Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill
250 Waikoloa Beach Drive E-1
Waikoloa, HI 96738Neighborhood:
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://roysrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (808) 886-4321
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Louis Mellaci
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill
Roy's Waikoloa is an upbeat resort casual restaurant featuring Hawaii inspired Euro-Asian cuisine. European cooking techniques with an emphasis on local ingredients and bold flavors. An extensive "food friendly" wine list is also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill - Best Restaurants in Waikoloa ›
Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (78)good for groups (48)scenic view (44)romantic (39)notable wine list (34)kid-friendly (29)hot spot (28)neighborhood gem (28)vibrant bar scene (15)great for lunch (7)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Food is superb. Service excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/23/2014We love Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill. The food is delicious. The appetizers, the main dishes and the deserts are very tasty. The seasonings and sauces are perfect. We had a wonderful experience. The service was excellent every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerFoodMonsterDined on 11/23/2014Food was excellent, as It normally is. Service was good, but a bit below par compared to our previous visits. Ambiance was good, except that table next to us was rather loud. After they left, things were much more quiet. The menu has an excellent range of choices. Desserts are also excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobijVIPDined on 11/21/2014Everything was outstanding. Food, Service, & Ambiance. Roy has it down pat. Best meal we had on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant supply quality goodnessRayrayVIPDined on 11/19/2014It appears that in a cost saving measure to maximize profits, the food quality has gone downhill with cheap ingredients and incompetent cooks and waitstaff. This food was overpriced and not good at any price. The service was sub par too, this is not fine dining.
- Dining in the Waikoloa AreaCL001HIDined on 11/15/2014Had an excellent dining experience at Roy's Bar and Grill at the King's Shops in the Waikoloa resort area. We had gone for an early dinner and found the staff very pleasant and professional. We were seated promptly and the staff was attentive without "hovering" over us. The food was top notch (the butterfish was fresh and seasoned to perfection and the shortribs are highly recommended) and the views were wonderful. The prices were in line with the fine dining venues in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service is consistently excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014Great food and service as always. I had the short ribs and my friend had the butterfish. Both were very good. Although we ate at a table this time and our server Courtney was the best! She was very good about making recommendations and provided very attentive service. We normally love to sit at the bar to dine on casual nights. The bartenders are always engaging and pour a very good drink. We will be back soon. Thanks...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foood, Great Service808SurfDined on 11/14/2014Roy's is a great place for all types of occasions. We ordered different appetizers to get a variety of foods. All of the items was great. The chocolate soufflé was the best!!! The service was excellent!!! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what was expected, by a long shot.NotRomanticDined on 11/11/2014Food was mediocre at best. Went to celebrate my wife's birthday during a family vacation on the Big Island, atmosphere was too loud for a romantic celebration. We ordered almost everything on the menu to give the place a chance. However as stated it was mediocre. We ordered five of their deserts to include a soufflé, which to them is a chocolate lava cake. We are from Oahu and visit many restaurants there. I would say this specific Roy's compairs to an Applebee's or Chilli's. Unfortunately, this location was not a fine dinning experience at all. We may try a different Roy's in the future, but never again the one in Waikoloa.
- Great evening at Roy'sLisastDined on 11/11/2014Roys never disappoints and whenever we are in Hawaii we have dinner at least once. This time was no exception. The food (the short ribs are to die for) is always good, comes out hot, and the chocolate molten cake with ice cream fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTNoni96743Dined on 11/10/2014The staff is above and beyond. We arrived 1/2 early and they were able to seat us. Beautiful view of a little lake. Food was excellent to. The steaks are much better than Ruth Chris. I've never had a bad meal here. The Chocolate Soufflé is the best thing I've ever eaten. Absolute must have. I highly recommend Roy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weekenddinerVIPDined on 11/4/2014Disappointing, and not up to past visits to other Roy's. "Signature" mahi mahi looked and tasted mass produced. Restaurant was extremely busy, and the kitchen allowed that to show.
- Food and service was awesome!LuvwineDined on 11/4/2014Neither of us really love Asian fusion seafood but both of our seafood dishes we're delicous and unique. The chocolate molten soufflé was over the moon together with a great wine!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's RocksOuiniVIPDined on 11/3/2014Roy's food both in range of dishes and execution is the best on the Big Island after more than 15 annual trips with family members from kids to "veteran" parents. Service is attentive , friendly, and informative without pretension or condicension. Best Mai Tai ( a very good drink if properly proportioned). The "busy" nature of the room fades as the meal is presented and enjoyed by allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frecklesDined on 11/2/2014I have been to Roy's often, however disappointed the last time. I am a very light eater and unfortunately had to walk away hungry, the portions were extremely small and the service was only fair this time. The noise level overwhelming!Special Features:
- GraybeardGraybeardDined on 10/31/2014We have been to Roy's may times over the years and it is consistently good. Service was efficient and attentive. Plan to return for a second time this trip.
- Always the bestDiverdownDined on 10/31/2014Sometimes you just know it's going to be good. At Roy's good isn't just good, it's great! The menu is always changing yet always familiar. Staff are the finest you will find in the business. Perfect table service and exquisite presentations make for memorable dining experiences. If you haven't been to Roy's, or even if it has been a while, treat yourself to the BEST! You deserve it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's Never Dissapoint's!KonaDined on 10/31/2014This was not my first time at a Roy's. I have eaten at Roy's in Maui, Pebble Beach CA. It was a special occasion, our 45th anniversary. From the moment we entered till the time we left, we were treated as if we were special. The food was excellent as was the service. Highly recommended for that special occasion.Special Features:
- Excessive noise ruins the diningKonabobVIPDined on 10/30/2014The food is very expensive, but tasty. However the noise is so obscenely loud and excessive it ruins the meal. Literally could not hear my wife and daughter even if they shouted. Many large convention groups go here- get drink and loud, and even throw out f--- bombs- the staff/management does nothing to stop them- when we told the manager of the noise, all she would say is I'm sorry. Even 6 year olds behave better than the obnoxious groups they let go wild. STAY AWAY.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/30/2014The food was good but the ambience was terrible. Way too noisy. Rather than a relaxing dinner it has become a place of nosiy families. Not someplace I would pick for adults wantng to enjoy a relaxing dinner.Special Features:
- 3rd time in 10 daysMfigDined on 10/30/2014We have really enjoyed our meals at Roy's, as we always do. The food was the best we have had on the island! The service was outstanding! Ask for Ashly. Best value for your dollar (for this area).Special Features:
- A birthday to remember.Ask4DavidDined on 10/29/2014I went to Roy's for my birthday. It was my first time in hawai'i, and at this point I had been disappointed in my search for the perfect piece of blackened ahi. I wanted something better that what I could find landlocked in the middle of Canada. I was unable the do this, until I went to Roy's. Not only was it the best piece of blackened ahi I had ever had, it was one of the best meals. In addition to the fish, the meal was topped off by the absolutely superb and friendly service of our server, David. He knew the menu inside and out, was extremely friendly, and truly added to our dining experience. Without him, it wouldn't have been the same. Thank you David, this was my greatest birthday ever, capped with the finest meal I can remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible on all levelsManhattanVIPDined on 10/29/2014We are NYC foodies and enjoyed dinner at Roy's in Baltimore in the past, so when we visited Hawaii, we thought that dinner at one of Roy Yamaguchi's Hawaii restaurants would probably be a good idea. WRONG! The positive first: the tomatoes and cucumbers on the salad were delicious and our bus boy was great. Everything else, and I mean, EVERYTHING else was shockingly terrible. The décor looked old and cheap. The bar was packed with loud, beer drinking regulars. Our waiter / service was terrible. But worst of all was the inedible food (aside from the cucumbers and tomatoes), such as the fish, which looked and tasted like it had previously been frozen, the meatloaf which was hard like a rock... in short: would never return to this restaurant.
- Roy's doesn't disappoint!BobbyDined on 10/27/2014Another memorable dining experience at Roy's. The food quality was outstanding, well prepared and served efficiently. We always look forward to our Roy's night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time But Not the LastPassportDined on 10/26/2014Good menu and great food. Service was wonderful, attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- UnacceptableseethedolphinsVIPDined on 10/26/2014Perhaps the worse dining experience ever. Began with being seated at a very poorly placed and obviously added-for-capacity table crammed between a large group table and a staircase. The two of us felt like prisoners...until the baby two feet from my left ear began to scream. Then we were hostages. The server agreed to reseat us. Next to the kitchen! But, we were hungry and made the mistake of staying. We like to sample several appetizers. The ahi and pot stickers were ok, though no one there knew, as no one ever asked us. Then came the ribs. Way too salty...an accident in the kitchen? After that we had to leave. Our waiter never inquired about our meal, our experience or etc. The manager's solution? Come back for more!
- overpriced, low qualityLorenzoDined on 10/24/2014I would suggest venturing off the resort complex to experience real flavors. Better prices too.
- EddieDined on 10/22/2014We had a great meal and time with Courtney. Excellent service! Our wait time was longer than expected but the bartender was nice and we really enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- Overpriced and uninspiredDK2003Dined on 10/19/2014Food was ok, atmosphere was not. Plus it was incredibly loud.
- Typical Roy's - great.LuvgoodfoodDined on 10/18/2014Let me start by saying we are fans of Roy's. This particular one didn't disappoint. The food was very good. As far as ambiance, it was ok and felt like a popular, local eatery - busy and loud. I would have liked a more laid back romantic setting with tablecloths, etc but this was not it. It felt like a typical shopping centre restaurant that you would go to for a quick meal. Nevertheless, the food was good and I would return again if given the opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night outVacation10Dined on 10/16/2014We were quickly seated although we were about 20 minutes early for our reservation, the noise level was high, hard to talk with dinner companions. Food was good, fresh, quick service.Special Features:
- Overpriced over complicated foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014I felt like this restaurant was trying to be fancier than it needed to be. I don't mind paying top dollar for top food, but they didn't make the cut at all. My husbands Ahi had a side of grits... Really? And my butterfish was good but too much sauce and odd uncooked noodles... Odd combinations of flavours and textures all over the place.
- Another great dinner at Roy'sMariaBDined on 10/15/2014We had our 20th anniversary dinner here last week and the service was great. The poke appetizer was very good and although I enjoyed the braised shortrib entrée I ordered, my husband's butterfish was the best of all (smooth, with a great taste). We had a nice table with a lakeview and they sat us on time. The orange/vanilla crème brulee that evening was fantastic, as was the pineapple upside-down cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/15/2014We were visiting the Big Island, and Roy's was recommended to us. It was a plus that we were staying nearby, and able to walk over. Shops nearby were open late, so you can also shop before or after. We were greet and seated pretty quickly. We split a salad, very good, and both ordered a specialty butterfish...yum. It was amazing and recommended. There was a souffle dessert, which was wonderful, as well. We were not rushed, able to enjoy our meals, talk, and just have a great time. We'd go back, when in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerJjcgDined on 10/13/2014Excellent food, great service and stupendous desserts. Very much enjoyed the evening celebrating a family birthday! Wonderful thank u!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, but noisyCharlaDined on 10/11/2014My husband suggested having dinner while we were on the Big Island. He had been at Roy's other locations but this was my first time. I was expecting a quiet, dimly lit dining experience, however this restaurant is unfortunately very bright and loud. The food was amazing though. The calamari appetizer was cooked perfectly and was delicious. I had the kobocha soup and the farmer's salad - both were amazing! I don't think I've ever had a fresher salad, other than the ones I've made from my own garden.Special Features:
- A second visitBill31539Dined on 10/10/2014This was our second visit in a week and it was as great as a first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014restaurant was very noisy, the food was very good and the service excellent. Fixe prix menu was a good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MferVIPDined on 10/7/2014Canoe for two is a must. The butterfish to die for and truly the most modern and delicious pineapple upside down cake ever. Can't wait to go to a Roy's on the mainlandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome service and prixe fixelizzoDined on 10/3/2014Our server James was most excellent as well as rest of the wait staff! Prixe fixe meals were varied and delicious and at an amazing price. chocolate souffle was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ellfDined on 10/2/2014Food was very good. We enjoyed the mahi mahi and the butterfish. However, despite our previous reservation request they gave us a table not in a desirable location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.