111 N. Harbor Blvd
Fullerton, CA 92832Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thematador.com/
- Phone: 7148718226
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11am-2pm, Dinner: Monday-Sunday, 5pm-11pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 9am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: David Dennis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full catering menu available.
- Entertainment: Live entertainment featured nightly
A word from Matador Cantina
Located in the heart of Historic Downtown Fullerton, the Matador Cantina offers a fresh fusion of traditional and contemporary Mexican-inspired cuisine, as well as a full bar with premium tequilas and signature Margaritas. In addition to fresh house-made sangria, the Matador also features a boutique selection of Spanish, Californian, and South American wines. Guests may dine in cozy leather booths and traditional high-top seating in the main bar/dining area, or in the lounge with wraparound leather banquette, lounge tables and cushion ottomans. Exposed historic brick walls, hand-made wrought iron chandeliers, and an impressive candle-lit wall creates a warm and decidedly intimate ambiance. Original oil-on-canvas paintings and a magnificent iron bullhead statuette further hint to the space’s extraordinary décor. Ample and convenient parking located at the rear of the restaurant off Commonwealth Avenue. Open for Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, and late night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matador Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)special occasion (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Sunday BruncherinDined on 5/4/2014Made reservations last minute for 1:30pm on a Sunday. This place was packed but with my reservation, we got a prime booth near the bar in front of the TVs. The food it pretty good- I had a wet carne asada burrito that was massive. The bf had the steak and eggs. The steak was a bit overcooked but still flavorful. We also got a pitcher of the "manmosa" which is Blue Moon + orange flavored vodka. So good!!!Special Features:
- a new favoriteSeeYaDined on 4/27/2014This restaurant will be one of our new favorites. Apparently it was voted best Mexican food in Fullerton(?) And I would agree. Food for Sunday brunch was very good. The chilaquiles were one of the best...and a huge portion, the French toast was fabulous, omelette was good but routine. Service was very efficient but not friendly, certainly acceptable for a busy time (I'll take efficient any day!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great momentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2014Just god food hot perty and delicious nice ser vice and TVE best mojitos e ver drink..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/14/2014We're not from LA, but were hoping to find some good mexican food while we were out here on vacation. We visited some other Mexican places recommended by friends in the area, and this place was better than all of them. Not the best mexican food I've had, but definitely up there. Plus, we were able to watch the baseball game while we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome musicOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014While this place is great for appetizers and drinks, a plus is that it closes until 2:00 AM and the DJ does a great job mixing up today's and yesterdays top-hit music. I would come back to this place.Special Features:
- reservation not helpfulIcybreezeVIPDined on 4/11/2014I was in the area, so looked on Open Table for places with openings nearby. This place had good reviews and an opening about 45 minutes out, so I made a reservation. When we got there, the hostess was snippy about it being "short notice" and said we couldn't have a table - only bar seating (small high top with stools... not at all comfortable). Service from the waitress was good - she was really nice. Food was fine. Everything tasted good, but wasn't anything remarkable. I had cheese enchiladas, which had a really good sauce. The beans and rice I didn't much care for. We also got the croissant churros, which were interesting. A little on the greasy side, but not bad.
- Good food, poor serviceHighlandMommyVIPDined on 3/7/2014Good menu with a lot of options. Portion sizes were not too large for Mexican food. Flavors were great. It was very loud. Hard to talk and hear in our group of four. Service was excruciatingly slow. It was about ten minutes before our server took our drink order and they took a long time to come. Once they did it was another 15 minutes for food order. Our drinks sat empty, we didn't get water refills. I don't know if they were understaffed for a Friday night but when you have to constantly look for and flag down your server it makes for a pretty lackluster dining experience. We'll try another restaurant in the area next time.Special Features:
- Great food as usualDisappointedDined on 2/24/2014Matador is now my favorite Mexican restaurant. The food is great and the Margaritas are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican food in the OCOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014Pretty darn good food. Killer margaritas. We got a free dessert because it was our first visit which was a welcomed surprise to end the meal. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and Excellent foodDisappointedDined on 2/14/2014We went to Matador for Valentine's we really enjoyed the food and the service. The waiter was very attentive. The margaritas we ordered were also very good. I would definitely come back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Around Oustanding RestaurantsocalmtbriderDined on 2/14/2014From the first impression given by the hostess to when we were leaving, everything about the service and delicious food was fantastic! Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming! The ambiance was wonderful too! The carne asada and chicken tasted so fresh and had great flavor! I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice place at a great price to eat in Downtown Fullerton!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Brunch Hit!FoodLoverDined on 2/8/2014Found this place using Google ( bottomless mimosas) and was not disappointed! Our server Erica was very helpful, nice, and kept the mimosas topped off. Fantastic service! I just think the music was a tad bit too loud... Just a tad for an early Saturday. The noise level would not deter me from coming back, in fact, it's one of my go to places now for brunch :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchSmallsDined on 1/12/2014I came here with a friend for brunch on a Sunday. We were drawn in by the botomless mimosas and the fact that they were only $12, notably cheaper than some other similar offers in the area. We didn't read any reviews before hand so we didn't really have any expectations but we ended up loving it! The food was great, filling, moderately priced, and came out pretty quickly after we ordered. Our waitress waisted no time getting us started on our mimosas and she checked on us very frequently. She made sure our glasses were always full and tended to fill them more with champagne than with orange juice. Overall, a great brunch experience and I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco TuesdayRichDined on 1/7/2014Awesome spot, taco Tuesday a must! Ally and Stacey were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take the bull by the horns!EricDined on 12/22/2013The Matador is a great local restaurant in Downtown Fullerton. They serve up gourmet Mexican food and exotic cocktails. Recommend trying the Jalapeño Margarita! Never have had anything on the food menu that I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodsdm75Dined on 12/8/2013I haven't seen my friends for months, this was a good spot to meet up. The staff was friendly and attentive. I got a confirmation call the day before which was a good reminder for me. The day of our brunch I was 30 minutes early they still accommodated me with a table. I highly recommend the wet burrito and i tasted their french toast...to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placemari84Dined on 11/1/2013i love this place i have gone twice and would Definitely go back as well as recommend it to others.. They have great food drinks resonable prices and their service is out standing...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodMannyDined on 9/21/2013The buffalo wings were sooo different but sooo good..never tried them anywhere else like matadors..great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chilaquiles were the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2013Chilaquiles were the best I've had. The french toast is fabulous as well. This was the first time I've had brunch there and I'm already planning my next brunch there. Typically I go for Taco Tuesday - and I recommend the lobster, shrimp, and calamari tacos, because they come with a tasty chipotle mayo. Also, I really like the ambience of the place, with the brick walls and the setup of the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super fabuloso!ExValleyGrrrlllDined on 8/23/2013This was my first time at Matador Cantina and I was very impressed! The restaurant is beautiful and has great atmosphere. Our server was very friendly in a genuine way- not phony at all! She was very knowledgeable and helped us decide on cocktails, cause let me tell you, there are a lot to choose from! The margaritas were delicious and really big! The food was equally delicious! Everything was tasty and fresh. Portions are large and prices are reasonable. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah... Free dessert cause it was my birthday! I have since returned for lunch and everything was great again. Their lunch menu is awesome! I had a delicious chicken torta and salad for only $7! I'll be back, but I wish I lived closer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed appetizers, cocktails,JJandJJDined on 8/7/2013We enjoyed appetizers, cocktails, entrees and dessert and were not disappointed by a single item. Both the Sangria Braised Short Ribs and the Baby Back Ribs were outstanding. Choice of vegetarian options were great as well. Bonus... A discount is offered on Wednesdays for "Heros", including armed services personnel, police, firefighters and teachers!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go here - it's great.stuartmckenzieDined on 8/2/2013Food, service, atmosphere, drinks all great. Will not hesitate to return.Special Features:
- Simply great Mexican foodTequilaKingDined on 6/15/2013BEst mole I ever had. Everything down to the rice and beans is great. The bar features fantastic tequilas sensibly priced.Special Features:
- Great Mex in Downtown Fullertonhow2chowDined on 5/25/2013The fols at Matador had our table all ready for us and were very welcoming. The food is not standard Mexican fair (you can still get an Enchilada if you want) some of the menu had elements of Quintana Roo cuisine (Caribean side of Mexico). The shrimp with garlic cream sauce was delicious. The margaritia were wonderful and the bartender made a killer appletini. And a nice ambiance too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always good and serviceChapsVIPDined on 5/19/2013Food is always good and service is fine. It was very noisey on a Sunday afternoon.
- Pre-Theater Dining and DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2013We always enjoy a quick and delicious mexican dish with excellent margaritas before going to the local theater and this is one of our favorite places locally. We tend to go a little early and we have never had to wait and they get us in and out quickly. Always a positive experience for us.Special Features:
- Newfound gemEatinDined on 5/11/2013Loved this restaurant! Service was great, the food was great, and so were the specialty cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cinco de DrinkoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2013Not sure I can give a fair assessment as I was there to "eat" on Cinco de Mayo. The food was at best ok. The place extremely loud and service a bit slow but all of that may be explained by the chaos of that day/night. I'd go back again if I was in the area and it was convenient but I wouldn't travel specifically to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Growing up in LA, I love allbigeaterDined on 2/28/2013Growing up in LA, I love all kinds of different foods. One of my favorites is Mexican cuisine. I love street tacos, burritos, combo plates you get at your local joints. This is an upscale experience that I haven't had a lot of for this type of food. It's easy to get good steaks or upscale sushi but Mexican? Not common. I have to say it was quite pleasant. The quality of ingredients and excellent presentation just shines through. Great place. Give it a try!Special Features:
- We were on our way to a playOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/15/2013We were on our way to a play and walked right in and got seated right away. We told the server we were in a hurry to get to a play - "no problem" she said, and within a few minutes we had our drink order and our food order (street tacos were very good). Good food, good drinks (house margaritas) and great service. Hard to beat...we will be back.Special Features:
- Five*MonaDined on 2/1/2013Went here to celebrate my sister's birthday and had a wonderfu time! The food was awesome and Fried Ice Cream was Superb!!!Special Features:
- Ole!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013Love Matador! Their food is always top notch, drinks are fabulous and the service is great! My favorite is their chili rellano. A neat twist on the usual chili rellano but last night I tried the chorizo ravioli and it was divine! The sauce was a little thin but overall, it was delicious. Great margaritas, too! The manager, David, is great. He went around talking to each table and when he came to mine, I mentioned that I was thinking about trying the chorizo ravioli. He had the cook bring me one to sample so I could see if I liked it. Love that kind of service. I highly recommend that Matador Cantina!Special Features:
- Went for New Years Eve. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012Went for New Years Eve. Service was very slow. Food was good as usual. If you are into the bar scene and dancing, this is a popular place to go in downtown fullerton.Special Features:
- Mango MartiniOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2012Creative Menu, enjoyed their Mango Martini w Chili Powder on the rim :)Special Features:
- Food was excellent, creative,Luvjah2Dined on 10/12/2012Food was excellent, creative, and focussed on flavour..... Decor and atmosphere perfect for the evening hours.....staff was cool and attentive...great find !(the passionfruit mojito.... YUM !!!)Special Features:
- The sangria braised shortCatherineVIPDined on 9/29/2012The sangria braised short rib was absolutely delicious. The staff were very friendly and the cocktails were good!Special Features:
- My friends and I gather hereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2012My friends and I gather here for Taco Tuesday. We love the food and the service is always excellent. I highly recommend coming here for dinner or even just to grab a few drinks!Special Features:
- Matador is excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Matador is a great little gem in Fullerton. Amazing ambiance and superb Mexican food. The brunch is exceptional!Special Features:
- Extremely noisy takes awaymelgVIPDined on 7/27/2012Extremely noisy takes away a bit of the fun of dining at this unusual restaurant. Not the run of the mill burrito, refried beans Texican style of cooking.Special Features:
- Make a reservation beforeMasMaloDined on 7/14/2012Make a reservation before going on the weekends. Good food, different mix like chorizo raviolo, etc.Special Features: