1400 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/
- Phone: 7209461433x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday- Sunday 10:30-2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 2pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Tamayo is happy to tailor catered menus for your off-premise event.
- Special Events: Savor Chef Richard Sandoval’s acclaimed modern Mexican cuisine at Tamayo. Handcrafted margaritas and a selection of over 100 tequilas pair beautifully with the flavorful dishes.
From the outdoor terrace with sweeping views of the Rocky Mountains, to the main and private dining rooms, handmade Mexican artwork and authentic furnishings complete Tamayo’s dining experience.
For your next party, business meeting or special event, choose from one of our signature dining experiences or let us help you customize your own! Visit our website to view our event packages.
A word from Tamayo Restaurant
The menus at Tamayo offer a modern interpretation of authentic Mexican food with recipes created by critically acclaimed Chef/Owner Richard Sandoval at his Maya Restaurant in New York City. Our warm décor is spectacular with amber & coral colored walls featuring exquisite artwork that includes silver encrusted toucans, silver and volcanic rock guacamole bowls & Mayan masks to keep a watchful eye over the restaurant. Tamayo is truly a unique dining experience for intimate business luncheons, dinners, social events and large celebrations as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tamayo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (113)great for outdoor dining (71)special occasion (67)good for groups (62)hot spot (59)neighborhood gem (57)vibrant bar scene (43)scenic view (34)romantic (33)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (27)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (12)notable wine list (8)Show More
- Pricey but extremely tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014We especially enjoyed the sangria; get a pitcher if there's more than one person drinking it.Special Features:
- BlazorVIPDined on 9/16/2014The food and service were great. We were very luck to get an outside table (in fine weather) for the noise level inside was intollerable.Special Features:
- slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Our waiter was very nice ,however, the greating was very slow , no suggestive selling not on drinks,appetizers, dinner features, my bill was 70 dollars but it could have been 120 with suggestive selling , maybe less tables per waiter , understaffed maybe . I am a restaurant General Manager and i would invest on a couple more servers or help in the dinning room. Those are just my thoughts. Hopefully this is helpful. Great food ,, just needs alittle help on speed of service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very very saltydali560VIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was luke warm, the short ribs were extremely salty and burnt on the edges. Server was informed of the short ribs and offered more of it?? I will not be going there again, the mahi mahi tacos were bleh. Margs in cherry creek has way better fish tacos.Special Features:
- Deeelish!!!!New2DenverDined on 9/13/2014The food here is fantastic and very unique! Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown GemCSCoupleDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed walking to this restaurant after a performance at the Denver Center. Service was outstanding. The menu has a lot of variety, and the quality was excellent. A great find!Special Features:
- Good and Fast tooKJOSIMPSONDined on 9/13/2014We had theater tickets (think most people did!) and the food came out FAST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- up-scale mexicanMarkDined on 9/13/2014Great place to eat in downtown Denver. Fresh well prepared food with a flair. Loved the tuna guacamole and margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014We had 15 people in our group and the most fantastic server. Would highly recommend for a birthday location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TamayoantetheaterDined on 9/12/2014Attentive and friendly service, excellent food, seated promptly. A relaxing dinner. Recommend Tamayo highly.Special Features:
- great food; high$ , small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014the food, what little was served, was yummy nut 13$ for no joke 4 spoons (the Asian soup spoons) of guacamole,,, lightoooooooooooooooooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed at TamayoWendyDined on 9/6/2014When Tamayo first opened they were just the best; food, atmosphere, service. Not now. This reservation will be the third time I have made reservations in advance for an out door table upstairs. When I arrived the snotty hostess said that upstairs was closed for a private party. THIRD TIME this has happened. She said she tried to call to let me know. Not true. AND, telling me same day would have given me very little time on a Saturday night to make new plans. Asked about outside street side patio: "That's first come, first serve". Spent $240 on dinner that looked more like appetizers. Sure do miss the good old days when Tamayo had outstanding sangria, guacamole made fresh at your table, wonderful food and service. We won't be back...ever.
- Presentation pretty, taste mehDnvrtrvlrDined on 9/4/2014Come here for guac, salsa, good margs, dessert, to see/be seen-not for mediocre dinner. Second visit, again underwhelmed by the entrees, service and noise. Seated by bar, it's shouting loud. Servers knowledgeable, not friendly. Chips and salsa on request. Salsa delicious; chips fresher and whole. Last visit were chip shards. Presentation beautiful on each dish. Greasy beef skewers tasted off, chorizo was burned. Weird because bacon on same skewer was ice cold raw. Once again, garnish (avocado,chopped tomato) best part of dish. Soggy cactus leaf underneath icky. Shrimp chipolte-very good-5 large shrimp, tasty sauce, small salad of micro-greens. Tres Chocolate dessert was awesome! Server did not know if house-made (bet not-too good).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, Amazing AmazingPattyDined on 9/3/2014amazing in all ways. Our server Alexsis was attentive, knowledgeble and takes great pride in her work,along with the team work of her coworkers. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- We loved it!LovetoeatDined on 8/30/2014There were 4 of us and everyone raved about the food. All the different layers of flavors resulted in a wonderful feast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLvgelatoDined on 8/30/2014Steak tacos were amazing. Friendly and efficient staff. Margaritas are always on spot. Nice place to bring a dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehJessieDined on 8/29/2014After seeing Tamayo's Restaurant Week menu, I was so excited to try it. Everything sounded so good, and I was sure it was going to be my new favorite restaurant in Denver. However, I was highly disappointed with the food. My skirt steak entree tasted like someone just dumped a bunch of garlic on it, and my "Mexican donut" dessert was just like Taco Bell's Cinnabon treats...only Taco Bell's are better. Needless to say, I will not be returning to Tamayo. The prices are way too high for the mediocre food they serve. (And our waitress wasn't attentive even though the restaurant wasn't busy.)
- Food is ok but is not Mexican foodjulfuentVIPDined on 8/28/2014The food is good a little expensive considering the portions and that the place is not very luxury. If this restaurant is pretending to serve Mexican food at least they should some Mexican Art at the restaurant or more quality and organic ingredients in the food.
- Amazing!LittletonRKDined on 8/28/2014Everything about our dining experience was fantastic. Nothing to complain about with the food, drinks, or service. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great spotfakeguyDined on 8/27/2014Mexican food restaurants that truly know mexican food, as opposed to the american version of mexican food, are hard to find. If you find Tamayo, you have found one. The flavors, the plating, the portions, all are spot on. The desserts are similarly well done. It's a busy place, even on a weeknight, but it is definitely worth planning ahead to make sure you can get in.Special Features:
- Downtown Denver DeliciousGaryVIPDined on 8/25/2014I was looking for a classy restaurant that serves authentic Mexican dishes instead of Tex-Mex. Tamayo is that restaurant. We dined outside on the second floor which was perfect on an August evening. Downstairs seemed a bit noisy, but I wouldn't let that keep me away. Daniel provided superb service.Special Features:
- Great timeBrecapDined on 8/24/2014We have a really REALLY great time! I had been before and when I suggested we go here for Restaurant Week all I could hope was that it was as good as it was 10years ago when I first came. And it was! We all had a wonderful time, dinner amazing and so was the service!!! Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Great food, definitely will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Everything is to enjoy about Yamayo. I had their tamale that is killer. Also, they have competitive beer pricing, not expensive. I will be coming back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great time there. The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. My wife is celiac and they went to extreme measures to assure her food was safe for her to eat. Definitely on our list of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014The food was great, the service was excellent, but it was almost impossible to hear people across the table, because it was so noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be a stand outFoodieWannaBeDined on 8/22/2014We took out of town guests here recently. East coast, picky, high falutin' foodies. They nearly licked their plates clean. They were thrilled with our waitresses' knowledge - of the wine, specialty drinks, and the food (of course). I defy you to find anything wrong with your experience here. Everything is outstanding.Special Features:
- MinnesotanativeDined on 8/21/2014My faculty find that Tamayo Restaurant has good neuvo Mexican food and serves as a convenient meeting place for conversation as well as dining. Its location on Larimer Street is another draw since my faculty are usually traveling on foot from UC Denver campus and on a tight schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tamayo my oh my!WineNdineMeDined on 8/19/2014The eye catching presentation was surpassed only by how delicious the food was. We never did decide whose dish was the best and continued to share bites of each others choices even after the obligatory, 'Here, have a taste of mine' offer was accepted. And portions worthy of a 'to go' box for each of us hungry men at the end of the meal. Just terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!cjsmDined on 8/18/2014Tamayo delivers contemporary Mexican cuisine in an atmosphere that is fun and lively. The food is superb. The seafood-laden chile rilleno appetizer is spectacular. The menu will please any palate. The updated Mexican cuisine presents Mexican food in a sophisticated creative way. Service is excellent. Tamayo is a thoroughly memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, authentic food, Great SunsetEat2Live07Dined on 8/17/2014My wife and I sat upstairs on the balcony--highly recommended. Margaritas were outstanding! Wife had the traditional margarita, I had the tamayo (first one on the menu)--they were both awesome. Also ordered the guacamole...there were seven kinds, but I went with the traditional. It was fresh (great ingredients), but seemed to be missing a something (we added salt). Service was amazing all night. The wife ordered their polo adobado, I had a chile relleno and mahi mahi tacos. We both enjoyed our food, it was well prepared, well presented, and fresh. The polo adobado had a lot of flavor, but I would probably order something different when we go there again. Overall, great experience. We recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Denver DynamitecoloradofoodieDined on 8/16/2014We had never eaten at Tamayo before and received a recommendation from friends to dine there. We chose to meet and dine here with friends that we had not seen in over 10 years, and knowing they did not eat meat and we did, we thought it offered a great selection to please us all! It did not disappoint, and we truly enjoyed the experience. We would definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- Great foodLisaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Very good food with unusual yummy flavors. Many gluten free options.Special Features:
- LynnDined on 8/13/2014nice decor, great service, great food but pricey. Glad I went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food SnobFoodsnobVIPDined on 8/10/2014The Guacamole is wonderful there but the service was rather slow. Our entrees were not good at all but I would recommend their guacamole.Special Features:
- Unforgettably Delicious!!!HoustonEatsVIPDined on 8/10/2014This was one of the best meals we've ever had anywhere. The food was unbelievably creative without wandering off into the unknown and strange. The tortilla soup was our top one or two all-time favorites -- and we eat a lot of tortilla soup! The beet salad with two types of dressing, one of which was balsamic with some sort of pepper blended into it, was subtlety amazing. We ordered about five different things between the two of us and all of it was incredible. Sitting upstairs on the covered outdoor deck in the sunset was very pleasant but the highlight was just the amazing food itself. Wine list is a little limited but the margarita list isn't. And limited or not, I did manage to find something good to drink.Special Features:
- LarryLarryDined on 8/10/20141!Food was very tasty and delightfully presented. Service was great! My only complaint is the price. Overpriced for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodStacyDined on 8/10/2014Margaritas and guacamole were outstanding. The salad was good but had the stems left on the spinach which made the salad awkward to eat. Also ordered tacos which were good. Margs and guacamole are what made the meal for me. Rooftop there is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealeatreviewDined on 7/31/2014Portion sizes and appearance are great. Food very tasty and everyone enjoyed their meals. Service was attentive but not overly distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Committed Staff, Good FoodgourmetorbustDined on 7/26/2014Had a great time here with my cousin. It's got gluten free food as well. The drinks are high priced, but of good quality. The tacos (ordered the Al Pastor) were fantastic. I'd go back - but only with my wealthier friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old standard but still outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/24/2014Went here with out-of-town guests and it was terrific. Fabulous flavors! Still packing them in; I was surprised with all the restaurant competition in this city but when you are delivering an excellent meal at a fair price, the people keep coming. Highly recommend, all four of us cleaned our plates! If I have one complaint it is that their house margarita needs some fixin' -- it is not a tasty one... I won't have it again and will instead find a wine to go with my meal.