470 Pacific Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.quincerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4157758500x5
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm and Saturday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
The bar and lounge are open Monday - Friday at 5:30 pm and Saturday: 5:00 pm
Reservations can be made in advance two months to the calendar date.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Tusk
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Quince Restaurant offers offsite catering for parties of 10-100! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
A word from Quince Restaurant
Situated in San Francisco's historic Jackson Square, Lindsay and Chef Michael Tusk's celebrated Quince Restaurant features Italian and French inspired tasting menus that highlight the seasonal bounty of Northern California. Accompanying each menu is an innovative wine pairing program. A sophisticated cocktail program features innovative, seasonal ingredients and unique, table side preparations. Chef Michael Tusk was named “Best Chef: Pacific” by the James Beard Foundation in 2011. Quince was awarded its second Michelin star in 2013 and in April 2012, the San Francisco Chronicle bestowed a fourth star to Quince.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Quince Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Quince Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (90)fit for foodies (80)romantic (66)notable wine list (61)neighborhood gem (11)hot spot (11)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good and expensiveJeanVIPDined on 7/24/2014Excellent food here, but several things I don't like such as tables to close one to each other (not everywhere), a fast, little bit non personal service… The view toward the brick wall with cellar inside is very nice, the opposite view is poor… All in all excellent experience and fabulous food I admit.Special Features:
- Pricey but Great Food!foodie2junkieDined on 7/23/2014My wife and I love to try new place to eat and since we are one a budget, we try to spoil ourselves once every month with places like these. Great food and great service!! House cocktails are good to have if not a wine drinker. But if you love to drink wine, I suggest to bring your own nice bottle or wine, since the good wines are really over priced!Special Features:
- Fantastic Time!SFlovefoodMIDined on 7/23/2014I will go back again! Superb! Great hospitality and fantastic food! I had 5 course with wine paring. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- A night to rememberSpecialKVIPDined on 7/23/2014Our evening at Quince was - hands sown - one of the best restaurant experiences I have ever had. The food was exceptional - bold re-makes of classics mixed with with more traditional preparations - but the food was just a part of the reason it was so good. It was the people and ambiance that sealed the deal. Our server, Alexandra, was extremely professional and personal too, remembering me from a prior visit. The Asst Wine Director (Sian) was also awesome, knowledgeable and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorablejpnycDined on 7/21/2014This is not an everyday restaurant, dining at Quince is more of a food centered event. They were late getting my table ready and went out of their way to make up for it that I felt the experience was actually improved by the small inconvenience. Every piece of food I tasted was outstanding, featuring beautiful ingredients, artfully balanced and never boring. The wine pairings were also spot on, adding something to each dish. The service was impeccable, and the staff impressively knowledgeable about all aspects of the meal. If you can afford to treat yourself to something special, this would be a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wines to die for!ilikewineDined on 7/19/2014Quince has a highly sophisticated selection of wine from Northern California, France and Italy and that's only the beginning. The sommelier makes the difference and the young woman who guided me through my experience was extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungrydvrDined on 7/16/2014Quince is an elegant setting for superbly prepared and served food.Special Features:
- ExcellentKarenDined on 7/15/2014We had the summer tasting menu with wine and it was all excellent! Still thinking about many of the dishes. Good service. Very friendly and knowledgeable. Noise level wasn't bad at all. Lots of sound absorbing stuff in the dinning room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deserves the two MichelinJaiDDined on 7/12/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here. It ranked as high as the three Michelin star restaurants in Napa.Special Features:
- Still 2 Michelin starsRobinDined on 7/12/2014But I have to lower them from 5 to 4 1/2. Friendly, efficient, take care of the customer service without the attitude. I had to take away a half star because the meals in the past set such a high standard and their current menu did not reach that height. There were some successful dishes mixed in with just OK dishes. The Big Eye Tuna was ordinary while the Abalone was the dish of the night for us. The Suckling Pig Tortellini again was OK while the Tagliolini was nuanced with many levels of flavors. What really made the dinner was the staff. Our wives had an issue with one of the entrees and the chef whipped up a completely new item not on the menu and they poured a wonderful wine, not on the list, to pair with the dish. Kudos.Special Features:
- Amazing food, amazing price tag...UpwelldinewellDined on 7/11/2014Every dish was great, the meal was great, the staff was incredibly knowledgeable... However, be prepared to spend at least $600 for two people. As amazing as that meal was it's hard to justify spending that much money on one meal for two people...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014We had an amazing time with great good and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a wonderful meal at Quince. We really enjoyed the food and the hidden wine tasting, where we had to try and guess what the pour was. We would go back there the next time we visit San Francisco.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceRonchieDined on 7/9/2014Surprising tastes, beautiful serving, professional service. One of the best culinary experiences we've ever had. We celebrated my husband's 40th birthday there and it was the perfect place for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in all ways...almost...JDofDCVIPDined on 7/8/2014Quince sets the standard in San Francisco. The kitchen is creative and each course is prepared perfectly and delivered with just enough time to savor it before the next one. The service is sublime and attention to detail so good it almost goes unnoticed. Only lapse was the wine list and sommelier. We put ourselves in his hands and while making a great initial recommendation he was unable, it seemed, to build on the experience. Wine list was lacking in great white burgundies, but in all fairness they were quick to repair the issue and we later learned that they are preparing for a renovation this summer, which may explain the issue. Bottom line, if you are a serious foodie and like Daniel Bolud's NY restaurants, you will love Quince.Special Features:
- Very good but short of greatFooderVIPDined on 7/5/2014Undoubtedly a very good restaurant. Excellent service, nice ambiance, very good wine list. The food, although very good, is not magical. Fairly traditional dishes: some more and other less inspired. The experience was positive, especially the selection of wines paired with the tasting menu, but no one at the table was really wowed.Special Features:
- Simply amazing!ChefonTheRunVIPDined on 7/4/2014I was blown away by the service at Quince. The food was also amazing, but amazing service just elevates already great food! My friend and I had the tasting menu, paired with wine. Fabulous! At the end of our night, we were given a tour of the kitchen. Since we both work in the food industry, that was icing on the cake! Thank you Quince for such an amazing experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2014Could have been an off day or busy 4th weekend. Food was tasty but all in all not a memorable experience. May consider going back just for squab and lamb. Considering this place is not cheap, unsure if willing to take a chance and be disappointed. It took such a long time to get our first round of drinks. We had planned on going back to Fisherman's Wharf to our hotel to watch the fireworks. It took so long that we had to rush through dessert. We were unable to even enjoy a cup of coffee considering that's what we needed. The intervals b/n courses was a bit too long that others were getting bored and sleepy. We were famished by the time the bread was in line to be served. We must say that the wine recommendation was good.
- still my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014This is the first time at Quince since they moved from a charming house to a more comerical location. I liked the house better for ambiance, and for the home-like feel, but the food is as creative and satisfying as ever! I recently went to another Michelin starred mega hyped restaurant in NYC, and the contrast could not be more stark. Showmanship versus "real" food and Quince wins hands down. I don't care if every diners' plate is laid down at the same time - and I don't need to choose a theme for my meal. I care about taste and the quality of the food and Quince, with its emphasis on locally sourced ingredients, hits exactly the right balance between wildly creative flavors and friendly, informative service by people who love the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buyer Beware! Not Value For $$$$$MitchInSanFranVIPDined on 7/3/2014Quince is very good, but the value is not good for the meal. Our bill was $557 before tip for 2 people, which is okay for an exquisite dining experience, but the food did not live up to that. We had the 5 course fixed price menu, and my wife had the wine flight. I had 2 drinks.The pasta course was excellent. My wife had the sea bass, which was very good. I had the steak, which was $25 extra, and it was not worth it. Very little flavor. All in all, I thought the meal was good, but not great. I did not feel it was good value for the amount Quince charges. If I want to spend that much for a fancy dinner, I would much rather go to Gary Danko's, or in days gone by, Masa's or Fleur de Lys, where I always felt the meal matched the price.Special Features:
- Phenomenal Dining ExperienceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 7/1/2014Notwithstanding very high expectations given previous experiences with other Michelin star restaurants, we were absolutely blown away by our recent experience at Quince. Food quality, flavours and wine pairings were all absolutely spot on the mark, and the knowledgeable and extremely passionate staff made the experience all the more worthwhile. Bravo! Will absolutely return the next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Overpriced and under fedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014One can easily find much better value almost anywhere else in the Bay Area. Portions are very small although well executed. Wine selections are on point. In general quince is very good just incredibly overpriced. Save every last penny if you want to eat here!Special Features:
- FantasticChampinoDined on 6/28/2014Beautiful space. Impeccably trained staff. Phenomenal food.Special Features:
- Beyond wordsFishDined on 6/27/2014Stunning and a visual delight. Not many places will make you swoon three days laterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing but disappointment.ggorajiDined on 6/23/2014I am from Canada and I love fine dining - thats where most of my paycheck goes. I was dying to have a michellin star restaurant experience so my gf and I chose Quince. We both had $180 9 course dinner. Appetizers all taste the same. It was getting better as the course went on, all the sauces and everything had its complexity and unique taste. Unfortunately they don't always mean great taste. It was OK. nothing more than that. Desserts were excellent. That I enjoyed. Overall they werent that bad. But I can easily name 10 restaurants in Toronto that have much better food than Quince and cheaper. O plus, there were crying kids in the restaurant. And also, servers rnt that nice either. they will rap the menu and run away.Special Features:
- Enough alreadylandjDined on 6/23/2014The food at QUINCE was nearly flawless. All dishes on the 5-course menu were delicious and the serving sizes were decent. The one exception was the corn pasta--not enough arugula to have a little with each bite, and it was needed to round out the flavors. Service was weird--excessive and really cold. We were in sticker shock from the wine list. And the ambience is nice but unspectacular. The experience just wasn't worth $720 (including tip) for 3 people. After a couple of similar experiences at other places lately, this is enough for us to swear off fine dining forever. We'll leave that to the people who have money to throw away.Special Features:
- eatwellDined on 6/23/2014This was a very elegant meal. The food and wine were very delicious. While the service was attentive, the wine server fell down on the job. The initial pour and a few after that came as our glasses were emptied, but there was still two pours left in the bottle while my husband's glass remained empty for an extended period of time. In fact, the last pour was made while the dessert plates were being removed from the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014All dishes were amazing and sophisticated with fresh & tasty summer ingredients. The service was not only professional but also warm and comfortable. The pastry chef sent us special beautiful cake for our anniversary celebration. Quince restaurant gave us very memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SushiloverDined on 6/16/2014Quince had an amazing menu, second only to Banker and baker in pacific heights and Alinea in Chicago. Best way to spend my boyfriend's bday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceFborgesDined on 6/14/2014We has the 8 course menu and the experience was great. The sommelier is very helpful and funny. She is a highlight of the restaurant. In general, the menu is very good with some excellent courses. The desert is excellent. Service is great. But I confess that I was expecting a little bit more of the food, although it was great.Special Features:
- Just "meh" for the priceJustabiteVIPDined on 6/13/2014Had a nice meal, but there are much better experiences at this price point in the area.
- Please Ask QuestionsMandMDined on 6/12/2014I went to quince to take my special loved one to this 4 star restaurant. Fist off the food is very good but the prices and the service left me not happy. Fist off the menu can be a 5 course or 8 course. The five course was chosen for 130$ each I thought. Second the wine choice. I brought a bottle from my cellar but was never offered the wine list. What a mistake that was. The food well it came out to be over 430.00$ yes that's right and the corkage fee was 55$. What a terrible rip-off. I was so upset. I was never offered the wine list to review or were the fees ever discussed.Special Features:
- The Quince GlowvsipDined on 6/9/2014The second I walked in I was enchanted with the "glow" of Quince. I wanted a dinning experience that was a treat at the end of a short trip to San Francisco and it exceeded my expectations. My family friend wasn't a seafood fan and the server and chef accommodated her. We had a long and delightful dinner. Quince is fine dining but without pretension.Special Features:
- Best Service I've ever hadRoselaniVIPDined on 6/7/2014Everything was five star. The creative dishes were wonderful. The only reason I'm giving it a four stars for food is because when compared to other restaurants of that caliber it didn't measure up. By no means was the food bad,it was great but it's not one of the best I've had. The main thing is that I had a fantastic experience and that is what you are paying for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great reputation well earnedIsaacVIPDined on 6/6/2014In town for a weekend aw. Looked In town for the weekend and wanted a nice place to celebrate my wife's birthday. I looked around and the name Quince kept coming up and was able to make a reservation. Upon arrival it did not disappoint. We let them do their thing with the prix fixe menu & wine pairing and everything was spot-on! I'd list the standouts but considering the changing nature of these menus, I'll just say all of it was excellent and whatever they serve you will exceed expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for a Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/6/2014Magnificent food. Service that amazingly combines the best of formal service with casual, approachability. The best dining experience possible!Special Features:
- Memorable dinnerRabbitreviewDined on 6/6/2014We waited a couple of years before returning to Quince after a not enjoyable dinner at a table between the bar and kitchen door. We missed the old Quince and didn't know if we would return, but I read recent reviews that were positive and decided to try it. I'm glad that we did. The food was extraordinary -- creative, with amazing flavors and beautiful presentation. The martini, champagne, and Chablis were all exceptionally good; and the service was impeccable. I'm not a big fan of the decor, but that's a matter of personal taste. The music added to the ambience without being intrusive. The only off note of the whole experience was the two bottles of fruit juice with straws that our waitperson handed us as we walked out the door.Special Features:
- Fine dining with a charming edgejohanroggeDined on 6/3/2014Waiter started the meal by serving us the first wine in a black glass an politely challenged us to a wine/grape guessing. We accepted and had great fun while enjoying fantastically prepared food. Well worth the money.Special Features:
- RoyersDined on 6/3/2014I had the 9 course Quince menu with the wine pairings. Every dish was amazing but still got better with each course. The sommelier was really warm and friendly. She was very eager to talk about the reasoning behind the pairing with the dish. Wait staff was what you would expect from a two Michelin star restaurant. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbFreddyRVIPDined on 5/31/2014On par with top restauraunts around the country. Sophisticated, beautifully prepared, fresh ingredients combined in spectacular ways, not overly dependent on gimmicky technique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.