Grotto - Houston
Houston, TX 77027Neighborhood:
Galleria / Uptown
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Grotto - Houston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grottorestaurants.com/
- Phone: 7136223663x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday - Monday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Dinner menu available all day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ricky Cruz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Grotto - Houston
Inspired by classic Southern Italian cooking, Grotto features delicious veal, chicken, seafood and house made pastas – the signature Osso Bucco is not to be missed! The breath-taking décor features spectacular hand-blown glass chandeliers, whimsical murals and custom-made polished iron scrollwork. Wine connoisseurs will be impressed with the extensive collection of Italian and domestic selections. With our winning combination of impeccable service, superb cuisine and passion for detail, Grotto is the perfect location for Italian dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grotto - Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (60)good for groups (50)great for lunch (50)fit for foodies (32)hot spot (28)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (23)vibrant bar scene (21)kid-friendly (20)great for brunch (17)great for outdoor dining (15)notable wine list (12)late-night find (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great experience during HRWDcapDined on 8/31/2014A little too loud/crowded for me on a Sunday night, but the meal was great.Special Features:
- Wasted half hourKen1Dined on 8/30/2014I had an Open Table reservation for 4 at 7 PM in my name. When my wife and I arrived I gave the hostess my name and told her we were a reservation for 4. I asked if the other guests had arrived and was told they hadn't. We were seated. After 30 minutes I texted the other couple to ask what happened that they were already 30 minutes late and they told me they had been at Grotto for 30 minutes and were already seated. When they arrived they gave the hostess my name and asked if I had arrived and were told we hadn't. So there we were, sitting at different tables for 30 minutes. I asked to speak to the manager and his reply was he'd give us one complimentary appetizer to split (there we 4 guests). Open Table doesn't work at Grotto.
- a surprise findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I have seen the Grotto during many drive bys going to other restaurants or nearby businesses. It was defintiely not on my mind as I was trying to find a lunch spot near the Galleria. However the Google search of restaureants near the Galleria came up with Grotto as one of the prominent hits. Since I have not been there earlier I decided to give it a try. It was defintley worth the while. Firstly it was very spacious and had very good, upscale ambiance for a strip mall establishment. Adding to the pleasant surprise was the service and food. It was very well presented, every dish very tasty, with the waiters ever mindful of our needs. Based on the experience, Grotto will defintiely figure prominently on my list of goto's for business lunches.Special Features:
- disappointingLuv2dineDined on 8/23/2014The farwell salad was excellent. However the Pollo Arrosoto was coated in so much salt that it killed all other flavors. The spinach was obviously frozen and bitter. Waiter was inattentive.
- Second time aroundBobboDined on 8/23/2014This was my second time at the Grotto and the food and service both times was excellent. Plan on going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HRWSue4dessertDined on 8/16/2014Meals prepared beautifully; fish was perfectly cooked; chicken was great; desserts were delicious-great value, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- def not for kids. not romantic.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Did not understand the whole "cheese bar" thing. Didn't see anyone using it - just weird.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekVicreauxDined on 8/13/2014Good food for a good cause. We had the shrimp pasta and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time impressionpickyeaterDined on 8/12/2014It is a friendly place. We all like the soup and salads here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never coming backhoustonDined on 8/12/2014I didn't like it at all it is the rip off in food and prize also I didn't like the way you organize the happy hours only on the some specific small table , never coming back to this restaurant or recommend anyone
- Customer Service?HoustonwehavelandedDined on 8/12/2014Ordered wine for a specific year, didn't have and didn't tell presenting the bottle for another year. Manager had no customer service orientation when pressed for an explanation, younger wine same price, too bad. Next selection didn't have the year. 2008 was a good year vs 2006 for wine, really? no explanation on price being the same,chianti 2006 versus 2008. If you list years then have the wine or a strategy to deal with it. Finished the appetizer server asked us if we wanted coffee and started to remove tableware before we had even had the main course served because she thought we were finished. Chicken overcooked; pasta advertised as rigatoni was penne. Point card that was $ for $ gave 79 for $268 b4 tip. Better choices in Houston
- Consistently good....BacchusBudDined on 8/10/2014Grotto has been a 'go-to' for us for years. Food is consistently very good, and if there ever is a reason not to like something, they will handle it well. Don't expect quiet and cozy, it's tight-tabled and lively. The outside seating is cozy as well, but next to a parking lot and Westheimer - enough said. But, if you want a great lunch, easy dinner or an anytime snack, their menu is diverse and all very tasty. Even their pizzas are excellent, as are some 'standards' like spaghetti bolognese. But go for some of the special items and the menu, and you won't be disappointed. Wine list is reasonably diverse, but the best bottles are often picked over (meaning, gone!).Special Features:
- Grotto/Westheimer - GREAT!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Food was outstanding, surpassed only by outstanding service! Bartenders make great drinks! Miguel Rosas was our waiter and was terrific!Special Features:
- Won't be back...BeckyDined on 8/8/2014Went there last Friday (8/8/14) and had 6 in my party. Granted it was during Restaurant Weeks, but the service was probably the worst I've ever had. I had to beg for menus, practically trip someone passing our table to take drink orders and then round him up again for our dinner orders. The food was over-cooked & not hot, presentation was not at its best and the noise level was insane. Our friends really like this place and go often, but my husband and I will not be back for dinner. Perhaps sometime for lunch.Special Features:
- seating too crowdedBJMCDined on 8/8/2014tables are too close together, can't even walk down the aisle without bumping into chairs. Too loud for conversation and sitting too close to next table for any privacy. Also we had reservations but had to wait for our table.Special Features:
- I really like this place!TXDCBevoDined on 8/6/2014This is one of the places you can't go wrong. It is nicer than many chains, it has great service, good food, good portions, not too stuffy but yet elegant enough to where you feel good! I love this place and La Griglia. I have never had a bad experience and I can go back anytime. That is a good sign of consistency.Special Features:
- Excellent food; service not so muchMRLNDined on 8/5/2014The food was excellent but where we sat was very noisy and we wanted to have a romantic dinner and with the waiter coming and going and filling our wine glasses every time we took a sip; the waiters hanging out around our table and chatting in spanish which I understand and they were not saying nice things; the hostess kept scolding the bus boys; it was difficult to carry a conversation; the ceiling made it echo weird so that I heard exactly what the host was whining about to the service staff from where I was sitting. Too bad the service could ruin the excellent food and wine choices they have here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014Fantastic food, fantastic service. One of the best meals I have ever had. We are going back soon again.Special Features:
- Convenient fun diningHoufoodieDined on 8/4/2014Great spot for a quick business lunch or meeting a good friend. Food consistently good and good service too.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerdiningforfunDined on 7/31/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday at the Grotto for three basic reasons. His favorite foods are: Wine, Seafood and Pasta. We were able to satisfy all three of his culinary cravings extremely well at the Grotto. We had a party of four and each of us ordered a different entrée, but everything from the pre-dinner bread to the exquisite desserts was exceptionally well prepared. Our waiter was attentive to our needs and the service, while a little slow, was overall very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UfnforgetableWalkingKDined on 7/29/2014Took a very special friend who I had not seen in several years. We both truly loved our experience at Grotto's. Will recommend to all our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and confortable placeSlashVzlaDined on 7/22/2014Excellent food, nice place and good service. The pasta is real good and fresh made. We order some excellent deserts and Italian espresso coffee is good too.Special Features:
- GrottoTimmyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Attentive and knowledgeable service plus innovative dishes makes Grotto a Galleria area favorite of mine.Special Features:
- Never disappointedKelliDined on 7/19/2014Have been eating here for 15 years. NEVER disappointed. Great staff, food, ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grotto does Not fake the funkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2014Good food along with excellent service (Marco). He was very caring and concerned that everything was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to eat in HoustonDasAutoDined on 7/16/2014Great place to eat in Houston and conveniently located in the Galleria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Great food, atmosphere could be better, it's more a casual family setting than a romantic dinner type place. If you are sensitive to ambient noise, this place may bother you. The room wasn't full but the noise was pretty loud. I had to raise my voice to talk to my date. I had one of the sausage pasta dishes, and it was wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealNormVIPDined on 7/12/2014Always a great meal anmd the waiters really take great care of you in every detail.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsWildBillDined on 7/10/2014I have eaten at Grotto 5-6 times, mostly at this location and have never been disappointed. The Antipasti bar is always great, although we passed in favor of dessert this time. They have a good wine list with many options under $50 and the service was attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- So so.MarkCVIPDined on 7/9/2014Live near the Galleria and I'm in Galveston often. The Grotto in Galveston is far better than the Galleria location.
- Excellent!jjurassic210bcDined on 7/7/2014I took my entire department to this place and everyone absolutely loved it! The service was top notch. I highly recommend Alfredo as your waiter. He's one of the best I've ever seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Service was very slow. Waiter was assigned too many tables with childrenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GottaeatDined on 7/4/2014Live in San Antonio we love eating at Grottos, the food is very good, what's the chance of putting one in SA we could use a Grottos here!Special Features:
- Great pastaJackDined on 7/4/2014Good place for nice pasta dishes. Several varieties, all of them good. Very friendly service.Special Features:
- Great food, better service!CoffeePunkDined on 7/2/2014I think other restaurants could take a page from Grotos play book! The waiter was fantastic! What was even better, was while he was super busy, he would come back just to pour our water for us. The other staff worked together with him, so you never went without! Food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceluv2eatVIPDined on 6/30/2014The food was delicious. We had chicken which was delicious and the service is always impeccable with Rafeal. The wedding cake and all of the cakes and pies are fantastic.Special Features:
- LOUD PARTY NEXT TO USRebeccaVIPDined on 6/28/2014There was a loud party dining next to us. They were disruptive to several smaller parties sitting close to them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fave Restaurant StillSpiderrollerVIPDined on 6/27/2014Seating was 20 minutes after reservation, but they gave us some free pizza appetizers. We had a party of 10 so we had to wait until certain parties left so they could put together some tables.Special Features:
- A Great EveningPaulie1VIPDined on 6/27/2014Simply a great evening. The food was very good, but the service was great. Our small special request was honored. The wait staff was very attentive. We arrived inutes before our reservation and were promptly seated. After dinner we were not rushed to leaveSpecial Features:
- Great Birthday LunchCyndee99Dined on 6/24/2014I had an awesome birthday lunch with my boss and coworkers. Food was fabulous.Special Features: