Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKIKI, Oahu
2552 Kalakaua Ave
Honolulu, HI 96815-3662Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKIKI, Oahu
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dkrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (808) 931-6286
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm.
Late Night: Friday - Saturday: 10:00pm - 1:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian
- Executive Chef: JJ Reinhart
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off property caterings and private dinners from 20-200 covers. Plated or buffet style.
- Private Party Facilities: Intimate Private Dining Room that can accomodate up to 22 people. Set menus or ala carte from our menu.
- Private Party Contact: Ivy Nagayama 8089316286
- Entertainment: Free Karaoke on Friday Nights for 21+, 10pm-1am Open Mic Night on Saturday Nights for 21+, 10pm-1am 50% off Sushi & Appetizers & Drink Specials
A word from Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKIKI, Oahu
Sansei, meaning third generation, is a locally owned contemporary Japanese Restaurant offering new wave sushi. The force behind the food is Chef/Owner Dave "DK" Kodama. An Oahu native, he is fearless when it comes to flavors and one of the most adventurous chefs you will meet. At Sansei, he has combined his Japanese heritage with Hawai'i's incredible ethnic mix and the flavors he experienced in his travels to create a New Wave Sushi, Japanese-inspired Pacific Rim, Contemporary Japanese type of cuisine. Call it whatever you like. What you will taste are unique combinations of flavors and textures.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKIKI, Oahu reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)good for groups (33)special occasion (26)scenic view (20)great for outdoor dining (20)hot spot (17)notable wine list (14)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (12)romantic (12)neighborhood gem (10)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Inconsistant service by servers who didnt care about what they were serving. Hot entree served luke warm. Even the rim of the plate was cold like it was sitting for awhile. Dessert was dry. Sauces smudged and overfilling the plate making for some pretty unappetizing plates. Just real not up to par for the prices charged.
- Great Food at a Reasonable PriceSushiMeDined on 11/21/2014I thought the restaurant was great. It's on the main strip of Waikiki so it could have commanded a higher price, but it was fair and the food was excellent. Service was great too. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Wonderful food, excellent service. The view from the balcony seating overlooking Waikiki Beach is beautiful. From the seared scallops appetizer to the sashimi bowl to the Sansei Special Roll to the Opa over roasted garlic mashed potatoes and finally the Creme Brulee and Green Tea ice cream, everything was perfectly prepared and finely balanced in flavors. Service was attentive and helpful without being intrusive. Definitely a must for seafood lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, acceptable wait staff; Bad managementJWMGVIPDined on 11/12/2014This resturaunt is located w/in the Marriott Waikiki and I was a guest of the hotel when I chose to dine at Sansei Seafood with business colleagues & while the food was good, especially the crab ramen, the evening was negatively impacted by the attitude of the manager - it's a shame when folks in the hospitality business don't know how to be hospitable.
- Sansiegnts9rsDined on 11/8/2014We have always enjoyed a complete and wonderful dining experience at Sansei. The atmosphere is great, the service is excellent and friendly and the food is exceptional.Special Features:
- Fabulous sashimiMegjakesDined on 11/7/2014Some of the most tender fresh sashimi I've eaten. The sushi rolls were divine, and the ramen was on the top of my list of best things I've eaten! So good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi in WaikikiHoldingMenusDined on 11/5/2014I'd heard about Sansei while living here but had never gone so when we were staying in Waikiki we checked it out. It is a little pricey but the sushi rolls are really good, the quality of the fish is fantastic and the combination of flavors I found to be unique. If you can do the early bird special or wait until late night to have dinner the Happy Hour prices are fantastic!!Special Features:
- ScootCarterDined on 11/4/2014Go of for the food and stay for everything else. First, great sushi and seafood. Innovative and wonderful. Next, the staff is personable, smart and works their butts off! Atmosphere is active and social. And their prices, especially when you consider their awesome location on the Ocean at Waikiki, holy cow...you'll be shocked at how reasonable it is. Check this place out! It is excellent!Special Features:
- Sushi with a viewCoopDined on 11/2/2014We sat outside with a view of Waikiki beach. Friendly service. Fast. Prices are average for a place on "the strip". Marlin poke is crazy good. Sauce on the spider roll is delish. Only did sushi so can't comment on the rest of the menu but there are some interesting items. There are many great sushi places on the island but not with an elevated view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, service and Happy Hr!LilikoiDined on 10/26/2014We used to eat at Sansei regularly, before their move to Waikiki. Since then, we hadn't ventured down there. It's definitely worth the effort! The food is as amazing as we remember, and the service was outstanding. They make it easy with complimentary parking at the hotel and their Sunday Happy Hour is the best on the island: 50% off the menu! The kids were happy, too. We'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SushiSpringfieldDined on 10/20/2014Excellent sushi restaurant, creative and high quality Great views of Waikiki Beach highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great ServiceBGinPSDined on 10/10/2014We had been to the Sansei s on Maui. This was our first visit to the one in Honolulu. The special rolls are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Son TranBryantDined on 10/9/2014Yummy fresh food and excellent service. Definitely a local gem if you like sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi and moreHonolulufanDined on 9/28/2014The sushi is excellent but also had fantastic special ramen, miso butterfish, tempura asparagus and more. Wonderful meal. Food is prepared amazing fast. Service is good but our waitress was a little young and not much personality. You will not be disappointed
- Fabulous experienceMypedernDined on 9/24/2014Really enjoyed our experience the wait staff is knowledgable and can direct you through all aspects of the menu. Truly enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One at a time rolls.CanSanDined on 9/20/2014Overall very good food, atmosphere and service. The edamame beans were cold, which was different. We usually get them warm, which is preferred. We ordered those plus a delicious scallop appetizer and then 4 rolls. The first two rolls, which were specialty rolls, arrived individually and before the other two. Perhaps this was intentional, but I prefer to have them all at the table at once, so that I can mix them up as I eat them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Consistantly great food and service that never lets me down.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedFoodbabyDined on 9/12/2014We made our reservation using open table and got seated right away no waiting outside on the lanai. The ambiance was beautiful especially outside, it's right across from the beach! We could hear the live music from next door. However we ordered a calamari salad and it was basically fried with a super sweet dressing and garnished with wilted greens, not a salad at all. We told our server and she replied "yeah it is sweet and walked off" The dynamite shrimp was good but the south point poke was terrible! We sent it back and asked for our check! We love sushi and are seafood lovers in general and this was not a good representation. However if you're looking for a nice place to have drinks or happy hour then I guess this is the place for you!Special Features:
- definitely will come backnot1ofthosedinersDined on 9/8/2014I dined here with friends on a monday so thankfully it wasn't as busy. the hostess and I believe the manager were very accommodating to the fact that we kept increasing our party, originally from 12 to 17. we got sat maybe a few minutes after our reservation which wasn't a problem. we killed time at the bar on the DK steakhouse side. it was nice when we got sat because they gave us a private room. the server was very friendly and it appeared as though he was also training a server at the same time. although drinks took a little long to get to us, we were very patient knowing how large our party was. my friends kept moving throughout the night therefore we knew 1 check at the end was the easiest way to mitigate any confusion. we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BEST SUSHI IN HONOLULU,BillVIPDined on 9/4/2014BEST SUSHI IN TOWN TRY THE SPICY TUNA CRUNCH. OR THEIR AWARD WINNING MANGO CRAB ROLL IF CANNOT DECIDE ASK MANAGER TO RECOMMEND DR. YARBROUGH'S FAVORITESSpecial Features:
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014We were very excited to order sushi in Hawaii and had found this place online with good reviews. We told the server we were going to stick with Sushi rolls and when we received the food it was not all Sushi (even though it was on the Sushi page). It would have been nice if he had let us know. On top of that the food was very salty and the service was very slow. We did however enjoy the outdoor balacony overlooking the beach.Special Features:
- Really disapointedFlet50Dined on 8/10/2014We came back after 4 years and i have to admit that i was really disapointed. Food was only so so : nothing special. Service ok but once again nothing really nice. I won ´t come back.
- Good dinner in waikikiAndidavVIPDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed our dinner here. The wait staff was really helpful in suggesting dishes. The kitchen is uneven. What I mean is the people behind you can get served 90% of their order and you are still waiting for your sushi. I think other reviews have said the same, but it was very delicious. Just know that ahead of time.mSpecial Features:
- ExcellentcatalaDined on 7/31/2014Great food. Excellent japanese cuisine with a great local touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Food! Check Your RequestsJRinVADined on 7/28/2014We visited a few years back and were looking forward to a repeat visit. We were not disappointed by the food. It was the best seafood I've had in recent memory. Everything is very flavorful and the Opa (Wahoo) I had stands out as the best tasting fish I've ever had. Our server was delightful and attentive and improved the experience. I was disappointed with the hosting, however. We made our reservation at least a week in advance and requested a quiet table away from small children. I even offered to change my dining time to accommodate them. At the host desk, I pointed out a table at the front with 3 small infants and said, "that would not work," and they tried to seat us right next to it! Very poor. Otherwise it would've been 5 stars.Special Features:
- The following 86 reviews are from the Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKIKI, Oahu reviews archive.
- Hawaii traditionAraSDVIPDined on 7/26/2014I start every visit to Hawaii with dinner at Sansei, wherever there is a location. Funny how all my visits end up being great. Reliably good food never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great earlybird specialChristySVIPDined on 7/23/2014Yummy sushi and great earlybird special! Our waitress was wonderful and we had a great time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014All of the food is fantastic - truly some of the best in Honolulu. You can't go wrong eating here.Special Features:
- Great sushi and lively atmosphere!food4luvDined on 7/5/2014We were a little skeptical at first bringing our picky 4 yr old to dinner here but we were happy to find an array of dishes he enjoyed...especially sushi! Sansei never disappoints - love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedroroDined on 7/5/2014Most of the items from the online menu that we were looking forward to were not available any longer. We wouldn't have come to the restaurant had we known. Service slow and items came out in fits in spurts so meal time was awkward. We took turns watching each other eat.Special Features:
- Worst dining experience everOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Been to sensei in the past and had a great time. This year however was horrible. Sent my meal to another table which actually accepted food they did not order . My wife's meal was served quickly and then my son's meal about 15 min later, my meal never came. Server never acknowledged the error until about 40 min later. At which time I had no desire to eat. We went out for a family dinner, not to watch each other eat our meals separately. They were nice enough to comp the meal but the experience was not worth saving the money. Will not return again.
- ExcellentNALU725Dined on 7/4/2014Very good experience, we had our friend who was a birthday girl.. Our waiter hand them make a special dessert for her, no charge. Good Sushi.. Good timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!GregDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I celebrated our 28th anniversary. The food and service were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodbdubDined on 6/28/2014Always impressed with the large variety of high quality food served at reasonable prices. Thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sansei is awesome!BuffetDined on 6/25/2014This place never seizes to amaze me. The chefs and sushi chefs know what their doing! On Sunday and Mondays, they give Kamaainas a 30 minute window to eat everything for 50% off the regular menu. Take advantage of this! I like sitting at the sushi counter and watching the food be made.Special Features:
- mauigirlVIPDined on 6/25/2014Always a great experience! Staff is very attentive & accomodating. Service is fast and efficient. Food is FANTASTIC!! Extensive wine list and great prices at bar during Happy Hour. We always look forward to dining here and always look forward to coming back...Special Features:
- Decent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014Take advantage of the specials, service was outstanding and the food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014Delicious food, beautiful view, and very helpful service. We happened to look at wine list online snd were very excited to see some of the wines they had. Unfortunately, their online wine list was outdated. Still had good wines, but not what we expected. The only other downside was listening to the loud music from the restaurant across the street. Otherwise, this experience was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceJgehDined on 6/8/2014Good Sushi and other specialties. Lobster and crab Ravioli are definitely recommendable...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi in WaikikiluvcfoodDined on 6/6/2014Great little seafood restaurant overlooking beach with nice outside balcony dining. Wonderful special sushi creations with unique flavors.Special Features: