysters and liquid nitrogen cocktails. In the West Loop, a Croatian Italian restaurant steered by a Top Chef winner has plenty of cozy corners for cuddling. A flamenco guitarist serenades diners at a 50-year-old fondue favorite in Lakeview. Chicago has plenty of options for your next date, whether you’re looking for a casual evening of quiet conversation or a show-stopping display of culinary wooing. Go ahead and put down that heart-shaped chocolate box and book a table at one of these 11 romantic restaurants instead.
9 Bucket-List Burgers in Chicago
Deep-dish pizza and loaded hot dogs might be what the Windy City is known for, but Chicago knows how to make a damn good burger. The city is jam-packed with restaurants presenting their takes on the ground meat sandwich. Think Venteux’s chuck patty topped with raclette and crispy shallots, Adorn’s dry-aged prime beef burger, or Blue Door Farm Stand’s vegan quinoa burger with mango chutney. Here are the best burgers you do not want to miss in Chicago.
The historic hamlet of Galena has won many travel awards, and its ample dining options have no doubt contributed to the appeal. With its location in the northwest corner of Illinois, it's no surprise that hearty farm-to-table diners and classic American steakhouses are abundant. What is a surprise for most out-of-towners, though, is the variety of European cuisine available. The town features restaurants offering French, German, Irish, and Italian favorites. Galena is also a popular stop for Chicagoans on weekend pub-crawls, so gastropubs with trendy modern menus abound. With dozens of classy but casual eateries to choose from, it's easy for families and foodies alike to find great eats in Galena.
Frequently asked questions
The most romantic restaurant in Galena is Fried Green Tomatoes
- Chestnut Mountain Resort
- Meadowbrook Ii Playground
- Lost Nation Public Hunting Area
- Wagoner Holiday Home
- Delmar Depot Museum
- Joinerville County Park
- Galena Jo Daviess County History Museum
- Upper Mississippi River Wild Life And Fish Refuge
- Eagle Ridge Resort
- Tapley Woods Conservation Area
- 305 North Inn - Galena
- Riverfront Park
- Eagle Ridge Resort and Spa
- Shenandoah Riding Center
- City Ball Park
- Duck Creek County Park
- WorldMark Galena
- Soldiers Memorial Park
- Horseshoe Pond County Park
- Mill Rock School County Park