161 Wailea Ike Place
Wailea, HI 96753Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matteosmaui.com/
- Phone: 8088918466x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: Matteo Mistura
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from MATTEO'S OSTERIA
At Matteo's Osteria we are the hosts of a authentic Italian experience. A restaurant and wine bar, we invite you to savor our healthy, locally-sourced homemade cucina italiana and explore our 100+ Wines. We have the largest Wine by the glass selection on Maui. Filled with family stories, anecdotes of local specialties, days spent on Italian vineyards with generations of winemakers & many a wine class later, Gianna & Matteo are thrilled to welcome you to Maui’s first Italian Osteria & Wine Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
MATTEO'S OSTERIA - Best Restaurants in Wailea ›
MATTEO'S OSTERIA reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (78)great for outdoor dining (56)fit for foodies (54)neighborhood gem (52)romantic (33)special occasion (30)great for lunch (25)kid-friendly (23)good for groups (19)late-night find (11)scenic view (8)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (5)great for brunch (1)Show More
- I love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014I have been here multiple times recently and I love it!! The service, FOOD, italian touches everywhere. Love matteosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun EveningMauiRoseDined on 9/17/2014We can always count on Matteo's Osteria for scrumptious food. Excellent and attentive service is also a hallmark of this fine restaurant. Be sure to ask for wine suggestions since the wine list is vast and inviting and you wouldn't want to miss an Italian gem on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lunch on MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014I am so happy I got recommended this place. The lunch deal there is awesome . I had a huge zucca salad with maybe my favorite pizza EVER, the ligurien. It had shrimp and pesto and so Ono ahhh!! It came with a choice if wines also which was equally perfect for $21 total. I am probably going to go back tomorrow. The server Frank I had was great also, seemed to really be happy being there. The manager Sean came by to check on us and he was equally great and talked with us about the island. They said they wanted us to feel at home even though we were not in our home, and I did. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Air ConditionermauigirlVIPDined on 9/14/2014The "fair" overall rating relates to the unbearable dining room where there is no air conditioning. This is absurd for Hawaii, where the summer temperatures and humidity are very high. Our party sat at our table trying our best to enjoy our dinner but it was so hot that it was impossible to do so. Overall, the food is good as well as the service. But I couldn't recommend Matteo's unless they come to their senses and provide their diners with a comfortable dining experience. It's a pity that they won't do anything at all about this since it's been a problem for a while.
- Very goodScottVIPDined on 9/12/2014Overall we were very pleased eith the food. We eat a lot of italuan in NYC and the pasta and meatballs here was just as good as anything in NYC. The portions were good sized. The food was significantly better than ferraro's at the four seasons and half the price. If your looking for good italian than matteo's is the place to goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for pizzaLaurelVIPDined on 9/11/2014Nice options for a light dinner. Really liked the pizza crust and service was good. Didn't try any of the pasta but a good selection on the menu.Special Features:
- Nice first experiencemauiguyDined on 9/10/2014Food was terrific and reasonably priced. For the quality, I would rate it as being an excellent value. Excellent wine list with a large variety of wines by the glass including 3 oz. tasters. These weren't inexpensive, but will give you the opportunity to arrive at finding ideal pairings for your meal, and not just 1 course either. The menu is traditional Italian bistro with insalada, antipasta, first and second course layouts. Antipasta portions sizes allow 2 people to share. I recommend ordering several to really sample the menu. Salad portion sizes were very good. The staff was friendly and flexible when tailoring your meals with substitutions to meet your dietary needs. We enjoyed it and definitely plan to go back.Special Features:
- Imaginative menu special wine listBigdog782VIPDined on 9/6/2014Very talented kitchen. However they sent the main course on top of the appetizers. Also hot our special request wrong. The plates tend to be small so you may need to order more than you normally would expect to. Excellent wine list at reasonable prices. Located in an out of the way strip center parking lot with no Air Conditioning. Dining outside looking at everyone's cars is not what one expects in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodalkoiv24VIPDined on 9/4/2014The food was excellent when we were looking for something that wasn't super expensive in Wailea and also not the traditional Hawaiian fare. Service was so-so but not bad. There is no view but the outdoor patio was nice.Special Features:
- Worst of our dinnersfoodhappyDined on 9/4/2014This place has a high rating on Tripadvisor but we did not find it that good, maybe it was what we had to eat. But we had spaghetti and if an Italian restaurant can't make good spaghetti that says something. Of our 10 day stay and dinning at 10 restaurants in the Wailea area of Maui this was our worst meal.
- a little disappointedJazzDined on 9/4/20144 adults dined at Matteo's on a Thursday evening. Great atmosphere and not busy. Our waitperson very knowledgeable and excited about the evening specials as well as the wine. Recommendations were correct. Then things went downhill a little. Our entrees arrived before the appetizers which were the evening special. We explained this to the servers who were insistent that they place our entrees on the table. Then they ran off. By the time we were able to get the attention of our waitperson, the servers were back with the appetizers which they also insisted they be placed on the table. The appetizers were overcooked. Entrees and dessert presented beautifully and wonderful complex flavors as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/4/2014A nice surprise. My husband and I went for lunch and loved it. Great food & lovely restaurant. Will definitely return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner1Dined on 9/2/2014We had a fabulous dinner. Appetizers and entrees great and the waiter provided very good wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceGeowDined on 9/1/2014Recommended by valet at andaz great food and Pricing wine tasting list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!SpotDined on 8/29/2014It is always nice to find a restaurant in a resort area that is not a tourist trap. Matteo's is a restaurant that we would go to often if we lived here. Marianna welcomed us with open arms. Her passion for the restaurant was very obvious. Our meals were perfect! Portions, temperature, presentation, taste......all good! Atmosphere was comfortable and lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualjkaponosDined on 8/29/2014I love Mateo's!!!!!! I think the location, hidden away in The Wailea Town Center, is just what S. Maui needed . Its great for locals but serious foodies always know how to find a good spot. Mateo's offers excellent food at a reasonable price. They have done a great job with the build out of the restaurant it feels intimate and luxurious. There a more than enough Italian restaurants in Wailea, don't waste your time on the others. Mateo's is a sure thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Italian foodCharleysDined on 8/27/2014We liked our meal. We had the spaghetti and meatballs, pasta with lamb ragu, meatball appetizer, Caesar salad and garlic bread. Everything was cooked perfectly. We sat outside which did not have a view but had a nice breeze. We would recommend.Special Features:
- Go for the MistoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014Matteo's is a very enjoyable and affordable restaurant alternative in a luxury resort setting. It has a nice outdoor ambiance and a great wine list. The Misto antipastini was a killer ap. Save some room for the teramisu. As we say in Hawaii, both are "broke da mouth" outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence is expected here808JimDined on 8/22/2014Matteo's is simply superb - every time. The staff is friendly and competent. The food is fantastic. This isn't a red sauce restaurant though there are some dishes that feature it. This is a modern Italian restaurant with the type of food you will find in better restaurants in Italy. The chef is from Liguria and was brought to Maui by the Four Seasons for whom he also worked in Philadelphia. He runs the back of the house while his charming wife, GG , and her good friend Mariana run the front. It is my favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Good FoodLeseleeDined on 8/22/2014Our visit to Matteos was mixed. We had a reservation and were originally seated at a table that for some reason the heat from the pizza oven was blasting on us. When we asked to either move outside or to another table Sean told us that they were all reserved and unavailable. We began to leave and the waitress suggested we sit at a high top in the bar area. That table was find and the food was great. The mood was ruined and we did not stay for desert. Both the dining room and outside tables never filled up and we left the restaurant after 7:30. Even though we enjoyed our meals I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014We'll presented food with flavours to match, enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the Best!LaDolceVitaDined on 8/21/2014Recently we had a delicious lunch with excellent service at Matteo's Osteria. The fish sandwich is always delicious and this time we tried the Zucca salad which was so beautiful and delicious. The spritzers are really tasty and refreshing I would high recommend ordering one. For dessert the Affogato is amazing! We also had the Raw Super Food Chocolate Mousse which was creamy and light.Special Features:
- fantastic!LindsayVIPDined on 8/18/2014My husband and I were looking for great italian food while visiting Maui and boy did we find it!!! The brick oven pizza was one of the best I've ever had (and I am from NY so I know good pizza). The homemade pastas were delicious. The apple tart for dessert was the perfect ending. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will definetly tell our friends to visit this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sp4MendyDined on 8/18/2014We enjoyed our dinner. We sat outside. However, unlike outdoor restaurants at the Four Seasons, e.g., the absence of ceiling fans in the outdoor dining area + no trade winds (perhaps because of the location) made dinner more of a sweat box. Similarly, inside, there were fans but no air conditioning, and with an open kitchen, it would have been even more uncomfortable inside. Too bad, because the food was very good, as was the service. Not sure if we will go back again next year.Special Features:
- food was very flavorfulFoodiesGirlsDined on 8/17/2014We had one of the best Italian meals there. Food was outstanding. Every item we ordered had so much flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local venue in WaileaBoza2211Dined on 8/16/2014We read some good reviews about Matteo's and it did not disappoint. We dined quite late (near to closing) but never felt rushed. We were seated on high tables and served by the sommelier who took good care of us! We had good rustic Italian pizzas, portions are a little small and smallish pizzas were oval shaped but well made. The wine list was huge with lots of imported as well as US wines to choose from at reasonable prices. We would recommend this to anyone and we would go again. Grazie Matteo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pasta!FoodisGoodVIPDined on 8/10/2014My picky-eater 9 year old dubbed Matteo's "The best pasta place ever!" We made an 8pm reservation but showed up at 7pm because we were hungry and could not wait. The hostess greeted us by opening the door when we came in (and again when we left) and seated us right away. The restaurant has great wine options and a nice atmosphere. The Caprese salad was delicious and the meatball appetizer was yummy. Even though they did not have a Keiki (children) menu, they made my son a spaghetti and butter pasta dish that he thoroughly enjoyed. Food and service was so good that we went back the next night! Matteo's has delicious Italian cuisine and they also offer several gluten-free items too. We'll be back!Special Features:
- ddljrDined on 8/10/2014An excellent restaurant. The food is not only well prepared but it is different from the standard Wailea offerings. We have also had the pizzas as take out and they are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chow bellajimmoretDined on 8/2/2014The food was simply excellent. Italian cuisine at it's finest. The meal was not inexpensive but not outrageous either. I found it to be superior taste, quality, ambience for a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattyCake2Dined on 8/1/2014We live here in Wailea & thought Mateo's had closed. We had been going there for a fun time with the grand kids & discovered we loved the verity of pizza's you could get there.So I was so surprised to find it had opened in December in a different location. We went a few nights later and had a wonderful experience. The whole evening was delightful. We will most certainly make it one of our first priorities for an evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous authentic italian in Maui!FjellygirlVIPDined on 7/30/2014We had a wonderful meal and outstanding service from our waiter Mike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only issueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Need to air condition inside of restaurant. Everything else was outstanding
- Beautiful setting, good food1212ewrDined on 7/24/2014What a gorgeous place to eat at sunset! Attentive service, great ambiance. The only disappointment was the grilled vegetable entree. It was generous, and the presentation was attractive. However, the flavors didn't "play" with each other very well, and it was kind of boring. The other food was very good, and we had a great time out.Special Features:
- great pizza and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014The food is quite tasty but don't expect the hostess to treat your reservation any differently than the walk ins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something's missingIowafoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2014The food was strictly average and we had probably the most in attentive waiter I have ever experienced at a restaurant. Long wait for a salad and then two minutes later our entrees arrived. We were halfway through the entrees when he brought our bottle of wine. Did not stay for dessert. Bright spot is a very good Italian wine list by the glass or bottle.Special Features:
- Best Italian restaurant in MauiMarioJMDined on 7/17/2014We went to many Italian restaurants in Maui. This is the best. Real Italian food.Special Features:
- Delicious!GolfnFoodDined on 7/16/2014My wife and I were in the mood for Italian, we do a search of too reataurants in Wailea and Matteo's show up. After reading the reviews, we decided to give it a try. Hands down the best Italian food on the island! We liked it so much we went back the next night and took some pizzas to go. Matteo himself in the kitchen both nights-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must try!brettanddawnVIPDined on 7/16/2014We received the recommendation to try Matteo's from a local and boy did it live up to the hype! Food was some of the best Italian we've had anywhere, wine list was fantastic, service and staff were exceptional, the the outdoor dining area was great! The only bummer is that from the outdoor area you only have a partial ocean view, but for us, it didn't matter based on the exceptional meal and experience we had. This is now one of our favorite Maui restaurants and we will be going back for sure.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood eateryMarieAntoinetteDined on 7/16/2014Nice focaccia bread. The tuna and swordfish entrees were very nice. Kids can get plain pasta, pasta with meatballs or bolognese sauce. Good wine selection. Very reasonable prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall 4 StarsMatthewGDined on 7/14/2014The food was great. Had the bruschetta as the appetizer. Very authentic Italian. I had their fish special, which was also unique and tasty. The only downside was having to wait for the check. It seemed to take 10-15 minutes to process the transaction, something that usually should take less than 5 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.