Red O- Los Angeles
8155 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90046Neighborhood:
Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St.
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Red O- Los Angeles
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (323) 655-5009
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm to 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Happy Hour: Sunday-Friday 5:00pm to 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Efren Cardenas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On & Off site catering, reception style, seated dinner, tasting menus, etc. Sit back relax & lets us bring the creations of Top Chef Masters & James Beard Award Winning Celebrity Chef Rick Bayless into your home or office.
- Special Events: Please contact our Events Coordinator Ryan Fields at email@example.com. Weddings, Corporate Functions, Birthdays, Launch Parties, Red Carpet Events & more! . We look forward to hearing from you!
A word from Red O- Los Angeles
RED O features modern Mexican fare from award-winning Chef-Restaurateur Rick Bayless, the chef responsible for changing the image of Mexican food in America. The menu offers both authentic Mexican and lighter “California-style” dishes, signature items such as the infamous Pollo en Mole Poblano & Mexican Raw Bar & Ceviches. Whether it’s for a formal sit-down dinner with a large group or catching up with friends over a few small bites and cocktails, every guest will find a cozy area to suit the occasion. The bold, cutting-edge space designed by Dodd Mitchell and G+ Gulla Jonsdottir Design features an Atrium with a retractable roof and glass garage doors that open to Melrose Avenue with a 14-foot communal table. A stunning Tequila Tunnel showcasing our one of a kind premium tequila collection leading in to the famed Tequila Lounge & private Garden dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red O- Los Angeles reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)special occasion (87)good for groups (74)hot spot (73)romantic (67)great for outdoor dining (61)vibrant bar scene (53)neighborhood gem (49)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (19)late-night find (17)great for lunch (10)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- All around great restaurant!ZsDad44Dined on 11/22/2014Went to Red O with out of town friends on Sat night before going to a show at The Improv. Everything about the experience was fantastic! Great staff, beautiful decor, delicious food - it's one of my favorite restaurants in all of LA! Friends were super impressed, and the patio dining is great on a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They changed their menu, not great.InthebusinessDined on 11/22/2014My friends and I liked the food and drinks so much on our previous visits. We were a little disappointed with your new menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale mexican restaurantMARINEVIPDined on 11/21/2014I WAS AMAZINGLY SURPRISED. IT IS A NICE RESTAURANT WITH INDOOR AND OUTDOOR SITTING. LIVE MUSIC IS BEAUTIFUL WHILE YOU ARE DINING, AND THE SERVICE IS OUTSTANDING. I WOULD DEFINITELY GO BACK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fine-dining Mexican food I've ever had.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014Superb quality from start to finish, and the best mole imaginable. Ceviches and cocktails were outstanding, too. Overall, a superlative dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, embarrassingly bad serviceKkladyVIPDined on 11/15/2014They were 40 minutes behind on our reservation and didn't ever address what was going on. Server was inexperienced and inattentive. Luckily the food was outstanding as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O is for ordinarydinerVIPDined on 11/15/2014After four years a restaurant's character is established. And what Red-O has become is not worth a return visit The room was noisy and the service made me feel that i was intruding into the wait-staffs more important duties. But most disappointing of all was the food; barely up to the level---dare I say "standard"---- of my local Mexican fast food place. What are they thinking about in that kitchen? All of this and it's not cheap. Wouldn't go back as someones guest. Unfortunate after several good meals in Bayless's flagship Chicago restaurant Topolobampo I am now reluctant to try that place again. Thankfully, there is still RiveraSpecial Features:
- GREAT SERVICESCOTCHDined on 11/8/2014I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THE KINDNESS OF THE STAFF ESPECIALLY OUR SERVER MARY-KATE. NOT PRETENTIOUS AT ALL. :)Special Features:
- An unexpected gem!PmcleansVIPDined on 11/8/2014We came upon Red O not quite realizing what we were to experience, but found it to be positive all round, from food, to service to the music being played in the bar area. All good, no bad!Special Features:
- Excellent!xmarksthaspotDined on 11/5/2014This was the second time I have eaten a fabulous meal at Red O. I highly recommend it. From the architectural design, to great drinks and service, and of course the excellent food. I think and I have eaten and traveled quite extensively that this might rank as one of the top Mole' I have ever had. Was perfect. Wish I would have come in sooner.Special Features:
- food and barOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014The food is very good and reasonably priced. The margaritas are extremely overpriced compared the portion sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well done as usualDansDined on 10/30/2014Fantastic high end Tequila menu, waiters who know there stuff, food prepared correct and an ambience that's still cool without any attitude. Worth the few extra bucks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...odd seatingSallybjoDined on 10/28/2014Red O did not disappoint. Food was fresh and interesting, atmosphere was elegant, decor was modern and airy, and service was attentive. The only false note was the fact that in a space only barely occupied.....at 6:15 pm...we were given a very small table in the bar area. We did not realize that once food was served, with numerous side dishes, there would not be enough space to be able to move dishes on the table without tipping them over. Maybe there should be a sign indicating that women over fif tty will be seated only in dark corners?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B-Day DinnerjuiceDined on 10/26/2014Great place for a special dinner out. Great food, great service... music, atmosphere, and a solid margarita! Patio seating on Melrose Ave, good size bar if you're waiting for a table. "Noise level" moderate on a Sunday night... more "Energetic" on a Fri/Sat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Impressed!SavvyDinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Red O was surprising very good. When it first opened I had heard mixed reviews about the food, but then kinks must have been worked out as both meals we had were excellent. My wife had the Ahi, cooked to perfection, and I had the Cochinita Pipil which was among the best I've ever had. We've eaten at Rick Bayless' restaurants in Chicago and our visit to Red O was definitely on par with his other great establishments. The specialty cocktails were especially good, try the Casa Blanco margarita! Delicious! Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, horrible serviceKokomoVIPDined on 10/25/2014This is my third time going and I have to say the food was excellent. I have read reviews of bad service but never had one until this night. We went for my birthday and no refills until we were done eating. No refills on chips until our food came which we had a party of six. Our waiter was too busy talking with another table to even notice us. He would just keep walking by us. We had to flag a busser for some service. No dessert menu was offered to us until we flagged another waiter for a menu. We did not order dessert because he took too long to come back to us to see if we wanted dessert. I still left a 18% tip because of the other waiters. I will continue to come here but if I receive the same waiter I will just ask for another table.Special Features:
- Great food / great experianceBillVIPDined on 10/21/2014Every time it just gets better. Keep up the great work.
- Great service, food and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014When I made the reservations I posted that we would be celebrating my mother's birthday that evening. I was pleased that this was communicated to our server and the 1st thing she said was Happy Birthday. The food is not only delicious but beautiful in its presentation. We all shared our plates and still had leftovers. And the drinks were fab! Especially the spicy margarita! I can't wait for round 2!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant.tnt125Dined on 10/18/2014Great food, atmosphere, service and the Margueritas were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like we were in MexicoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Let me start by saying if your expecting a friendly staff, do go. We were met by a very unfriendly hostess, who proceeded to tell us that our table had been given away to someone else, so much for reservations. The waiter was ok, took forever to take the order. But once done everything else fell into place. The food was amazing. Right on point with what we were expectingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/15/2014The food was amazing. The margarita was incredible as was the guacamole. Everything exceeded our expectations.Special Features:
- Happy & satisfied!LeoCherylSantosVIPDined on 10/12/2014Came here one night to ger our favorite dish, the whole fried Barrinzino fish. Only to find the menu had been changed. We spoke with Jim (Manager) & Justin (Head Chef) about our disapointment with what we were sreved, & they promised to make it up to us on our next visit. They came through with flying colors, serving us the fish we so craved the last time we were here, (with a two day notice, so they could get the whole Barrinzino). Please request that they put it back on the menu your next visit. It's the perfect dish for two to share.Special Features:
- OutstandingSelective1Dined on 10/11/2014This is the spot if you want excellent food, innovative yet substantive cocktails, gorgeous ambiance, a classy vibe without being pretentious and high quality, nice staff. I'm a big fan of Mexican food, yet it's hard to find an upscale dining experience with really good Mexican food. Red O accomplishes that and so much more. Outstanding Mexican food, with polish and flair that adds to every delicious mouthful. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in LASsasDined on 10/10/2014This is the second time that I have been to Red O. Everything from the service to the ambience to the food is extraordinary. Live music was a great touch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/9/2014The restaurant was less than half full and it took 20 min for us to order drinks. And the rest of the meal was very slow
- Great place!!!dadorkjoeyDined on 10/5/2014Great restaurant amazing food. It's mexican food with an exotic touch to it. Great place for friend gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Great food and nice ambiance. You have to try it!Special Features:
- Always a great meal!PhyllisVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food is unusual and exceptional. You can depend upon Red-O for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- ambiance is very niceseafooddietDined on 10/4/2014The food was a little pricey,but delicious,service was great outside dining was relaxed and very comfortable. We were celebrating a birthday the presentation of the birthday dessert was beautiful and most of all I was impressed. The next day when I received a thank you from red o. A very pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatModeangelDined on 9/28/2014I loved everything we tried: Mole lamb Shrimp and crab enchiladas Corn Mash potatoes MargaritasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Most of my party were enjoying margaritas but I had the most delicious Cosmopolitan; thank you bartender! And the short rib enchiladas were yummy!Special Features:
- Did not meet my expectationsJosh90404Dined on 9/27/2014I'm not sure if I just had such high expectations of Rick Bayless' food, but I was not "wowed" by Red-O. I've been meaning to go to this restaurant for a while now because I've heard such good things about Rick Bayless and his mastery of Mexican cuisine. The menu prices reflect the overall ambiance, the high-end decor, and the prim & proper wait staff, but doesn't quite reflect the quality of food. For prices this exorbitant, you'd expect the food to be much more scrumptious than your average mexican restaurant or home-cooked mexican food. The ingredients may be more expensive (e.g. lobster, duck, short ribs), but the sauces and flavors do not really impress.Special Features:
- Dinner at the Osandler01VIPDined on 9/26/2014Our food was very good and lots of good items to enjoy. The only down side was staff was missing in action. Once we infromed manager we had a swarm of service. I will go back as the food and local were both very good.Special Features:
- Red O - Friday Date Nighttatted537637143Dined on 9/26/2014Went here with my wife on our Friday night date night. Had been wanting to come here for quite some time. The service was exceptional. The staff is extremely attentive and very nice. The seating.. ehh.. such a small table, cramped in at the front entry area, and seats were dirty. Didn't like that at all. The food (ahi) (enchiladas suizas) were okay. I expected something exceptional with all the hype but it wasn't. I'd probably come back if friends that have never been there wanted to go.. but I think I'd recommend to move on and check out other places first.Special Features:
- Wonderful nightGladIWentVIPDined on 9/21/2014The only thing that compares with the great food, is the great service. Another wonderful evening at Red-O !Special Features:
- Red O a wonderful authentic MexicanLolo0321Dined on 9/20/2014We were celebrating a birthday and loved dining at Red O. It is a beautiful restaurant with live music, great food and we had a friendly waiter as well. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Nice for special occasionstopchefsgroupieDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was very nicely decorated and service was outstanding. Surprised my wife for her birthday and she was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Lamb with Black Mole was outstanding! Margarita's are totally fabulous. We brought friends with us this time and they loved everything. We all will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantGeobad11VIPDined on 9/18/2014I could never get over how good and innovative RedO is. Its creativity and flavor profile is quite different and unique compared to most Mexican restaurants. I had the enchilada and the sauce was buttery, well-seasoned and overall amazing. The service may have been a bit slow in the beginning. We waited quite a while after being seated before we received any service. I would say 10-15 mins. Working in the service industry myself, I understand that the waitress may have been super busy...I totally get it, but I have to be honest with my review here. I had to go to the bar to get our first drink. Our waitress felt bad and comped the appetizer for us...that was a nice gesture. The evening was amazing overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service!topchef1Dined on 9/18/2014Service was incredible! Everyone who worked there was accommodating to any requests or questions we had. Beautiful decor.Special Features:
- Fine Dining Mexican FoodIlovefoodsomuchVIPDined on 9/16/2014Great food. Only had the appetizers but the margarita is really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.