Morimoto - Maui
3550 Wailea Alanui Dr.
Wailea, HI 96753Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Morimoto - Maui
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotomaui.com/
- Phone: 8082434766x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Daily: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us directly.
- Special Events: Available for private and semi-private events for 2-160 guests. Please contact us for further information.
A word from Morimoto - Maui
Morimoto's contemporary Japanese menu infuses traditional dishes with Western ingredients and preparation techniques. His seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations will feature the freshest seafood available as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Morimoto's signature offerings include Toro Tartare, presented in a shallow wooden tray with condiments including crème fraîche, wasabi, avocado, nori paste, chives, crispy rice, and dashi-soy. Tuna Pizza made with raw tuna, anchovy aioli, and jalapeno; Morimoto Sashimi, a terrine of seared Toro, smoked salmon, barbequed eel, tuna and Hamachi served with five different sauces in pipettes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Morimoto - Maui - Best Restaurants in Wailea ›
Morimoto - Maui reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)scenic view (73)special occasion (71)great for outdoor dining (68)romantic (62)hot spot (25)notable wine list (24)good for groups (18)great for lunch (14)neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Heaven for foodie'sFoodieloverVIPDined on 9/28/2014Went for our anniversery dinner. They surprised us with complimentary champagne and our desert; which was part of our 7 course tasting had a special "aniversery-chocolate" touch to it. Thank you for the Lanai seating, we had a spectacular view. We chose the "Okamase" menu, and was pleasently thrilled for each surprise 7 course meal. Was perfectly presented & most importantly delicious. The $$$$$ was worth it. The service by ALL helps were excellent!! I've dine in many "tasting's" before most notably Alinea in Chicago which boasts "the best restaurant in the world". When i went to Alinea they had an "asian theme" that night. The food at Morimoto's far exceeds them in taste and service, you all should be proud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your moneyHegeliciousDined on 9/25/2014Food was good. Service was atrocious. Waiter said he'd bring over a cut of the Wagyu A5 to show the beautiful marbling. He forgot. He explained to us how the tasting menu was "never the same" at any Morimoto restaurant. He said he'd bring out some literature on the varying tasting menus at their restaurants. Again, he forgot. Food was showy. They asked if we were celebrating a special occasion; we were there for our 2nd anniversary and Babymoon. Waited never mentioned it. My wife and I enjoy a tasting menu, but this place was simply not worth the exorbitant price.Special Features:
- -2 for ambianceLindamademeDined on 9/24/2014After watching Morimoto for years on TV, we were really looking forward to finally experiencing his cuisine. We made reservations for a sunset dinner. The restaurant is modern, but is smaller than expected. Inside seating has large windows facing the ocean and setting sun, however the large bar outside obscures any view of the sunset. Outside was not much better, with two serving stations on the west side that blocked much of the view. Our table was 18 inches from the adjacent hotel pool steps, so we were treated to pool and beach guests wandering past our table. Music was a bizarre mix including Led Zeppelin covers. The chef's tasting menu and saki pairings finally gave us a taste of Morimoto and we were not disappointed. Expensive.Special Features:
- Great name..only ok game!ToughluvVIPDined on 9/20/2014We went for the "name"...who can ignore Morimoto...but, they never told us about the long walk down/upstairs...partly on dimly lit stairs. Not for old folk, esp. those with bad knees/hips/eyes! And, based on our meal/experience, really not for "foodiies". A wide variety of Sake...nice range of wine..both by the glass and bottle...and the rock shrimp appetizer was wonderful..the sushi assortment really underwhelming...we had yellowtail cooked at the table..nice touch...more the presentation than the fish and ingredients which were on the "small" size...their version of "bouillabaisse" was also pretty uninspiring...maybe it was because their AC wasn't working well...and the hostess went in/out a main door 3-4 times letting the cool out.Special Features:
- RidiculousLex1VIPDined on 9/15/2014For a new establishment in Maui, with the ratings that are listed online, this place wasn't worth eating at even if it was complimentary. My husband and I dined here on our honeymoon. The service was shotty at best. We ordered surf and turf, sushi dishes, several sides, as well as an appetizer. The salted marble potatoes were thrown on the plate as if it was just picked up from the grocery store. Presentation of all dishes was pretty bad especially since everyone raves that this is an establishment of a "top chef" winner...where is Gordon Ramsay when you need him? The meat was served medium rare when we ordered medium. We were quite unimpressed with the service, presentation, as well as quality of food. Don't believe what you read online
- Pleasant ExperienceKootenayFoodieDined on 9/14/2014The food was very good and it was obvious they used very fresh ingredients. Service was friendly, the pork gyoza with bacon foam was a cool plate to try. Would go back. We ordered many small plates to share and that gave us a good chance to see what it was like and nothing disappointed. Very unique and different taste in every dish and you could tell that the kitchen took great care in putting it together and in preparation. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014First trip to Morimoto's, and it definitely lives up to the hype. Food was very tasty, and the staff was great.Special Features:
- Great special experienceKarolinaDined on 9/13/2014This is not a place where I would have diner on a daily basis. It's quite expensive but the food is worth it. You can find some dishes not that expensive but the portions are small and you wont experience the touch of a master chef.Special Features:
- OmakaseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014We had the tasting menu and it was absolutly outstanding. Defiantly a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodZadina15Dined on 9/9/2014My wife and I came here for dinner on our honeymoon and the food was excellent. We had a very nice experience. The hotel is also very cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chris KopczynskiKiomotoDined on 9/7/2014I was very excited to eat at Miromoto's and was not entirely disappointed. The setting, service, and artistic presentation of the food was off the hook good. The food itself was flavorful and fresh. The price for the amount of food given was not balanced. Not that I expected a buffet of food on my plate but my friend ordered the black cod ($40) and had no problem finishing it in about two bites, three if you count the olives. After dinner we found a burger joint to get full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for the last night on MauiMauiFlightDined on 9/1/2014Romantic, and excellent. What more can I say. A must.Special Features:
- Amazing food and service!linzDined on 9/1/2014We sis the chefs choice eight course dinner. The food was amazingly creative and the service was impeccable! Not. Bad thing to sy about it.Special Features:
- Wayyy too OverratedNatydDined on 8/27/2014Location is outstanding... let's face it, you're on Maui, what else do you expect. We ordered Sushi- it really was not the best and it was way too pricey. It was too bad because we expected much more.
- Just so-so.XOXODined on 8/24/2014Expected more from a place of Morimoto's fame! Strong chlorine smell from an adjacent pool forced us inside - a simple, casual, and not very elegant room. Sake was nice, but the cocktails - unimaginative, with barely discernible alcohol - forgettable. Beef Carpaccio had tasty sauces and would have been really enjoyable if it were served cold - not warm! Salads - blah! Bone Marrow and Pork Belly were excellent - the only dishes that stood out. Spicy Tuna and Spicy Salmon Rolls were sadly disappointing - bland, disunited flavors, not just overly simple, but simplistic and unbalanced; fish was there by itself and some spiciness - by itself, almost as an afterthought. Disappointing overall. Not worth a return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014Service was good, the view was fabulous and the food was good. Had a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Chef's Menu with a viewGADinatorVIPDined on 8/17/2014Being foodies, my wife, daughter, and I had to try some Iron Chef food on our recent Maui vacation. Wife and I had the Chef's menu while my daughter had a sushi roll and, thanks to the flexibility of the staff, also had the oyster course of our Chef's menu. The fish courses (Tuna Tartare, Amberjack sashimi, and sushi) are incredible. The shift to savory courses were also great and ended with an entree of octopus, waygu beef, and pork belly. We did the wine pairing which was good but not sure it was worth it. A bottle of good sake would have been just as good. I'd love to return to explore the menu more and try the saiman, more sushi, and other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingQuadJVIPDined on 8/15/2014Amazing food and presentation ask for Dustin to be your server and you won't be dissappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sushi the best in WaileaAmazingDined on 8/14/2014The best sushi I have ever had in the US. Romantic - excellent atmosphere, very good staff William was our waiter and Ashley the hostess provided the best table option ever. I am extremely picky and the restaurant was by fare one of my favourite dinning experiences ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morimoto First Real DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/7/2014Having experienced Morimoto's restaurants in New York, Philadelphia and Honolulu, I have to say that the Maui experience was particularly disappointing. Although food meet the Morimoto standards, the restaurant has no (or very limited) interior design. As such you get a pretty good dinner in a disappointing design with fairly high prices.
- Great sushiBenrDined on 8/5/2014We only did sushi this time but it was the best I have had in a while. Would defiantly go againSpecial Features:
- Affordable Fine DiningTranDined on 8/3/2014Magnificent tastes with tastefully artful dishes. The food was fantastic. My only worry was that it was a bit too hot inside the restaurant. It made me a little uncomfortable but I can see that the restaurant is set up to take care of that issue. Definitely worth it. Surprisingly not enough advertisements on the island yet so it is definitely a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ono FoodMeSoHungryDined on 8/1/2014If I had to recommend one plate, it would be the Ishiyaki. I love Hamachi. They heat a clay bowl to about 400 degrees. The bowl makes the steamed rice crispy and when the server brings the dish to your table they prepare it by placing the Hamachi on the sides of the bowl allowing it to cook. It's a very tastey dish.Special Features:
- Does not disappointBethSVIPDined on 8/1/2014Love Morimoto's food, style, class of service. Always new and innovative. And so tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High qualitylocalflairDined on 7/29/2014Food was excellent. A little pricey, but we expected that. Service was excellent and food exceeding our expectations. The black cod was amazing!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceFoodieVIPDined on 7/28/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary and my son's bday and his graduation on this evening. The hostesses gave us THE best table outside. The food was spectacular and all our servers were beyond warm and friendly. We have eaten at Morimoto NY and Philadelphia and this Maui restaurant met all our expectations. It was a wonderfully perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLexieAnn10VIPDined on 7/26/2014Fantastic. Everything we ordered, we loved. Beef carpaccio & gyoza really stood out as two exceptional dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicePferazziVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great service Delicious food Incredible views In spite of the higher price point, people do bring their young children. Most often they are well behaved, but then there are times when they aren't ;). Luckily for us, the top tier service team here was quick to get us a table outside. Mahalo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morimoto, MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014We dined at this restaurant 2 days during this week. Food was excellent both times but service was not as good second time as the first time. I would go again though...:-)Special Features:
- Great Views!PJD1Dined on 7/18/2014A welcome addition to the handful of great restaurants in Wailea. A fairly extensive menu (and wine list). My wife and I each ordered the greens salad and our waiter helpfully suggested that we split one (which was huge). Delicious, delicate greens with a light refreshing dressing. We both had the Snapper (which was Onaga) entrée which was absolutely delicious. As good as fish gets!!! Great setting (if you get an outdoor table) with beautiful ocean views. This is one of our new favorite restaurants in Wailea.Special Features:
- Iron Chef is now on MauiausYUVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had the Omakase menu and it was excellent. We tried many things we would not have ordered, and it included an amazing dish with oysters topped with Uni and foi gras on one side (it's on the menu) and a foi gras chawanmushi on the other side that was DIVINE and not on the regularly menu. It's a bit pricey at $140 each, but worth doing once.Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsLuv2eatDined on 7/14/2014The location is beautiful in the Andaz hotel with great outdoor seating (beautiful view of the ocean) although we chose to be cool inside. Our service was excellent. The food was amazing! We felt the price to be reasonable for the quality of the good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Omakase experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2014Had second time now the Omakase and it was even better than the first one. Excellent service , thank you Joshua! Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do the tasting menufransapVIPDined on 7/13/2014We did the tasting menu and it made for an amazing experience. The menu is overwhelming and being able to try the chef' starting menu was an excellent way to sample the chef's cuisine. The staff was great.Special Features:
- Simply stunningFoodLovingFamilyVIPDined on 7/10/2014Breathtaking views from the moment you enter the Andaz lobby. Made our way down to Morimoto Maui, which we'd been looking forward to for many months. Stunning views, try for a reservation around sunset. Our kids had no problem with finding things on the menu, gyoza with bacon foam was a hit! They even ate a good amount of the beautiful hamachi appetizer we thought we'd have to ourselves. My husband's chirashi and my braised cod were beautiful to look at and masterfully prepared. Dessert of fresh malasadas and trio of dipping sauces. Our server, Dustin, was knowledgeable, friendly and took excellent care of us. We hope to return before too long and would most definitely recommend the experience to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantPJD1Dined on 7/8/2014Great ambiance, great food (very complex preparations), great service and wine list. Ate there 3 times within 1 week of finding out about this restaurant. One of two excellent restaurants in the new Andaz Resort in Wailea. Ate at the sushi bar one time. Great experience watching the bustling kitchen. Very entertaining!!! This restaurant is one of the best and our new favorites in the Wailea area along with Ka'Ana Kitchen (also in Andaz), Spago at the Fours Seasons and Capische (in the Hotel Wailea).Special Features:
- Hands down the bestGrapesVIPDined on 7/6/2014Simply wonderful! I'd recommend Morimotos of Maui to everyone and I'll be back to experience it all over! Morimoto preparations are beautiful for the eye and tummy! The only thing better would be meeting Chef Morimoto himself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Stars to Mormimoto MauiJohnDined on 7/6/2014We've had the pleasure of dining at Morimoto's in Napa, CA and had high expectations for the Maui location. These expectations were exceeded on so many levels. The views at sunset were incredibly romantic, the service impeccable , and the food seemed to get better with each course. We highly recommend the Spicy Crab appetizer, and the sashimi is on par with any you would find in the fresh fish markets of Tokyo.Special Features:
- monalisaMonalisaVIPDined on 7/2/2014sushi was unbelievable! must have the rock shrimp app. you cant go wrong with anything. angry chicken was being plated constantly. wish i had more room in my appetite to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation.. Why botherOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2014A friend and I went to Morimotoa for an early dinner while on vacation and loved it. Great service, wait staff were attentive & knowledgable without being overbearing. We liked it enough that we decided to go back again to try more of the menu. This time we made reservations @ 8 pm. Upon arrival & checking in we were told it would be at least a 45 minute wait. "But we have reservations at 8" I said to which the hostess replies yes but we are backed up. We looked around & saw 7 open tables so we asked about the delay again & was told the empty tables were for those with 7:30 reservations they just hadn't had time to seat yet. We decided to go elsewhere for dinner, and the hostess seemed relieved instead of trying to figure something out.Special Features: