1400 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/
- Phone: 7209461433x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday- Sunday 10:30-2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 2pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Tamayo is happy to tailor catered menus for your off-premise event.
- Special Events: Savor Chef Richard Sandoval’s acclaimed modern Mexican cuisine at Tamayo. Handcrafted margaritas and a selection of over 100 tequilas pair beautifully with the flavorful dishes.
From the outdoor terrace with sweeping views of the Rocky Mountains, to the main and private dining rooms, handmade Mexican artwork and authentic furnishings complete Tamayo’s dining experience.
For your next party, business meeting or special event, choose from one of our signature dining experiences or let us help you customize your own! Visit our website to view our event packages.
A word from Tamayo Restaurant
The menus at Tamayo offer a modern interpretation of authentic Mexican food with recipes created by critically acclaimed Chef/Owner Richard Sandoval at his Maya Restaurant in New York City. Our warm décor is spectacular with amber & coral colored walls featuring exquisite artwork that includes silver encrusted toucans, silver and volcanic rock guacamole bowls & Mayan masks to keep a watchful eye over the restaurant. Tamayo is truly a unique dining experience for intimate business luncheons, dinners, social events and large celebrations as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tamayo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (115)great for outdoor dining (74)special occasion (73)good for groups (61)hot spot (59)neighborhood gem (55)vibrant bar scene (40)scenic view (34)romantic (33)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (27)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (13)notable wine list (7)Show More
- We loved it!LovetoeatDined on 8/30/2014There were 4 of us and everyone raved about the food. All the different layers of flavors resulted in a wonderful feast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLvgelatoDined on 8/30/2014Steak tacos were amazing. Friendly and efficient staff. Margaritas are always on spot. Nice place to bring a dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehJessieDined on 8/29/2014After seeing Tamayo's Restaurant Week menu, I was so excited to try it. Everything sounded so good, and I was sure it was going to be my new favorite restaurant in Denver. However, I was highly disappointed with the food. My skirt steak entree tasted like someone just dumped a bunch of garlic on it, and my "Mexican donut" dessert was just like Taco Bell's Cinnabon treats...only Taco Bell's are better. Needless to say, I will not be returning to Tamayo. The prices are way too high for the mediocre food they serve. (And our waitress wasn't attentive even though the restaurant wasn't busy.)
- Great spotfakeguyDined on 8/27/2014Mexican food restaurants that truly know mexican food, as opposed to the american version of mexican food, are hard to find. If you find Tamayo, you have found one. The flavors, the plating, the portions, all are spot on. The desserts are similarly well done. It's a busy place, even on a weeknight, but it is definitely worth planning ahead to make sure you can get in.Special Features:
- Downtown Denver DeliciousGaryVIPDined on 8/25/2014I was looking for a classy restaurant that serves authentic Mexican dishes instead of Tex-Mex. Tamayo is that restaurant. We dined outside on the second floor which was perfect on an August evening. Downstairs seemed a bit noisy, but I wouldn't let that keep me away. Daniel provided superb service.Special Features:
- Great timeBrecapDined on 8/24/2014We have a really REALLY great time! I had been before and when I suggested we go here for Restaurant Week all I could hope was that it was as good as it was 10years ago when I first came. And it was! We all had a wonderful time, dinner amazing and so was the service!!! Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Great food, definitely will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Everything is to enjoy about Yamayo. I had their tamale that is killer. Also, they have competitive beer pricing, not expensive. I will be coming back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great time there. The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. My wife is celiac and they went to extreme measures to assure her food was safe for her to eat. Definitely on our list of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014The food was great, the service was excellent, but it was almost impossible to hear people across the table, because it was so noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be a stand outFoodieWannaBeDined on 8/22/2014We took out of town guests here recently. East coast, picky, high falutin' foodies. They nearly licked their plates clean. They were thrilled with our waitresses' knowledge - of the wine, specialty drinks, and the food (of course). I defy you to find anything wrong with your experience here. Everything is outstanding.Special Features:
- MinnesotanativeDined on 8/21/2014My faculty find that Tamayo Restaurant has good neuvo Mexican food and serves as a convenient meeting place for conversation as well as dining. Its location on Larimer Street is another draw since my faculty are usually traveling on foot from UC Denver campus and on a tight schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tamayo my oh my!WineNdineMeDined on 8/19/2014The eye catching presentation was surpassed only by how delicious the food was. We never did decide whose dish was the best and continued to share bites of each others choices even after the obligatory, 'Here, have a taste of mine' offer was accepted. And portions worthy of a 'to go' box for each of us hungry men at the end of the meal. Just terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!cjsmDined on 8/18/2014Tamayo delivers contemporary Mexican cuisine in an atmosphere that is fun and lively. The food is superb. The seafood-laden chile rilleno appetizer is spectacular. The menu will please any palate. The updated Mexican cuisine presents Mexican food in a sophisticated creative way. Service is excellent. Tamayo is a thoroughly memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, authentic food, Great SunsetEat2Live07Dined on 8/17/2014My wife and I sat upstairs on the balcony--highly recommended. Margaritas were outstanding! Wife had the traditional margarita, I had the tamayo (first one on the menu)--they were both awesome. Also ordered the guacamole...there were seven kinds, but I went with the traditional. It was fresh (great ingredients), but seemed to be missing a something (we added salt). Service was amazing all night. The wife ordered their polo adobado, I had a chile relleno and mahi mahi tacos. We both enjoyed our food, it was well prepared, well presented, and fresh. The polo adobado had a lot of flavor, but I would probably order something different when we go there again. Overall, great experience. We recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Denver DynamitecoloradofoodieDined on 8/16/2014We had never eaten at Tamayo before and received a recommendation from friends to dine there. We chose to meet and dine here with friends that we had not seen in over 10 years, and knowing they did not eat meat and we did, we thought it offered a great selection to please us all! It did not disappoint, and we truly enjoyed the experience. We would definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- Great foodLisaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Very good food with unusual yummy flavors. Many gluten free options.Special Features:
- LynnDined on 8/13/2014nice decor, great service, great food but pricey. Glad I went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food SnobFoodsnobVIPDined on 8/10/2014The Guacamole is wonderful there but the service was rather slow. Our entrees were not good at all but I would recommend their guacamole.Special Features:
- Unforgettably Delicious!!!HoustonEatsVIPDined on 8/10/2014This was one of the best meals we've ever had anywhere. The food was unbelievably creative without wandering off into the unknown and strange. The tortilla soup was our top one or two all-time favorites -- and we eat a lot of tortilla soup! The beet salad with two types of dressing, one of which was balsamic with some sort of pepper blended into it, was subtlety amazing. We ordered about five different things between the two of us and all of it was incredible. Sitting upstairs on the covered outdoor deck in the sunset was very pleasant but the highlight was just the amazing food itself. Wine list is a little limited but the margarita list isn't. And limited or not, I did manage to find something good to drink.Special Features:
- LarryLarryDined on 8/10/20141!Food was very tasty and delightfully presented. Service was great! My only complaint is the price. Overpriced for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodStacyDined on 8/10/2014Margaritas and guacamole were outstanding. The salad was good but had the stems left on the spinach which made the salad awkward to eat. Also ordered tacos which were good. Margs and guacamole are what made the meal for me. Rooftop there is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealeatreviewDined on 7/31/2014Portion sizes and appearance are great. Food very tasty and everyone enjoyed their meals. Service was attentive but not overly distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Committed Staff, Good FoodgourmetorbustDined on 7/26/2014Had a great time here with my cousin. It's got gluten free food as well. The drinks are high priced, but of good quality. The tacos (ordered the Al Pastor) were fantastic. I'd go back - but only with my wealthier friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old standard but still outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/24/2014Went here with out-of-town guests and it was terrific. Fabulous flavors! Still packing them in; I was surprised with all the restaurant competition in this city but when you are delivering an excellent meal at a fair price, the people keep coming. Highly recommend, all four of us cleaned our plates! If I have one complaint it is that their house margarita needs some fixin' -- it is not a tasty one... I won't have it again and will instead find a wine to go with my meal.
- One of our Favorite Restaurantslove2mayoDined on 7/23/2014Every item on the menu is delicious--we've all had virtually everything--, service in all respects is efficient, professional and friendly, wonderful drink selection, great location, very warm/vibrant interior. I'm not specifically referring to Tamayo with this comment, because it seems to have been the trend for a number of years in the restaurant business as one can note from your "Noise Level" category above with its interesting options. I think owners should revisit the focus on acoustics in the industry. I was in the restaurant business in the 1990's and not having to speak loudly or yell to be heard by your dining partners, even at a larger table, truly enhanced the dining experience. Now "energetic" seems to be the norm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat customerSuzanneVIPDined on 7/23/2014Excellent food and service. Menu offers many delicious choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a little priceySemantixVIPDined on 7/22/2014The Guac Fest caught our attention and we love Zengo so we decided to try this sister restaurant. The food was great. Crickets in guac isn't something I'd come back for, but everything else was great. We were a little surprised by our bill and probably wouldn't rush back but glad we tried it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MargaritaEduardoDined on 7/20/2014Great coin style. Tequila blanco, good triple sec and fresh limes. Just like in Zihuatanejo!Special Features:
- Great foodFoodiedivaDined on 7/19/2014Good food but a little pricy from your typical tex-mex restaurant and a bit loud with the weekend crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but NOT Great...DaveinDenverDined on 7/19/2014With reservations and several open tables available inside we were directed to a table on roof-top area in the sun. The direct sunlight, heat and wind created a few problems for the meal. The queso appetizer had a great flavor but was a small portion that quickly became a singular glob that was inedible. The quacamole was fresh and zesty. We ordered a variety of dishes including 2 taco dishes and 3 enchilada dishes. The tacos were very good except the soft shells seemed to fall apart very easily which made them difficult to handle. The enchilada dishes also had a good flavor but were hard to cut do to the hardened tortillas. The service was friendly and prompt. With 2 apps 4 drinks and a nice tip the bill was over $200 OK but not GREAT!Special Features:
- fun evening!larryDined on 7/18/2014We had a wonderful evening with friends who were visiting from PA. Delicious, lively, great service---same as always. We keep returning after 10+ years of dining at Tamayo!Special Features:
- Great Business Place for LunchBusinessLunchDined on 7/16/2014Great for 1st impression during lunch / business meetingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightMichelleDined on 7/15/2014Our concierge recommended this restaurant. We waited a couple days before heading there as we had so many on our list. What a great night! Sat upstairs and outside. View was fabulous! Our server, Nikki, was equally as fabulous. She took her time, recommended great dishes (and knowledgeably talked about each one), and patiently answered all our questions. We went with two of her recommendations and were not disappointed in any way! The margaritas were great with an long array of unique flavors to choose from. A definite must in downtown Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for anniversary dinnerPattyDined on 7/14/2014We found this spot thanks to the Denver Passport and had a great time! The queso and guacamole appetizers were delicious (although the queso was a little heavy-better for 4 people to split instead of 2). The margaritas were strong but balanced (I recommend the Mercado if you like spicy!!). The Mahi Mahi entree was incredible as well, but I have to say my most favorite food that we ordered was the side of spinach! The combination of Sauteed Spinach, Chicharrones, Garlic & Mushrooms was amazing! We definitely plan on going back for more!Special Features:
- We Love Tamayo!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Highly recommended, we go there for special occasions, excellent food and service, got to try the Mango Mojitos!Special Features:
- Unique and memorable MexicanDesmtDined on 7/12/2014In a neighborhood of abundant excellent restaurants, Tamayo stands out with Mexican fare that you'll likely find unlike and superior to other upscale Mexican eateries this far north of the border. My eyes were opened with my most recent visit - I'd ordered the pork dish that's been my go-to meal twice before. But in mid-meal my wife & I traded, me finishing her skirt steak and finding both steak and accompaniments as delightful and tasty as the pork. Signature cocktails add to the experience, appetizers are not to be missed. And choose your preference of three seating areas: outside to watch the lively night activity ... inside street level for bustle & high energy ... upstairs for quiet & romantic al fresco.Special Features:
- Amazing Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014The Bottomless Brunch is one of the best around. Great food and tasty drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestCol75Dined on 7/12/2014Our brunch at Tomayo was absolutely amazing! We were in Denver for the weekend and I chose Tomayo after looking at their menu! Turned out to be the best brunch! I'm not a margarita fan, but my friends were and they said they were outstanding. I stuck to bloody marys! What an excellent variety of food, which was some of the best Mexican I've ever had! I also want to note that Mark, our server, did an incredible job with the menu options, the timing and just outstanding service. I've already started highly recommending it. It will most certainly be on my list each time I'm visiting Denver!Special Features:
- Great downtown vibe!4katzAndAHubbyDined on 7/11/2014Looking for authentic Mexican - found it! Amazing mole, pared fresh salsa and guacamole sides. Every one at our table was thrilled with their choice. We had the guacamole sampler as a starter - not to be missed. Service was fabulous. We ate on the rooftop terrace and it just added to the perfect meal! We were concerned about rain earlier in the evening and we're pleased to see it was partially covered. Wonderful atmosphere. Just in town for a conference, but would definitely revisit if in town in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceDSmithDined on 7/11/2014I celebrated by birthday here. The server picked up on that and surprised us with a birthday treat at the end of our meal. I've eaten here numerous times and always have a great dining experience.Special Features: