J. Gilbert’s Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood - West County Center
17A West County Center Suite A102
Des Peres, MO 63131Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
J. Gilbert’s Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood - West County Center
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jgilberts.com/
- Phone: 3149654600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30am-3pm.
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 4-10pm & Sunday 4-9pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Verhny Avanzado
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-Site Catering is available
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are looking to host a large dinner party or a smaller group for a special celebration, J. Gilbert’s is the place! We specialize in making all your private events — business lunches and dinners, company functions, special celebrations, holiday parties and more — unique and unforgettable.
- Private Party Contact: Dawn Allen 3147242666x
- Special Events: Happy hour food and drink specials: Monday - Friday | 4pm-7pm | Bar only.
A word from J. Gilbert’s Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood - West County Center
J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips. The cozy atmosphere includes rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open daily for dinner & lunch. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
J. Gilbert’s Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood - West County Center - Best Restaurants in Des Peres ›
J. Gilbert’s Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood - West County Center reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)romantic (69)fit for foodies (48)notable wine list (38)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (17)great for outdoor dining (16)great for lunch (11)late-night find (9)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Consistently ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014This is one of our favorite places. The Swordfish special was fantastic, prepared and seasoned perfectly. We really appreciate the half-priced bottles of wine special on Sunday nights. The servers are very professional and courteous.Special Features:
- onederlandBringmebacksoonDined on 9/14/2014I came because I had a birthday coupon. I had never been there before. I will be sure to come back and tell all of my friends about my incredible meal!! I'm still thinking about it! I ordered the 4 oz filet (plenty with the rest of the meal), the specialty mushroom dish, baked potato and last, but far from least, it came with scallops cooked in browned butter. OMG, they were so delicious!!!! I shared my desert (creme brulee) with my boyfriend and it was delicious. Best meal I can remember having!! I can't wait to return!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodJoyceeDined on 9/13/2014Really enjoyed our dinner Saturday evening. We were celebrating my best friends 60th birthday and she and her husbands 42nd anniversary. We all enjoyed our dinner immensely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014We love the gin and tonics that J. Gilberts serve with the special bottled tonic. As usual our steak was cooked perfectly and my husband thought the pork chop was outstanding. We enjoyed the same great service.Special Features:
- Great - all aroundDurhamEatsDined on 9/2/2014From the moment you step in you say WOW! The restaurant (including the bathroom) is beautiful. The menu is small but covers everything you might want - making it hard to decide. Lunch for $12.50 included soup or salad, entree and a side. Wine by the bottle in 1/2 price on Sunday. This is going to be my go to place for a glass of wine on the way home. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafood and steakspaulajeanVIPDined on 8/31/2014The salmon entree is delicious, also the steak was perfectly prepared. Love the bread and butters also!Special Features:
- Awesome!BundyDined on 8/30/2014Always great food and service! We loved our meal. We were celebrating our anniversary and received a free dessert as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!DatenightoutDined on 8/30/2014This was my third time dining at J. Gilbert's & it is consistently superb. The steaks are prepared exactly as requested & very tender. Excellent service & ambiance is a perfect complement to this incredible dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerMoorediningDined on 8/29/2014Special occasion for my birthday. Food was great as always. I was a little disappointed in the spinach. It was not as good this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order problemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014the reservation was for 5 adults & 2 children, with the 10 yr old always ordering from the adult menu. One of the adults ordered scallops to be added to his steak order. The server forgot to do so. Food was great & steaks were proberly prepared at the required temperature, x-rare; medium-rare & medium. Deserts came with 2 of the orders, & as instructed the server brought additional forks & spoons so that everyone could share. Very expensive, but also a great place to eat for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsPatrickJWDined on 8/23/2014Very good food. Great for a special occasion, mainly because of the rather high prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FinddadofthreechesterfieldVIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I love to get out and try new local places. Though we knew this was a chain, we heard good things. From the second we walked in the door we were treated like we owned the place. Amazing service, outstanding food (I had the cajun filet). We will be back soon. The SpielbergsSpecial Features:
- Special OccaisonDanoDined on 8/23/2014went here for a birthday dinner. Service and food was outstanding. We had a coupon fro $20 off and they threw in a free desert for the birthday present.Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingDrJSTLDined on 8/23/2014We took a chance and booked a reservation for our anniversary. When we arrived my partner and I were treated with dignity, respect, and like we were special guests. It was a warm and inviting atmosphere with an older crowd. The food was the best I have had in St. Louis, since traveling to Las Vegas and dining at the top named chef restaurants. I could not believe how good the food was and we cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Consistently superb!YummEDined on 8/22/2014My friends and I are never disappointed when we choose J. Gilbert's. The quality of food is outstanding, service is consistently top-notch, and drinks are well-made. It's definitely a favorite!Special Features:
- Jandbgm014Dined on 8/22/2014great open table option. service, food, etc great.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014We celebrated our sons birthday last Sunday and we found the food excellent and the service impeccable. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- fabulousoceanDined on 8/17/2014impeccable service, delicious food - pricey but worth it. we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak and service at a priceBobbDined on 8/11/2014The steaks were fantastic, the wine selection was very good, and the service was outstanding. Enough variety for any steak lover. Celebrated a birthday in fine style. Good dining and good service comes with a price. We won't do this often, but we would come back!Special Features:
- J GIlberts Always Great!finefoodfanDined on 8/9/2014We've been several times and always loved it. Servers knowledgable, friendly and efficient. Great variety of choices. All good value, but especially the 3 course prix fixe menus, and our server let us switch out side dishes. Presentation was great, and all food excellent, and large portions. One veal chop was tough, and when our friend, who ate only half, casually mentioned this, our server immediately took it off the bill. Our only complaint is the noise level, which was quite high for us 'young seniors' in our 60s. But we'll happily go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak issueLovemysteakDined on 8/9/2014Everything was excellent but filet was ordered medium to medium well, a little pink. It arrived charred around the perimeter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!FrequentDinerDined on 8/8/2014Had never heard of J Gilberts before so I did not know what to expect. The service, the food, the choices were all excellent. A location that bills itself as a steakhouse that also had several, not just 1 or 2, but several very tasty vegetarian meals is a gem to find. My wife is a vegetarian and loved J Gilberts, she would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably not the best for the moneySalon1Dined on 8/8/2014The steak (bone-in strip steak) was a good portion size and very tasty. Veal chop small but tasty. The leg of lamb was awful. Didn't look good and didn't taste like anything. So order the steaks in a steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good neighborIcooktooVIPDined on 8/7/2014J Gilbert has an impressive ambiance with booths and tables,high ceilings and a separate bar area. The food was plentiful with a price fix that for a couple dollars more making it a bargain-salad, entree, two sides and desert. All were prepared perfectly and tasted nice.All and all it is a great place. The service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TommyTDined on 8/3/2014one of my favorite places, love the food and the Manhattans.Special Features:
- Only 1 thingIluvgoodfoodDined on 8/2/2014Everything was terrific except that the chef could not cook my son's steak to a medium temp. We sent it back twice and there was no change. Everything else was very good. My steak was cooked MR [as I wanted] and my wife loved the scallops and risotto. The service was excellent and the server & manager were attentive to our issue on the steak. The cheese cake for dessert might b the best in town. My recommendation for those of you who want your steaks cooked M is to ask for MW.Special Features:
- Service needs upgraderegularVIPDined on 8/2/2014J. Gilbert is focusing on its bar scene, which is by all reports good. But the dining area suffers. Servers rush out entrees when you are still on your appetizer or salad courses. While the food is still good, service suffers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014The food at J. Gilbert's was very good. The menu had a very impressive array of choices and combinations of steak and seafood. We plan to return.Special Features:
- Terrific Before The TheaterOdieDined on 8/1/2014We were in and out in seventy-five minutes for a pre-theater dinner. No rushing as we didn't mention we had a timetable. Just the normal course of excellent service and well prepared food. And, on a Friday night, too.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerMangohairVIPDined on 8/1/2014We came in to celebrate my birthday and were very pleased at the attention we recieved by our waiter Jason B. We were not rushed to order and he had suggestions for my particular food needs due to health issues. Definitely we will be back and recommend this restaurant to our friends!Special Features:
- Terrible Special Occasion VisitymtraderDined on 8/1/2014We visited for an anniversary.We liked the food in the past when it was a quiet,romantic type setting.This visit was TERRIBLE.I love kids but when there is a table with 2 screeching, crying kids when we walked in,we should of walked back out.We tried to wait it out but they stayed until the time we left.The whole time was loud enough that if you tried to speak to your dining partner, you had to raise your voice like trying to speak at a sports bar.I like sports bars but not on an anniversary.The food was ok, service was ok but we will not go back.There are plenty of choices in st louis where you can dine quietly with better food for your $.I gave the restaurant the benefit of the doubt and contacted them but never heard back. Not surprised.Special Features:
- Great Experience!ReedDined on 7/27/2014This is me and my husbands new special occasion spot. I recently took him for his birthday and they made him feel like a VIP. They greeted us with a warm and welcoming hello and had a birthday card ready for my husband. The food is excellent: my husband had the 8 oz filet w/ a lobster tail and I had the 4 oz filet with scallops, the service is excellent(the waiter was very attentive to our needs) and the ambiance is wonderful. This was our third time being there and nothing has changed since our first visit. We love the consistency with the food and service. I cannot say enough about this restaurant. We would highly recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedNoelDined on 7/27/2014Food was great. Prices good for the excellent steaks. Service very good. Had the three course fixed price menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliably enjoyable evening outRegularDinersDined on 7/26/2014We love to meet family and friends at J Gilberts. The food is always delicious and the service consistent. We enjoy knowing we can have a relaxing and enjoyable dinner every time.Special Features:
- Special Anniversary DinnerdlbrownDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I went to dinner at J. Gilbert's to celebrate 27 years of marriage. We had never been there and was well please with our selection for this special occasion. The service, food and atmosphere were wonderful! It was the upscale dining experience that we were looking for and would definitely recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceRowdyVIPDined on 7/25/2014The bar is very nice and the food was great. We were the last group to leave for the night but never felt pressured to leave. All in all a great place.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerMarkDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I had the filet and lobster tail combo special. My filet was stringy but my wife's was tender. For appetizer we had the calamari, surprisingly spicy with the jalapeno. The lobster was grilled and was a bit tough to cut, perhaps over cooked. String beans were excellent as were the Yukon gold potatoes. For dessert (free) we tried the creme brulee, the sugar topping was a bit over caramelized and had a burnt flavor. With wine and tip, the bill was just under two hundred. My wife and I were well dressed, but others were in shorts and had small children, typical of a mall food court.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014My girlfriend took me here for my birthday and it was great! Fantastic food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemTbokeDined on 7/10/2014This is one of my fav restaurants in St. Louis. We went with seven people, and everyone was impressed with the food. Love the shrimp! My husband and I go a lot on Thursday and sit at the bar. Great ambiance and sometimes half price bottle wine at bar on Thursday.Special Features:
- DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014Fabulous filet with wonderful flavor, perfectly tender. Wonderful service. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.