1915 Dunlavy St
Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.justdinnerhouston.com/
- Phone: (713) 807-0077
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thurdsay: 6:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Daniel Toro
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Fireplace, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only)
- Private Party Facilities: We have a variety of options to host a dinner party. Our Mirrored Room comfortably seats 10-12 people. If you need a little more room, you can have the whole house. The maximum capacity is 30 people. Our chef will design a menu for your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Lila Rivas 7138070077
- Entertainment: Join us for our special prix-fixe dinners accompanied by some of Houston's most beloved musicians.
A word from Just Dinner
Just Dinner on Dunlavy is Houston's most intimate BYOB. We are located in a charming bungalow in the heart of Montrose. We have a true passion for food, you can taste it in every bite. We source from our own organic garden for inspiration. We shop daily from a variety of markets for the freshest produce and seafood. Our waitstaff is attentive and warm, they are happy to suggest pairings for your wine. We would love to cook for you. You bring the wine and the good company, we'll take care of the rest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Just Dinner - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Montrose ›
Just Dinner reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)romantic (51)fit for foodies (49)special occasion (41)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great food & atmosphere conducive to conversationSueBobTexasDined on 11/15/2014Great food - reasonably priced for dinner in an intimate surrounding. Placed in a small house in a quiet neighborhood it is perfect to meet with friends and have a wonderful meal and the ability to converse without a lot of noise. The small corkage fee of $10 a bottle enables you to share your favorite wines with friends and not have a huge bill. We have been here several times and have never been disappointed. Our party of six had steaks, lamb and the special meatball dish and no one was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!ShirleyDined on 11/14/2014I have dined at this uniquely-located restaurant quite a few times in recent years and have never left disappointed in anything about it. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is warm and rather funky, and the service is impeccable. My only complaint is that it is hard to get a table without reservations pretty far in advance. However, I would not change that because it is the small and intimate quality that adds to the overall charm. Houston needs more little home-like places like this for foodies to enjoy. No glitz and glam - - just incredible dining and quiet enough to be able to talk without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Pleased.DisappointedDined on 11/12/2014Food was excellent. Totally met our expectations for a nice evening to celebrate our anniversary in a simple setting with easy parking, but with good food. Enjoyed the BYOB - the search for a bottle of wine on the way there added to the fun of the occasion and the savings on the wine was spent on the desert and tip for attentive service. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlendyVIPDined on 11/8/2014Lovely restaurant and staff. Took my bf here for his 37th birthday dinner, food was wonderful. Only complaint was the ventilation...it was really smokey and we left with our clothes smelling. Other than that, it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- hidden gemSteveDined on 11/8/2014There's no big sign outside Just Dinner; you just kind of have to know it's there. It's a beautiful place to have a romantic dinner or celebrate an occasion with friends or loved ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent 5 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014We've been going here for 7 years-- we have to plan further and further ahead now to get reservations. Through the years and all the changes they have been thru the food and service have always been fantastic. On the most recent visit the crab cakes were probably some of the best in Houston and you can never go wrong with the Sunday gravy!Special Features:
- Just Dinner is just fantasticfinickyfoodieDined on 10/31/2014Nice atmosphere. Fairly quiet. Servers were very attentive. Creative menu choices. Great food.Special Features:
- Wonderful as alwaysLuvtodineVIPDined on 10/31/2014Just Dinner is one of our top 2 restaurants in Houston. The food was amazing and the service impeccable. For a delicious special dinner out, Just Dinner is our go to restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem In Montrose AreaTiffDined on 10/28/2014I almost don't even want to write this review because I don't want other people to find out about this awesome little gem. But, that would be unfair of me. This place is awesome! Not only is their food amazing, but its a cozy little cottage that has a very quaint and romantic atmosphere. Bonus...it is BYOB. So, grab your friends and your favorite bottle of wine and get over there. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First impressionsewilkeDined on 10/18/2014Overall the food was good. The menu is not huge, but a good selection. We enjoyed the food and our waiter was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BYOBPRFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/17/2014Best BYOB in Houston. Menu varies. They will work with you if not on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic cozy and delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014We love this little renovated house turned restaurant. It is super cozy and romantic, the service is excellent and friendly, and the food is excellent!!Special Features:
- Excellent meal with one exception.AnnciVIPDined on 10/15/2014Four of us had dinner there. Everything was wonderful except the fish special and it was not exceptional like everything else.Special Features:
- Great Find!lggnd95VIPDined on 10/11/2014I never noticed this space before. I did a search online for a quiet restaurant in Houston. This place showed up! My partner hates loud restaurants so the venue was perfect! The meal was fantastic as well. Don't forget to bring your own wine if you plan on pairing your meal. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Gourmet BYOBDeDinerVIPDined on 10/11/2014This quirky BYOB serves gourmet food in a setting that allows you to carry out conversations without having to raise your voice in order to compete with the all too usual surrounding din. Although all tables are consistently full with people of all ages, the feeling that you are a guest in someone's home apparently encourages diners to behave like guests and politely curb the volume of their voices and laughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnnyDined on 10/11/2014Just Dinner, is one of the best places to eat in Houston . We have been fans for over 10 years! John y JoseSpecial Features:
- Just Dinner: MY HUSBAND GETS A STARMaggieDined on 10/9/2014I gave my husband 5 days to plan our romantic anniversary dinner while I was out of town. He did a great job by finding Just Dinner. I don't understand how two foodies from NYC never heard of it! We had a luscious foie gras custard to start, then shared tile fish and short ribs. Had a tough time choosing because I am an Italian food addict and a neighboring couple had eggplant parmesan and cannelloni, and a beautiful salad. Very cordial staff as well as clientele. Somehow seemed spacious, with separate rooms for different sized groups. Love the BYOB aspect - we're always saving our good wine for a night out and never get to do it. Finally have a place to go again and again. Will take my friends.Special Features:
- Always goodlocalgemDined on 9/27/2014I really enjoy this BYOB spot, food is always very well prepared and tastes great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodHtownfoodieDined on 9/23/2014It's all about solidly good food. Cute and romantic little house. Sign is small and not lighted but your GPS will get you there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at Just DinnerNYtransplantDined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed the cozy, intimate atmosphere of the bungalow that has been converted into a restaurant. The entree choices were quite varied although the fall items on the web site menu weren't available yet. The Morroccan appetizer with phyllo dough was simply delicious and we were lucky to order the "last one". It was unfortunate that they ran out of the lamb entree as my son wanted to order it. The shrimp and snapper entrees were very fresh and seasoned just right. The only negative issue I had was that the bus people were constantly refilling our water glasses. I know this isn't a problem for some but it became annoying that they were always at the table. Also, the $10 corking fee per bottle was a bit steep considering we had two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerVIPDined on 9/19/2014Loved the food. Quiet enough to talk to my dinner mate.Special Features:
- Just DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014The food was outstanding. Steak cut like butter. There were 3 or 4 tables of parties that got fairly loud and the dining area is small, so the noise was a bit distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!tablhoprDined on 9/12/2014This place is a great surprise. From the moment you sit and look at the great menu choices till you leave. Wonderful place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!papabearDined on 9/12/2014My wife and myself visited Just Dinner to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. The atmosphere once arriving was very quite and romantic. Our host was super nice and we were seated at once. Our server was also great and very helpful in recommending items and how they were prepared. This will be easier to just list the foods we had after stating they were all wickedly awesome!!! We started with the crab cakes, entrees my wife had the special, gulf shrimp over pasta covered in olive oil and seasoned, I had the lamb with a black olive sauce over if i recall correctly chick peas. The dessert was this amazing hatch chili cheesecake topped with a hatch chilli pepper jelly, amazing balance of spice and sweet! We are very excited to revisit soon!Special Features:
- Cosy but...Houston77055Dined on 9/11/2014I was hoping a finer food for this price. pasta was dry, sauce average, a lot of sweet and salt mix, and cheese... but great gaspatcho!Special Features:
- Nice dinnerRogRodVIPDined on 9/5/2014I finally made it here on a double date. We had an enjoyable time. Food was food. I have had much better crab cake, shirt ribs were good, a little sweet but good. The best part is BYOB! Awesome!Special Features:
- CozyFoodloverDined on 9/4/2014Service was a slow. I think the kitchen lost our order. I thought the short ribs were a little dry and chewy. Menu was interesting and it's nice to be able to bring your own bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Just dinner celebrationDwittDined on 8/30/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Just Dinner! The staff was so friendly and knowledgable. Each course was delicious, from apps to dessert. Ingredients and preparations were well thought out and executed to perfection. A true dining "find". BYOB was fun as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!dinewithwineDined on 8/27/2014We have been coming to Just Dinner for several years now. My daughter introduced us to the restaurant because she lived in the area. The ambiance, food, service and atmosphere are wonderful. The owner has a garden behind the building and everything is fresh. We go to Just Dinner whenever we are in Houston (we live in the Clear Lake area). Just Dinner is a BYOB establishment and we love to bring our favorite bottle of wine! I would recommend Just Dinner without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in unique settingTexanDutchLadyDined on 8/23/2014We had a lovely evening (apart from the room being a bit on the warm side). My dinner partner had looked the restaurant up on the website and noticed it is a BYOB which I did not noticed when I found this restaurant on YELP. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Short and sweetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014This is a great little restaurant for a special date night or foodie experience. Very intimate.Special Features:
- hidden gemwonderfulDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniv at Just Dinner and it was WONDERFUL. The service was attentive, friendly, and not rushed to turn a table. The food was possibly the best I have had. I think I made a yum sound with every bite of my filet dinner. The pairing of side/garnish was creative and delighfully tasty. Loved being able to bring out own wine and the served it to specification like used decanter when needed. The chocolate cake desert was so warm and finish dinner nicely. I wish it was closer because I would go all the time. I will make sure to go back and send all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBobDVIPDined on 8/21/2014Food was excellent, courses well timed with beautiful presentation. The service was prompt without being intrusive. This is a BYOB restaurant and $10 corkage fee is a bit stiff but really the only negative I had on the evening. The dining area is small, intimate and very quiet compared to most Houston restaurants. A great place for a "special someone" meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IPrettyDined on 8/21/2014The food was AMAZING! The service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Date NightKMHoustonVIPDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful food and ambiance. It's a cozy, intimate place with everything you'd expect from a high end restaurant but a casual vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemFeaselDined on 8/16/2014Had a fantastic meal at "Just Dinner" with my husband. Service was impeccable and food was tasty, with some great menu choices and a wide variety of specials. Prices are a little higher than some of the larger restaurants in the area, but given that the place is so small and a lot of the food is locally sourced, I was happy to pay a bit extra. Our dessert in particular was fantastic - chocolate cake/soufflé with vanilla caramel gelato, heavenly! Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 175 reviews are from the Just Dinner reviews archive.
- HavingFun2Dined on 7/25/2014Loved it!! Great food, great service, totally recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceHeatmarsDined on 7/25/2014The service is really spot on. The food is great. It's a cute and romantic spot. Only reason I did not give all stars was the AC. It is so hot due to it being an old house, they could use a few more window units in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a nice placeGigiDined on 7/24/2014Just Dinner offers great food, in a nice setting and with friendly staff. They are not too much present, they let you order and eat starters first without pestering you to order your main course. We will be back. Not too soon, because we know the menu rather well after three dinners. That is maybe the only slightly negative point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Dinner, Just PerfectsimplysopeDined on 7/24/2014Had dinner at 'Just Dinner' with a friend who would be leaving the country permanently. We have been to Just Dinner a few times and really enjoyed the quiet comfort and delicious food. Our reservation was at 7 and although my friend was a little late I was seated promptly. Cruz was our server and he was amazing. Kind, attentive and really knowledgeable about the menu, he made one of the last meals with my friend a great one. Funnily enough, we have had Cruz before and we even let him order for us the last go 'round. I would say if he is available, ask for him. You won't regret it. ALSO, the molten chocolate cake with salted caramel gelato was amazing. Get it in your life.Special Features: