161 Wailea Ike Place
Wailea, HI 96753Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.matteosmaui.com/
- Phone: (808) 891-8466
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: Matteo Mistura
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from MATTEO'S OSTERIA
At Matteo's Osteria we are the hosts of a authentic Italian experience. A restaurant and wine bar, we invite you to savor our healthy, locally-sourced homemade cucina italiana and explore our 100+ Wines. We have the largest Wine by the glass selection on Maui. Filled with family stories, anecdotes of local specialties, days spent on Italian vineyards with generations of winemakers & many a wine class later, Gianna & Matteo are thrilled to welcome you to Maui’s first Italian Osteria & Wine Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
MATTEO'S OSTERIA - Best Restaurants in Wailea ›
MATTEO'S OSTERIA reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)notable wine list (75)neighborhood gem (62)great for outdoor dining (59)special occasion (38)romantic (31)good for groups (29)great for lunch (25)kid-friendly (18)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (8)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- Very good food, terrible waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2014My wife and daughter visited matteo's on 11/17 and thought the food was excellent, some of the best gnocchi and bolognaise I have ever had. The concierge was excellent and in general the staff seemed very pleasant. Unfortunately we were served by a terrible waiter. He was condesending and not attentive at all, seemed to be more interested in some friends at another table. He got the bill wrong and another server had to fix it because he had disappeared somwhere again. I gave the review 3 stars overall because I feel our experience is probably not typical, not sure. I don't usually write reviews but this guy was really terrible with us a spoiled an otherwise good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll definitely be back!ShaneRobinsonDined on 11/17/2014Heard lots about Matteo's from trusted friends and we were not disappointed! They are so busy and people love the food so much that they tend to linger. Even though we had reservations, we still had to wait 25 minutes past our reservation time of 7:30. And actually we noticed it thinned out about 8:30 so it may be better to dine later (which isn't what people tend to do on Maui.) Service was awesome and friendly. Drinks were strong and delish. Lasagne was incredible as was the bread...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Fav Restaurant! Gluten free - No Problem!!WaileaLocalsDined on 11/12/2014Do you ever wonder if restaurants pay any attention to diner requests on Open Table? After mentioning in the Open Table comment section about having a severe gluten allergy, what a wonderful surprise to be told upon arrival that they had prepared a special (seriously, a single portion) Gluten Free gnocchi that afternoon! I felt so cared for, and it made my night. We were seated outdoors where conversation was easy, and all four of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Another highlight was the beet and fig salad. Our server, Jenny was charming and competent. Matteo's really is a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza, aloha serviceBayRowerDined on 11/9/2014We were looking for something simple, having feared lavishly for 4 days of wedding events. This is obviously THE pizza spot in Wailed, and it fit the bill perfectly. The wine list is impressive with a multitude of selections by the glass, including a terrific Montepulciano d'Abruzzo which I can recommend. The pizzette (individual-sized ovals) are just right for one and come in a nice selection of toppings. I chose the Liguria with local shrimp and a yummy pesto. Others chose the upcountry with a nicely spicy sausage and mushrooms. The crust is crispy and tasty, and the cheese doesn't bog it down. We split the Osteria salad with its gorgonzola salad, and our friends split the Caesar, which was an ample portion. Service was friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise find!eneemeenemineemoDined on 11/9/2014This is a fantastic spot and very reasonably priced. Great variety of unique entrees which is refreshing for the island. Lots of free parking as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service makes this place bearableJohnVIPDined on 11/7/2014It's hard to right a poor review about a place where everyone there obviously works very hard and takes pride in what they do. Service was great from the hostess to the sommelier to the servers. Plus, it has an open kitchen and it's evident the staff is well-trained. What makes this place a disappointment is the quality of the food. I've had better meals at Macaroni Grill (and I'm not a fan of Macaroni Grill). Fabiani's nearby is half the price, the service is just as good.
- Favorite Local Fine DiningMauiRoseDined on 11/7/2014I live on Maui and I'm not fond of eating just anywhere. But, I so love going to Matteo's Osteria. Their staff is well versed in how to treat the guests; the wine list and the staff's expertise about wine are amazing. We always enjoy taking visiting guests to Matteo's because of the attention to detail. I had the rib eye medallions and they were delicious with the cheese-infused mashed potatoes. The chef could forget laying the potatoes in the sauce. It was delicious but too soupy for me. Everyone else just oohed and ahed over the yummy food.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and ServicecjjmauiDined on 11/7/2014Had the Special of the day, which was Lamb-Shank.. was fantastic!! Very friendly service.Special Features:
- Noise levelRocofoDined on 11/4/2014There was a large party that was extremely loud the waiter came back several times to confirm our order because of the loudness of the party in the restaurant, he even made a comment about the noise level ... I would suggest for parties greater than 6 they should be placed outside ... Not sure if we will return as it was our first time and not very impressed!!! HmmmmSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Great food and great happy hour! For sure, we'll go back;)Special Features:
- Great place, nice stafftraveldinerVIPDined on 11/1/2014Nice place in Wailea that is a little more relaxed than some other places in Wailea. Food is pretty close to Italian food in Italy and you can tell everyone at restaurant is putting a lot of effort into the experience for the diners.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/1/2014The noise level is equivalent to siitting next to a runway. It hurt our ears. Equally bad inside or outside. Take ear plugs or go somewhere else. Most of the customers were in their 70s and that explains the noise level - they are all deaf or hard of hearing. Not a place for children. Food is outstanding - best bet is to get the food to go and enjoy it in a quiet place. Noisest restaourant ever and the management doesn't seem to c
- Matteo's Does it Again808JimVIPDined on 11/1/2014Despite the absence of Matteo, who was cooking at a charity function, last Saturday's evening at the Osteria was terrific. Great drinks at the bar and a private table on the terrace were perfect. We arrived at 7 and didn't leave until 10. Food was sublime. A wonderful appetizer that was almost a play on soup and sandwich I had lamb ragu on papparedelle which is a favorite dish. Everyone had a wonderful time and can hardly wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatSaraDined on 11/1/2014If your on Maui you will be impressed Great food and worth the stopSpecial Features:
- WaileagirlDined on 10/30/2014Matteos is a favourite that never fails. good menu and nice vibe.Special Features:
- authenticJmackVIPDined on 10/30/2014Excellent meal from start to finish. lasagna was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed ItalianLuvItalianDined on 10/29/2014I was expecting more of an Italian atmosphere, I found the restaurant to be typical touristy: rushed service, a little noisy (we sat inside). They do have a nice wine by the glass selection, the just weren't successful in serving our wine selections with the courses. The wait staff was very nice. The Caesar salad was disappointing, I personally like a bold house made dressing with fresh saved Parmesan, the house dressing was a little lacking in flavor. My husband had the fish special and the fish was cooked perfectly. I had the papparadelle w/lamb (fresh pasta) and that was the highlight of the evening, it was absolutely delicious. Their spin on tiramisu was also yummy.Special Features:
- Amazing dining experienceRoseVIPDined on 10/28/2014Fabulous food at Matteo's. Amazing preparation and selection. Had eaten at Mama's Fish House the day before, and had even better fish at Matteo's.Special Features:
- Loud and noisy. Screaming kids.Livetoshop101Dined on 10/25/2014We told the manager it was my wife's BIG birthday and we chose Matteo's to celebrate it. At first he gave us a table right at the front door . No privacy and extremely Loud! So we opted to wait 15 minutes to be seated on the patio. That was many decibels lower . Our waitress was Jenny from NJ. She was very bubbly and helpful. The meal was just fine! I had the pumpkin ravioli which was excellent Nd my spouse had the fish monchong which was also excellent. The risotto cake was bland and nothing to write home about. The spinach salad was great! All in all the food was very good but what surprised and disappointed was no mention of her birthday-no candle -no HB until we left . The mgr came over to us and said Happy Birthday. That's it! Duh?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KiheiGirlVIPDined on 10/24/2014I will begin by admitting we had lunch at Mama's Fish House before eating dinner here. I know you can't compare any restaurant to Mama's because it's so special so I may give Matteo's a try again some other time but I would not recommend them for a special occasion. The inside seating was very hot (no a/c?) and the patio dining where we ended up felt like we were eating on a parking lot. No atmosphere at all and the fussy baby at the next table didn't help (I love babies but not when trying to enjoy an intimate dinner). The food was just OK. Nothing special but the prices were fair.
- Gluten Free OptionseatingglutenfreeDined on 10/24/2014The server was very knowledgeable about the wine selections and the menu. We were glad to see a number of gluten free options on the menu. I selected a pizza made with gluten-free dough and it was thin and crispy, just the way I like it. My wife selected the sirloin with mashed and veggies and thoroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find above Wailea.SnowgirlVIPDined on 10/22/2014This restaurant has been in its present site for only 10 months and is attracting diners from the posh hotels nearby. The selecction of wines is great, and there are so many by the glass because of their new system for keeping open bottles fresh. The arugula pasta with arabiatta sauce and shrimp was one of the best I've ever had. Perfectly al dente and tasty. Everyone from the greeters to the wait staff were friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. Chef Matteo himself brought the dishes to the table, and his wife chatted with us for some time. Charming people, great place. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceScudmanDined on 10/17/2014Had a wonderful experience for dinner which included 2 starters and pumpkin ravioli and spaghetti with red meat sauce. Excellent on all accounts but the tirimisu was exceptional. Do order it. Wine list by the glass is 2nd to none. Our waitress Sade was bang on everything and a real asset to the restaurant. Will come back for sure..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalChuckVIPDined on 10/16/2014Our second visit this week says a lot. Food quality was very high and served promptly. Server remembered us rom our previous visit including our likes and dislikes. As a one wine glass drinker, he provided an excellent selection that I never would have chosen. This is probably the best restaurant on Maui and shouldn't be missed. Talked to a lot of people at the Fairmont for food ideas and they universally suggest Matteo's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!21forthewinVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great spaghetti bolognese and chicken saltimobocca with half price wine special! Thoroughly enjoyed all of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyVIPDined on 10/15/2014We love your happy hour and order everything on the pupu menu. Love the restaurant. Everything is delicious, Shall return soon.Special Features:
- Delicious & many wine optionsGstargenDined on 10/13/2014Casual atmosphere, outdoor seating options & incredible meal. There are many options on the menu & 65 wines available by the glass! We had a carbonara pizza (amazing), one of the salads with endive, pumpkin ravioli (absolutely amazing!!), a tuna pasta special & a dessert. Great for couples as well as groups & families. Our waitress was top quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDEDOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I found a favorite restaurant, finally! I heard great things about the wine bar and dining experience from others and had to try. Did a date night and we LOVED it. Russell was very informative and helpful. Fettucine was excellent and Gnochi was so good I had to take the few bites left home. It tasted even better the next day. The Vanilla Gelato and Canoli desserts were yummy...we finished it! Will definitely go back to try other dishes. Affordable and worth every dollar.Special Features:
- TastyCastleWeddingDined on 10/7/2014Great food and good service. The bartender was really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome!chowstalkerDined on 10/6/2014A fantastic dining experience from beginning to end. Friendly and welcoming staff with vast knowledge of the menu and how each dish is prepared. Great wine list with extremely reasonable bottle prices and if you don't know which wine to choose just ask Charlie the sommelier. A must if you're in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014I had Cioppino and the flavor was excellent but I thought the main ingredients were skimpy. It had 6 mussels 2 shrimp and I could not find any fish. If it had had 3 shrimp and 4 oz of fish and 6 mussels it would have been much better and more value. The potatoes were fine
- The service was the worstEatOutLotsVIPDined on 9/30/2014They screwed up my drink order AND my food order. Very arrogant. Go anywhere else.
- EnjoyableOccasionalreviewerDined on 9/27/2014The atmosphere was relaxed and informal. The restaurant wa s comfortable. We sat inside and the ac was not too fierce. The staff was charming and responsive. Most important the food was very good and not overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was amazing!HotTamale1484Dined on 9/26/2014Lunch was great! we split the superfood burger and the bolognese, both were recommended and great!Special Features:
- You won't be sorryLindamademeDined on 9/25/2014Out of the way but worth the effort to find. Cosy, friendly, and great service. Impressive wine list, but the food is the star here. Reminded us of eating in Italy. Don't miss the turkey meatball appetizer, and the slow cooked braised lamb with pappardelle was one of the best pasta dishes I have ever had. This is our new go-to Italian in south Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Fantastic service especially from Sean. Great food and overall experience. Will dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Great find in wailea great food service and ambience awesome bar very comfy place to dine atSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014We arrived at 6:45 and asked if there was availability. The hostess stated no but we could be seated in the bar (there were about 5-6 tables open in the main dining room). We ordered our drinks from the bartender and watched as he guarded 6 seats at the bar, explaining to people that they were reserved. We decided to login to the open table app to see if we could make a reservation. Voila!...there was a table @ 7:30, 7:45, etc. (It was 7:00pm and we had only been seated for 15min at this point) At 7:30 I approached the hostess to ask if we could be seated for our reservation. She got angry and explained that there were others w/ res @ 730 that Had to wait too. She told me that she didn't have time to deal w/ me and needed to get back.Special Features:
- MAUI STYLE!winethirtyDined on 9/20/2014Excellent place! The atmosphere is great and the food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014NO A/C Very Hot!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!