115 E Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rlrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3124751100
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am-5:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am-5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Pitts
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: RL Restaurant accepts reservations for parties up to 20 guests. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Reservationist 3124751100
A word from RL Restaurant
A warm, rich interior featuring Mahogany paneling & Persian rugs, RL Restaurant houses an art collection that reflects & represents a lifestyle vision of quality, integrity & timelessness - the design & cultural aesthetic of Polo Ralph Lauren. The menu is written daily with core items, some prepared tableside, which reflect the Ralph Lauren "aspirational lifestyle." The food is not based on how exotic the chef can appear with his creativity, but on how finely tuned & balanced are his compositions -- renditions of ideas that have a history on the American Table. ****Please note that reservations are for dining room only. Bar and Patio are first come first serve.******Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
RL Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
RL Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
335 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (158)special occasion (151)fit for foodies (126)neighborhood gem (105)hot spot (102)romantic (98)great for outdoor dining (95)great for brunch (83)notable wine list (55)vibrant bar scene (38)good for groups (36)scenic view (14)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (12)Show More
- Decor sound disconnectHHHMDDined on 10/21/2014Spectacular food, service, and ambiance. The only slight surprise: the decor and style are muted (dark wood and brass), the sort that impies a hushed atmosphere -- but the sound level was a lot higher than expected. Not a bid deal, but maybe something to be aware of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and experience.HappyFaceDined on 10/20/2014The food and service were superb. Our server recommended the Lake Superior perch. The portion was huge, but delicious. Fried olives appetizer were a first and delicious. We would definitely return when in Chicago again.Special Features:
- RL RestaurantKCvisitorDined on 10/20/2014We had an Angus burger and a Cobb Salad. Both were delightful. Reservations are best, but bar seating is open, and was available when we had an 11:30 lunch reservation. Our servers in the bar were attentive and helpful, plus decor and the view are charming. The dining room is gorgeous, but the club atmosphere of the bar wins out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014The ambiance and service were good, however the seating was very crowded and made for an uncomfortable experience.Special Features:
- RLsuburbandiner1Dined on 10/19/2014Staff was courteous and eager to greet and assist my group of 9. Wonderful brunch experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnsatisfiedKeishaDined on 10/18/2014I wasn't pleased with my experience at the RL restaurant. We sat in the lounge area because we arrived early bit earlier than the reserved time. It was very crowded and extremely loud. The seating arrangement was very uncomfortable. After sitting (and being bumped by random people) for about ten minutes without any service from the waiter, we decided to dine in another location. With the prices of the food at this resturant, there is no reason to be uncomfortable and annoyed.Special Features:
- FavoriteKatesDined on 10/18/2014RL is my favorite lunch/brunch restaurant in Chicago. Never have had opportunity for dinner there. Beautiful atmosphere - wonderful wait staff. RLSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/17/2014Love this restaurant when we are in Chicago! The ambience is true Ralph Lauren and so warm and homey! Everything about it is great!Special Features:
- mollyDined on 10/16/2014Always an interesting menu. I come here every time I'm in Chicago. Great for people watching. The staff never rushes you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kathleenDined on 10/15/2014always enjoy the decor and location but the food was good not great and it is noisySpecial Features:
- Excellent business dinnerQFanVIPDined on 10/15/2014RL is a formal dining space with professional wait staff, but with a relaxed, vibrant atmosphere. Tables are packed together and the volume can get very loud, but the food quality and service are outstanding and it is not so loud that dining companions cannot converse with each other without yelling too loudly. My business dinner companion (from London) loved the feel of the restaurant and greatly enjoyed his foie gras appetizer and scallops dinner. My shrimp/calamari appetizer was good, and the veal chop was excellent. I often bring associates to RL for business lunches and dinners, and have never been disappointed with the quality of the food, the service, or the appropriateness of the venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceJPMBDined on 10/13/2014One of the greatest decorated places I've seen. Food was ok I had the baked cheese which was very good and then the polo burger, it was average. We had some cookies for desert, they were ok, nothing more. I would recommend it more for its ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bumps in the NightFoodtimeVIPDined on 10/12/2014Well below my expectations. Restaurant is small and tables are packed in. I was sitting on the aisle and bumped into repeatedly by waitstaff and busboys throughout the evening. Certainly not a high class experience. Hostess suggested we sit in the bar while we waited for our reserved table and pointed to a tiny bar that obviously had no seats available. When we were seated, we were given menus but no wine list. Server came up and asked if we would like drinks, offered to get us a wine list and went off to get one and did not return for quite some time. She was apologetic, at least. After that, service was okay. Food was good, competent but nothing was remarkable. No one in our party of 4 felt they would wish to return.
- Food did not deliverLoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 10/11/2014I have been to RL on several occasions and the food/service is always great. For this trip, I took my dad who was visiting from Virginia. We had escargot, lobster bisque, filet , potatoes and asparagus. We finished with the ganache chocolate cake, which was delicious! The escargot and soup were delivered within 1 minute of each other so we sent the escargot back since we wanted to enjoy our courses. Both were just OK. The filet was terrific but there was so much sauce on it, it did not go well with either potato or asparagus side. We finished with the chocolate cake and my dad ordered a cup of coffee which was served cold. Cold coffee did not make sense for a Saturday night during prime-time service hours... Our experience was just OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectLettuceFanVIPDined on 10/11/2014Anyone who doesn't adore this place is crazy. Yes, it's not cheap. But it's worth treating yourself if you can. The food is perfect, service flawless but friendly and the restaurant itself is a lovely place to find yourself in. The Lobster Club, Short Ribs, and Lobster Bisque are standouts.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RL is always a go to staplelakeviewguy2VIPDined on 10/7/2014Had an amazing dinner & experience with friends. Even after 30 minutes of waiting on our reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2014Interior is starting to feel a bit dated and needs a bit of refreshingSpecial Features:
- Classy PlaceWinedudeVIPDined on 10/6/2014Have been here several times. This is a very popular, busy spot. Sometime, even with a reservation, you can wait up to a half hour to be seated. We went on a Monday and had a very nice experience. The food is very good and the dining room service is friendly and efficient. We like the seafood choices, including the lobster bisque, scallops, perch, and halibut. Nice desserts and a decent wine list make this a great spot for an enjoyable dinner in a classy setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- djdnDined on 10/4/2014second time at RL and it did not disappoint. Great food and great service. When in Chicago i highly recommend this place. Convenient to all the shopping with a 5 star atmosphere. We will be back again.Special Features:
- AverageBaronDined on 10/4/2014I was actually disappointed with this restaurant. With so many outstanding restaurants in Chicago I would never reccomend this one to anyone. The menu was not very interesting and the food was just okay. The exception would be the Dover Sole which two people in my party ordered and rated it as wonderful. The tables were so crowded together that you could hardly walk between them. There were packed in an area in the front of the restaurant in an area that appeared to probably be a vestibule or waiting area. RL definitely not up to par with top Chicago restaurants!
- RL Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/4/2014My absolute favorite eating spot in the city! Great food, service and fabulous dining room energy!Special Features:
- Away from the CityDrCansecoDined on 10/1/2014As soon as you enter you feel away from the city, almost as if you were traveling on a cruise, the room is cousy with great service from the people. The way the room is furnished makes you feel as if you were surrounded just by family and friends. Pleasant stay. The food is great and every bite awakens a sense of grandeur and perfection without falling into exaggerationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncomfortable DiningTOMPETEMDDined on 9/30/2014The restaurant has very good food but the seating is very crowded and the tables themselves are VERY uncomfortable. The tables have a very poor design in that the top sits on a very wide pedistal base. Thus there is very little leg room which makes dining an unpleasant event. One can see the table design flaw in that the chairs sit far out from the table. If you are tall, this is not the restaurant to visit.
- Don't rush usBostonDined on 9/29/2014The restaraunt was beautiful with lovely art work everywhere and comfortable seating. There were two larger groups seated also and each had an overly served guest. They were loud and abnoxiuos and management did nothing to address it. That ruined our conversation and experience. Also if you are going to allow guests to make an 8:30 dinner reservation on a Monday evening don't be pulling our plates off the table when we are not finished eating our meals !!! The food was delicious and unique and it's unfortunate we felt rushed for the amount of money we spent. I would go again , but would not allow the same experience to happen again to us without comment to the management.Special Features:
- RL - Always a Great Choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014This restaurant never fails - we love it here! The food, service and ambiance are great and people watching is also a plus!Special Features:
- JennDined on 9/28/2014The food was very very good. Service was great and speedy. But the seating is very close. The place is kind of small.Special Features:
- FabulousBrunchloverVIPDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant was superb. Food was very good and service beyond expectations! A very special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good went back next nighRLfanDined on 9/26/2014My daughter-in-law recommended RL so I made a reservation. Our table was ready, service was great and food wonderful. We enjoyed it so much we went back the next night and was able o get a patio table. I cant wait for them to open in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayJannieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Always good for special occasions..service was not up to snuff...had to spend a little more time finding our waiters than usual..Special Features:
- Great RestaurantDCnDCVIPDined on 9/26/2014RL's is always on our list when we visit Chicago. Normally we go for dinner but this visit was for lunch. Foodwise, you really can't go wrong with just about anything. It is all very good and the presentation is beautiful. Service is impeccable; they know how treat their customers. The restaurant style and decor is classic Ralph Lauren; deep rich woods, brass, dark velvet wall paper in Ralph Lauren blue. If you're a fan of Ralph Lauren and have been to any of the larger stores, you'll appreciate the decor immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!ChicagoKimDined on 9/25/2014We live in the area and continue to enjoy this place! Fantastic service....great food....fun scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodGood1VIPDined on 9/22/2014I have been to RL for 'ladies' lunch many times and it is always very crowded and the food is good. My husband and I were in the neighborhood for a show at the Museum of Contemporary Art and went to RL for dinner as it is in walking distance. The service was great, the food delicious. We expected the high dinner prices due to the name and the location so we were not surprised, or bothered by it. The food was very good ... and the 'David Bowie Is' exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, Decent servicenicknameDined on 9/21/2014Lunch dining: Great food, halibut dish was delicious. Service was odd, several waiters attended our table without much coordination between them - one example, orders were taken by multiple waiters; another example, we were told they were out of a dish I wanted, then told they did have it, then finally told they were out of it. Overall, enjoyed the food, and servers were very attentive and kind, but slightly off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimePickyone8Dined on 9/20/2014Went to the restaurant to celebrate the upcoming wedding of my best friend and his partner, they chose the restaurant and I must say it was an excellent choice ! Everything was excellent!!Special Features:
- RL Regulars; disappointed this timeNeighborVIPDined on 9/19/2014We are RL regulars and will likely continue to be. That said, our food on Friday night was simply not up to the usual RL standard..
- Awesome experienceSuzbDined on 9/19/2014Excellent service. Our server, christy, was knowledgeable, engaging, and just attentive enough. The atmosphere was understated elegance. The food was beautifully presented and was fabulous. Great evening. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SueSydneyDined on 9/16/2014Just as I expected, anything Ralph Lauren is exceptional! Extremely knowledgable staff with service to match. Atmosphere was great as Restaurant was full and the food was superb. Would highly recommend the Restaurant as a must when in Chicargo and will definitely be back to Chicargo only to eat at the Ralph Lauren Restaurant again. Love everything he does and the Restaurant is no exception!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoped for more....Iowa2Dined on 9/14/2014The first impression of RL is a very good one, presenting a clublike feeling. We were initially seated near the rear next to the kitchen door. The cooking odors were overwhelming so we asked to be moved. Our female waiter seemed tired and bored. The drinks were fine, but the food was uneven: my lump carb cakes were ordinary, while my friend's braised short ribs were fantastic. Dessert was a disappointment. The menu stated that the Bananas Foster was prepared table-side: not true. They were served already cooked. Why didn't we learn this when we ordered? The bananas were very over-cooked and mushy, the sauce was thick and almost cool. With the wonderful dining choices in downtown Chicago, I would probably not dine here again.Special Features:
- Very goodPatmacDined on 9/14/2014Service was excellent. Food very good with a nice atmosphere. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fancy place and great foodMfduttoDined on 9/11/2014I went with a friend and we order the fried olives and the tomato and mozzarella tarta as apetizers. Those options were amazing. Then since we saw that the entrees had a considerable size, we decided to shar a salad and the RL burger. Both plates were spectacular as well. The only critic I would do is that the place is a little bit noicy and dark. But overall it was fantastic.Special Features: