The M & M Restaurant & Bar
2401 Church St
Galveston, TX 77550Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The M & M Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mmgalveston.com/
- Phone: 4097667170
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Saturday: 11:00am-3:45pm Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm-9:00pm Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Executive Chef: Freddy Oramous
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Freddy Oramous 4097667170
- Entertainment: Live Local entertainment Thursday, Friday and Sunday Nights. Great Acoustic music from the Galveston-Houston area. Never a cover charge.
A word from The M & M Restaurant & Bar
Welcome to The M&M. We are an upbeat, upscale Island Casual Tavern-- a place for locals as well as visitors to the island to gather. Located in historic downtown Galveston, our building was built in 1844. We have many drink and food specials far too numerous to mention. We feature Live Acoustic Entertainment three nights per week from local artists. We feature a "Backyard" style secluded patio and it is pet friendly. The M&M....Friendly, Affordable and Island Casual.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The M & M Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Galveston ›
The M & M Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (11)special occasion (11)romantic (10)fit for foodies (10)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fabulous Food and ServiceskimanDined on 10/11/2014Our first time to eat at M&MN. A wonderful combination of really great food and fabulous service. I recommend the avocado pancakes to start. For a main meal had the pecan crusted snapper - absolutely perfect! And, help yourself to some M&M's on the way out!Special Features:
- Fantastic food and servicecmaekerDined on 10/3/2014Wow...what a treat! M&M was recommended by foodie friends, and it was outstanding. The restaurant has a good ambiance, excellent service, and unique, memorable food without ever being stuffy. The avocado pancakes were divine and very unique. The pancakes were followed by the most decadent, velvety lobster bisque we've ever had. The avocado grouper was a little salty, but still delicious. It is worth a trip to Galveston just to go here, and we will make return visits to do just that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic birthday dinnerchoosing2dinelocalDined on 9/27/2014Saturday night and a group of 10 celebrating 2 birthday days. Fun...fun...fun. Reserved our table online and it was ready for us when we arrived. For starters some lobster bisque and salads along with the complimentary hot bread. Several had the steak dinner special, fried shrimp dinner, apple pork chops, the Ponchartrain, and one even had a rib eye steak sandwich. All came out hot, cooked right, and delicious. Jim, our favorite server, was fabulous and entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BagmanDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I went to the M & M for the first time. I think we've found our new favorite restaurant in Galveston. The service was efficient, and both of our selections were excellent. The Grouper was cooked perfectly and the flavor was wonderful. My wife had the crab cakes which were also very good. The serving was large enough that the balance of her dinner made a great lunch the next day. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected find.TroxeDined on 9/20/2014What a surprise! The service and food was outstanding. We will be returning each and every time we go to Galveston.Special Features:
- Never disappointingRestherDined on 9/1/2014Celebrated my significant other's birthday - had a blast, the food was amazing, and waiting staff was very friendly and tentative. We stayed for hours, was super comfortable. Dined at the restaurant one year ago and had the same experience - great food and wine and service. You won't regret dining hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014The food is really tasty and great for out of town guests. Always good service. Great margarita. Always see locals and friends.Special Features:
- We'll be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Our first time but won't be our last. Awesome appetizers & steaks were tender & cooked perfectly. Was a great experience at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Crab and Avacado Pancakes!SweetloveandBunnyDined on 8/17/2014Great place that locals enjoy. Try the Crab and Avacado Pancakes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menu, food and serviceBigjohncarpVIPDined on 8/2/2014M&M was a great surprise for our group of seven 4 adults and three teenagers. Everyone started with the Avocoda Pancakes, then going their own way for the salads/soups and entree. The wine was list was had a good variety and excellent choices, reasonably priced as well. Steaks were tender and tasty. Tuna was fresh and cooked to perfection. Chicken Marsala was excellent. Good salads and soups and the large main dishes left no room for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findhappydinerDined on 8/2/2014We wanted a good steak in a seafood town and M&M really delivered for us. I suspect their seafood dishes are also good, but the steaks were tender and cooked exactly to our specifications. Nice wine list, good cocktails, excellent and friendly service from the waitstaff. We also liked the casual and quiet ambience. We'll go again on our next trip to Galveston.Special Features:
- The following 128 reviews are from the The M & M Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- First time thereNotkidfriendlyDined on 6/15/2014This was my first time here. Service was extremely slow- took about 20 minutes to get our non-alcoholic drinks which is entirely too long. We had a 20 month old and a 3 year old and the waitress took forever in getting every thing. Our water got hot because she didn't come to refill fast enough but eventually brought us the jar of water to pour ourselves which didn't help when we had no ice in our cups. I also wanted to substitute my vegetable medley for a side salad and was told I could but it would have to replace both my sides, including my mashed potatoes. I thought that was crazy. A $28 meal and I can't switch out a side for a salad?!?!! Needless to say my first experience wasn't good and honestly I, personally won't be back.Special Features:
- Father's Day at M&MJWatMnM4yumDined on 6/15/2014We have dined at M&M many times, mostly in the evenings. We were looking forward to trying the Sunday brunch w/music. Instead, there was no music, just radio station, commercials and all. Short on wait staff and lots of kids. But all in all the food was fabulous as always. Just a small glitch in what we hoped would be a special occasion meal. Going back this week for lunch! Still a great place over all!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchVIPDined on 6/14/2014Very disappointing. Fried Oyster were inedible and the Gumbo was served less than Luke warm. The crab cake sandwich was just average. The wedge salad needed to be more crisp.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014excellent food and service at reasonable (not cheap) prices. High quality!Special Features:
- Mother's Day DinnerwinemamaDined on 5/11/2014Enjoyed the quieter location and laid-back atmosphere. Away from traffic and noise. Food was very good, nice presentation. Especially enjoyed the tuna ceviche appetizer and the crab cakes dinner. Server was friendly and helpful with dining choices. Would have dinner there again and try some of the other items on the menu. Wine list was ok, not adventuresome, medium priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectSeagurlDined on 5/10/2014We came in at lunch to celebrate a graduation. The food was delicious and the wait staff was wonderful. My grandfather was with us and he is hard of hearing and the noise level was perfect to have a conversation with him and the whole table.Special Features:
- Not sure we were served Prime RibChristineRDined on 5/8/2014We tried the M&M again on a Thursday evening for an advertised "Prime Rib Thursdays" special. While the price was reasonable for the food served, we aren't quite sure the meat was actually prime rib??? The restaurant looks tired and could use a good cleaning (yes, we know the building is old). Not sure we will visit again, so many other restaurants on the island...
- Awful PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2014Wow where to start. My mother wanted Crab cakes, we were told the chef had been alone and was too busy to make them?? Come on it takes a couple of mins to whip up a crab cake!! She ordered Bourbon Chicken, wondered why they gave her a steak knife, well it was like leather. I ordered Mahi Pontcherain and it had a few mushrooms and 3 tiny crawfish tails on top. I complained and the waiter brought a little bowl with a piece of crab and a couple of shrimp but did inform me that the 'chef' claimed he sent it out right originally. Honestly as a Galveston resident I have given this place a couple of chances, they need a manager or owner who cares about the customers. Place was pretty empty other than bar..don't waste your time go to Rudy and Pacos
- Nice evening outHTownTravellerDined on 4/25/2014Cool small restaurant, service was lovely but food was not great. Galveston restaurants in general are not particularly good food-wise (with very few exceptions) and overpriced - this one is similarly in the pack. Nice wines and appetizers (ceviche a bright spot) but half of our seafood was overlooked (truly need a professional chef to do a better job here). Sides very good (veggies cooked perfectly, garlic mashed potatoes good too but huge portion of this). Desserts good but not memorable. Enjoyed the ambiance immensely and we could talk to each other without shouting.Special Features:
- M&M mmmmmmm.....BraveheartVIPDined on 4/25/2014This is our "go to" restaurant for special evenings and when we have folks in from out of town. Our waiter Denis was attentive and encouraging, helpful with choices and super all through the evening. The Cajun pasta was heavenly, the Diablo snapper well seasoned. All dishes were delicious down to the Cream Brûlée. It's a great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014Food and service were great. They often have live entertainment on Saturday nights but we went on a Friday night when they had live entertainment which turned out to be very good.Special Features:
- First visit awesome, 2nd okay...MikeDined on 4/8/2014We ate here back in Nov. 2013 and the food was the best we've ever tasted. This trip was not quite the same. The food was good, but nothing better than good. The waitress was nice, but not as friendly and eager to wait on us as previous visit waitress was. Seems like they must have had a different cook on previous visit. We may give it another try just to see if we experience same as first or second visit and then decide, although it is pricey for only good food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem!Appetite4lifeDined on 4/5/2014Everything about M&M was wonderful. Service, ambience and food was terrific! Definitely a place to enjoy with family , a loved one or for business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- M&M a Gem!BraveheartVIPDined on 3/29/2014Dennis, our waiter, made our dining experience a wonderful evening. The restaurant was very busy. but our Open Table reservation got us straight to our table. This was the first visit for our dining guests. We stayed on the seafood part of the menu all evening, and they did not disappoint. The snapper diablo was excellent; my husbands scallops disappeared before I could taste one. Our friends had the pecan crusted snapper and the cajun pasta. There was great music by the duo in the bar. This is my favorite restaurant for special evenings in Galveston. Great job, M&M!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff is great!JulieDined on 3/22/2014We had a great time! My steak was perfectly cooked. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local place. Good food,SamHoustonVIPDined on 3/7/2014Great local place. Good food, reasonable wine list.Special Features:
- Good not great. We had thebddudeVIPDined on 3/7/2014Good not great. We had the flounder and salmon specials and although good, I've had better.Special Features:
- best kept secret in galvestonkikifieldsDined on 3/1/2014We absolutely live m&m and come here every time we r on the island. Excellent food, try the avocado grouper u won't b disappointed! Great ambieance, great drinks, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyWhoaDined on 3/1/2014My wife and I recently visited and this place is worth the hour and a half drive that we made. Easily one of the best places we have ever dined. The M&M mojito is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience - will returnLocalDined on 2/27/2014We are happy with this restaurant. It feels comfortable has some great appetizer/drink specials Mon-Thr before 7pm. There are a couple areas that could be improved. The service while friendly and mostly prompt also was befuddled by any special requests like requesting pan fried instead of grilled; he didn't know and did not check just seemed unsure. Don't think English was his first language. The fried oysters were not up to the local tough standards nor up to par with the rest of the meals eaten here. That's the less than stellar part but the tuna ceviche, the avocado on pancake appetizers are great as were the other dishes we've tried here: grouper, prime rib and tuna although the tuna was done more than as requested. Left full & happySpecial Features:
- You'll See Me AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014Hidden off the main tourist roads your restaurant is truly a wonderful find for those willing to look. Having eating three times at your restaurant, I can tell that your cooks take pride in their food and your servers are always friendly. I'll will definitely be coming back in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine's DayAndyDined on 2/14/2014We went to M & M for Valentine's Day. They had a great menu for Valentine's Day or you could choose for the menu. Either option would have been great. We choose the Valentine's Day menu & all of the entree's were great. The service was good too. Very friendly staff.Special Features:
- OFF THE BEATEN PATHVALENTINEDined on 2/14/2014We love this place. The food is great and the service as well. They have recently added entertainment which is nice -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrated our weddingJamaicaDined on 2/14/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary on 2/14/14 and the experience was very good. We were greeted and seated very nicely and our server was a doll. The food as usual was very good, with nice portion sizes.Special Features:
- Great Galveston GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014We have been to M&M a number of times. Past experiences were spotty. Sometimes good, sometimes the service was off. We had reservations for Valentine's Day. M&M really pulled it all together on a night where restaurants can struggle staying on their game. Our server, Arnold, was excellent. Great mix of professional, respectful and personal. Good food, nice wine and great service was very much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and MusicDannyDined on 2/14/2014The Food, Service and ambiance was wonderful. The appetizer platter was large and delicious - the dip was amazing!! We all had steaks - excellent qulaity and taste with the scalloped potatoes delicious!!! They also had a muscial group which has a fantastic female singer - started off with Whitney Houston's I will always Love you and she hit the high notes. Wine and mixed drinks very good!! M&M's candy on the way out Great Valentine's experience we will be back for a normal dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real TreatLizLabDined on 12/31/2013This was our first time to dine at M&M. It was New Year's Eve, and they were totally accommodating to us in terms of getting us in on such a busy night. There was a great 3 piece jazz band which was not too loud at all. My husband had fried oysters, and he said they were the best he has ever had. The rest of us had equally great food. Service was attentive. Can't say enough good things about M&M. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fooddjmax101Dined on 12/31/2013This place has the vibe of your neighborhood restaurant and sports an older crowd, but the food was amazing (my wife and I had probably the best seafood we have eaten since we moved to Texas). We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed NewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013We thoroughly enjoyed New Year's Eve. Food, price and service were tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.