1915 Dunlavy St
Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.justdinnerhouston.com/
- Phone: 7138070077
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thurdsay: 6:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Daniel Toro
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Fireplace, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only)
- Private Party Facilities: We have a variety of options to host a dinner party. Our Mirrored Room comfortably seats 10-12 people. If you need a little more room, you can have the whole house. The maximum capacity is 30 people. Our chef will design a menu for your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Lila Rivas 7138070077
- Entertainment: Join us for our special prix-fixe dinners accompanied by some of Houston's most beloved musicians.
A word from Just Dinner
Just Dinner on Dunlavy is Houston's most intimate BYOB. We are located in a charming bungalow in the heart of Montrose. We have a true passion for food, you can taste it in every bite. We source from our own organic garden for inspiration. We shop daily from a variety of markets for the freshest produce and seafood. Our waitstaff is attentive and warm, they are happy to suggest pairings for your wine. We would love to cook for you. You bring the wine and the good company, we'll take care of the rest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Just Dinner - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Montrose ›
Just Dinner reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (62)neighborhood gem (58)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (52)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Surprise!tablhoprDined on 9/12/2014This place is a great surprise. From the moment you sit and look at the great menu choices till you leave. Wonderful place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!papabearDined on 9/12/2014My wife and myself visited Just Dinner to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. The atmosphere once arriving was very quite and romantic. Our host was super nice and we were seated at once. Our server was also great and very helpful in recommending items and how they were prepared. This will be easier to just list the foods we had after stating they were all wickedly awesome!!! We started with the crab cakes, entrees my wife had the special, gulf shrimp over pasta covered in olive oil and seasoned, I had the lamb with a black olive sauce over if i recall correctly chick peas. The dessert was this amazing hatch chili cheesecake topped with a hatch chilli pepper jelly, amazing balance of spice and sweet! We are very excited to revisit soon!Special Features:
- Cosy but...Houston77055Dined on 9/11/2014I was hoping a finer food for this price. pasta was dry, sauce average, a lot of sweet and salt mix, and cheese... but great gaspatcho!Special Features:
- Nice dinnerRogRodVIPDined on 9/5/2014I finally made it here on a double date. We had an enjoyable time. Food was food. I have had much better crab cake, shirt ribs were good, a little sweet but good. The best part is BYOB! Awesome!Special Features:
- CozyFoodloverDined on 9/4/2014Service was a slow. I think the kitchen lost our order. I thought the short ribs were a little dry and chewy. Menu was interesting and it's nice to be able to bring your own bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Just dinner celebrationDwittDined on 8/30/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Just Dinner! The staff was so friendly and knowledgable. Each course was delicious, from apps to dessert. Ingredients and preparations were well thought out and executed to perfection. A true dining "find". BYOB was fun as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!dinewithwineDined on 8/27/2014We have been coming to Just Dinner for several years now. My daughter introduced us to the restaurant because she lived in the area. The ambiance, food, service and atmosphere are wonderful. The owner has a garden behind the building and everything is fresh. We go to Just Dinner whenever we are in Houston (we live in the Clear Lake area). Just Dinner is a BYOB establishment and we love to bring our favorite bottle of wine! I would recommend Just Dinner without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in unique settingTexanDutchLadyDined on 8/23/2014We had a lovely evening (apart from the room being a bit on the warm side). My dinner partner had looked the restaurant up on the website and noticed it is a BYOB which I did not noticed when I found this restaurant on YELP. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Short and sweetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014This is a great little restaurant for a special date night or foodie experience. Very intimate.Special Features:
- hidden gemwonderfulDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniv at Just Dinner and it was WONDERFUL. The service was attentive, friendly, and not rushed to turn a table. The food was possibly the best I have had. I think I made a yum sound with every bite of my filet dinner. The pairing of side/garnish was creative and delighfully tasty. Loved being able to bring out own wine and the served it to specification like used decanter when needed. The chocolate cake desert was so warm and finish dinner nicely. I wish it was closer because I would go all the time. I will make sure to go back and send all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBobDVIPDined on 8/21/2014Food was excellent, courses well timed with beautiful presentation. The service was prompt without being intrusive. This is a BYOB restaurant and $10 corkage fee is a bit stiff but really the only negative I had on the evening. The dining area is small, intimate and very quiet compared to most Houston restaurants. A great place for a "special someone" meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IPrettyDined on 8/21/2014The food was AMAZING! The service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemFeaselDined on 8/16/2014Had a fantastic meal at "Just Dinner" with my husband. Service was impeccable and food was tasty, with some great menu choices and a wide variety of specials. Prices are a little higher than some of the larger restaurants in the area, but given that the place is so small and a lot of the food is locally sourced, I was happy to pay a bit extra. Our dessert in particular was fantastic - chocolate cake/soufflé with vanilla caramel gelato, heavenly! Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HavingFun2Dined on 7/25/2014Loved it!! Great food, great service, totally recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceHeatmarsDined on 7/25/2014The service is really spot on. The food is great. It's a cute and romantic spot. Only reason I did not give all stars was the AC. It is so hot due to it being an old house, they could use a few more window units in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a nice placeGigiDined on 7/24/2014Just Dinner offers great food, in a nice setting and with friendly staff. They are not too much present, they let you order and eat starters first without pestering you to order your main course. We will be back. Not too soon, because we know the menu rather well after three dinners. That is maybe the only slightly negative point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Dinner, Just PerfectsimplysopeDined on 7/24/2014Had dinner at 'Just Dinner' with a friend who would be leaving the country permanently. We have been to Just Dinner a few times and really enjoyed the quiet comfort and delicious food. Our reservation was at 7 and although my friend was a little late I was seated promptly. Cruz was our server and he was amazing. Kind, attentive and really knowledgeable about the menu, he made one of the last meals with my friend a great one. Funnily enough, we have had Cruz before and we even let him order for us the last go 'round. I would say if he is available, ask for him. You won't regret it. ALSO, the molten chocolate cake with salted caramel gelato was amazing. Get it in your life.Special Features:
- Very good romantic spotinspiradoDined on 7/19/2014Very cozy interior and attentive wait staff. The food was excellent and very well prepared. BYO is always nice too! We will absolutely be returning, if not making this one of our "spots"Special Features:
- Best Date NightAshlynVIPDined on 7/5/2014Just Dinner has been on my list of places to try and it did not disappoint. I went with my boyfriend to celebrate my birthday and we had a great time! The atmosphere and food were great! I highly recommend the pork belly for an appetizer. So amazing! I can't wait to come again to try more items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceRED4BUDined on 7/5/2014I took my girlfriend to Just Dinner this past Saturday evening. It was her birthday and I wanted to take her somewhere special and different. We walked into what appeared to be a house to find a romantic and intimate restaurant. We were about 10 minutes early but were seated immediately by the friendly staff. We brought our own wine and it was uncorked after being greeted by our server. We chose the ratatouille for a starter. We split the caesar salad. We each had the filet mignon topped with gorgonzola cheese on a bed of mashed potatoes and grilled vegetables. We split the mango crustado with lavender blueberry gelato. Everything was delicious and the dining atmosphere made this a positive, memorable experience.Special Features:
- Off the beaten pathBK2025Dined on 7/3/2014I've been there twice and on a scale of 0-10, I'd give it a 6.5. We had crab cakes as an appetizer which were decent. Lamb chops (daily special) were great and the short ribs were good but slightly dry. For dessert, we have chocolate mouse (it was called Chocolate lava or something) which was decent (a little too rich) It's BYOB which is great, however I think a $10 corkage fee is slightly steep. Overall it's a romantic place with decent/good food.Special Features:
- dvlgDined on 7/3/2014loved it! from appetizer to dessert everything was wonderful!!! and our wine from home created the perfect plus!Special Features:
- faithDined on 7/1/2014The place is everything people described: small, romantic, very intimate, great food, great service, and HARD to find if you are not paying attention. However, I wanted to add that is also gay friendly. I requested an "open minded" server because I was taking my girlfriend to celebrate our anniversary. After all, we live in Texas and I wanted to make sure we had a great time without getting any weird looks. We definitely enjoyed ourselves. Our server was more than I expected and asked for. Thank you so much for a great evening Just Dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PevishDined on 6/27/2014This was our first trip to Just Dinner but it came highly recommended. The simplicity of this little house/restaurant gives one a down home feeling as you walk up to the front door. The service was attentive from the moment we walked in but not so attentive to be bothersome. The food was amazing, nothing over the top fancy but a basic American style menu offering selections from all the familiar groups. Everything was prepared to perfection with beautiful presentations. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone tired of the crazy loud "it" restaurants but who wants an enjoyable meal with your own bottle of wine. It's BYOB and I would recommend reservations.Special Features:
- A few weak pointsr3451Dined on 6/26/2014One of the waiters had an aloof and negative attitude. $7.50 corkage fee per bottle is too high. $11.00 for a tiny piece of cheese and a few bland crackers is too high. It had a better "feel" when the former owner (now deceased) was in charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerMary1984Dined on 6/19/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary. I was disappointed to see that it was more casual than dressy. The lighting is a bit dim, so it is hard to take pictures and you don't want to turn on the flash since it would be rude. Our waiter was nice, but he got busy. Didn't order dessert because wasn't worth the price, so went to DQ :) Didn't like that the owner took away our bread and didn't even ask if we were done. She didn't even ask how we were doing either. Food was just okay-nothing special. Pork Tenderloin stuffed with bits of chorizo. (I thought it was big chunks not ground) Also, was disappointed-I guess there's no free dessert for anniversaries!Special Features:
- Always pleases1ConfessedFoodieVIPDined on 6/19/2014We have been a lot over the past six months. Love the menu and the specials. Chef works magic with so many interesting ingredients. Starters, salads, main course and dessert - no weaknesses. BRAVOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenceTamaVIPDined on 6/18/2014This is the 3rd time I have had the pleasure of dining at Just Dinner. The food is absolutely outstanding. Our server described each dish in perfect detail which added to our delight. We loved the brussel sprouts as an appetizer. Mark had the short ribs and they were cooked to perfection and my grouper was delicious. We also had the crab cake as an appetizer and it was the perfect size to share. Mark insisted on getting key lime pie and I wanted the strawberry shortcake. My dessert was excellent and his key lime fit him well. I did think the key lime was a bit tart. It was a totally enjoyable evening in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/14/2014I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. The food is always great and completely reasonable. I have the opportunity to eat at great restaurants all over the country and this is one of my all time favorites. Top 10 in Houston for sure.Special Features:
- Hopeful but just averageSallyDined on 6/13/2014Wedding anniversary dinner, but first time dining here. Not sure that was such a good idea! We loved the service and the fact that is it BYOB, but the dishes were not all great. I chose two of the specials, a roasted corn and sweet potato chowder and a crab cake entree, but neither were flavorful, and the crab cakes were quite bready, not lump crab cakes like you find at every other fine dining establishment in Houston. My husband really liked the panzanella salad, and the shrimp pasta, and the key lime pie we shared was truly delicious. Overall our experience was that it was just average, and that was disappointing, as I had heard such amazing reviews.Special Features:
- YumjbradbVIPDined on 5/28/2014Great local fresh foods, not huge portions. BYOB!! Lovely setting in a old home.Special Features:
- Too much salt & too little serviceDeborahDined on 5/24/2014Our experience was average. We were dining with another couple. Two soups and two salads to start - the soup was delivered and then after waiting a bit, we had to remind our waiter about the two salads. Our entrees were tenderloin filets, and they were clearly a good cut of meat, but they had been seasoned with far too much salt. The waiter offered to bring fresh wine glasses since the second wine bottle was different than the first, yet we to remind him about it so we could enjoy the wine with our meal. The waiter was pleasant enough, but the service was average, and sadly the tenderloins were spoiled by the excessive salt seasoning.
- Unhappy BirthdayLeeJDined on 5/22/2014We've enjoyed Just Dinner in the past as a spot for a semi monthly wine dinner gathering for a group of friends. Most of the food was really good except for 2 of our group who didn't care for the manicotti. The main issue came when we had brought in an Italian crime cake since it was the bday girls' favorite and asked for some plates to serve some cake but we're told the cook had to serve it and would be charged a $3 cutting fee. Didn't realize it was per slice and we're charged for everyone in the party even if they weren't having cake. An unhappy $24 ending to an otherwise nice night.
- AnonDined on 5/22/2014This is a wonderful little restaurant, market driven menu, and I think the best BYOB in Houston. I go as often as I can get reservations!Special Features:
- The following 154 reviews are from the Just Dinner reviews archive.
- Perfect dinner spotBruce4518Dined on 5/20/2014We had the braised short ribs and brought a bottle of wine to enjoy a needed evening away from home and work. We have been three times, every time has been special and we enjoy the simple touches in this fine restaurant. The chef is creative without being fussy.Special Features:
- WonderfulLadybugVIPDined on 5/16/2014Really excellent small restaurant - wonderful food, great service. short rack of lamb was excellent! Quiet, romantic place for pleasant conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My taste buds were happy!Houston123Dined on 5/16/2014The food was fantastic! I tried several new dishes that I had not tried before. I didn't think much of brussels sprouts before, but these were out of this world. The sweet potato soup...Yum! Make reservations...only 14 tables. I like that I can take our own wine. It's a great gem; you won't be disappointed. Oh, almost forgot, peach crème brulee is a must try.Special Features:
- TerrificmfjegDined on 5/13/2014Tried Just Dinner to celebrate a birthday. It was just fantastic - best dinner we've had in Houston. Try the foie gras appetizer - unbelievable. Its also BYOB, so take your own wine. Tony was our waiter and he was great, service was top notch. Prices are very fair for the quality of the food and over all experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third visit as excellent as firstcnuberDined on 5/9/2014This was my third visit to Just Dinner. I brought my parents to celebrate their anniversary. We had crab cakes and quail legs for appetizers, both wonderfully presented and prepared. We all had different entrees, and even though my mom ordered the spaghetti special (you think, what's fancy about spaghetti?) the sauce was excellent and mixed in were pork belly, italian sausage and pine nut meatballs which made for a unique spin on boring pasta. One of the other draws is that restaurant is BYOB. I'm a bit of a wine snob and often find myself turning my nose at wine lists at some restaurants around town (hate to admit it), so knowing I can bring my own excellent wines from my cellar and pay a small corking fee (10$) is huge for me. A+++++Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/7/2014We were delayed due to transportation problems and they were most gracious and understanding. Very attentive and professional staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.