The Capital Grille - Costa Mesa
3333 Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Costa Mesa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 7144321140x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chris Hutten
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Private dining event space can accommodate up to 60 guests.
A word from The Capital Grille - Costa Mesa
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you will experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their Achievement of Excellence Award. Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our team has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with - a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the South Coast Plaza.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
The Capital Grille - Costa Mesa - Best Restaurants in Costa Mesa ›
The Capital Grille - Costa Mesa reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (135)fit for foodies (97)notable wine list (91)romantic (88)great for lunch (77)good for groups (55)neighborhood gem (27)hot spot (19)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (6)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- amazing experience!!dadorkjoeyDined on 9/14/20141st time there had an amazing experience. Everyone was very welcoming all the staff. Food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Made reservations for a birthday dinner & our table was sprinkled w/confetti & a handwritten birthday card was there. We had the calamari appetizer (spicy but good) & wedge salad. For dinner we had the Kona crusted sirloin, Chilean sea bass & creamed spinach--all delicious! The Stoli Doli is great! And we loved the creme brûlée cheesecake. Service was friendly and attentive. We preferred our dining experience here over Mastros.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and eleganthappydinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014What a lovely evening. Capital Grille is one of my favorite spots. You sure know how to make martini, prepare steak, and deliver amazing food every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor value/mediocre foodDisappoinmentDined on 9/10/2014I had high hopes for the evening upon entering...dimly lit, well appointed, white tablecloths. Service was attentive...but then the food arrived. Almost $50 for a tiny little steak on a huge white plate with 2 spinach leaves. Seriously? My plate was King Salmon in citrus glaze: salmon not quite cooked enough, glaze was almost imperceptable, and sat on borderline raw, chopped green beans...with tips and strings still attached!!! Salads were fine, corkage was $25...won't be returning. Bill was $160 and we left hungry!
- Birthday for friendwineloverVIPDined on 9/8/2014Two of us went to lunch to celebrate my friend's birthday. The lobster salad and the steak salad were both fresh, delicious and very filling. The birthday dessert was a combination of berries, cheesecake and chocolate cake. The birthday card was a bonus, and so was everyone wishing my friend a happy birthday. Capital Grille is great for lunch or dinner! Will be back on Friday to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dining experienceluv2dineOCDined on 9/7/2014I have been to Capital Grille many times, mostly for business lunches, occasionally to meet up with friends for a late lunch. The experiences have always been pleasant. In my opinion, the food is up to par with other restaurants of this caliber and the ambiance is nice, but the service is always exceptional. I met with a girl friend for a very late lunch. Our waiter was really great, very polite and tentative, which made the dining experience even more enjoyable. My girl friend obviously was very impressed with the quality of food (we ordered the plates, which is just perfect for lunch) and service as well. Unfortunately I do not remember our waiter's name, he definitely did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualBigPapi2014Dined on 9/6/2014Capitol grill just never let's us down from family functions to work events held its always great. Staff and service were kind attentive and friendly. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in TownMac1VIPDined on 9/2/2014Excellent food, excellent ambiance, excellent service. What more is there to say? Oh, just one thing--try the excellent anchovy stuffed olive martinis. Delicious as is the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Celebration!EpicureanVIPDined on 8/31/2014Capital Grille truly did everything right to make our special occasion as memorable as possible. We were entertaining newlyweds, and we could not have chosen a nicer location to make their celebration more memorable. I am so thankful for this, truly!!! Will will certainly choose Capital Grille again for entertaining on special occasions. Just lovely! (And the lunch was fabulous, by the way--everything perfect!)Special Features:
- Food4YouDined on 8/30/2014Restaurant confirmed our reservations earlier in the day and our table was ready for us. The food was very good and the service was outstanding. This is an upscale restaurant and so were the prices. The wine list is extensive. We asked to split our entrees and the server made it happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinner30thanniversaryVIPDined on 8/28/2014We had dinner paired with The Generous Pour at an additional cost & well worth it. We started with calamari,sweet & spicy very good. A wedge salad; fresh & crisp lettuce,blue cheese & bacon & oh so good. We ordered rib eye special & it was seasoned beautifully and cooked to perfection. It was one of the best steaks I' ve ever had. Also had Wagyu filet. Fork tender and very very good. Michael was our wait person and was very attentive as were those assisting him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Fav Steakhouse in the AreawhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 8/27/2014The ambiance is classy, the service top-notch, and the steaks are prepared perfectly. We prefer the quality of beef here to most all other popular chains (Mastro's is also in this class). The lobster bisque has many huge chunks of lobster. The side options are the best on any steakhouse menu, especially love the mashed potatoes and fries are done RIGHT. The wine list has excellent options and is reasonably priced. Wine by the glass list is notable too. Ask to be seated with either Anne, Michael or Alan. The lunch menu here is excellent, steak salads that will please any lady OR GENTELMAN! Located at the prestigious South Coast Plaza Mall, offers free valet if you don't wish to self park. It has a classy bar area w/lots of tables.Special Features:
- Classy Upscale SteakhousewhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 8/25/2014This is one of our favorite steakhouses in SoCal. It is connected to the prestigious South Coast Plaza Mall. There is free valet parking as well as ample self-parking. The steakhouse ambiance is upscale, soft music. There is a beautiful bar area, including tables. This is fine dining with a top notch serving staff (ask to be seated in Michael or Anne's section). The wine list and wines by the glass are excellent and reasonably priced. The steaks are 5 star quality, much better than other familiar chain steakhouses. Chef prepares steaks perfectly to order. The menu has fantastic sides, also better than other steakhouses. Especially like the mashed potatoes! Fantastic place for a relaxing or business lunch. Seafood options as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistant Excellent Serviceg8foodDined on 8/24/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday here, and needed to attend a theatrical performance. Alan Lopez was our waiter who provided efficient service, with thoughtfulness in meeting our needs. Water glasses were always filled. As usual, our lobster salad, lobster roll, rib eye sandwiches, clam chowder were a foodies dream, appetizing to the eye and so flavorful. The complimentary birthday desserts were extraordinary. Thank you, Capital Grille, who consistently delivers first class service!Special Features:
- Fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Everything promptly arrived, food was of high quality, ambience was nice and not noisy at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeektiffcfengDined on 8/22/2014Unlike most restaurant week menus, the prix fixe menu offered here is definitely worth it with a great selection of appetizers, main course, and dessert. For the main course, I had the bone-in kona crusted sirloin cooked medium rare plus and it was tender, juicy, and flavorful. Strongly recommend!Special Features:
- Great foodLovetoeatDined on 8/22/2014The food was excellent but service wasn't great. It took a while before I had my water refilled. I had to ask for it after we received the check.Special Features:
- ClaSSICOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014DELICIOUS and the service was wonderful, my steak was also perfectly cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceLindaDined on 8/22/2014Outstanding service. Our server was so knowledgeable about every entrée and all of the wines. He went the extra mile. May be our best server of all time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very much enjoyed itbdahx3Dined on 8/22/2014I'm glad I finally got a chance to try Capital Grille since I've been wanting to for awhile now. I came for the last day of Costa Mesa Restaurant week this year, and it was better than expected! I was greeted very kindly when I arrived and seated even though I was late. The menu had very good choices and everything tasted fabulous. Also our server was very polite and kind answering any questions we had. I had a wonderful experience and will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- So-so service, decent foodPYanVIPDined on 8/22/2014I came here for the Costa Mesa restaurant week prix fixe menu, which I highly recommend because the quality of the food for what you pay is unbeatable. My only complaint was that service was pretty slow and not very notable for a restaurant of Capital Grille's caliber. Could be because we ordered off the restaurant week menu, but even so, service should be consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceJoeAndVerseDined on 8/22/2014Lunch is always great! Food is delicious, warm bread all the amenities. The service is the best and if you are lucky to have Janice as your waitress, you'll really enjoy your experience at the Capital Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014First time there & I'll be back - the food was GREATSpecial Features:
- Wonderful lunch!helplyddieDined on 8/21/2014This was a wonderful restaurant week lunch that 3 of my friends and I went to after a long week of classes. The service was impeccable and we felt cared for. For my friend's birthday, they brought us complimentary champagne, which was a great surprise. The food was delicious and the portions enough to make us all full at the end. Thank you for a great meal!Special Features:
- BirthdayEaterDined on 8/20/2014Great for special occasions! Steaks were outstanding, mashed potatoes were worth writing home about! We'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyableDininginOCDined on 8/19/2014The food was fantastic (filet mignon & aged sirloin), the service was impeccable and the ambiance quiet relaxing. Went with a small group (6) and we enjoyed our dinner and the Restaurant Week experience at this location. Definitely will return!Special Features:
- Fine Dining at its Finest2foodiesDined on 8/19/2014This is what fine dining was meant to be! We loved the food, the service, and that we could actually talk during dinner without shouting. The service was the best we've experienced in years! When we told our server that we were going to the Performing Arts Center and needed to be out by 7pm, she took that very seriously and saw to it that our meal was paced perfectly to get us on our way at exactly the time we had specified. The piece de resistance, however, was Tabitha's taking care of our "leftovers" (big portions) while we went to the play. When we returned for them, she was just leaving, but offered to go back and get them for us from the reception desk. The food is too good here to leave anything behind!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply WonderfulHappy1Dined on 8/18/2014We had a wonderful time and a delicious meal at The Capital Grille. Originally we were going because of Restaurant Week, but ended up ordering some of their regular deals on their lunch menu. My meal started with a cup of lobster bisque. It one of the best that I ever had. The seared scallops with sweet corn risotto were cooked to perfection. Service was impeccable. We thoroughly enjoyed it and are looking forward to coming here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatCooksniteoutDined on 8/17/2014This was our first experience at Capitol grille and it was a bit disappointing. Caesar salad was wilted, steaks came out on very hot plates but the steaks were Luke warm. My filet had no flavor. Mashed potatoes were not very warm. The server was attentive and because it was our anniversary, we were given a very nice sampling of all of their desserts. My martini was very good.Special Features:
- Service definitely can improveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014My experience: the medium-rare steak was medium or close to medium-well. The server, although talked politely, but his service definitely can be improved-- how's your feeling that the server change forks and plates right in front of your front body, change everyone's dinner ware just standing at one position next to you and weaving his hands within 12 inches in front of your face?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!luvbubblesDined on 8/17/2014Went for Costa Mesa Restaurant Week on Sunday for a late lunch, The restaurant was very busy. Our server Janice treated us like we were the only people in the restaurant, the rest of the staff was very attentive as well, especially Luis. Can't say enough about the service & the food. Added plus were the table side perfectly hand shaken martini's!!!Special Features:
- EllenDined on 8/17/2014Wow! The whole meal was absolutely the best!! Starting with the salad, the Dry Aged Sirloin w/chimichurri is to DIE for, & the creme brulee is my favorite now! The food and service was a 100/100!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!yummyDined on 8/17/2014The most tender sirloin I've ever had! Wonderful flavor!Special Features:
- Bad serviceAnnoyedDined on 8/16/2014Our server didn't seem engaged when he came to our table. He talked to us in a rude way, as if we he thought we never ate at a nice restaurant before or if he thought we were youngsters (which we are not) that didn't know what good service was. Didn't appreciate that and we barely saw him thru the night. He seemed annoyed as well. I would suggest someone supervise him bc I believe his table manners are rough. I think the bad service took away from the food. Food was good but couldn't enjoy it bc we were in disbelief about the behavior of our waiter. I'm hoping he just had a bad day.Special Features:
- front desk personnel impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The 'Asian' lady assigned for the table assignment ( works on the computer for table availability ) is a shame for the restaurant reputation- she is mean. , rude , irritated and has NO customer service skills . She is not a good representation in the front where people gets in and will have supposed to have a feeling of being welcomed .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalFoodieNomoDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful experience here when we came over for dinner during restaurant week. Everything was fantastic - food, service and ambience. The Kona-crusted dry aged Sirloin was just out of this world. Flavorful and very tender. And the Strawberries Capital for dessert was outstanding. Came here for a date and coming back again with some friends this week :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/14/2014Always have excellent service and friendly staff. Food is consistently well prepared. Appreciate the extra attention for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday GirlsBirthdayGirlDined on 8/13/2014Enjoyed a leisurely visit and birthday celebration with friends. We were able to talk and hear each other, great ambiance -- birthday sprinkles decorated the table as well as birthday cards from Capital Grille. We were never rushed, entrees were explained and the waiter took a memorable photo for the birthday people. All in all a great choice. Much better experience than below at Season's 52 which had been so crowded and busy that my last visit started out with great visiting and then by 12:30 we seemed to be shouting and straining to hear. Capital Grille was a lovely lunch venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmyKVIPDined on 8/13/2014There were four of us for lunch. We started with calamari. They were crispy & spicy. My grand daughter had clam chowder & said it was the best she's had! The chopped salad with shrimp was good but the best dish was the dry aged sirloin with chimichurri and fries. It came with a side dish for only $18! Our server was Mansoor & he was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT!JAD3Dined on 8/12/2014I took a group of clients to the Capital Grille for dinner. Jill Bodette provided exceptional service. We enjoyed a fine selection of wines, steaks cooked to perfection, and a great assortment of appetizers, salads, side dishes, and desserts. The ambience was just right to enjoy good conversation. This was an excellent dinner and entire evening.Special Features: