901 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marinrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6122527000x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:00am
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mike Rakun
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Marin now offers Boxed Lunches ... visit our www.marinrestaurant.com for additional information.
- Private Party Facilities: Marin's private dining room is the perfect setting for your next business breakfast, lunch or dinner, birthday party, rehearsal dinner or any special occasion. We offer two private dining rooms, one accommodating up to 24 people for a sit down event and the other ideal for groups up to 28 people.
Marin also offers our Library Bar for cocktail reception for groups up to 125 people.
- Private Party Contact: Tara Heisler firstname.lastname@example.org 9524571220x
- Entertainment: The Library
Live DJ Friday and Saturday 9pm- close
- Special Events: Happy Hour
Monday-Saturday 3pm- 6pm
$6 Select Wine
$5 Call Cocktails
$3 Draft Beer
1/2 Price Bottles of Wine All Day Sunday *On all bottles $100 and under
A word from Marin
Marin Restaurant & Bar is an inviting combination of Northern California and Minnesota influences. It’s a showcase for inventive, health-conscious cuisine with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients served in a beautiful and refined urban setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Marin reviews from OpenTable diners
226 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (141)special occasion (107)great for outdoor dining (75)romantic (68)good for groups (53)notable wine list (48)great for lunch (28)hot spot (26)neighborhood gem (23)late-night find (23)great for brunch (22)vibrant bar scene (22)scenic view (7)Show More
- Good food and experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014It was our first time at Marin. Loved the small plate of salmon belly and pita with hummus. The flat breads and entries are also excellent. If you are in good sushi or fish in general, order ahi tuna.Special Features:
- Great pre theatre mealJoeSVIPDined on 8/29/2014Three of us arrived at 6:15 for the 8 PM show at the Orpheum. Our waiter made sure we had our courses served promptly so we did not have to rush our meal. The food was fantastic, we shared the ahi lettuce cups (3) that were served with seared rare large pieces of ahi. We then had the tuna tartar and shrimp ceviche, the tuna had an avocado and mango sauce and the shrimp the appropriate sour vinegar kick. We finished our first course with grilled cauliflower hummus, a great item to share. For dinner we had the duck with polenta, scallops with grits and tuna over edamame, all light and flavorful. You just cant go wrong at Marin plus you can even count your calories as all menu items are listed with their nutritional values.Special Features:
- Lack of choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Not a fan of the food choices. The beef was poorly cooked and tough.Special Features:
- Another amazing dinner!FanannieDined on 8/28/2014This is my 4th time eating at Marin and it is quickly becoming a favorite. The wait staff is absolutely incredible and their recommendations are spot on. I had the walleye (special of the day), which was served over a bed of heirloom tomatoes. It was outstanding! Some appetizers of the hummus, fresh spring rolls, the cheese plate and a some fabulous (affordable too!) wine made for a great pre-show dinner.Special Features:
- Great food and service.GoodFoodDined on 8/28/2014We dined there before a play and the waiter gave us great service and made sure we had our check in time to get to the play. Food was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good, Service Non-ExistantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014We ordered salads, entrees and a side dish of brussel sprouts to share. We waited 40 minutes after our salads for our entrees. The entrees were delivered but no side dish. By the time the waiter swung by to ask how everything was, we were 3/4 through our entrees. He said he would go get the brussel sprouts right away. He returned 5 minutes later to say it was an "oversite" and they would be delivered shortly. Then 15 minutes later the staff delivered roasted carrots which we sent back. 15 mins passed until we tracked down our absent waiter for our bill. We got the card signature chit but no itemized list. We never got our brussels sprouts, never heard a peep from the manager nor any thought about comping anything. A ruined date night.
- Small Plates!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014My sister and I had dinner before a show. We shared five small plates including a flatbread. Each was fresh, tasty (we really liked the prawns, ahi tuni and duck buns) and generous in size--for small plates. We were late because of traffic--and the staff handled it with aplomb.Special Features:
- lindadDined on 8/24/2014My husband had the chicken which was too salty. A daughter had the tuna and it was just tuna - nothing special. My pork tenderloin was good, but very peppery which wasn't as advertised. (I don't mind the salt and he doesn't mind the pepper, so we switched.) Another in our party ordered the mushroom ramen and loved it. The duck appetizer was good, but not the foie gras (again uninspired). Our server, John, was perfect, however.
- Perfect before the showReReDined on 8/24/2014Situated right across from the Orpheum and just down the street from several other theaters, this place is a perfect dinner spot before a show. They even offer the option of purchasing dessert with dinner to be eaten after the show. I had the tenderloin, which was delicious. Our server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-show brunchmlissraeDined on 8/24/2014We went to Marin before a show at the Orpheum. The servers were very attentive to the fact that we were going to a show. The service seemed a little slow at times, but overall very friendly and very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC!GeorgiagirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014Finally made it to Marin and it will be our new go to in downtown Minneapolis! Healthy food that tastes great. The choices on the menu are wonderful; veggies and carnivores alike will be happy. Calorie/nutritional content listed so you know what to eat to save room for their great dessert! We went there for Happy Hour and will be returning for dinner. Beautiful bar area and exceptionally friendly staff. Wish we hadn't waited so long!Special Features:
- Great brunch before OrpheumJoeGaltDined on 8/23/2014We stopped by for brunch before the Saturday matinee showing of "The Book of Mormon," right across Hennepin at the Orpheum. I had the Huevos Rancheros, and my beloved had the crab eggs Benedict. Both were beautifully prepared and presented. Our only knocks on the place were the somewhat-slow service pace, and the price of the drinks, which was quite high. So we'd recommend you slake your thirst mostly elsewhere (like the Mackenzie Pub, across the street), but definitely go check out Marin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater dinningglobalexplorerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Excellent choice for a meal prior to a show on Hennepin Avenue. We had a mixture of small-plates that were all creative, artistically presented, and tasty. The desserts were also excellent. We look forward to returning for a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre show dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014My wife and I wend to Marin before seeing the Book of Mormon at the Orpheum. This is the perfect spot right across the street from the Orpheum. I had the duck and my wife had the seared Ahi. The food was great and the service was perfect. It was expensive at $155 for the two of us including tip. This was a special occasion so we were okay paying that much since the food and service were great and the location was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasing to the paletteJAVELINA8Dined on 8/21/2014We ordered from the small plates though we have ordered from the entrees also. Wonderful ,from the caesar salad to blue prawns to oysters And then I had chicken flat brad and we shared a cheese plate, Very yummy We did order duck pate but it was not to our liking and they were so obliging and apologetic and did not charge us for it ,My glass of Riesling was excellent I recommend the restaurant highlySpecial Features:
- Dinner & a ShowShowstoppersDined on 8/20/2014We have been to Marin once before - that was good. This time was even better. Our meal was very well prepared and presented. Our Redfish was a unique twist on Asian fusion, and very tasty. The wine our server suggested was just perfect. We each had different desserts, the chocolate with cherries and the tapioca with passion fruit sorbet - these were delightful. The "dot on the I" was definitely the high quality of service we received. Our server gave good advice, was attentive not pushy, and his manner was very friendly, but not familiar. We will definitely dine at Marin again.Special Features:
- Glorious Food...great chefDavyJoDined on 8/20/2014What a blend of flavors......excited taste buds that I did not know I had. Perfectly cooked and well worth the cost.Special Features:
- KateVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had a very enjoyable time at Marin. Everything we had was outstanding, as was the service. They have an amazing collection of gin available! We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic happy hournsd1VIPDined on 8/13/2014Happy hour with some of the best tasting appetizers ever. The noise level is based on the 4pm time of our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!JoyceBDined on 8/8/2014Really enjoyed our evening here - the food is beautiful, and the ambience was great. Appreciated the varied menu, it offered a lot of choices in all categories. I was especially appreciative of the number of clearly marked gluten-free options on the menu.Special Features:
- Great family dinner get together.hungryDined on 8/3/2014We had a large group of family. They accomodated us and had a large table for us. Had coctails and starters and it was all great. Good deal on bottles of wine on Sunday. The food was very good and everyone gave thier food high marks. Desserts were delicious. We'd go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent before a concertEspressoDined on 8/2/2014I picked this restaurant for a meal before a concert based on location. I had heard about it so it was a wonderful surprise. The food was different in a very positive way. Service was excellent. The décor has changed significantly from the prior restaurant at that location. It is warmer and very sophisticated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serverlunchVIPDined on 8/2/2014I love the calories/fat, etc listed on the menu so you can make informed choices. I had the kale salad and the pork tenderloin and it was outstanding. Our server was polite, knowledgeable and the perfect amount of attentiveness. A great spot to dine before an event!
- Food We Ordered Was WonderfulPaulaMDined on 8/2/2014Everything about the Beef Tenderloin entree was incredible; my husband had the special which he said was wonderful; both entrees included the confit tomatoes which are also amazing. Spring rolls were very fresh. We dined early (5:15) before a show, so I can't rate the ambiance/noise level when there is a full house. The patio was nice and sheltered; the line of tables with bench seating across from the bar are too close to allow for any privacy - so the romantic factor depends on your table location. Only disappointment was that the choices of red wine available by the glass were mostly ordinary labels. When one is familiar with the retail price of the wine offered, it is extremely hard to stomach the huge mark-up by the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFoodloverDined on 8/1/2014The duck I had was tender and cooked perfectly and my partners tuna was also perfect. It was a bit noisy but great for people watching. Obviously a good place to go before a show. Very close to the tram so we could have a drink and not worry.Special Features:
- Flat breadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Had flatbread and veg spring rolls. Both flat bread pizzas were excellent, the spring rolls were just ok not a lot of flavor. The dipping sauce was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, friendly staffctjgDined on 7/26/2014We had a party of four and everything we ordered was delicious from the cocktails to the small plates to the entrees. The food was presented with style, prepared with the freshest of ingredients and included creative pairings. The manager even stopped at the table to check in and we had a lively conversation with him. We wanted an early dinner before the opera and Marin kicked our evening off in style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locally sourced, organic, mediocreFranklyDined on 7/25/2014We get what they were trying for but they mostly missed. The ham, blue and fig flatbread was very nice but it was all downhill from their. The duck breast lacked flavor despite being cooked properly, the leg was badly overcooked. The pickled onions that came with the slivered snap peas overpowered everything and the grits added nothing to the dish. The halibut was also nicely cooked but also disappointing, the tomato 'broth' that went with it didn't go well with the fish and the vegetables were bland. When the tab for 2, with a glass of wine runs over a hundred dollars I expect a lot better. We dine out about 100 times a year and hit this price point 3-4 times and this was the most disappointing meal in that range.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for downtown lunch meetingMeg81Dined on 7/25/2014Lunch was perfect! It was a quiet atmosphere, great for a lunch meeting. And the food was not only delicious, but the perfect portion for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Food was very good. Ambiance was energetic but loud. Tough place for a business dinner with more than four people. Do not park in parking ramp at end of block. my car was vandalized and robbed. I would suggest using valet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MarinTimmerDined on 7/18/2014Four of us dined at Marin and the experience was wonderful. We had a show that night and everything was timed perfectly so we could easily get to the theatre. Highlights: the scallops and ceviche were awesome - deliciously prepared. Don't miss them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food I have ever hadAnniversaryDined on 7/18/2014Our waiter was awesome at recommending the best dishes for our anniversary dinner. The food was spectacular; worth every penny.Special Features:
- guests2dineguests2dineDined on 7/16/2014This is our 3rd time to Marin's and again it met our expectations. The atmosphere is pleasant and the service is exceptional. The food is very good and displayed well. Overall, we recommend this restaurant and will certainly return many times in the future.Special Features:
- MarinAfoodiesincebirthVIPDined on 7/12/2014Flatbread was cooked to perfection. Lots of fresh, seasonal ingredients on the menu. The halibut was lovely, and our server graciously accommodated plate-sharing.Special Features:
- DacotahDakotahVIPDined on 7/11/2014This was a very enjoyable evening for us. The waiter made dining pleasurable by making good suggestions and being attentive, but not hovering. We were celebrating our anniversary and close friends recommended Marin's which we have also recommended already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor in the cityLBMJEMDined on 7/11/2014We had 7 people in the outdoor courtyard. Our service was stellar, the menu intriguing and everything arrived together and no mistakes. The duck was one of the best in the Twin Cities (unlike a certain restaurant attached to a well known Mpls theater). I was especially pleased to note that they would reserve outdoor seating for us. The only issue we had was the music, but our server was able turn the speakers down a few notches. All in all a great evening (we returned the next night with a group of 5 for desert).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimTDined on 7/11/2014Excellent and creative food choices. Good wine choices but could use a few more red wine choice by the glass. Food choices were easy to share. Liked the farm to table concept and the fresh food. Found the info on nutrition quite helpful. Best of all they had great tea choices including rooibush - not found in other Minneapolis restaurants that I have tried. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationswMNfoodieDined on 7/7/2014After delaying our 23rd wedding anniversary celebration, my wife suggested an overnight outing in the city. We both love to watch foodie shows and wanted to find a restaurant known for its excellent food. After a little coaxing I agreed to visit Marin, and am glad I did. The service was pleasant and the food excellent. I normally order a beef dish, but ordered a summer chicken chef's recommendation. The delicious smokiness made it the best chicken dish I have ever eaten at a restaurant. My wife' scallop lobster dish was to her spicy liking. Most excellent food and a fine ambience near the downtown theaters, go visit Marin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous MarinBitein2itDined on 7/7/2014Five of us dined at Marin on a stormy July evening. From the moment I was greeted by the parking valet with his umbrella who escorted me into the restaurant, I knew this would be a special place. We had reservations to eat on the patio, but because of the rain, we were forced to eat inside. It was not a hardship! The restaurant is lovely! We started at the copper bar, and then moved to our table. The appetizers were outstanding ... Especially the veggie spring rolls and the Ahi tuna lettuce wraps. I had salmon for the main course and it was cooked to perfection! Everyone of us enjoyed our delicious meal at Marin. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; great experience!JudesDined on 7/6/2014This was my first time at Marin and I will definitely be recommending it to friends and family! I had the cauliflower hummus to start and their fired up oven baked pita was perfectly seasoned to perfection. I'd go back for the pita alone! The wine list is extensive and the atmosphere is quite and good for anything from romantic dates to special occasions. I highly recommend the Seasonal Vegetable Plate or the Scallops with Lobster Hash; both great choices for entrees. Don't leave without trying the Tapioca dessert (I'm not a big tapioca person but this is a must have when going to Marin!) Overall a great experience and very satisfying. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.