Shells and Sauce
2600 E. 12th Ave
Denver, CO 80206Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Shells and Sauce
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.italianrestaurantdenver.com/
- Phone: 3033772091
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marcus Jimenez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Shells and Sauce
Serving authentic Italian American food in the heart of Congress Park, Shells and Sauce brings Old Country taste to a cozy neighborhood restaurant. If you’re craving home-made lasagna, meat or fish, Shells and Sauce has a variety of savory appetizers and entrees to chose from. We also boast an extensive wine list to pair with anything you choose, and we offer delicious desserts to top off your evening. Whether you sit on our rooftop or in our main dining room to watch our open kitchen, Shells and Sauce is a great place to entertain friends or family in an inviting setting. Step into our kitchen and let us share our passion for food!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Shells and Sauce - Best Restaurants in Cherry Creek ›
Shells and Sauce reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (174)fit for foodies (78)great for outdoor dining (72)great for brunch (48)special occasion (45)romantic (37)good for groups (35)hot spot (29)kid-friendly (28)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (10)scenic view (3)Show More
- Delicious but very loudMikeyDined on 10/21/2014I've been to Shells and Sauce before and thought it was good but not great. This time I had the mussels for an appetizer and a shrimp dish special. They were both simply delicious. I found a new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible neighborhood restaurantDebbieDined on 10/19/2014What a GREAT FIND!!! This is one of the best kept secrets around. Loved the food and the atmosphere is lively, fun and friendly. I can't wait to get back here.Special Features:
- Nice SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/19/2014Very crowded (not a bad sign!), but claustrophobic to a degree. Could not find hostess at first, but were seated within minutes of our reservation. Food was delivered quickly, but appeared to have been in the window for awhile-the sauce had dried in spots. Server was attentive, though somewhat harried. Nonethesless, I love this restaurant and will retutn and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service with a reservationfoodiemonDined on 10/19/2014We had a reservation for 11AM and arrived on time but did not get seated until 11:30 - and while I had made the reservation with a patio seating request, that would have been a longer wait - with a reservation! Once we were seated, our orders were placed within 5 minutes but our food took over 30 minutes to arrive. There were no apologies. The food was good, and the prices reasonable which is why I had recommended it for our brunch spot. Had I known the service was going to be so poor I would have gone elsewhere. What is the point of a reservation if you're just going to wait like everyone else and starve in the meantime?
- Just too louddowntowndinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014The food and service were quite good, however the noise level was way too high.Special Features:
- Tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Have been here several times. The quality and selection of food do not disappoint. And the service is the best anywhere. We will always return.Special Features:
- Little Disappointed this TimeJennifetDined on 10/14/2014Rcvd a menu that showed a happy hour from 9pm until close. Was excited that we arrived there at this since it was just a few minutes to 9 and 1/2 price pizza and drink specials sounded like a great way to end the day. Now keep in mind this was not something read on the internet or any other form that may have had incorrect info but on the menu handed to me. When our waiter arrived I ordered a bottle wine that they no longer had and when we asked for a happy hour menu told they no longer do night happy hour. I somehow had a menu that was outdated and I should have never recvd. It was taken out of my hand and given a new menu. They used to have great customer service where they would have least done something for their mistake. No longer.Special Features:
- A neighborhood gem that draws manyNancyDined on 10/11/2014Always a treat to eat here. Great food, service and an energenic crowdSpecial Features:
- One of our favorites!deboVIPDined on 10/11/2014George and the crew do an excellent job. The menus creative and changes seasonally. Very friendly staff who acknowledges you upon return. Nice happy hour and decent wine list. Keep up the good work. One of the better chicken marsala's in town. The arriabata pasta is also spicy the flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014The food is basic comfort Italian with really large portions. I like the dollar salad you can add to the entree. The bread is a meal to itself.Special Features:
- Truly GreatDenverDined on 10/10/2014Always great service and excellent food. Would recommend to everyone.Special Features:
- Very nice neighborhood bistroLarrySDined on 10/9/2014I took my friend from out of town to a 7 PM reservation for two. The small restaurant was quite full of patrons and all seemed to be enjoying themselves, with the result that the noise level was quite robust, but in a happy vibrant way. My creamy salmon piccata was delicious as was my friend's eggplant Parmesan, and the barrata appetizer, which featured creamy buffalo mozzarella that was exceptional. Nice drinks and good service, I'll be back! Accommodated my powered wheelchair.Special Features:
- Loved it!BartmanDined on 10/7/2014The food and service at S & S is always top notch. Love the innovative creations on their special board!Special Features:
- Saturday DinnerMissouri67Dined on 10/4/2014Our reservation was for 7:30 with a request for upstairs seating. We arrived at 7:28 pm. No table had been set aside for us upstairs so we sat at the bar. After awhile it was apparent no table was going to finish any time soon so we opted to eat at the bar. The noise level downstairs is overwhelming when the room is full so we preferred to eat at the bar upstairs to sitting downstairs. On the bright side, the bartender was very friendly and attentive - he also made great drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014probably would not recommend this place for dinner. however, i know their brunch is great though. expect everything here to be slow. took forever to get my food. and thats w/ rsvp's. all the other times i been here for brunch, also took a long time.Special Features:
- Shells and SauceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I purchased a deal from Denver GetMyPERKS and went there this past weekend. Their happy hour is awesome, my neice and nephew both got spaghetti and meatball which was amazing. We order a ton of small plates and all were awesome. Very happy I purchased that offer and will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Always goodHowardDined on 10/3/2014We have visiting Shells and Sauce a number of times and always walk away pleased, full, and talking about how we loved the food. The mac and cheese appetizer is a regular choice for us, but we probably need to branch out on the next visit. My wife and I both had daily specials listed on the chalk board. Both were excellent.Special Features:
- Birthday, Great Food, Priceless!MeadDined on 10/2/2014Our waiter was perfect, the food was perfect it was a great evening! We will be back!Special Features:
- The B E S T!MarissaDined on 9/28/2014Best food, best service, best atmosphere and best server Therell!! Met my friend for brunch on Sunday 9/28 on the patio and everything was wonderful! I am a veteran to this restaurant but my friend enjoyed every bit of the experience and this will always be our favorite for brunch and dinner.Special Features:
- AMAZING FOOD!!JayEmDubDined on 9/27/2014We ordered the Caprese ravioli and had not had pasta that amazing since we'd been back from Rome. can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Unfortunate FailNotAFoodSnobDined on 9/26/2014We have eaten at this restaurant at least 2-3 times in the past and had a mediocre experience. We thought we would give it another chance, as our children had requested it for a celebration dinner. Aside from our delightful waitress, this experience was a flop for several reasons: *Overpriced wine, $10/glass for 4 oz *Tiniest Mussels ever seen! *Meatball arrived cold with cold sauce and terribly pink inside *Ordered the apple and brie salad….about 1/4 c of arugala on top of a brie and apple 5-6" Jenga tower…no thanks…should be on the appetizer list *Exchanged it for the chopped salad….could taste the bleach or cleaning product on the tomatoes!!! *$20 ravioli special had 2 raviolis!!!! Sorry Shells and Sauce….never ever again!!!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/24/2014One of our favorite go to restaurants. Rarely disappoints. Great staff.Special Features:
- Amazing NightMikeVIPDined on 9/24/2014Went to Shells and Sauce after walking through the Denver Botanical Garden featuring the Dale Chihuly exhibit (amazing) and so was the food this night at the restaurant. I had the Chicken special with mushrooms satchels (sp?) and it was amazing dinner. Can't wait to go back and see what new specials they have. But if none look too good, there regular menu has some great items on it like the Chipinno (yum).Special Features:
- great food - terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014the food was great - the service was incredibly slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placerudyDined on 9/23/2014Great neighborhood place. Patio right at street but nice. Across the street from Chinese restaurant so get fragrances from there while you are eating delicious Italian food. Server was very efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great pickVisitorDined on 9/21/2014Brunch today served excellent veggie omelette, French toast and breakfast tacos. However, food was lukewarm except that omelette was hot. Maybe they shouldn't have waited for eggs to be done because other orders waiting became cold. Toast burnt unfortunately and fruit overripe. Still would dine there again because other times there, the experience was great.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood placeLoraLeeDined on 9/20/2014Within walking distance of the Denver Botanic Gardens. The noise level is very high, it would have been better to sit outside. We were disappointed in one of the specials we ordered, our server and the board said it was 4 tiger prawns, but when the dish came, it was a handful of bagged shrimp. The chopped salad is always great, as were the crab cakes.Special Features:
- Saturday Evening FunSaturdayevefunDined on 9/20/2014I am always very pleased with everything with which I encounter at Shells and Sauce. The food is consistently good, but the service is a big reason why I continue to dine here. All of the wait staff does a great job, however Brady is superb, and he alone causes me to continue to love this restaurant. Great job to the management for hiring such excellent servers.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Great service. Perfect lighting. Amazing food. Positive vibe. Everyone had a great attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisysamthemamDined on 9/19/2014we went on a Friday night despite having reservation took a while to sit down and then the noise level was bad you had to scream at the people at your table. if we go back would go earlier on a week night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014We were a party of 4 - all having something different and everyone was very pleased with their food. Good service too. Our only negative comment is that the tables are placed way too close together. Even tho the food was excellent - I would think twice before returning just because of the constriction of being so very close to other patrons.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Their food never disappoints. Always excellent! Service is very good too.Special Features:
- AH-MAZ-INGOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/14/2014Every time I eat here it is better than the time before! The food is outstanding and the staff is always so great! I wish my dining experience at other restaraunts could be half as good as it is when I dine here!Special Features:
- ServerHaphapDined on 9/12/2014Our male server was fabulous! Funny, friendly, open and sarcastic in a most entertaining and heart warming way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shells and SauceJEdinersDined on 9/12/2014We thought the service was excellent, the food very good, the lower level was way too crowded and upstairs had a generic, disappointing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great BrunchCoDebDined on 9/7/2014Went with a couple of friends for brunch this weekend and the food was great as always. They have such an eclectic brunch menu and I love it. The place was really noisy. More so than usual but it still is a great place to go for weekend brunch.Special Features:
- Not As Good...GoodFoodFanVIPDined on 9/5/2014We had not been to Shells and Sauce for several months. Previously, the food was consistently good and the service attentive. This time, the service was again very good, but on this occasion, the food was no where near our previous visits. The restaurant's signature bread has changed - and not for the better. My cesear salad was simply romaine lettuce, no cheese, no croutons, just the lettuce. While my Cioppino was adequate, my wife's eggplant was not edible - the eggplant was overly deep fried with waaaaaay to much breading and the eggplant not cooked - really bad! After this experience, not sure we would go back.Special Features:
- Like this placedavydVIPDined on 8/30/2014Good east coast Italian at a reasonable price. Nice corner for outdoor dining with the right weather. Inside dining room could use some noise reduction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent service from Jake, decent food. Silly length requirementSpecial Features:
- Hum12VIPDined on 8/24/2014We ate here during Denver Restaurant Week based on the menu and the recommendation of a friend. The location was convenient to downtown. The food was wonderful with a large selection to choose from. The portion size was very good. Because of the restaurant week special price, the value was excellent with four courses and a glass of wine for $30. Shells and Sauce is a place we will recommend to friends and we will return to when we come back to Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.