6920 Macleod Tr. S
Calgary, AB T2H 0L3Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smugglers.ca/
- Phone: 4032535355x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm; Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm; Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 9:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Gary Hennessey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have on site facilities for groups of 20 and also have the ability to bring our world famous cuisine to off site locations. Several menus are offered in different price ranges, and our catering co-coordinator would be happy to discuss options and availability.
- Private Party Facilities: Special menus can be arranged through our catering department.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Cooper 4032535355x
A word from Smuggler's Inn
Originally established in 1967, Smuggler's has been serving Alberta prime rib to several generations. Always a popular place for Calgarians to gather and celebrate, we are the preferred dining choice for birthdays, anniversaries, milestones or just meeting friends and family. Our prime rib is the main feature of our diverse menu, available all day, every day any way you like it. From a 7oz. prime rib sandwich, all the way up to a 48oz cut, our succulent prime rib is sure to please any appetite. Cajun blackened is always a popular choice, as is adding a lobster tail or side of garlic shrimp. Of course there is a creative selection of steaks, chicken and seafood to satisfy everyone. With a soup and salad bar included with every entree, not many guests leave hungry, but it would be a great idea if you saved room for one of our delicious desserts...even if you plan on sharing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Smuggler's Inn - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Smuggler's Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (113)good for groups (87)romantic (62)great for brunch (58)fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (39)great for lunch (32)kid-friendly (28)notable wine list (23)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Always what you expect!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Smugglers has never changed -- the food is good, service is fine -- and soup/salad bar is tasty and a bonus that it is included with the main course.Special Features:
- Wonderful place to celebrate.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014As usual a great night out. Food was awesome, salad/soup bar was very good. Celebrating our Son and Fiancées engagement. Waitress congratulated them and bought over a special dessert for them to share. Very impressed with everything. You can't go wrong with the Smugglers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib LeaderThugorDined on 9/19/2014I have been to Smugglers Inn dozens of time and they always hit the mark with there Prime Rib. Order the big Cuts... Doggie bag...Prime Rib Sandwich for lunch the next day!!Special Features:
- Always a good timeLadybugcecVIPDined on 9/14/2014We have enjoyed Smuggler's for years. Always a great place to get great Alberta beef. We came here this past weekend to take my mom out for supper because she wanted prime rib. She was not disappointed. Very nice service. The only negative is that the chairs are huge and it can be hard to get in/out of them while holding a plate of food from the salad bar as they are quite a tight fit, but honestly it's so minor because the food is always lovelySpecial Features:
- Service is backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Going out to eat is a special event for me. I have a diet limitation that few restaurants bother to cater to. Last time I went to Smugglers the service and food quality were not up to par. They very apparently read the review I left last time and fixed the problems. Food was great and service (our waiter was Justin) was stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cold foodjangeobrownDined on 9/14/2014The food was cold and the containers were empty. I counted three containers empty and the ones that were full were overcooked and cold. I will not take in another brunch at that restaurant. We mentioned to the waitress about the cold food and the empty containers. It was quite a disappointment to us as we had invited our friends to join us.
- Way to long between visitstoolongbetweenvisitsDined on 9/13/2014As we live west of Edmonton now, we don't get to Calgary enough. Smugglers Inn is our #1 choice for a meal out. We love the soup, salad bar and particularly the prime rib. We are literally full for two days.Special Features:
- BrunchchingDined on 9/13/2014We came around 1pm which is late apparently for there not much selection.We planned for nice lunch but we didn't know that its all brunch buffet for Saturday and Sunday.
- First Times a Charmfoodie4lifeDined on 9/11/2014Was looking for a nice restaurant to take my mother and grandmother who were in from out if town to. I went online to look for a restaurant in the area and had decided on Smugglers based on the good reviews. Everything from start to finish was amazing. Our server Terry was actually an acquaintance with one of the diners at our table and the service was impeccable. And then there was the food!!!! To die for ! My 82 year old grandmother said it was the best birthday dinner she had ever had (and that's a lot of birthday dinners). Will absolutely be back! Hopefully date night next time.Special Features:
- RecommendedRomanoDined on 9/7/2014Server was efficient and polite. Food (primary rib) was cooked properly and was not late (15min.wait). Salad bar had a good selection and dessert (brownie) was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!nverkDined on 9/7/2014Had a great time at brunch with my fiance, service was fantastic. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- randomDined on 9/6/2014It would be a better ambiance and noise level as an adult dining experience especially at dinner. The obvious goal of this restraunt is to be a fine dining experience in the evening, that requires children only at lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmugglersdinekingDined on 9/6/2014I'm not sure what has changed since the last visit a few years ago, but it was not good. Ordered a prime rib (their specialty) and asked for medium well. When steaks arrived it was VERY WELL DONE. I would expect better from a renowned steak house. Not only over cooked but extremely dry and bland. My wife ordered a smaller cut of prime rib and hers was undercooked. I'm not sure what has happened since our last visit but it was not for the better. May not return for anniversary next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steak houseunderwhelmedDined on 9/5/2014It's not too fancy. But it's not rundown at all. It's your classic steak house. Traditional salad bar. Big meaty steaks. Side dishes to match. My husband and I had a very nice dinner.
- Good food and good servicesGreatDined on 9/5/2014Thanks for looking after me and my guests's needs last Friday. All my guests enjoyed their food and the salad bar. Booking an early reservation, 5:15 p.m., really helps. The restaurant was quiet and the server had more time to help us with our orders. In general, we had a great time! MoSpecial Features:
- We love It here!AlanaDined on 9/3/2014I've been going to Smugglers for over 20 years, it's changed a lot over that time. It went through a bit of a rough period a few years back, but has figured things out again! Now that I have a family of my own this has become my kids (age 10, 13) restaurant of choice for their birthday dinner or any special occasion over the last couple of years. My son and my favorite is the garlic Parmesan crusted steak, my husband gets the first mates blackened Cajun, daughter is a rib girl. They have great soups to start and their salad bar is decent..... Although I am sad they no longer have the wasabi dressing anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodELAINEDined on 9/3/2014It was great as always Stuffed potato was cold Excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunchlulu25Dined on 8/31/2014We went for brunch. We have visited the restaurant for dinner but never for brunch. Overall the food was good. My kids loved it but I felt I wish they keep the same level of quality that you find in the regular restaurant. Either way it was a good experience. My kids are quite fuzzy eaters and they really enjoy it. They are asking to go back. Another thing is that you are charge $1.25 x the age of the child. I thought it was a great idea as my 12 year old doesn't eat the same as my 5 year oldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!MicheleMDined on 8/31/2014They have a wonderful selection for brunch however make sure you come hungry otherwise it may not be worth the $22 per person. Recommend reservations as they are given better seating (nice booths, close to buffet). Handicapped bathrooms are okay but a tight squeeze with low toilets. Overall would recommend and we will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Andymaui2013Dined on 8/30/2014The overall experience was excellent as we had not visited Smugglers for a very long time and are asking ourselves why it has been missing from our dining scene. That has been rectified by our last visit and we will be returning a lot over the foreseeable future.Special Features:
- Decline in qualityFoodie2Dined on 8/30/2014Smugglers inn has been our special occasion restaurant for many years. The ambiance and food are classic however we have noticed a decline in the quality of the salad bar. On our last visit the salad was wilted, the steak soup had no steak in it and the jello was mangled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same good food as alwaysSuzyyannieDined on 8/29/2014We were disappointed that the patio was closed on what was probably our last opportunity this summer to sit outside and have a drink in sunny, warm weather. But, we were given a nice table inside and the food was great, as always.Special Features:
- CelebrationericDined on 8/28/2014We booked for a group of 6 to celebrate a friends Birthday. Food was fantastic n so were the selections for drinks. Highly recommend this to celebrate any occasions. Server was good but did forget a few of our drinks as people staggered in for our table.Special Features:
- Great dinning experiencepinkeleganceDined on 8/23/2014I really enjoyed the salad bar and the soups - Had the Portuguese soup, it was the perfect balance of spicy hot and sweet. Very nice. We had the filet Mignon and the seafood platter - They were both done to perfection. Wow - the one skillet of Mushrooms could easily feed 3 people! There service was excellent - friendly, yet professional. The decor was great for those of us who are looking for a different atmosphere - Really fun medieval. The washrooms downstairs, however, were not so great. These really need a reno.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant night outRosP2014Dined on 8/23/2014A nice night out, to enjoy good food as a reasonable price. Salad bar a bit iffy but prime rib was excellent and generously cut.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought Back MemoriesMemoriesDined on 8/22/2014This was the Resturaunt my husband proposed to me at. I think we were even seated at the same table. Good to see there hasn't been much change including the wooden menus. Food was still delicious & waiter was very polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smugglerspearl2013Dined on 8/22/2014The prime rib and the steak soup are unbeatable in my eyes! I don't care for horseradish but theirs is cut with sour cream and I can't get enough! One complaint is all the noisy families and bright lights. We are used to a darker, quieter and cozier atmosphere, later in the evening they finally dimmed the lights. Very sweet of them to give us a dessert complimentary because it was our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Smuggler's InnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I have been dining at the Smuggler's for over 30 years and enjoy it every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kids must be restrainedDestroyedDined on 8/16/2014Great food,Great service,BUT the table next to us with a screaming child and parents that do nothing about it, DESTROYED our special night out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Prime RibPeasandcarrotsDined on 8/15/2014I also had a nibble of the ribs. Wow there are so good Our server was so professional, Kind and a sense of humorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hit and missOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/14/2014generally we have a great experience; we are fairly regular guests. this visit was for our 21st anniversary and it was a bit of a let down. food was good; beer kind of tasted off, service was really slow (wasn't really that busy), service lacked, got drinks, got food, got the bill and that was about it. no, hows the food, did you need anything etc....Special Features:
- dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014We come here fairly frequently and the food is always up to our expectations. Tonight I had to wait for my steak as it inadvertently was overcooked and a new steak was prepared. This one was perfect. We were given our coffees for free because of the wait but i think perhaps my dessert could have been added as it was a least a 10-15 min wait. However everyone was very apologetic and the food was all very good so I'm happy enough. This is one of my favorite places in Calgary and certainly these things happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchBrunchersDined on 8/10/2014Fantastic, we were able to make the reservation for a birthday brunch easily 2 weeks before hand online, which they followed up with a phone call 2 days before to confirm and remind. The buffet selection was fantastic for everyone from the 3 year old to the pickiest of our eaters, me! As well they were constantly checking and resupplying, the hot was hot and the cold was cold. Our server was fantastic, he checked on us often, interacted well with the 3 year old, keeping our glasses full and dirty plates disappeared quickly. They also didn't rush us out the door and let us leisurely take our time over 2 hours. We have been here before and we keep coming back.Special Features:
- Steak and ribs to die for!kalgaryklutzDined on 8/4/2014Friends were in from out of town and Smugglers Inn is our preferred eatery. Rib steaks and beef ribs are always cooked to perfection. This visit one of our group tried the pork ribs and was blown away by the taste and tenderness. We always seem to get Derek as our waiter and if you are lucky, you will as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...BethanyDined on 8/3/2014I recall really liking Smugglers for brunch, and loving Tango for all meals. However, this time, the Smugglers/Tango brunch was... meh. It wasn't terrible, but some dishes were cold or not super. The dessert table was excellent, but you know, it's breakfast, so the amount of dessert permissible is debatable (apparently). The omelette station was nice. Overall, brunch was ok... but for $23, I expect better. Definitely go to Tango for lunch or dinner, though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Our waiter was amazing. Friendly, knowledgeable and polite. Food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJamesDined on 8/1/2014I had the Cajun filet. Steak was cooked perfectly, as usual. Still the best steakhouse in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calgarys gem.TKDguy1Dined on 7/28/2014Courteous service personel. Great for a romantic evening. Food is simply amaizing. Fine selection of wine. I cannot say enough about this establishment. If you enjoy prime rib this is the place for you. Can't wait till I go back. One of Calgarys hidden gems. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!RedDevilRodeoDined on 7/27/2014Smuggler's went out of their way to make sure we had a great evening. My mother has mobility issues and they made sure that we had a table that suited her needs. Perfect evening :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceenjoyeating19Dined on 7/27/2014We were going in to have the food and service in the middle but we were dead wrong it was more then what we expected and we were just saying that this the kind of services every where else needsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.