La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza
100 E. San Francisco Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafondasantafe.com/
- Phone: 5059952334
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Southwest, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Lane Warner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza
La Plazuela was the hotel’s original 1920s patio and it retains that sunlit Old World charm. Skylights flood the dining room with natural light and handsome carved furnishings, artisanal lighting, and our much-loved hand painted windows create a beautiful, inviting room to gather, to dine and to make memories in. The menu was crafted to showcase old favorites with New World influences and authentic New Mexican cuisine, and our award-winning wine list is exceptional. La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza is Santa Fe’s gathering place. Come dine with us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza - Best Restaurants in Santa Fe ›
La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (49)romantic (38)fit for foodies (37)great for lunch (24)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (22)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014Intimate, quiet dining. The food was very well-prepared, if a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb find in Santa FepaljoeysmomDined on 9/13/2014My BF and I came to Santa Fe to celebrate my birthday. Found this resturant on Open Table and decided to give it a try. The dining room is very posh and pretty. We had exceptional service on the 2 nights we fined here, The first night we asked for chips and salsa which were not onthe menu. They happily obliged with warm chips and tasty salsa. BF and I split a Caesar salad which was yummy. Portions here are Very Large so splitting entrees is a good idea even if you are big eaters like us. We had the tamales, chicken, and the fajita's all extra large plates and absolutely delicious. They have very good bread and rolls as well. We often go out for fine dining and this place is definitely in my top 5 for overall dining. A true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminds us of a national park lodge4thgenerationLouisianaDined on 9/7/2014Ate late on a Sunday night. Rellenos were wonderful with the green sauce. Wife's house margarita was the only thing that left something to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great experienceAlmaVIPDined on 9/7/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner at La Plazuela. My waitress Aviva was attentive, but not intrusive. The tableside guacamole is worth it, even if you are dining alone. It was delicious, even the next day as a snack. The chile rellenos were the best I had in Santa Fe - lightly fried and still crunchy when served. I'd go back just to enjoy them again, though there are many more great sounding items on the menuSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/31/2014Great restaurant and reasonably priced. I had enchiladas and they were outstanding. Very accommodating service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef needs more trainingTheperfectbelleDined on 8/31/2014This is my second time at this restaurant, the first time everything was perfect! The food was amazing. I went back after about 6 months and my how things had changed. I ordered a similar dish - the filet mignon - however this time the filet was over-cooked. I asked for medium and it was burnt on the outside and nothing was pink in the middle. I returned it and the second one was much better but still a little over-cooked. By this point however my whole table had dinner and was waiting on me to finish so I just ate it to get out of there. My husband had the elk filet, and again the cook did not have any consistency in the preparation. He asked for medium rare and of the three filets - none met this requirement. We were so disappointed.
- Good hotel restaurantsterlisrDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant was cute and the food was good. It wasn't exactly a spot for foodies, but definitely worked for us. The tableside guacamole was great.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014We had the best time. Angel was able to make great recommendations of the food and wine, his knowledge was extensive. The rooms ambiance is beautiful with the amber chandler and tree lights. The food is outstanding, flavors of Northern New Mexico. The wine list is extensive with over 100 selections, great pricing too. We can't wait to return when we visit Santa Fe again. Thank you so much for the hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs ImprovementDisappointedDined on 8/24/2014The service on this night was extremely bad. Took 10 minutes for waiter to finally take order. Didn't see him again for over 30 minutes. Had to go to reception with glass in hand to ask for a refill for my drink (soda). The guacamole or avocados were brown on the inside. When we asked the server about it, he simply stated this is how they came on that day and proceeded to make the salad (he wasn't eating it of course). The entrees were served about an hour from the time the order was placed. This is a popular restaurant but on this Sunday night they were not crowded and the quality of food and service was way poorer than when they are busy.
- Old Mexico on the PlazaFoodfor2Dined on 8/24/2014La Plazuela never disappoints. If one enjoys great food, excellent service and the feeling of dining in old Mexico, this restaurant is a must. We had the chile rellenos and cheese enchiladas, both cooked to perfection ( I am quite fussy about rellenos). They must be encased in a light, crispy batter - not soggy. These were some of the best I have ever had. The red chile was properly spicy with a good "after burn".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite in Santa Fe!Localgal235Dined on 8/24/2014Reasonably priced. Friendly, knowledgable and attentive staff. Wonderful variety of meals for all palates. I'm a local here and will be back!!Special Features:
- Soutwest gourmetTiburonhombreDined on 8/23/2014Set in a classic Santa Fe hotel, the restaurant has an interesting mix of SW style favorites, standard fare and even wild game. Deep fried squash blossoms stuffed with chees are an exotic appetizer;Special Features:
- Southwest fareTryonDined on 8/20/2014We had the fajitas for 2 and it was a lot of food. Great tasting especially the posole. Great food for a hotel restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful glocljc1Dined on 8/20/2014The gloc was perfect; they roast the garlic and peppers, and prepare it in front of you. That gives a person the chance to customize it. The hominy was also perfectSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014First off my review is too long to post here in detail. Our service was terrible and the food wasn't nothing to rave about or write home about. One small detail I will add with the given amount of space about the service is that when we declined dessert we were charged for a dessert. We will not be returning. And, I would not recommend this place to family or a friend.Special Features:
- Prime Rib DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014I've had lots of prime rib, but this was easily one of the best! Tender, juicy and wonderful!!Special Features:
- A great dinnerPatti09Dined on 8/11/2014My husband and I had a very nice dinner. The restaurant was very busy at our reservation time, so we went to the bar for a fabulous margarita. We returned later and were shown to our table immediately. Service was very good. Our waitress was busy but managed several tables effortlessly. The food was very good. I am not really fond of posole, but there was a helping of it on my plate and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Spectacular mealMNtravellerDined on 8/9/2014My friend had the elk steak, which I got to taste. It was exceptionally good -- great flavor, perfectly cooked. The server was incredibly accommodating with his requests for substitutions of the sides that came with it. I couldn't decide between the rellenos and tamales, and the server offered to do a plate of one of each. Now that's a great server! The relleno was the best I have ever had -- and I have had hundreds. Everything about the experience was fantastic. I'm really glad we had reservations, too, because they were completely full. We are definitely going back to La Plazuela when we return to Santa Fe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below ExpectationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014The food was average which really surprised me, given the write-ups I've seen. Service was very poor and slow. It was a pretty "courtyard" like dining room, which is unique. Nothing stands out with the menu. It was supposed to be a birthday celebration, so was a bit disappointed with the overall experienceSpecial Features:
- Amazing...againduncansoonerDined on 8/4/2014We have eaten here on our last 2 trips to Santa Fe. It has become a tradition of sort. The food was amazing. The service is impeccable and the overall experience is top shelf.Special Features:
- A very pleasant experienceheaderDined on 8/1/2014Our first time at this particular restaurant in Santa Fe although we've eaten in their bar many times. It was delicious, well-prepared, with excellent service. The room is beautiful and light with lovely glass panels all around. We will return.Special Features:
- Great spot!TavrofanVIPDined on 7/29/2014It was a great find while visiting Santa Fe. Decoration was beautiful, food was taste, service was great. We had a nice big table for 2 of us. It's in the same building as La Fonda hotel and some stores so it's fun to walk around.Special Features:
- SO BUT.........NOT NOTEABLE FOODGoodeatsDined on 7/28/2014I love la Fonda but the service was so slow we began at 6pm and it was almost 9 before we left.....terribly slow service. And then the food was disapointing. My Sea Bass was not really tasty or moist, I dine out all the time and have had recently had fabulous see food at Midtown Bistro. I will always love the ambiance here and the history but will choose another place got dine on my birthday.Special Features:
- Summer BreakGranManDined on 7/17/2014Loved the atmosphere and the food. Service was good and staff was friendly. My family really enjoyed it and we would definitely stop by again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!PleasedVIPDined on 7/12/2014La Plazuela is our favorite restaurant in Santa Fe! Terrific enchiladas and margaritas! Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful roomJcaveDined on 7/12/2014This spot in the center of the La Fonda is one o the most attractive dining rooms in he city. Food is good and service excellent.Special Features:
- Great MargaritasRobinDined on 7/11/2014Food was good. Margaritas were great. Much better than another place in town that is supposed to have the best margs. Pleased with service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Northern New Mex cuisineMonarchBeachBumDined on 7/10/2014This is our first time to Santa Fe and didn't want to end up with a commercialized New Mexican cuisine. We were looking for authentic Northern New Mexican food near the Plaza. This place did not dissapoint. Try the beef enchiladas and the pork tamales. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummySperson18VIPDined on 7/10/2014We really had an excellent meal. We all chose to stick with the Mexican Flare including Margaritas and everything was great. We all shared tastes of each others food and raved about them all. We would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014We had the best time. Stormi was great, she was fun and very attentive. The food was outstanding, from the first bite to the last. We will be back soon. Great wine list too.Special Features:
- hight class mexican cookingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Classical mexican food adapted to the new way of cooking, the taste are more complex and subtile with a n interesting use of product that i discover :green rice, grilled bean,a type of cornvery tastywith big grains. It is more expensive that a classical mexical but the price is correct regarding to the qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Santa Fe restaurantChicagofavsVIPDined on 6/22/2014We visited this restaurant on a recent visit to Santa Fe at the recommendation of a friend. We had wonderful drinks at the rooftop bar and then a delicious dinner in the beautiful hotel . The staff were efficient , friendly and professional. We will return to this beautiful restaurant again on our next visit to Santa FeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southwest inspiredSteveVIPDined on 5/29/2014We were in Sante Fe sightseeing and taking in the cuisine of the region. The dishes here at La Plazuela were New Mexican and Southwestern inspired specialties, just what we were looking for. Tamales and enchiladas were savory and smothered with cheese and sauces of the region. The delicate green and bolder red chile sauces were truly delicious. The hominy and bean side dishes were very good, as well. Our server, Ian, was very attentive and had been the bartender here for several years. He recommended a jalapeño margarita that was very interesting with the bite of pepper and a great accompaniment to my meal. The decor is delightful with all the surrounding panes of glass painted with a southwest or American Indian motif. Must do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satna Fe gemplazadjDined on 5/29/2014La PLazuela at La Fonda is always a first choice when we visit Santa Fe. Excellent food, wait staff and décor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joser22VIPDined on 5/28/2014Unfortunately, we only tried the guacamole appetizer and two margaritas. When we asked if everything was in the menu, we were told "Yes". When it came time to order dinner, we ordered the Elk and were told "oops, we don't have that tonight". This plate was the reason we went there. Obviously, we left and had dinner somewhere else. Give it a try, but confirm up front that they have what you want to eat before ordering anything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alfred 28 May 2014Appraiser22Dined on 5/28/2014Food and drinks were good, but not exceptional. Margaritas were small and expensive for what we got. There are better options for drinks and service within a couple of blocks walk. The old hotel still provides a great atmosphere, if for nothing more than the history. We specifically were there to see Syd Masters & The Swing Riders in the lounge. They are ALWAYS TERRIFFIC entertainers. The bar scene - especially the dance floor - simply lit up and was continually packed with folks enjoying great Cowboy music mixed with some traditional favorites. I still am wondering why Open Table did not give us any Dining Points for using them to book our reservation at this establishment.Special Features:
- MtnfolkMtnfolkDined on 5/25/2014We ate here in the spring. Mgreat margs. Great enchiladas. They room and the hotel lobby are beautifully decorated and authentic southwest. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Good Food in beautiful settingNJtigerDined on 5/25/2014The food and service was very good and the setting in a converted Mexican courtyard in an historic inn made it a memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Santa Fe Ambience and FoodRussiangirlDined on 5/24/2014La Plazuela never ever disappoints. The changing seasonal menu is always inventive and the New Mexico specialties are always the best.Special Features:
- Lunch yes--Dinner noJohnDined on 5/24/2014Nice setting, vibrant, colorful---We had dinner reservations--the quail tacos were tasty but the dinner specials lacking--the elk was tough & served quite Raw and the New Mexico lamb chops were also tough.........Historic building--minus a good ChefSpecial Features: