229 Galisteo Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.loliviersantafe.com/
- Phone: (505) 989-1919
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, French
- Executive Chef: Xavier Grenet
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: West Alameda & Galisteo Street
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: 2 minutes away from public parking/garage, entrance on San Francisco Street. Exit by walking on the back side of the parking, on Water street. We are 2mn away.
Or you can park on the other side of the Santa Fe River.
A word from L'Olivier
Fine Southwestern and French Cuisine. Executive Chef Xavier Grenet uses as many local products as possible with his own French technique. He creates a fine Southwestern cuisine, rich in flavors and finess.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
L'Olivier - Best Restaurants in Santa Fe ›
L'Olivier reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (41)special occasion (38)romantic (33)great for outdoor dining (25)notable wine list (24)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Santa Fe FindMarsVIPDined on 11/15/2014Had a wonderful dinner at this restaurant! We started off with a shared arugula fig salad that was just terrific. Our main courses were the king salmon (so delectable!) and the braised short ribs. The food was delicious, well-prepared and elegantly presented. Our server was very thoughtful without too much attention. Dessert was a wonderful piece called "Opera". All in all, a very nice evening at a tastefully decorated eatery. You should check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Xavier Grenet on holiday?4warnedis4armedDined on 11/12/2014Having recently read the review in "Edible", I expected delicious food. All 3 diners had flavorless dishes; each added considerable salt. My salmon was done perfectly but no seasonings, with sides not as described on menu. The 2 vegetarian main plates were also not memorable. Lovely interiors but banco seats highly uncomfortable. Gracious wait staff, having to deal with a lot. After reading the other reviews, I can only conclude that the L'olivier experience is very uneven, with positive raves from many people. I won't try it again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Service great, room pleasant, food so-so, prices high. not worth the $
- Fabulous for Special OccasionVegeGirlDined on 11/1/2014The staff was very attentive from the moment our party walked in, and a warm comfortable atmosphere especially as it was a full house upon our visit, yet it was very intimate. They were very accommodating and the menu adaptable for the vegetarians in the party, with several entrees to select from. The entire party loved everything, the entrees were absolutely delicious. Definitely on the top of the go-back-to list of restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the hype!karenkayeVIPDined on 11/1/2014Excellent food and service and the owners have finally gotten in right in this building that has housed a number of different restaurants over the years. The atmosphere is warm and inviting although I wouldn't want our table by the front window in midwinter it was already cool there. The food excels although a couple of dishes were a little heavy handed on the salt. Better to bring it to the table and ease up a bit. Interesting combinations (chipotle cream mussels) and fabulous desserts (floating island, a triple decker chocolate mousse) and a nice wine list. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moules frites!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/29/2014Until the end of November, every Wednesday night you can get mussels and fries and they are wonderful!!! You can get them one of two ways, traditional or Chef Xavier's twist. Yum!Special Features:
- We Loved It!!!winecountrybruceDined on 10/24/2014A very modest wine list however the food menu had something for everyone. We had two different main courses and they were both outstanding. The food was fresh, presentation wonderful and the tast OUTSTANDING!!Special Features:
- Good French Option In Santa FeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014It is a nice little french bistro in a corner of Santa Fe. Food was great and service was competent. Tip: If there is just two of you dining, make your reservation for two hours before they close. No one will be waiting for the table and you dine in comfort.Special Features:
- Happy accident.SantaFeLukeDined on 10/17/2014My girlfriend had wanted to take me on the dinner train for my birthday, but they had shut down their operation a week after she bought tickets, and failed to let her know. Needless to say, we needed a contingency plan, a nice restaurant on the spot. L'Olivier turned out to be the right amount of class and sophistication for a bday dinner. The food was delicious, as was the wine. What could have been a train wreck of a night for my gal became a comfortable ride through a vibrant French culinary countryside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LandofEnchantmentDined on 10/17/2014Our second visit was as wonderful as our first. We definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great DiscoveryDannyDined on 10/16/2014I happened to discover L'Olivier by accident and I'm so happy I did. It was perfect in every way: ambiance, service, and most of all food. The duck confit was sublime. Really wonderful escargot and garlic sauce. The suckling pig was excellent. This was one of the best meals my wife and I have enjoyed in Santa Fe and that's saying quite a lot. We will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est magnifique!protrombinaDined on 10/16/2014Our first visit to Santa Fe and now we understand why this restaurant appear on every single search we did on "best restaurants in Santa Fe". The food was outstanding and the desserts to die for! A MUST stop while in town.Special Features:
- WonderfulSamStarDined on 10/13/2014We stopped in here on a whim and it was truly one of the best dining experiences we've had. Our server was very professional and knowledgeable about the food, down to the preparation of specific components. The wine pairings she recommended were spot on, and she brought out four glasses to try to make sure we were satisfied with the selections. The food was magnificently prepared and beautifully plated, the flavors were perfectly balanced and the portions were more than ample. My only regret is that we were too full to try any of the dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvsavoryluvsavoryVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were in Santa Fe on vacation and thought we would try this newer restaurant. We were disappointed with the night's special, Leg of Lamb, It was fatty and tough. The flavor profile was weak. The other entre, Duck was average . The saving grace was the excellent dessert, Chocolate Souffle.it was to the best we've had. The server was very, very good, knowledgeable and pleasant. The servers need a little more training. All in all, we will give this place a little time and will try again.
- ok but...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014I had the lamb and it was very fatty and had to ask for sharper knife to cut all the gristle....waiter never even asked if lamb was ok (Ask for sharp knife was my tip off)....thought prices were a bit high for the soups and salads but maybe many diners only order them for dinner so the restaurant has to make their profit on the apps and sides
- L'Oivier 1OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We had a great time! It was noisy, though; I do know that means people are having a good time. Maybe more textiles somewhere could help to absorb the sound. The food was great!Special Features:
- Ask about what you're ordering.Siena7678Dined on 10/1/2014I was a little disappointed because I ordered the beef steak that was supposed to come with gnocchi, some sort of cheese and favi beans. I mainly ordered the item because of the sides. However, there were was no cheese and it was served with brussell sprouts and some potato croquettes. I understand that sometimes the kitchen has to substitute items, but they need to let the customer know so they aren't surprised. I probably would have changed my order had I known.
- Disappointing dinnerdiningout7Dined on 9/27/2014We had a disappointing dining experience this past Saturday night. The noise level made it difficult for our waiter to hear our order and for us to have a conversation. The waiter was missing most of the evening. His support team was as well. We spent much of the evening hoping for more water. When food arrived it was never served to the correct person. At on point, I had to get up from the table to find him, so that we could all have more water and order additional beverages. The food was hit or miss. The Duck was delicious, the steak and squash blossom starter were overly salty. A very uneven experience.Special Features:
- First timeLuvveroVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Our only negative was that there was not enough wait staff. Our waiter was very solicitous but had too many tables to cover. We'll go back!Special Features:
- Excellent French BistroPete35Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent food, wine parings unmatched and wine list very good, but very reasonably priced. The sea bass was fantastic, my wife said it was the best she has had fantastic blanc sauce and black rice. The elk achiote was traditional Santa Fe with excellent sweet potato puree. The foie gras with sauternes was the best part of the meal.Special Features:
- SherryDined on 9/20/2014Excellent!!!!! I would go back again, great service, amazing food (try the Green Chile Mashed Potatoes - they're to die for)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencenmcapoteDined on 9/19/2014Took my partner here for his birthday, and while it was his first visit, I had been here before. Though relatively new on the Santa Fe restaurant scene, this is the place to go for foodies who want to experience the latest cutting edge cuisine. I had the elk steak, which was the best I've had, and there was strong wine list, with plenty of seafood options if one wanted to eat lighter fare. Well worth every cent, this restaurant delivers on every level. Great, great evening. Would recommend to anyone!Special Features:
- Wonderful FindLandofEnchantmentDined on 9/19/2014We had a wonderful first-time experience. The foie gras and the squash blossom appetizers were magnificent, light and silky, and the elk and halibut were perfectly cooked. Wine pairings were spot-on. All in all, a fabulous dinner.Special Features:
- One of Santa Fe's Best RestaurantsLynnDined on 9/12/2014The food here never disappoints. My party split several dishes: we began with a crab salad and a tuna tartare, then had warm asparagus with ham and parm, duck salad with frisée and pomegranate, and a wonderful halibut with orzo and lobster sauce. All superb. L'Olivier always makes the best, most perfectly cooked halibut anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply excellentAnchomanVIPDined on 9/5/2014What a pleasure to have a restaurant with consistently excellent food and a really good European wine list at great prices. (Finally somebody understands that the bulldozer-Californian wines are not to everyone's tastes; hooray for balance and subtlety!). Par excellence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WildcatDined on 9/4/2014Four out of five entrees were excellent. The salad entry was undersized and relatively flavorless. Short ribs and fish dishes were excellent. However, the "Floating Island" dessert was mediocre at best. Watery with an egg flavor. The presentation was unappetizing. The chef and staff were excellent and accommodating. We will definitely return since now we are familiar with the menu.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner!ExquisiteVIPDined on 8/30/2014Friends recommended this place or it would never have occurred to us to try it. The food was really wonderful! The mix of french and New Mexican ingredients was a delightful surprise. Each dish was beautifully prepared. We sat on the patio & it was quite intimate with the fire going. Just a lovely evening! The close proximity to the Plaza is nice for tourists, but I saw mostly local foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good but not GreatWesternretireeDined on 8/30/2014Small warm restaurant with somewhat crowded tables and uncomfortable seats. Our four starters were lovely. The Elk main course was cooked strangely, apparently starting with a large tenderloin, then sliced, and when it was seen that it was too rare, the slices were arrayed and put into the oven. This resulted in an overdone slice, a medium slice, and two raw slices. The sauce was quite salty. The Halibut was quite good as was the chocolate soufflé and the off-menu cheese plate. The service was good, but not particularly friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something special for Santa Fepatti83Dined on 8/22/2014The most important feature is the Menu and all the daily specials. Everything if fresh of the day. The menu is creative and unusual with a French influence and sometimes a southwestern twist. A very peaceful atmosphere in the center of town, walking distance to most shopping areas and the Plaza. Very friendly staff who knows how to accommodate your needs and never rushes you. Recommended for all occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always wonderful.TJGIntlVIPDined on 8/21/2014I regularly send friends, both in and out of town, to this great little French restaurant. One of my favorites in Santa Fe. I wish L’Olivier continued success and I will certainly support it. I recently brought our group of 7, and everyone loved their meal. The squash blossoms are wonderful, although the cherry soup was heavily seasoned with anise, much too strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Dissapointed!Localgal235Dined on 8/21/2014Not what I expected. Disappointing experience with our food. Presentation not pleasing and food was undercooked and cold.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014This was our first time at this restaurant and it was wonderful. We will definitely return. Our group had Squash Blossom Tempura and Escargot for appetizers. For entrees, we had halibut, snapper, sea bass, and chicken and everyone loved their food.Special Features:
- Delicious Dining ExperienceSFDinerDined on 8/14/2014Celebrating the end of our annual Opera bonanza in Santa Fe, our group found L'Olivier a perfect setting and equally delicious dining experience. All our choices on the menu, from the elk to the beef and the duck, were superbly prepared with excellent sauces to highlight the varied meat tastes. We know because we all excitedly sampled all the dishes on our table. We could not have done better that evening to pair our dining experience with our continued love of the Santa Fe Opera.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Ambience, service, and food were all fantastic! Love how the chef incorporated green chile into his french style. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious overallOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014We had the squash blossom and an oyster special for an appetizer - both delicious. For our main entree, I chose the Sea Bass while my husband had a swordfish special. His was DELICIOUS! Mine was just average. However, the chocolate mousse dessert made up for it! And he had the cherry soup for dessert which was also amazing. Service was perfect. Outdoor patio is amazing as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have had betterBabykittenDined on 8/8/2014I ordered the duck confit salad as a main course. I love duck confit and always order it when I see it on the menu. It was dry, and not at all succulent and flavorful the way good duck confit should be. Dessert was so so. Without wine, and with only one entree, two appetizers and two desserts, bill was $78, plus tip. I would not return.
- Excellent entrees and apetizersTerryDined on 8/6/2014But the desserts were only so so. We asked for a quiet table outside and were placed next to the street. Loud motorcycles passing by interrupted our conversation. The service was fine only it took forever once we were seated to get a waiter to take our order. We had to tell a passing waiter that we were ready. With tip it cost the three of us $190 and we only got one appetizer, 2 glasses of wine, and 2 desserts and 3 entrees. So it is quite expensive. On the site it has two $$ which is not accurate. And either on your site or theirs it says dinner under $30 while most entrees are more. Wines are expensive and appetizers are too.Special Features:
- Nice patio w jazznordicaVIPDined on 8/6/2014The night we dined there was a great jazz duet playing, adding to the ambiance of this Santa Fe French restaurant. A nice lobster salad was followed by scrumptious short ribs and slightly overl-cooked halibut. A friendly wine list and server rounded out a pleasant evening downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4meVIPDined on 8/6/2014Excellent French chef==a great dining experience. Quality ingredients presented in an elegant way.Special Features:
- Just okwwwwVIPDined on 8/5/2014Need serving staff. Food was good but it was a very skeleton crew.