Japengo - Waikiki
2424 Kalakaua Ave.
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Japengo - Waikiki
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://waikiki.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/entertainment/restaurants/index.jsp#39731302
- Phone: 8089231234x
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 pm -10:00 pm Lounge and Sushi Bar
6:00 pm - 10:00 pm Dining Room
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jon Matsubara
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining rooms available for up to 12 guests. Semi Private seating for up to 20 guests. Large party menus available starting at $50 and up. Wine and Sake available to pair with your dinner.
Enjoy the privacy of our Singapore room for your private event.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Hutton 8089231234x
- Entertainment: Please Join us next door at SWIM pool bar for nightly live entertainment.
A word from Japengo - Waikiki
Japengo – Located just steps from famed Waikiki Beach on the third floor of the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa. Authentic Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Southeast Asia inspired dishes with a full sushi bar and lounge. A variety of seating options will make Japengo perfect for any occasion. Enter our spacious sushi lounge, interactive sushi bar, private dining rooms or intimate tables-for-two. Japengo features innovative cocktails, sake, shochu and wine, expertly rolled sushi and a menu of exotic flavors from the Pacific Rim and South East Asia. Join us for what is sure to be a sophisticated culinary adventure.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Japengo - Waikiki reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (15)romantic (15)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (4)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Last dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014We took my daughter's best friend (who's leaving the island)and her parents. We were a party of 6, first time for all of us and had a great time. Food was good and table was conducive to conversation. Prices and selection of food were good. I would definitely come again.Special Features:
- BEST SUSHI IN WAIKIKI!!!JeanneVIPDined on 7/26/2014Japengo is a find....best sushi in Waikiki and the chefs are the nicest too....you won't be disappointed. Chef Johan is knowledgeable and a great chef as are Derek, Byron, Hill and Toru. And, ask for Arnold or Shirley if you opt to sit at a table - they are the best servers and many of the menu items are wonderful as well as the sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RuggarooneyDined on 7/20/2014Really good steak, big and nicely pink in the middle. Could have been rarer but flavour and texture were great. Lobster good too. Wine was lovely and great service, far too much food really and then a complimentary pudding at the end!Special Features:
- Worst service ever!7372jdjsjskDined on 7/19/2014My spouse and I sat down for dinner and ordered appetizers and our entree at the same time. She ordered salmon and I had the steak. After waiting for 25 minutes our appetizer finally came. After 45 minutes my spouse's salmon dish made it to the table. After waiting for over an hour my steak dinner finally came to the table. A family of 4 sat down 10 minutes after us. They ordered, had eaten and left. As they were leaving my steak was placed in front of me. A family of 3 sat down on the table next to us and was not given any attention for over 20 minutes. The service was very POOR!! The manager kept saying to me, your steak will be out in 2 minutes every 10 minutes that went by. Japengo was not busy at all. That was the worst service ever!!Special Features:
- Not happy at allmogumogusanDined on 7/19/2014We try new or never been there kind place. But this is not good place to recommend.... Sorry, we don't like their food.... It was my first time I could not finish my dessert!!!! That bad.... The waitress was nice but she never asked how we like for our steak. So, we had red meat! And we thought that their fish was not fresh. Hamachi was not good... Soooo sad after dinner. (All of us tried their kamaaina course menu)
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Food was excellent,......however,the hostess gave us the worst table in the resturanr....the hallway leadind to the pool and bar,could hear the ruckus from the pool area and waiter traffic to and from the bar. I got the feeling they don't get too much local customers,the first thing our waiter asked was where were we from?
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Happy Hour was great and my four year old asks to go back on a daily basis. It was very family friendly and food was enjoyable. I espcially enjoyed the Sake selection.Special Features:
- Delicious food; superb serviceBabydeerDined on 6/28/2014Food was delicious and service was friendly. The room's high ceilings and triple pane windows were lovely and brought in the light. The long cushion-covered benches along the walls were inviting and comfortable. Chef Matsubara's ability to pair local dishes with japanese cuisine is both comforting and exciting. Will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Sushi Date Nightgypsyfoodie411Dined on 6/9/2014The restaurant had been recommended by a friend so we thought we'd try it out. Well, we were not disappointed. Super fresh fish, delectable shrimp preparation and cocktails. It was quiet enough to have a conversation and close enough to the beach to take a stroll afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a pleasant experienceair2dxsDined on 6/6/2014Considering the class of the restaurant, the food and service was poor. In fact, we ordered three steaks Medium and all of them were over-cooked. We returned only one steak, however, because the food took so long to come out in the first place. Our waitress was very friendly but not very good at keeping our water glasses full and checking back periodically once we got our food. And the restaurant was not very busy. Some of the other reviews I saw rated the restaurant highly but that was not my experience... definitely would not go back.
- OverpricedfunfinediningDined on 6/5/2014Title says it all here. Wanted something light before the evening set in, food total for 1 app and 1 order of sushi was over $50. Ambiance was nice, service was good.
- DannymauiislanddreamDined on 6/3/2014One of the hottest restaurant hot spots in Waikiki! It's really a hidden secret in one of my old stomping grounds, across from "Canoes" Waikiki Beach Center in the Hyatt Regency Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japengo ExperienceKLovelyKDined on 5/31/2014Our experience at Japengo Restaurant was an amazing and unforgettable experience! Chef Jon Matsubara is a phenomenal Chef and the servers were very attentive and friendly. The food was exceptional and delicious and the service was very friendly and professional. The ambiance is fit for any ocassion and I highly recommend Japengo to anyone who wants to have a fun night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Birthdays!!JoleneDined on 5/30/2014Had my birthday there and Pam was our server! She is excellent and as well as the other staff. Friendly and fast!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/26/2014Wait staff very personal and nice. Manager walks around loudly trying to sell you their fixed price options which is sort of annoying. Otherwise delicious and a nice restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAPENGOmorikDined on 5/24/2014This restaurant is huge. We were seated in a very comfortable spot against the windows. There were many tourist and I could tell even locals were there to celebrate their birthday. We decided on the set menu and were surprised that there was a Kamaaina discount. The reason we revisited this restaurant is because last year we went for restaurant week and totally enjoyed the food. It's too bad that they wouldn't substitute the dessert, but we still enjoyed ourselves and will be back. The waiter made our visit even more fun. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japengo in Waikiki was OUTSTANDINGBennyDined on 5/23/2014The atmosphere was very relaxing. The staff, especially our waitress (I think her name was Cora) was very friend and terrific. Her suggestions were fabulous. The food was delicious. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!luv2workandplayDined on 5/16/2014I went late on a week night and the food was spectacular. The staff was amazing...especially at the sushi bar. It's inside the Hyatt and can be a little tricky to find but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KainakoloheDined on 5/11/2014Chef Jon out did himself! Our first time dining at Japengo's but definitely not our last! Thanks also to Robert who took such great care of us!Special Features:
- Mothers Day DinnerJaxRVIPDined on 5/11/2014This is the third time we dined at Japengo. The first two times we were really impressed with the food and service so we decided to go again for Mothers Day. The last two times the restaurant was really busy and the service was exceptional. Although our servers were very friendly, this time they were not at all that busy(lots of empty tables), but service was mediocre. Some of our drinks sat empty for long periods. One thing for sure though...The food is consistently delicious. Kudos to the chef!Special Features:
- Wonderful Service!LQA4Dined on 5/10/2014Cora was very warm and inviting. She was very friendly and patient. Loved how she used my name frequently and made us feel welcomed. Everything we ordered was delicious! Butteryaki scallops, 50/50 sushi roll, Unagi roll, Kids chicken bento, fried rice, hamachi and of course, the coconut creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 162 reviews are from the Japengo - Waikiki reviews archive.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2014We had read a positive review in the newspaper some time ago and thought we would try it. Not up to expectations. And high prices on drinks gave us pause (we forgot the Waikiki-factor).
- Tasting Menu was TerrifickaimukimomVIPDined on 4/15/2014What a good deal for some tasty food! The service was attentive. We enjoyed the desserts especially!Special Features:
- We traded.genkinsVIPDined on 4/7/2014Japango has some great food and great service. This was the first place we went to the night we landed after we got here form japan. The fish entres and apps were good. We also ordered the coconut creme brûlée was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chef & Restaurant in Hawaii!dyuen34VIPDined on 4/5/2014Truly the best dinner you can get in Hawaii. The chef, Jon Matsubara refined his craft in New York under Jean George and it shows. His expertise in the kitchen shines through. We had a special chef's tasting menu made especially of us. The taste of all the dishes were sublime. The dishes were original and executed to perfection! I would recommend this restaurant for anyone who wants top quality dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/25/2014Great food, service and ambiance. Don't forget to get the Scallop Butter Yaki. Melts in your mouth!!! Went with a group of 8. Perfect setting for a larger group. We will be back!Special Features:
- AWESOMEm9z1Dined on 3/21/2014This place MADE SURE as a local couple we were treated as if we were 1st time diners. The ambiance was PERFECT & the service was EXQUISITE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a terrific Sushi restaurantSFJoeVIPDined on 3/12/2014This Sushi restaurant is upscale in both prices and quality of product served since it caters to Japanese guests staying at the Hyatt Honolulu. It has terrific food and good service. I always gravitate to the sushi bar where I often meet other single guests at the hotel and can engage in interesting conversations. The scorched Hamachi is one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Great scallops n filet mignonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/5/2014Great scallops n filet mignon we also had the honalulu roll dr Delicious .. The waiter was a bit confused at times when we were asking about the menu. Otherwise overall great food n would eat there againSpecial Features:
- $49 Tasting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the $49 tasting menu and hope that you continue to serve this. We've been to others and yours is by far the best for taste and value. Even the complimentary glass of wine was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They know how to treat a "local"OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/4/2014My husband and I decided to go to Japengo, because first of all, it was our Anniversary, but mostly because we knew of chef Jon from two other outstanding restaurants. Well, we were treated like royalty the minute we got seated, and chef Jon did a "personalized" menu just for us with the best fresh sushi, and seafood that I have had in years, not to mention this yummy coconut dessert. From the bus help, server, manager to the kitchen, this was a fabulous dinner and we will go back again as soon as we can!Special Features:
- Good value!LovesYummyVIPDined on 3/3/2014We were celebrating Girls' Day, and decided to try Japengo. We generally avoid going into Waikiki because of the traffic, but since the newspaper write-up on the restaurant was enticing, we went there. A Kama'aina Tasting Menu was offered and it was very well put together. The hamachi appetizer was fresh and tasty, the seafood cioppino was excellent; but the filet mignon was a tad tough (which surprised me, since it was a filet), and I opted to take home the flourless chocolate bar since it looked heavy, although I did partake of the surrounding strawberries and cream and gelato----they were marvelous. The waiters were very attentive and non-intrusive. Noise level was moderate. All in all, it was a memorable dinner....5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for a small groupEJLOceanDined on 2/27/2014Japengo has great food and service. Super facility for groups of 8-12. They have nice fixed meni options which makes a group order pretty easy. If you are in Honolulu for business, take your group there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel food at its worstKauiDined on 2/22/2014First of all, it's impossible to find tucked into a far corner of the third floor. The hostesses at the door are very nice, but the decor is cold and feels dated, the menu is impossible to understand and the prices go from reasonable for the appetizers to $49 a la carte for Singaporean chili crab. There were some good looking entree plates passing by our table, but they seemed very expensive for the ambience of the room. The service was spotty and confusing. The whole place seems tacky and in a time warp.
- Great foodRed01Dined on 2/20/2014Difinitely would go back. Excellent food. Went back again before I left vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place for a romantic dinner6BestManDined on 2/19/2014The place felt warming, the food was outstading, the ambience was exactly what i was looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumm yumm yumm :)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2014Celebrated a birthday and was blown away! I ordered the 6 course menu and was completely satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day Disater.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014This dining experience DID NOT live up to the hype and my expectations. We paid $75 for a four course meal and decided to splurge on a $140 bottle of wine for a "romantic" Valentine's Day dinner. We were not through our appetizer before we heard dishes and silverware being slammed around in the kitchen. The live guitar player couldn't drown out the noise! The menu was not worth the cost. The best part of the night was the wine and my date doing his best to stay positive despite the offensive ambience. This restaurant will not have my business again.
- Went for the valentines dayKrisJordanDined on 2/14/2014Went for the valentines day special.. Great choice!! Everything was delicious and service was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day DinnerJaxRVIPDined on 2/14/2014We had a great time. The special pre-fix menu was awesome. I'm already looking forward to my next opportunity. Arnold our waiter was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.