Il Fornaio - Sacramento
400 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Sacramento
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 9164464100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday : 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday : 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bruno Amato
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Retail Catering: When you can’t join us, Il Fornaio food will come to you! Catering services include: boxed lunches, pastries, sandwiches, salads or cookies platters and much more. Perfect for any social or business meeting. Call for delivery details and minimum order information (service charge applies). Planning a wedding or large corporate event? Full Service Catering is available at our Sacramento location. Authentic, award-winning Italian cuisine and our experienced catering staff can offer Five-Star service when handling all the details of your next special event.
- Cross Street: 4th Street
- Public Transit: Regional Transit stops one block over on 4th and L Street. Amtrack stops three blocks over on 4th and I Street.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Validated, complimentary parking available in private lot. Street parking and valet are also available.
A word from Il Fornaio - Sacramento
Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. Located in downtown Sacramento, this award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience and a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007 wine list. Enjoy wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made and imported pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Il Fornaio - Sacramento - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Il Fornaio - Sacramento reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (66)fit for foodies (59)romantic (55)good for groups (45)notable wine list (40)great for lunch (33)neighborhood gem (22)great for brunch (15)great for outdoor dining (12)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (9)scenic view (8)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- A Great Dining ExperiencefloydsterVIPDined on 10/21/2014This is an excellent restaurant in a very good location. Friendly greeter, excellent food and service all combine for a very pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful RestaurantDeniseDined on 10/14/2014The restaurant is beautiful, the staff is friendly and gracious, and the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Office MeetingJglenDined on 10/14/2014Fantastic food and service for our group of 14. Could not have asked. For better service and the food was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Took my friend for a very special occasion. She was very pleased! The ambiance is fabulous as well as the food. Our waiter was very charming and made sure we were well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my 40Th Birthdayfoodie4sureDined on 10/4/2014It was just the right place to Celebrate. The Food and the staff there were just excellent! The sang Happy Birthday to me in Italian ,it was just Beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saved By Experience!thereaderkatDined on 10/2/2014My partner and I reserved a table for a late week night dinner on our way to the Sacramento Airport. The young woman who seated us--at a tiny table for two next to the kitchen--clearly didn't realize that it was unlikely anyone else was coming in that evening. Our waitress did, however and asked if we'd be more comfortable in one of the empty booths which were in abundance. Once moved, we both agreed that we had thought it odd that we were seated where we were on first arriving, but neither of us was going to say anything since we did have that date with airport security. Once the table was straightened out, our waitress was great and the food is consistantly good at II Fornairo's whether Sacramento or San Francisco. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was excellent!ErickDined on 9/30/2014Service was great! Server's food recommendation was exceptional! Me and my wife always have a great experience every time we visit. At the end of the night my wife and I we're very satisfied from the over all experience :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouswinterDined on 9/28/2014Loved my ragu. My champagne was yummy and the strawberry tiramisu was scrumptuous .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014first time there and won't be our last! perfect evening! Our waiter was extra special! He really made us feel special!Special Features:
- Would Definitely Come BackMattiMattDined on 9/26/2014This was my first time eating at Il Fornaio and it was awesome. The food was great, the service was too notch, and the atmosphere was just perfect for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentaccordnguyVIPDined on 9/21/2014I normally frequent the Il Fornaio in Burlingame, which has great food, but a totally different ambience; it's more "Energetic". The manager was young and Italian who spoke Italian extremely well. Although there weren't many diners at 7:30, the server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent server. Horrible hostesspurpleretroDined on 9/19/2014I want to be clear that our waitress was amazing. She was really knowledge, personable, and attentive. The food was also delicious. The only downside was the hostess. I really wondered if she was high because it's hard to imagine someone could naturally be that slow and weird. We had a reservation for 7 pm and we arrived at exactly 7 on the dot. A group was walking in at the same time as us and said they had a 7:30 reservation but were there early. She decided to seat them first. We then stood for approximately another 10 to 15 minutes while she stared at us with a weird smile. We could see multiple tables open behind her! Then another girl came up and they had a little whispered conversation and we were finally seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Have been coming here for all of our birthday celebrations with our siblings, great spot!! Love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood find!squigsDined on 9/6/2014A very delicious relaxing evening! Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a place to eat in the area!Special Features:
- Great nightMelDDined on 8/31/2014We took our friends here for their 15th wedding anniversary .. It was very elegant, the staff was awesome, and the food was delicious! They also had an extensive gluten free menu to choose from. We are definitely coming back and would recommend Il Fornio to anyone..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotMeekoB94501VIPDined on 8/27/2014Menu was wonderful and the food was great although my veal was a little over done. Still good. Service was outstanding and was treated to a beautiful dessert for my birthday dinner. Terrific ambiance.Special Features:
- Perfect Anniversary DinnergoodfoodgoodwineDined on 8/22/2014We returned to Il Fornaio to celebrate our 27th anniversary and we're not disappointed. All requests had been perfectly set up to include Prosecco Maschio at the table upon arrival. The service throughout was superb. Francesco's attentiveness & professionalism was impeccable. And the food....! Simply outstanding from the fresh pasta primo piatto through the exquisitely grilled secondo, to excellent dessert. They even had Vecchia Romagna Italian brandy and Vin Santo available. Outstanding! A great evening. We lived in Italy for over two years and are always looking for authentic Italian cuisine and hospitality. Il Fornaio Sacramento is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravis! AgainCarajoMangareDined on 8/16/2014A taste of Sardinia was offered in the Passport program. Enough said? This program of preparing Italy's regional dishes is wonderful. You're not stuck with the adventure; you can enjoy the full menu, but the tastes are worth exploring. I've had all kinds of risottos, but this one was made with a longer grain, crab, fish, turnips and saffron dust! Good. And the maiale (pork) came out on a long bone, not a shank cut, adorned with a beautiful tomato ragu. There was enough to feed three people. Good. The only flaw was the ratio of vegetable to meat. They served gorgeous slim carrots and emerald green broccolini with pasta. More vegetables, please. The service was stylish and old world. In short, lovely and friendly. Wine & dessert, great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favoriteFestaDined on 8/15/2014I love Festa Regionale. It has made me a more discerning diner, and a better cook as well! I look forward to this every month.Special Features:
- Il FornaioOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our friends 31st birthday, and we wanted to take her somewhere nice. But this place didn't quite meet the expectations of a so called "fine dining" place. I'll keep it short and simple, food was terrible, service was good, and they have a great wine list. I've wine and dined in many places in Sacramento, but this was my least favorite. They either need to hire a new chef, or come up with a more delectable menu. The fish I ordered was way too fishy, even with all of that red tomato sauce on there. My friend had a horrible birthday experience, but luckily, my daughter enjoyed her chicken tenders and fries. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Fiesta Regionale DinnerHippocratesDined on 8/14/2014All the wines we tasted as part of the wine flight were worth the venture, and the lobster was delicious.Special Features:
- Amazing as usualDawnyNSacramentoDined on 8/13/2014Love, love, love Il Fornio. The food is amazing and the wine list is awesome. Next time I'm going to do the regional menu. Yes, we'll be going again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a nice date nightkjoycefulDined on 8/11/2014I've only been to this restaurant twice so far, once during their 4-6 pm happy hour and the second time for a nice dinner with the hubby. Both experiences were just lovely. The food was just great- everything tasted fresh and delicious, and the atmosphere is really nice whether you want a nice intimate date, or if you want to enjoy their happy hour special with some good company. Their hostesses and servers were friendly and very knowledgable, and we never felt rushed or neglected during our meals. We will definitely be back again to enjoy the delicious food and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalJavCPDined on 8/11/2014The food, the service, the attention to detail... All were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliably greatfrekwentdinerVIPDined on 8/10/2014Il Fornaio is extremely reliable for awesome food! So glad they are open Sundays-so few places are anymore. Bread was warm and soft. Salads fresh and cold and crispy. Caprese was excellent (though tomatoes did not taste like fresh picked tomatoes which are so plentiful this time of year. Maybe they were, but I've had better.) We got everything from fish to pasta to meat, and all was so superb. Dessert was also very good. They use high quality, real ingredients for all their food. Service was fine.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerBlueSpeedDined on 8/9/2014We go to Il Fornaio on special occasions, in this case on our anniversary. We sat right next to the kitchen because we like watching the chefs and waiters at work. Our waitress was excellent: knowledgeable and very attentive to our needs. The pace of the evening was relaxed as we like it but with no lulls between the courses. We had the dinner featuring dishes from Sardinia. The food was excellent as was dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prompt service and good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We were given a good booth and seated immediately. The waiters were prompt and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- refreshingTazzmomDined on 8/1/2014wanted to get out of the office and go somewhere close (walking distance) this fit the bill. Excellent service. would appreciate some additional options since I eat organic and limited amounts of meat. Would also have likes to sit out in the garden area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truely AuthenticonTheRoadDined on 7/30/2014I felt like I was back in Bologna, Italy! Waitstaff was very attentive when they needed and the Tagliatelle Bolognese was intense and served in a traditional portion. This meal was a true delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2014Consistently good food and good service. Menu usually has some variations which ar usually very good. I had a delicious pear stuffes ravoli with a gorgonzola cream sauce. very unique and very tasty
- Celebration in fine stylebebacksoonDined on 7/26/2014Our waitress greeted us in a friendly way, then helped us make wine and dining choices. The salad and entrees suited us well for a special birthday dinner. Service was outstanding with much care, but no hovering. Most memorable was the singing of the traditional birthday song==in Italian!Special Features:
- Great PlaceGfood9Dined on 7/19/2014Very enjoyable in every way. Great Italian food, wine, service, and place.Special Features:
- expensive?-yes, overpriced?- NOmriucdDined on 7/19/2014Love the food, service and location!!! I just told them what I had in mind and they told me they will take care of it!! the food was out of this world!! yes we left $ 80, but I felt full and satisfied for the next day!!! This will definitely be our go to restaurant for special occasions!!Special Features:
- Always Something NewRebeccaBonBonDined on 7/14/2014Our favorite part about this restaurant is the "Festa Regionale" menu. Each month they feature a different region of Italy with special dishes and wines, and the choices are consistently excellent. This is in addition to their regular menu so you can always get your favorites. The setting is very beautiful and the parking garage makes each visit simple and convenient. I also appreciate how graciously they accommodate my vegan diet.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014Excellent meal, as always! We dined off the regional menu selections and the dishes were delightful.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceHeathDined on 7/12/2014The pear ravioli was delicious and the veal tender. Service was excellent - never came close to running out of water and our waiter was prompt and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful regional menu .SugarsDined on 7/10/2014I loved the lamb ragu! Pleanty of menu choices to please everyone. Besides their regular menu, they have a menu that changes with a focus on different regions. Everything sounded great...it was hard to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpiderDined on 7/10/2014The best ambiance in Sacramento, a soaring room, well spaced tables, modest noise. European service, food to match. Excellent bread, lasagna that's world class.Special Features:
- Always Impressed!suzybeeDined on 7/10/2014I am always impressed with our dining experience at Il Fornaio. It is fine dining with a quiet, cozy atmosphere. The food is fabulous, cooked to perfection. Their service is superb. I always look forward to eating here and have never been disappointed. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- kendieDined on 7/5/2014We had a wonderful dinner.... had to leave for a play - but would have stayed longer for dessert and coffee.... and the easy relaxing european feel that we felt. Very happy. Try it - you will love it.Special Features:
- The following 1271 reviews are from the Il Fornaio - Sacramento reviews archive.