19192 Hwy. 8
Morrison, CO 80465Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefort.com/
- Phone: 3036974771x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Matt Crow
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Indian flute music on select nights.
- Special Events: Tesoro Cultural Center's 1830's Rendezvous and Spainsh Colonial Market coming up Sept. 28, 29, 2013 from 10am-5pm both days! Meet the mountinmen, and experience the Early West. Free parking and free admission. Fun for families !
A word from The Fort
Situated in the Red Rocks country 17 miles southwest of Denver on Hwy 285, The Fort is a true replica of Bent's Fort, the first American community west of the Missississippi & rendezvous of Kit Carson & other "Mountain Men". The nine dining rooms, seating 350, are white plastered over adobe. Unusual but hearty dishes, typical of the early West, are provided from open grills. Waugh!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
The Fort - Best Restaurants in Morrison ›
The Fort reviews from OpenTable diners
398 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (311)scenic view (293)romantic (141)fit for foodies (119)good for groups (117)great for outdoor dining (93)notable wine list (84)kid-friendly (39)neighborhood gem (35)late-night find (15)great for brunch (13)hot spot (13)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Hold the FortOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Fantastic location, interesting history, unique menu, friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Fun for 40thOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I took my husband to The Fort for his 40th. Making the reservation online was quick and easy. I received a day of phone call to confirm as well. We were welcomed to the fort by an authentically dressed frontiersman. There was a fire in the fire pit with a heavenly aroma that really got us salivating. We were seated right away at a table for two near a window. Great views and even though the place was decently busy, the noise level was decent. Barrett was great. He made accommodations for our gluten allergy and we were able to have the duck quesadilla (delicious) on corn instead of flour tortillas. He also let us know which items were gluten free on the menu. We had elk, buffalo and quail. Yum! You have to try it for yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Fort is a Must See place 2 EatCyndiDined on 8/17/2014We traveled from California to Denver to go to a concert at Red Rocks. Since this was on my bucket list of things to do, just no ordinary food places would do. We made an early dinner reservation on OpenTable with ease. The Fort is just that...a big fort. The food was amazing. I had the duck Quessedilla to start accompanied with the white wine sangria that was to die for. I then had the hunters platter with elk, buffalo, and quail. Surprisingly it wasn't at all gamey. I then had a dessert called the Negrita, a chocolate delight!Special Features:
- sosoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The food was passable. I have had better steak for half the price. The buffalo tounge appetizers were dry and the braised cheese was not gooy as advertised and a little too salty. The service was great.Special Features:
- Time for a new chef?firsttimersDined on 8/16/2014The experience was great, our waiters were amazing, but the food was lacking. Thinking it may be time to hire a new chef, upgrade those ingredients and serve what you would expect from the pricetag on the entrees. Duck breast was tough, steak was thin and not cooked well, mac and cheese was dry. Appetizers were very good.. guacamole was very fresh, Rocky Mountain Oysters were tasty.Special Features:
- first timersgodiningDined on 8/16/2014we were indeed impressed with our dining experience at The Fort. The food was wonderful and our server was top notch. Although we don't generally spend that kind of money. It was a special occasion and on my husband's Bucket List ! :) We will return someday and recommend it for a special place to go dine.Special Features:
- Wild Game DinnerjalapenoisusDined on 8/15/2014We had friends visiting us in Colorado. We thought it would be great to bring them to the Fort. Only 1 of us had ever been. This place is great. We ordered 4 appetizers. Tongue [2 orders] to die for, jalapeno peppers [served cold with peanut butter] - OMG, who knew p'nut butter & jalapeno could be so tasty, quail eggs [2 out of 4 loved them, the other 2 not so crazy about them], bean dip which was very flavorful & had a nice bite to it. Entree's - 3 bison ribeyes, 1 quail. Excellent presentation & great tasting. Service was outstanding with Brian who was on top of everything, gave us opinions about our questions is the reason we ordered 2 tongue appetizers & the jalapeno. Definitely will return. This is a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confused RestaurantArynDined on 8/15/2014This place cannot decide if it is a theme restaurant or fine dining. The food was disappointing. The buffalo ribs looked great but didn't taste so great. The quail was excellent, eat quail if you go here. The elk and buffalo were chewy, I've had much better elsewhere. It was disappointing because game in Colorado should be excellent and this restaurant is not cheap. The view was excellent, but if you want great food, this is not the place to goSpecial Features:
- Such a great place!FFMcCDined on 8/15/2014My fiancé and I went here to celebrate our anniversary and everything tasted great, was cooked to perfection, plus it was hard to choose because everything had a unique twist to it that made each choice tempting! Definitely pricy but worth it. Service was fantastic even despite a forgotten glass of wine: but our waitress was so sweet it didn't matter. Definitely fantastic and came highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Always a treat on a special occasion. The room was a little too cool at first but they adjusted that quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally outstandingBennieDined on 8/12/2014We loved the food it was soooo delicious, and the montoya wine 2010 vintage was out of this world so was the trade whiskey with gun powder and tobacco!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food and atmospherehappydinerDined on 8/10/2014We celebrated an anniversary here. We were seated in a "quieter" section of the restaurant with a lovely view of the valley and mountains. This was a Sunday night and the place was packed, so would recommend reservations (we had them). We started with the Rocky Mountain oysters, which were prepared in a unique way and delicious - plentiful and very tender. The salad was good, too. One of us had the buffalo rib-eye, and it was cooked to perfection, the other had the duck breasts, which was delicious. Service was outstanding. The decor/atmosphere is 1800's frontier fort, so kids would love this place (and adults!). It is quite pricey, but a fun place to go occasionally.Special Features:
- one of Denver's best restaurant'sVonRothDined on 8/10/2014The food was magnificently cooked, thunder and moist. The atmosphere was for the truly romantic at heart. The only down side is for the wait-staff. Table's should not be cleared while other guests are eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Although the food was good, it was way overpriced. Not sure I would go again.Special Features:
- The Fort is AWESOME!MellerGoodCallDined on 8/9/2014We always hit the Fort for a special dinner when in Denver for our annual CO wedding anniversary trip. We're not sure which is better, the amazing scenic view or the fantastic food & drinks! The service is always great too. This is a must try to anyone looking for a fabulous unique Colorado dining experience. Go before sunset!Special Features:
- Tourist trap and too priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We were so excited to finally go to the fort after living in denver for 5 years but what a disappointment. My steak was just ok and my other food was cold. As was the table next to us who sent their food back. Felt it was way to pricey for the food that was served. The view is nice but otherwise it seems like a tourist attraction not a place to go for a really good steak:(Special Features:
- Colorado fareSPererDined on 8/9/2014Good native foods, prepared as ordered, fine atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Had family in from out of state and wanted them to experience something uniquely Denver/Colorado. We were able to make a reasonable reservation the day before, we were seated right away. The service was excellent, with a knowledgeable waitress who was very attentive and personable. The food, from appetizers to main course to dessert was absolute fabulous. Worth every penny. Prices are a bit high compared to your average "steak house" but the meal is far above average. The offerings are unique and well prepared and a unique taste experience. Everyone at our table of 4 ordered something different and we all loved what we had. Even the entertainment, a native flute player was fascinating and added to our enjoyment. Great view. Loved it.Special Features:
- The FortOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Had a wonderful time as always at The Fort! Love the ambiance and the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Atmosphere good, but not the food or the service. The water & ice had a strange flavor, hence ice ruined the taste of all the beverages. All but one of the meals was very overcooked. Left for another restaurant to enjoy dessert.Special Features:
- great atmospherekh123Dined on 8/7/2014I went with my family to celebrate my 30th birthday. Our waitress was outstanding! The food was delicious and we had a wonderful evening. Following the meal we checked out the view and explored the courtyard. The Fort is an upscale resturant with a relaxed atomsphere, I would recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedvinmanDined on 8/6/2014I ordered the Gonzalez style cut with buffalo. When served the steak was not what I ordered, but was quickly rectified. The steak was only fair due to a heavy fat content in the steak. I have visited the Fort for 40 plus years and hope this will be a one time experience!!!Special Features:
- awesomeDined on 8/6/2014Fantastic service, great food and very friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Awesome environmentFortloverDined on 8/5/2014We love everything about the Fort.... Great environment for a romantic dinner... The food is superb...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has gone downhillLDinerDined on 8/5/2014We got married here several years ago and chose this location for the fun old west feel but mainly for the food. The food at our wedding was excellent but in recently we have gone back 3 times and each time the food was pretty bad. We kept trying it thinking maybe we just went on a bad night but no, I now think they are making minimal effort and just trying to attract tourists, not repeat customers. The steaks were not seasoned at all and all the sides had clearly been sitting for several hours. We got the cobbler for dessert and the "oatmeal crumble" on top tasted like saw dust. It was basically flour with some sugar and cinnamon. It probably had 20 oats in the whole thing. The apples were clearly canned. Terrible! We will never go backSpecial Features:
- Excellent ExperienceCactusDined on 8/4/2014We have been eating at this restaurant for special occasions for almost 30 years. We love eating here. Our latest visit was the best yet. Every employee there could not do enough for us -- wait staff and management included. The food was delicious and so ample that we had some for lunch the next day. Truly a 5-star experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place, really.afinedinerDined on 8/4/2014I haven't been to the Fort in the 35 years I've been living in Denver. That was a mistake. This restaurant is one of the few that truly deserves it's stars. The food is excellent. Quality ingredients and thoughtful recipes, not just just trendy piles of miscellany. The service was simply the best I've had in my life. The atmosphere is unique. The prices reasonable for what they offer. I am adding this restaurant to our short list of places for out of town company or a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist placepgallup8Dined on 8/4/2014A restaurant with a welcome sign in 5 languages is not a place for a good meal; it's a place for bus tours. Had I been from another country, would have loved it. It is an interesting site with a tee pee in the courtyard and the look of an old fort. Cute a la Disney Land. Lovely terrace with a spectacular view, but the restaurant is anywhere USA. The food was extremely expensive. Our meat (buffalo ribs, filet and rib steak) was good. The side dishes were on par with a college cafeteria: gelatinous, not well seasoned and tepid. The service was "meh." If it is a treat for you to be in the West, then this is a good place to go. The best choice is a cocktail on the terrace. Buy dinner and you will spend a lot of money.Special Features:
- Excellent as AlwaysBethDined on 8/3/2014The Fort's a great place to go for a unique dining experience. From the old West atmosphere, to the unique menu items (our group tried buffalo and quail, and prickly pear margaritas), to the excellent service, the Fort's our go-to place for special occasions. We've been going there for years and the food and service are always excellent. It's a great place to take out of town visitors to give them a Western flavored experience. Huzzah!Special Features:
- Good, Unique FoodanniversaryDined on 8/3/2014The Fort provided excellent cuisine of a unique kind. The buffalo meat, for which they are noted, was cooked nicely, was very tender and tasty. The prices were high, but ours was a special occasion and worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kind.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2014The fort is a "must go" when entertaining out of town guests and showing off the real Colorado. A true treasure. Make sure your guests get to wear the buffalo and fur hats for pictures.Special Features:
- Dinning on a whimNOCOfoodieDined on 8/2/2014We made our reservation on Open Table about 45 minutes out. We arrived 10 minutes early and were seated promptly. The aisle between the tables to the back of the dining area were quite narrow and didn't allow much room for my mother-in-law to get by in her wheelchair. The other patrons were kind enough to scoot their chairs in or around to allow her to get by, but it was a bit of a bother and slightly embarrassing to have to ask folks if they wouldn't mind making way for the wheelchair. Our drink and appetizer orders were taken promptly and were delivered quickly. We had the buffalo tongue, which was quite tasty. Our food order was brought out quickly, and for the most part, everything was great. The servers were polite and prompt.Special Features:
- Our anniversary dinner1sttimeDined on 8/2/2014I have lived in Colorado all my life and this was our first time to The Fort. We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, so I wanted to go somewhere special. I have 2 complaints: I felt like it was too noisy, and the seats were awful!! No cushioned seats here (unless you have one of the bench booth seats. The food was excellent! Service was very good, as well.Special Features:
- Satisfy All of Your SensesJasheryDined on 8/1/2014Charming and Historic Site, Friendliest Staff ever encountered, Food Unique and Outrageously delicious, Timely Service, Great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKDeniseRDined on 8/1/2014I have been to The Fort before, this experience was disappointing! The waitress spoke very quietly, had a heavy accent. she was very difficult to hear and understand. I am on a special diet so I reviewed the menu online prior to making the reservation, however when we arrived, the restaurant menu did not match the online menu. It was very difficult to select an entree with the only fresh vegetable selection being corn on the cob. We felt rushed to order and eat, like they were just waiting to refill the table. Perhaps because we weren't spending enough, because we don't drink alcohol the order was not as large as perhaps the waitress would have preferred. I will have to think long and hard before going there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jeff Viscontiluv2eatbufDined on 7/31/2014Dinner was fabulous and Kevin was a gem. Very personable and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Expensive - but well worth it!ronnestiDined on 7/31/2014Can easily run $70 to $100 per diner - and should :-) Loved it. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and made great menu suggestions. The peanut butter/mango stuffed jalapenos are a must appetizer.Special Features:
- An excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014The food is expertly prepared and interesting. The staff is inviting and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Spectacular1happycoupleDined on 7/27/2014The experience is wonderful from start to finish. You are not rushed and the staff ensure you are happy from cocktails to dessert. The buffalo fillet mignon is so delicious, I got the market value portion (8 oz) and was plentiful. I tried the quail for the first time and the flavor was so good. (something I would of never ordered but tried) This is a spectacular place for a special occasion or a place to bring people from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday & Red Rocks ConcertBrunchDined on 7/27/2014Sure do wish The Fort had round tables for large groups. We had 10 & one can only converse with 2 people. Also, considering we had a concert to get to, I think the service could have been speedier. The food was great & had fun with the birthday "Ha Za"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.