1240 - 8th Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2G 0M7Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rougecalgary.com/
- Phone: (403) 531-2767
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary French / American, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Jamie Harling
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call to inquire.
- Special Events: Call to inquire.
A word from Rouge
Calgary’s premier restaurant destination. The expansive on-site garden and locally grown products influence the mouthwatering menu. Located only 5 minutes from downtown, Rouge offers cuisine and ambiance dedicated to food and wine aficionados. Ample free parking.Continued
Rouge boasts private meeting rooms for your next event or function, as well as an outstanding patio overlooking the garden for those warm summer days
Rouge boasts private meeting rooms for your next event or function, as well as an outstanding patio overlooking the garden for those warm summer days
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Rouge - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Rouge reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)special occasion (112)romantic (106)notable wine list (74)neighborhood gem (61)great for outdoor dining (35)good for groups (29)scenic view (19)great for lunch (15)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Food allergies, no problem.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We had the chef's tasting menu for our meal which was six courses design by the chef. They had to work around a dairy allergy for one of us and a wheat and corn allergy for the other. The meal was fantastic from the amuse bouche to the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceBennieDined on 11/17/2014We had just the most wonderful meal and service that I have had in a long time. I had not been there in a long time and will not wait so long to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dining experienceSuperbDined on 11/17/2014From champagne and caviar to wine selection with our lobster meal and a Grappa experience like no other, our overall dining experience was exceptional. The Rouge lives up to its name!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 35 anniversarymikeDined on 11/15/2014I wish to thank by name Reda, Mike, Marie, and Jamie for their lovely service. Honorable mention to the chef who's name may not be included. This was our 35 anniversary on November 16 and the restaurant was a great experience. The food was excellent and atmosphere perfect. Our main courses were lobster and sturgeon. Thank you for getting the flowers for the table on rather short notice. We came here for our 30th anniversary and believe this experience was even better then the first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014The waiter we had Marco was amazing. Very professional and knowledgeable. The food was amazing!! Only complaint that I had was that I had ordered the butter poached lobster and the tail was way too tough. Tasty but tough. Everything else was flawless. I would recommend the pork belly with scallops!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We had a romantic anniversary dinner at Rouge. I didn't like some dishes(plates) that don't match the food and atmosphere. Price was overwhelming but it was ok for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service missingMarkinCalgaryDined on 11/8/2014For a restaurant with such fantastic food and wine the service this weekend was sorely lacking. Half the main course eaten before our wine arrived. Over 20 minutes of conversation with only water glasses on the table. Then the waiter reappeared to offer dessert menus. No mention of a port, or dessert wine.Special Features:
- Food fabulous -service even betterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014A group of 4 of us reserved a table prior to the theatre. The menu items were all interesting; we had a tough time deciding what to eat. I ordered the lobster bisque to start and the 36 hour pork/scallop dish. It was delicious, and the soup had excellent flavours and not heavy at all like some bisques can be. Everyone, except one loved their dishes they had the duck breast and lamb. The fellow who didn't like his ate it all any ways, he was expecting a lamb shank but apparently doesn't know how to read as the menu description was identical to the dish he received. Wine list was surprisingly broad and included a number of nice wines under 100$. Service was perfect, total including a couple of desserts to share was $300 for four so OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerAndrewDined on 11/7/2014Wonderful experience. Food was absolute blast and service incredibly pleasant. We will come back for sure.Special Features:
- Don't miss the tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014The tasting menu and wine pairinGS are great! Don't miss that combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let downwilltryanythingDined on 11/7/2014Didn't recognize the booking as a birthday celebration (it was mentioned at time of booking) Amuse bouche was forgotten and we had to point it out. Pie crust at the dessert course was doughy. It did not feel at all like a special celebration, but a let down and definitely not an experience worth paying close to $500.00 for.
- Great food, great serviceSpronovoDined on 11/4/2014Had an amazing time at Rouge last Tuesday for my husband's birthday. Our server, Ryan, was fantastic and very knowledgable. The food was awesome, especially enjoyed the duck egg appetizer and the signature lamb dish. A memorable night for us!Special Features:
- amazingmaximeDined on 10/30/2014the server did everything perfectly. friendly and very polite. he know everything about the restaurant wine and food wich i totaly loved having an answer to every question i had. dont recall his name but he speak french from montreal and he is lite redhead if i remember well. very great restaurant. amazing food. 1 glass of wine is to xpensive for 16$, we didnt really get the "5oz". it was more like 3.. for the price id like to get the right ammount. everything else is fair food qualiry and price wise. will definitly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience at RougeImakestacksDined on 10/25/2014Very great service from our waitor Ryan, he was on point and was a delight to have great service for once. The food was elegant and very tasteful. Rouge is a gem found in Inglewood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experiencerachmcconDined on 10/24/2014We can to Rouge for my boyfriends birthday. The staff from the moment we entered were excellent. Greeted us and wished my boyfriend a happy birthday. Our server Ryan was excellent giving us amazing reccomendations as we allowed him to take control of our wine pairings with our dinner ( the chefs creation ) which he nailed. The staff worked well together all were well knowledged on the menu. It was an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellent service!zandoDined on 10/22/2014If you just need to fill up your stomach - this is not the place to do it. If you want to try first class cooking, excellent ingredients, elegant presentation - and still be in Calgary - visit Rouge. The choices on the menu are not countless but cover the specrtum of the regular man. The dishes arrive fast, elegantly arranged, warmed just right, and when you taste them - angels start singing in the room. The servers are polite and attentive without being in your face. The price is on the high side, but absolutely corresponding to the level of service and quality of food.Special Features:
- FantasticlobstaDined on 10/22/2014My girlfriend and I went their for our anniversary and had a great time. We were pleasantly sat at a secluded romantic table and was treated a signed card from the staff wishing us a happy anniversary. Our server Ryan was fantastic, knowledgeable and it never felt like we were over or underserved. The food was great, as to be expected, but the portions were a bit small compared to other tasting menus we have tried. Pacing was a bit on the slow side durring the first 3 courses, but improved later on in the meal. Overall a great dining experience, would recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Culture in Cow TownMadMax496Dined on 10/18/2014It was our first dinner at Rouge. I’ve always said that Calgary needs some more culture and we found some. Ryan, our server was very attentive and informative with the wines we were drinking and food that was coming out, as were all the other servers. Our meal was the Chief’s special. A 6-course meal with a different wine mated for each course. It was an epic dining experience and Rouge should be at the top your dining bucket list in CalgarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice night out.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Had been wanting to try Rouge for a while. We had high expectations and were generally happy with the meal. Jamie was very attentive without being intrusive and made our dining experience pleasant. Sommelier chose some very nice wines for us. Food was interesting and unique. Flavours were good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceToneDined on 10/18/2014The service was top notch with very friendly staff and our waiter was very attentive. We all tried the chef's 6 course meal and every dish was delicious, although the main entree elk could have been more flavourful. Pricing is on the higher end but not unreasonable.Special Features:
- Loved It!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This is a lovely little restaurant! Beautiful and charming.. the wait staff were professional and the food was AMAZING. We had the Chefs tasting menu and the only negative feedback I can say about it, on some of the courses the portions were too big and it was a little rushed. When my husband and I get out for an evening to eat a 6 course meal we want to take our time. The wine was great! the food was great! loved it! We will definitely go back when we are in Calgary again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Brilliant local food creations...amazing taste combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularsregularsDined on 10/10/2014Our 'alumni 'group of 5 has been meeting twice yearly at Rouge for a leisurely lunch for 5+ years now. We love the ambiance and the food is always delicious. We never feel rush and have time for a great visit. We actually discussed trying a new spot next time but all agreed we'd come back to Rouge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special occasionEllisFunDined on 10/8/2014A dear friend was recently visiting from out of town and it happened to be her birthday during her visit. To celebrate her properly I decided to book a table for a birthday dinner at Rouge where we chose to do the chef's tasting dinner with premium wine pairings. What an incredible experience it was! The food, presentation, service and knowledge from the staff was fantastic. (Allergy restrictions were beautifully handled) The restaurant was quiet, but still had us feeling at ease in its warm ambiance. It was a really lovely way to showcase local produce and food in a very elevated way to an English visitor and despite a week full of sightseeing and eating at Calgary's hotspots, this stood out as the most memorable experience all weekSpecial Features:
- Best in CalgaryReviewerVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had the Chef's tasting menu. Beautiful. Flavors galore. Each dish was special. Complementing and contrasting flavors makes you want to eat each item separately, just to enjoy it. Well portioned. We were full but not stuffed. Chose a less expensive wine and it did not disappoint.Special Features:
- food was outstanding.BarbDined on 10/4/2014We had the chef's selection and every course was delicious. My only complaint was that it was a very warm night (for october) and the room was quite warm. Probably could have opened the windows more widely. If I go back I would request a seat by the window as being situated against the wall in a table for two was a bit "airless". Having said that the food was outstanding as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!chingDined on 10/4/2014The food was incredible , we go to alot of fancy restaurant and try alot of different types of food. This food was some of the best that we have ever had. We went for my husbands birthday and they went above and beyond to make his day extra special, the services what excellent and we are planning on visiting again and again. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decentfodx123Dined on 10/4/2014I had heard very amazing things about Rouge, so I had very high expectations, I am a "foodie" so I was quite excited. The service was outstanding, the presentation was very elegant and nice, but the food it self was nothing amazing, it was very good, but I was not blown away, nor did I thinking I can't wait to dine their again. It is also more of a restraunt for older people, it's extremely quite and really doesn't have much atmosphere at all.Special Features:
- lovetoeatDined on 10/2/2014A wonderful restaurant for business lunches, meetings and special dinners. It has a wonderful ambience. The staff are attentive and the food amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rouge Over-Delivers!JacqStratDined on 10/1/2014This is an outstanding place to have a romantic dinner, but I often bring clients here for lunch. Lunch menu is not as expensive as you might think. But the atmosphere and service always gives the best possible impression. And it's never noisy or too crowded at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014great tasting menu, utilized plenty from restaurant's garden.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerGr8hanzDined on 9/29/2014Food and service were impeccable. Chef noted any suggestions. I found the lobster dish a little on the salty side. Fois gras salad was delicious. My partner's soup made from sunflower hearts was exquisite. The send off at the end of the night was what I called: "chocolate for a year in a ball" because that's what it tasted like. The waitress went back to the chef to ask if she could now use that title to describe his freshly made chocolate trouffles. He answered with a resounding "yes".Special Features:
- Great date night !MgimpyDined on 9/27/2014Had an amazing dinner at rouge over the weekend with with my girlfriend ! Both of us had the chef menu with wine pairings. If your scared to try new things maybe not the best thing for you(baby pigeon beef tar tar and duck liver) all were amazing tho once u tried everything on your plate in a bite. The meal took about three hours tho since there are so many courses 7-8 and different wines to finish. More on the expensive side from a plain Jane dinner at the keg but worth every penny! I will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but overpricedLuv2eatDined on 9/26/2014The service was fantastic and the food was good but unbelievably overpriced. Paid $300 for tasting menu and we both left hungry...Special Features:
- Chef's Tasting MenuKrispyBitesVIPDined on 9/20/2014I was told that the 6-course tasting menu changes weekly. Each course is exciting and showcases the chefs' superb cooking skills. I particularly enjoyed the pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. It tasted like pumpkin puree with just the right balance of cheese and egg. The half-cured salmon was also excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceluvafindDined on 9/19/2014We had heard many good things about Rouge and had to try it. Loved the setting and ambiance of this restaurant, very quaint and comfortable. Food is unique and excellent right down to the plating. To start we had the Northern Divine Caviar and then the Spiced Lobster Broth and Wild Mushroom Salad which we loved. Our mains equally good (Beef Tenderloin and Lamb Loin). We enjoy our wines and the wine list did not disappoint. The sommelier was very helpful and knowledgeable. We were, however, a little disappointed in some aspects of the service with this being a top restaurant in Calgary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Went with my wife for our anniversary and everything was delicious. We had the Tuna Conserva and Spiced Lobster for starters. For entrees, I had the Greens, Eggs and Ham Duck breast, while my wife got the 35 Hour Pork Belly. Finished with the chocolate torte.Special Features:
- We will be back.DSBEwenDined on 9/16/2014Please see above. Great food. Great service. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rouge experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014There were four in our group and we were all pleasantly pleased with the experience. The ambiance lent itself to a very intimate setting. Service was excellent and we were well looked after. The food on the whole was above par, everything was cooked and presently very well. I must say the cheese plate at the end of the meal was disappointing, I think a better selection of cheeses would have worked better. Rouge is not the place to go if one is watching their budget, it is very expensive. If you do got to Rouge just be aware it will be very expensive, but I think worth it.Special Features:
- Excellent food at a good pricePastryAddictDined on 9/13/2014The quality of the ingredients and presentation of the food are excellent. We've come to this restaurant at least once a year and highly recommend it to everyone we meet. The food is priced reasonably for the generous portion and quality. Outstanding wine selection. The service and staff are typically phenomenal however the most recent visit was an exception. It took 2.5 hours from start to finish. I only had two courses and did not enjoy having to sit there for so long. The delay was most likely due to a wedding reception upstairs. Minor Recommendations: lower the price of beer ($8 a bottle is not reasonable), ensure all tables don't wobble, and update the online menu to correspond the restaurant menu.Special Features: