8439 W. Sunset Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.innovativedining.com/restaurants/katana
- Phone: 3236508585
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full line of Sushi, Robata, and hot and cold specialty appetizers. Full bar. Please call RuthAnne Gibson, (310) 271-6000 to get more information on our catering & special event offerings.
- Private Party Facilities: Private room can accommodate up to 34 people. For large groups, Katana's outdoor patio seats dining groups up to 20 people and inside dining groups up to 17 people.
- Private Party Contact: Kathy Sneddon 3236508585x
- Special Events: New Year's Eve party, beginning at 9pm, with a DJ and Dancing on the patio with a Pre Fixe menu, tables available at 9pm and 9.30pm for this Special Event. Early dining available with our regular menu beginning at 6pm and ending at 9pm. More details are available at the restaurant.
A word from Katana
Katana is an extraordinary beautiful Japanese restaurant serving Robata, a form of Japanese tapas, traditional sushi, and a unique variety of Japanese cuisine. There is a Robata and sushi bar, and spectacular patio dining overlooking Sunset Strip.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Katana - Best Restaurants in West Hollywood ›
Katana reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (60)great for outdoor dining (59)special occasion (47)romantic (41)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (30)late-night find (29)vibrant bar scene (25)scenic view (21)notable wine list (10)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Consistent Crowd Pleaser!TonyHTonyHVIPDined on 8/27/2014I can't say enough about Katana. The menu is inventive and well-balanced. The sushi is among the very best I've ever had. The service is superior to most of the best restaurants in West Hollywood and the scene is always vibrant. Don't walk, run to Katana. You won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatanaFlochuDined on 8/15/2014We went to Katana for our "daddy and mommy" night out. It was awesome!!! The service was excellent and the food were great. I was so happy of my sashimi salad it was gooood! I will definitely go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stilesVIPDined on 8/13/2014This has to be the best Japanese restaurant around and the chef is Mexican! What a great experience from the sashimi to the hot dishes. Can 't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- best hangoutshawnVIPDined on 8/9/2014I have been going there for the past 10 yrs. I love this place. Food is great. Service is awsome, and the ambiance is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- three starsStacksDined on 8/2/2014Place is way too busy which makes the service not good at all. Food was good, not great. Some celebs come by. No biggie...Special Features:
- great and loudJeffDined on 7/25/2014Fabulous sushi but suggest sitting inside, preferably at the sushi bar. Outside is all "scene" which makes family dining difficult. The street below (Sunset Blvd) is noisy as well. For sushi lovers it's a must-go. But make reservations and specify inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is lovely restaurantAlexVIPDined on 7/24/2014It is one lovely restaurant with great food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- hip but very poor service8luv2eatDined on 7/20/2014We did dine LA menu for dinner. Hostess was great! Multiple servers (4). Server was not familiar with dine LA menu. Did not get serve rice and soup. Server was going to check if it came w/ the dine LA menu but she never came back. Ordered rice anyway and was charged even though it should be included. It would have been perfect except for very poor service. Will not go back and will not recommend and will discourage family and friends to go to this restaurant. RIDICULOUS!!!
- Great ClassicRobWatVIPDined on 7/18/2014I always go to Katana when I am in LA and it never disappoints. The food is excellent. The ambience is incredible. Keep up the great work Katana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, long wait.Ings888Dined on 7/16/2014We waited over 45 minutes for our table - we had a booking and arrived on time but that didn't seem to matter. Once we were seated and had ordered some options to get started, we were told the kitchen would soon be closing so we were rushed to order some more or miss out. Otherwise, food is fab and a fun vibe. Quite dressy and young crowd.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/11/2014I had a very nice dinner at Katana. The only thing i didn't like was the hostess. I reserved the restaurant, and when i got there i asked to be seated outside. They said there was 45 min wait, even if there was 4 tables empty!!So we went inside, I didn't like my table, but still sat, and after 15 min the tables were still empty!!So I asked to speak with the manager, and he came and told us very nicely that we could seat outside. I really don't understand the rudeness of the hostess. If it's full I understand but not when there are tables empty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceAR24VIPDined on 7/10/2014Great restaurant! The food was delicious, the ambiance was fun & unique, and the waitstaff was very friendly. We had reservations for 9pm but got to the restaurant very early but the hostess was nice enough to seat us at a great table on the patio.Special Features:
- Service was a let down .OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014Sat outside in the courtyard, very nice space. Food was good but service was a little off....having to retrieve wine oneself from ice bucket is not good.Special Features:
- Terrible service ended walking outOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014It was terrible I made a reservation was never attended 40 min after my reservation time and asking how much longer multiple times not only did they treat me as though they were doing me a favor by serving me they never attended us we ended up leaving I will never go back I have been there once before an the food is good but not worth the bad service the hostess was not only rude to me but to everyone you are literally at the host counter and you are Lucky to her eye contact
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014My husband and I dined outside. We tried a lot of different things and everything was great. Service was great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Katana never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/30/2014One of the best sushi places in LA! Try the White Lotus roll!Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant in LA!Hope2eatDined on 6/28/2014I am not a fan of sushi, but this is the only place where I will eat it! The food is so delicious! We travel all the way from Ohio to enjoy (in my opinion) the best dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nouveau Japanese at it's finestSandaDined on 6/24/2014One of the best examples of taking modern food styles and infusing it into traditional Japanese methods and tastes. I am first generation Japanese and I believe I know good Japanese food over mediocre. Katana is without a doubt on of the finest I have visited.Special Features:
- HaifaDined on 6/20/2014A great place for a romantic dinner or a night out especially that it is right across the street from Skybar! The food was amazing and the service was so good. One of the best restaurants in Los Angeles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst experienceLazybear15Dined on 6/20/2014This was literally the worst experience of my life and a restaurant. The server was horrible. He took 15mins to come say hi and get us water then another 15 to come get our order. Once we ordered we waited for almost an HOUR for our food to come out. Waiter kept saying they're very busy. I would be understanding of that if everyone around us wasn't getting their food, but everyone was eating except us! Finally after almost an hour of waiting I cancelled our order and left. Waiter gave us the lamest "I'm sorry" ever, as if he truly couldn't care less. Oh by the way this was an anniversary date and Katana managed to screw it up royally for me.
- Great place and fantastic food!MorozcoDined on 6/16/2014Great ambiance, our server was very professional and helpful, and my date and I had an amazing experience. I have been before and will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatanaKatanaTimeDined on 6/12/2014Great food, great place. how can you go wrong with this place? always excited to go there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/10/2014I have had bad experiences here, but the food has always prevailed, and I was entertaining an out of town friend so we came here. We got seated and the table next to us who got seated after us got their drinks and food order before us- it took forever for our server, we had to grab him a couple of times to order more food. The food was great, and ambiance good too. When I went to leave, the valet had taken my key fob. They said it wasn't on my key chain when I gave it to them- which is impossible. What a headache- it ruined the night. This time I mean it- I will NEVER go there again, I don't care how good their food is.Special Features:
- Not sure if I'll be coming backOntherealDined on 6/7/2014Made a reservation for 10pm to be told there's a half hr wait by the woman on front desk that was dismissive. Got my table at 11pm, service was good waitress was friendly, but the good took way too long to come out; I was with my girlfriend and they brought out all of my food first, she just sat there watching me eat for 20mins. Not great..Special Features:
- Bad sefvice, bad foodcatherineVIPDined on 6/7/2014For the amount of money you pay here, you expect to get better service and better food. This is the fourth time this has happened to me. My reservation would be at 9 pm and I never got seated so I would end up eating at the bar. Food was wither uncooked or so cold. They really need to change some things around to better accomidate their guests.
- Outstanding Salmon SashiniGr8LifeDined on 6/5/2014Excellent food and excellent service. The sushi chefs are very creative. One of the best overall dining experiences I have ever had in LA. The servers are well educated on the extensive Sake list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried and TrueKayJay02Dined on 5/31/2014You cant go wrong with this long time hot spot. Great for any grown and sexy occasion!Special Features:
- Excellent getaway in busy areaFoodieFinderDined on 5/30/2014The ambiance is quite amazing, a close friend told me about Katana about 8 months ago. We were craving sushi and was thrilled to get a reservation quite fast at the time we wanted! Yay!! The Kobe Pepper and Filet Mignon wrapped in asparagus was delectable, the ginger relish, not so much. For the sushi rolls, the crab dynamite was an absolute hit! Spicy Tuna had a great bite and flavorful. The Moscow Mule was very well mixed, but one of the two blonde Asian wasn't. The atmosphere made it an excellent getaway, for the time we were there, I forgot I was in the heart of west Hollywood, enjoying the great food and conversation. Would definitely go back soon, even though I live about 60 miles away!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Solidfoodie007VIPDined on 5/30/2014Katana is always a solid choice. Went for friends birthday and they wished her one when we arrived and our server was great and had some lovely recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations UnnecessaryUma12Dined on 5/24/2014I had reservation for 10pm and we got our table at 11pm then we Ate dinner very late . So why do we need to make resrevation ? also the hostess was very rude.
- Lovely Evening!LisaBDined on 5/21/2014We were celebrating my god daughter's college graduation and the staff made the evening very special for her. The outdoor dining area was the perfect place to introduce her to Los Angeles. Our servers description of the 3 kitchens helped us choose the right combinations of tasty delights as well! I am always pleased after a meal at Katana.Special Features:
- Great ambienceIcey1VIPDined on 5/19/2014I luv it! The food is great and the ambience is perfect for a sexy dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique menu and excellent service!!NygirlintxDined on 5/16/2014The view from the upper terrace/patio was picture perfect. Our server Ashley made it a perfect night for our family of four. We were with our young daughters celebrating a one of their birthdays. We eat sushi quite often and Katana's menu is amazing. The food was unique and yummy. We will definitely dine there again the next time we come to LA!!Special Features:
- hungry just thinking of itCraZeatsDined on 5/16/2014Had a wickedly romantic date there! And were both still dreaming of the warm creamy soufflé. The Fusion cocktail did the job and staff was awesome, atmosphere on the deck was perfect and beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014The food was amazing! Love the right sized portions which allows you to try everything. The sushi was the best. Will try more of that next time. I enjoyed the robata (tapas) style. The waitress had a well rehearsed explanation of the menu and the best things on it. The ambiance was great. Lots of stone and dimly lit. The outdoor seating was chic but busy. Check out the Sky Bar across the street after dinner for drinks with a view.Special Features:
- BEST PLACE EVERPAOPAODined on 5/14/2014ME AND MY FRIENDS WENT TO KATANA FOR THE FIRST TIME CELEBRETING MY GF BIRTHDAY, FOOD WAS DELICIOUS, OUR SERVER TONY WAS GREAT, I MADE RESERVATION VIA OPEN TABLE AND REQUESTED A HAPPY BIRTHDAY DESSERT I DIDNT EVEN HAVE TO REMIND THE WAITER HE KNEW AND SURPRISED DE BIRTHDAY GIRL,WE WILL BE BACK FOR SURESpecial Features:
- Great food love the balconyGuccaVIPDined on 5/13/2014Great food service is ok I love seating outside and I love the food I wish the waitress were more professional for such a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DissapointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014Katana is always a pleasure and by far my favorite place to dine. The food is great and melt in your mouth delicious. We always have our waitor make the choices for us and to date, they have never made a wrong choice. We always recommend it to anyone who asks for a great place to eat. Just love it!Special Features:
- Looking forward to return!ennervatemeDined on 5/7/2014I brought my friend here for her birthday dinner and mentioned in the opentable notes that it was a celebration. I requested a simple "anything that the restaurant offers for a birthday would be appreciated." We were seated outside on the balcony at a cozy 2-person table, close to a heat lamp - the perfect spot for a duo! Our waiter was very courteous and quick. We ordered the crab dip and two sushi rolls which were delicious. When we ordered dessert, they brought it out with a large sparkler and the words 'Happy Birthday' written on the plate in chocolate! It was the perfect amount of attention and they didn't go overboard! It was a memorable night for my friend and we both look forward to dining at Katana again!Special Features:
- The following 647 reviews are from the Katana reviews archive.
- stilesVIPDined on 5/3/2014Everything was far above our expectations. The BLT Albacore was phenomenal as was the Katana Roll. I don't recommend the short ribs or the chicken meatballs (not for our taste). I would definitely go back and try a bunch of other things. Great Saki list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.