La Mer at Halekulani
2199 Kalia Road
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
La Mer at Halekulani
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.halekulani.com/dining/la_mer/
- Phone: 8089232311
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Alexandre Trancher
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Salon La Mer comfortably seats up to 16 guests and offers a tranquil private lanai for that pre dinner cocktail.
Salon du Vin entertains up to 22 guests and may open up to an elegantly appointed living room to indulge in a La Mer specialty cocktail
- Private Party Contact: Dining Reservations 8089232311
A word from La Mer at Halekulani
La Mer is far more than a restaurant, it’s a degustation destination. Celebrated as Halekulani’s finest and Hawaii's longest, consecutively ranked AAA Five Diamond Restaurant, this consummate dining experience is unmatched. The internationally acclaimed menu features Neoclassic French cuisine expertly crafted and served amid majestic and romantic ocean views of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head. Indigenous ingredients are uniquely blended in masterful dishes inspired by flavors from the south of France to produce an unsurpassed dining experience. An award-winning wine list is available to complement the perfect dining experience. Jacket or long sleeve dress shirt, slacks and dress shoes are required for men. As an elegant fine dining restaurant, La Mer restricts patrons to adults and children 8 years or older.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
La Mer at Halekulani - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
La Mer at Halekulani reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (67)scenic view (64)special occasion (63)fit for foodies (39)notable wine list (34)great for outdoor dining (10)neighborhood gem (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Best in Honolulu!MarcVIPDined on 8/31/2014Elegant and traditional, we love this restaurant because it is just perfect. The food is delicious, the service spectacular and friendly, and the views amazing. No place better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/29/2014Outstanding from start to finish. The tasting menu with wine pairings is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary couples & touristPocoDined on 8/23/2014Noticed most of the crowd were either older couples celebrating anniversaries or younger Japanese tourists. I will definitely be back for our 21st anniversary.Special Features:
- One of the best everOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/14/2014Superb food-superb service-lovely wines-expensive but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenceLucLDined on 8/12/2014Outstanding and very fine cuisine. Superb and discrete service. Great evening. Costly but no regretSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed dinnerYukiDined on 8/10/2014All foods are so delicious! Service is so nice! We enjoyed dinner, looking a beautiful view and listening Hawaiian music. When we go to Hawaii, would like to visit La Mer again. Thank you very much for giving us fantastic time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- visiting from Kailua konaKonajimDined on 8/9/2014Loved our waiter, the detailed attention, the food, everything. My only suggestion a broader menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was absolutely perfect!pineappleDined on 8/5/2014We finally got the chance to dine at La Mer. Everything was perfect! The food, the service, and ambience! Service was very friendly, and the servers knew their food and wines. We went at 7:30, so we were able to enjoy the sunset a little, but next time, we will go at 7, and enjoy the beautiful ocean view for awhile longer. I cannot wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new FAVORITE RESTAURANT ANYWHERESilkyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Absolutely wonderful! Superbly attentive service. Delicious food. Beautiful ambiance. Not cheap, but worth the the splurge! Leave the kids with Grandma, and enjoy an adults-only date night. My wife & I loved loved loved it!! Can't say enough! We wholeheartedly recommend La Mer! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much improved..jackDined on 8/2/2014After one year later since last visit... their food became less impressive, especially the main course -- meat. Their meat (beef, pork) was just ordinary... cannot find anything impressive.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2014We are staying at this beautiful hotel and decided on this restaurant for a July birthday celebration for my mother and I. It was great The food, service, table our view....We chose four course option and we did not leave hungry! The duck was perfect , really everything was...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymosDined on 7/27/2014Way way way too expensive USD195.00 p.p. PLUS Wine Pairing USD$95.00 p.p.... We left hungry and went to get a Burger on the way home. I had been booked for months and was really dissappointed with the lack of food. We will never returnSpecial Features:
- Lovely Romantic MealScottDined on 7/26/2014We had just gotten married on the beach earlier in the evening. We got the perfect seat, overlooking the ocean, and both went for the set menu. It was lovely, not too filling, and most everything was a delectable tasting combination of interesting flavors and beautifully plated choices. We had a few drinks and the evening was marvelous.Special Features:
- Jim65Dined on 7/24/2014Outstanding menu selections. Superb wine choices. Gracious and attentive service. One of a kind restaurant , well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your money!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014Our bill for the two of us was over $300 and our whole meal, including the dessert, was terrible.Special Features:
- JmacDined on 7/17/2014Excellent everything; truly, a lovely dining experience.Special Features:
- Perfect food and atmospherepoodlestarDined on 7/3/2014Every food had agreeable complexities. Their hospitality multiplied an elegance of the beautiful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular view & yummy foodBeautifulviewDined on 7/2/2014A truly top-notch place that should not be missed if you enjoy the finer things in life. Spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Mer - one of a kind experienceswnsl808Dined on 7/2/2014Great food. Great restaurant. Super service. Special views. Made us feel like very special guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love it!JapaneseLOCODined on 7/2/2014I resarved 2weeks ago. My friend told me La mer! We ordered 3 courses dinner, It was good choise for us, because we ware really full! and then we saw big rainbow!! They have a nice hospitality‼︎Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gay wedding dinner celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014After 20 years together, my partner and I decided to celebrate our wedding in Hawaii after same-sex marriages became legal. It was going to be a low key affair, so I decided just to book a restaurant near our hotel. I found several reviews of La Mer on-line. I wanted something elegant but I admit I was concerned that it might end up being a little 'stuffy'. I couldn't have been more wrong! We had a wonderful time. The food was outstanding, both in taste and in presentation! The staff were very welcoming of the four of us. If they had any 'issues' about celebrating a 'gay dinner wedding', they certainly hid it well. They seemed very genuine in their congratulations. I highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience21jumpcheeksDined on 6/30/2014We had dinner at La Mer on the last night of our honeymoon and we couldn't have ended it on a better note. The food was excellent, the staff were super friendly and helpful and we had a great table overlooking the beach. Everything was perfect and they even gave us a little chocolate cake at the end of the night with candles and the words "congratulations". Best dining experience in Waikiki.Special Features:
- La Mer at the Halekulani - FabulousLocalToDaMaxDined on 6/30/2014My wife and I spent our 18th wedding anniversary at this spectacular restaurant, La Mer in the Halekulani Hotel. We couldn't have had a better time. The view was awe inspiring and to top it off, we were serenaded byhe Kelly Boy Delima Ohana. I can't say enough wonderful things about my friend Kelly Boy and his legendary Kapena Group. The management and staff of this wonderful venue are first class and showed endless amounts of aloha. This is a true 5 star restaurant to its core. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a very special and unforgettable dining experience. The lofty price tag of our spectacular culinary repast on this extra special occasion was well worth it! We will soon visit again!Special Features:
- Food Quality has dropped.ResidentDined on 6/28/2014One of the positive aspects of La Mer has been its consistent quality in food and service. Much to my surprise this time, I found the food quality to be dropping. Specifically, the caviar and steak was just average. The seafood salad was bland and tasteless.Special Features:
- A mustbrainboyVIPDined on 6/26/2014For the food, the ambiance, the service.. but be prepared to be there a few hours..Special Features:
- Bennett Family Special OccasionSandSlovebirdsDined on 6/26/2014Myself, Sharleen and our 12 year old daughter Jasmine had an amazing unforgettable experience at LaMer. Alvin was our waiter and was outstanding. He was helpful and made us feel so welcome. He also was very attentive to our daughter and explained the menu to her and us and gave us great advice on what to select and how the menu worked. I must mention all the staff were five star. We had got married in the afternoon and Alvin and the team made it a night to remember. Very special. The food was out of this world. We can't fault this experience. When desert was served Alvin had organised a cake with a candle for us to enjoy as a complimentary gift which was a lovely finish to the evening. Over all 100% LaMer ! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2014Food was uneven - steak / fois gras was excellent. abalone - a bit chewey. duck- little over done. Vanilla souffle - excellent.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerAquaRedRaiderDined on 6/21/2014Great romantic spot for special occasions. The monchong and vanilla soufflé were delicious and the service was superb. The view of Waikiki beach was beautiful and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for cerebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014great kindness, services for our cerebration. They made awesome seat, foods, wines and services. Had great dinner in La MerSpecial Features:
- Best romantic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014The service is fabulous, the setting is sublime, and the scene is romantic. This is the premier special occasion restaurant in Hawaii.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Merveilleux! (Wonderful!)NoBcarelessVIPDined on 6/14/2014Extremely a wonderful experience. The ambience and superb service were immeasurable. The food were well prepared and the Foie Gra's was very tasty as our honored guest described. Everything was great and fantastic!Special Features:
- Superb! Exquisite execution.KalenaDined on 6/12/2014A wonderful way to enjoy a special moment with friends. What a special place. Thank you !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/9/2014La Mer is a special place. Pre fixe dinner (3courses) is 110.00 @ w/o wine pairings. Wine begins about 65. and goes from there. It's for a very special occasion with a special person or special friends. Outstanding on all levels. Where else can you have a special dinner, watch the waves, listen to Hawaiin music with Diamond Head as a backdrop??Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Nothing special. Taste of the beaf was not excellent . Fish neither(My wife ordere) It could be said Hawain french.Special Features:
- service is wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2014Although cooking was also wonderful,it was impressed by service of table person charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for improvementFrenchFoodieDined on 5/21/2014The service and ambience was outstanding, but we were very disappointed with the quality and presentation of the food compared to when we attended a year ago and Phillipe Padovani was the chef. The high prices are no longer justified.Special Features:
- honeymoon celebrationheidissDined on 5/20/2014Prior to arriving in Oahu, it was suggested that we dine at La Mer. I booked a reservation. It was such a treat. The location - upstairs - provides for a beautiful view of waikiki beach at sunset. Our servers were professional and attentive, but didn't hover. The food was delicious and the suggested wine pairings were also superb. if we make it back to the islands, we will go back to La Mer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2014Wonderful experience. I hadn't been to La Mer in a longtime but it was as beautiful and gracious as I remember. The food was excellent with some subtle modern and local touches within a French framework. A meal might have been crafted from just the innovative and delicious appetizers alone but the lobster and pork cheeks should not be missed. The souffle and accompaniments was wonderful, and the gold frosted cake offered to my companion for her birthday was an unexpected treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was just OK.HawaiiParatrooperDined on 5/16/2014Let me start by saying that the service was excellent. The food was just OK and our table location was not very good. We spent $450 for dinner and drinks and stayed around 90 minutes before heading to the bar, Lewers Lounge downstairs. There is a dress code at both which requires dress shoes, a long sleeve dress shirt or a jacket for the men. The problem with this is that it is an ocean air restaurant without air conditioning which meant some sweating while seated...however it appeared that you could show up in jeans and a shirt and they would provide you with a jacket that could be draped over the chair back..so much for the dress code. I would recommend just formal Hawaiian style would be more comfortable and possibly more enforceable.
- "The Sea" Without FishM1107JVIPDined on 5/16/2014With the name "La Mer," I assumed I would have a good selection of fish dishes to choose from. But, sadly, only one. That one wasn't great. The portions were small, the prices through the roof. I don't mind paying for qualityand a menu that offers variety, but when it doesn't deliver on the basic requirement, a great dining experience, then I feel disappointed. Mark JorgnsenSpecial Features: