622 Broadway East
Seattle, WA 98102Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poppyseattle.com/
- Phone: 2063241108x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jerry Traunfeld
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Roy
- Public Transit: Poppy is on Broadway along the main metro bus route (49) between downtown and the University District. There are two stops within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a pay lot with restaurant access directly behind Poppy. Rates are $5 for 2 hours and $9 for 3. Street parking, metered and non-metered, is available in the area.
A word from Poppy
In a warm, modern dining room overlooking the lively streetscape of North Capitol Hill, Poppy presents James Beard award winning Chef Jerry Traunfeld’s style of Northwest cooking. Inspired by the thali, a tray of many small dishes served all at once to each guest, Poppy's menu highlights the best of local seasonal ingredients, spices, and fresh herbs from its own back garden, and includes many options for vegetarians. Poppy is an excellent venue for your group dining needs, please call or email for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
Poppy reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (167)neighborhood gem (100)special occasion (92)good for groups (40)romantic (39)hot spot (37)great for outdoor dining (27)notable wine list (24)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (15)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great pre movie at the Harvard ExitlesleyDined on 9/15/2014My friend and I popped into Poppy for a bite before going to see a movie at the Harvard Exit. Sat outside and had a spectacular mix of appetizers and drinks. Love the fried mussels and veg tarte...Special Features:
- Poppy - Great food but loudKevinDined on 9/13/2014Went to Poppy for my wife's bday and to celebrate friend's anniversary. Really had no idea what to expect except that we had heard the food was great. And that it was. We tried several appetizers and each ordered a different main course. None disappointed. The only downsides to the whole night were the cafeteria-style décor and noise. It was very noisy and difficult to have a conversation. Table and chairs were fit for a local high school cafeteria. Oh well, food and service were great. Would definitely go back but more as a casual date night or meet up with friends.Special Features:
- Delicious...KevinDined on 9/13/2014Food was excellent. The choices for full meals are limited to about four Thalis, but they are all fabulous. The staff knows the food very well, and the drinks are great too. Not a cheap place, but worth it.Special Features:
- GreatDdbbDined on 9/11/2014I had bought gift certificates for friends but had never been myself. The food was wonderful as was the service. I look forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoppyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014This was our second visit to Poppy. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The only suggestion we would have for the managers would be to improve on the coffee. We ordered a French Press decaf coffee which was more than a little on the weak side. Perhaps there was a measuring error. Other than that, we had no complaints and would very happily return for another meal. There is a downside with respect to parking in the area which. of course, has nothing to do with the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Seattle DiningEastsider4lifeDined on 9/10/2014Different, phenomenal food, fun cocktails, yummy treats, great wine menu and priced right. It is hard to go to other restaurants after going to Poppy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great and differentLynnebradDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful food. Different than any other place web have been. Attentive serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- johnc5215Dined on 9/6/2014We've been to Poppy several times now. As always the food is the best reason for coming, but also the very helpful and knowledgeable wait staff. They provide just the right level of attentiveness without being intrusive or hyper-friendly. The list of Washington wines is not huge but gives one the feeling of careful selection and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodhavingfun2Dined on 9/6/2014We had king salmon dishes that were outstanding. Numerous small sides were an eclectic (e.g., fingerling potatoes with lavender), but fantastic combination that were delicious on their own and brought out the flavor of the salmon. I also had an heirloom salad (Billy's tomato salad) that was delicious with a unique dressing (non-overpowering bacon flavor) and cucumber sorbet. Service was attentive. Only point of feedback was that it took quite a while to get our entrees (~45 min) at a time when there were only a few other customers in the restaurant. Overall, great experience and would recommend.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!!!DanthemanDined on 8/31/2014This place never fails to wow us. The food is always great with very interesting flavor combinations. The portions are just right and the poppy naan ties it all together. Your taste buds will thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerDined on 8/30/2014Poppy has never disappointed me. This is the third time I have dined here and this time for a special birthday dinner. The food is over-the-top delicious without being pretentious and uptight. I have never had such great service anywhere as this restaurant. Informative, polite, discreet and attentive. This was an outstanding dinner from start to finish.Special Features:
- The food here was awesome!justmarriedDined on 8/29/2014Poppy was put on my radar as I watched old episodes of Top Chef Master, and Jerry, the owner, was one of the featured chefs. The judges all agreed that his food was excellent. As I live in Seattle I looked up his restaurant. My husband ordered a duck thali; I ordered a beef thali. We both enjoyed the food very much. I was as proud of the food as if I had cooked it myself because my husband was so pleased with it and I scored points for finding the place. He picked the bone clean! He never eats dessert, but they looked interesting so we ordered a desert thali. Usually, he'll only try a bite, but he found these irresistible. Bar raised! We liked it so much, we bought a gift card to give to my daughter for her 21st birthday! Well done, Jerry!Special Features:
- So many flavorspickypickyDined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our meal a great deal. I do think however that some of the side dishes were not harmoniously seasoned, and that the bitter elements of the herbs were overly emphatic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!SistaDined on 8/29/2014Had a great dinner at poppy, tried the duck Thalis and it was great. The cocktails were innovative and really good! Thought it was a little pricey though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Your tastes buds will be inspired! Dinner was delicious and prompt. Service was attentive but not overwhelming. Dessert was worth every spoonful.Special Features:
- Poppy is special....ToddDined on 8/28/2014Poppy is our favorite restaurant in Seattle. We always go there on special occasions. Please try Poppy if you haven't. You will not he disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmarterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I am a smarter person after my dining experience at Poppy. The flavor combinations and use of fresh, simple ingredients in new creative ways really had my synapses firing. I felt like I was opening up new trains of thought as I bounced around the many delights on my Thali plate. Lettuce soup, squash blossom main course, hot and numbing dumplings; the list goes on of "write home about it" dishes at Poppy. Thanks so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fabulous until.....MelValDined on 8/26/2014I went with my girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. It was a mid-week date night and very special and romantic. Through the Open Table site, I requested that only one thing that people say Happy Birthday to my girlfriend. And sure enough...the hostess and server greeted us with a nice welcome and Happy Birthday. The server was great, pleasant, honest (sometimes brutally), and helpful. She really made the experience great, and I could tell she felt very comfortable with us. Even bought us a glass of wine and dessert. But, then it went south to awkwardville....she began to tell us her life story, and I felt a bit awkward about the content. I won't elaborate, but let's just say it is not suitable for kids. She was really fun until then.Special Features:
- Poppy! Beautiful Bites.GiveMeABiteDined on 8/26/2014I just returned from NY, where I gave Collichio & Sons 5 stars! Seattle's Poppy receives a 4 star rating ONLY because I did not try everything on the menu! The eggplant fries almost brought tears. Yes, I was able to cut my steak with a butter knife. Black rice with yams; a nice surprise. I sent my sister pictures and said that on her next visit, we will have to try everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sanleesanleeDined on 8/24/2014Poppy always pleases. It is outstanding in combining the most unlikely food into a wonderful whole. I had a soup of tomato and strawberry, it was great. duck perfect. The cooking here never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun birthday!annsliuDined on 8/24/2014I've always wanted to try Poppy's thali sets and finally got a chance to on my birthday. We got to sit in the garden and enjoyed the evening thoroughly. The food was slow to come out-a couple sat and ordered after we did got their food first, which was annoying. The food was perfectly cooked and was so delicate and fun to eat! Will definitely come back!Special Features:
- lalynntayDined on 8/23/2014Creative meals, exceptionally tasty. Unique combination of herbs, particularly the fingerlings with lavender and mint. The salmon was cooked perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent all the waydcheDined on 8/22/2014everything was perfect for a send off meal for our daughter to grad school in Denmark. Great service, great and unique food, noise level quiet enough we didn't have to yell to talk to each other. Fabulour appetizer, talli dishes and dessert. Couldn't have been better. A truly memorable meal. Love the unique flavor combinationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner twice this weekMaodDined on 8/22/2014Had dinner at Poppy twice this week. The food was delicious and the chef designed combinations were very well chosen. Jason our waiter was superlative...even when the computer was down the service was seamless to the patrons. Miaraculous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelynitinmanDined on 8/18/2014I'm a bit of a purist, but the fusion style thalis are really well put together. Each little dish, has a touch of something that makes it really interesting, and delicious. The reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because the food came out tepid, should have been warmer and also a couple of the dishes were a tad too oily. After my previous dining experience at another Indian fusion restuarant, Shanik, this one wins hands down.Special Features:
- My favorite dinner spotSeawestDined on 8/18/2014I love Poppy. I could eat there every day. The food is amazing and the service is impeccable. I highly recommend you to go there if you haven't tried it yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IuliaIuliiaDined on 8/17/2014Amazing combinations of herbs, fruits and meat. Good place to have dinner. Salad with octopus was great :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The absolute BESTsirilinneaVIPDined on 8/14/2014We adore Poppy. We celebrated my birthday here last week. Everything was absolutely flawless. The food is incredible. I had the Salmon Thali and hubs had the Chicken Tandori. We also had the heirloom tomato salad and the dessert thali to end the evening. Everything is so good. I cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste upon tastesaintnickVIPDined on 8/14/2014A fantastic mélange of dishes and flavors. Every morsel we tried was amazing. Order an appetizer and a thali combination, sit back and prepare for a meal of pure indulgence! We started with the incredible eggplant fries with seasalt and honey and almost fell out of our chairs with delight at our first nibbles. Our thalis included slow-roasted Washington king salmon with summer herb sauce, chilled corn and lemon thyme soup, blackberry thyme pickle, turnips with miso butter and chives, nigella-poppy naan and so much more--sublime bite after sublime bite. I can quote the exact items because we insisted on taking a menu home to show to friends! If we lived closer to Seattle we'd be over at Poppy on a very regular basis. What a meal!Special Features:
- Great Food - sort of like tapasBobJDined on 8/13/2014The menu was a bit daunting because I couldn't imagine what a lot of the dishes would look or taste like. Fantastic food! Every little dish was a well-paired combination of flavors and textures. It was light Christmas morning opening up each new item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTWP2Dined on 8/13/2014I tend to never order chicken but the waiter said it was the best chicken he ever had. I decided to go with his suggestion and was very, very impressed. Delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poppy birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014We were celebrating my wife's birthday and I had requested for a candle lit cake to be brought towards the end. I left these instructions on both open table as well as called the restaurant. However, when the dessert came, they had completely forgotten about that. Other than that the food was excellent as always. Will definitely recommend this place for dinner; just hope their staff can follow through with such requests in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tastesseattlefunteacherDined on 8/9/2014Loved this experience. You are not eating here to get full but to experience complex tastes and expose yourself to enlightened dishes. Loved the sides more than the main and we had duck and salmon. Killer strawberry cake marshmallows. Was thinking about them all week.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014I LOVED this restaurant! From the hostess, to the service, to the unbelievable food, this restaurant did not disappoint. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/6/2014Delicious, inventive food, interesting cocktails, and great service!Special Features:
- backagainDined on 8/5/2014The food was truly out of this world, really exceptional. Ambience and service was very pleasant. I will go back more often - myself and my clients-friends we just loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreativityTimInSeattleDined on 8/3/2014I think that Poppy shines as a example of creative culinary invention. The menu here includes taste combinations that I bet you've never experienced before, and the food is superb. Service is also very good. The room is nicely laid out with room between tables and a tolerable noise level--you can actually have a conversation there. The dining concept is small plates to be shared with others at your table. Ask you waitperson how much to order, and order more of anything you like or would like to try in a second round. Take the plunge, eat at Poppy's, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014The service is second to none. Order one of their signature craft cocktails; the bar smells amazing because they infuse natural herbs into their drinks. Ambiance is light and airy.Special Features:
- Stylish and tasty!PatrickDined on 8/1/2014Good food, great atmosphere, would go back again! Had the chicken with rice and cucumber. The sides were original and complemented the main dish quite well. The naan was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poppy is utterly fabulous!!!oneillDined on 7/30/2014Everyhting we ordered was perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. This restaurant is divine.Special Features: