1451 Washington St.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegreatmaple.com/
- Phone: 6192552282
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Carmine Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Speak to General Manager it based on a case by case basis.
- Entertainment: Food Boards run through the room... Yes. Cool
A word from Great Maple
We Serve Dinner, Lunch, Brunch and Weekday Breakfast. We are a "European Dinette" featuring seasonal fare, fresh house made pies, and local produce cocktails. We have a full bar and a social wine list. Outdoor dining, counter bar, food bar, and full room dining. Cocktail cart for special cocktails and tostas delivered on a 7 foot board. CheersContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Great Maple - Best Restaurants in Hillcrest ›
Great Maple reviews from OpenTable diners
324 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (219)great for brunch (217)neighborhood gem (208)great for lunch (124)hot spot (100)good for groups (98)kid-friendly (85)great for outdoor dining (81)special occasion (76)romantic (19)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (14)notable wine list (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Checkin' out The MapleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Overall, I thought it was a nice brunch place. Really crowded, so definitely make reservations or try to go during the week. I don't think I would go back. Just too much noise and people everywhere! Also there's only one bathroom for each gender, so you might get stuck waiting in line.Special Features:
- Great service, quality foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014It was very good. I even ended up not liking my dish and they were more than happy to bring me another. I hate asking for that but the server was really cool about it and even felt bad because she had influenced my first order. Satisfied with great service!Special Features:
- Wonderful as always!emlakeDined on 8/30/2014My friends and I hadn't seen each other in a while, so when we thought of a great place with great food and service, we immediately thought of Great Maple. Leslie, our server, was fantastic with her suggestions. We come often as this is the 1 place in town where we know we can't miss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusyLouisaDined on 8/30/2014I've eaten at Great Maple about 6 times. I've always liked it, but this time the service was incredibly slow, despite the fact hat we arrived before the dinner crowd. And one of the wines listed on the wine list was not available! But I'll go back anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to eateryMegdenverDined on 8/30/2014We looked for a brunch place new Hillcrest and ended up coming to the Great Maple everyday after we discovered it until we had to head back to Denver. We fell in love with the food - the Lolliwaffle, the French toast log, and the BLT sandwich. The service was not only impeccable but the kind of homey niceness that makes you want to return over and over. Goodbye Snooze!Special Features:
- My favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014I'd heard about Great Maple from from friends for a while prior to trying it. I've been there a half dozen times now. My first time there, it earned the ranking of my favorite brunch spot and each time I'm there it gets even better. Fantastic food, great drinks, friendly attentive service and the most amazing maple bacon donuts for an appetizer. It's a must-try if you haven't been there yetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014This place exceeded my expectations. Had a deconstructed popover that was divine - yum. Had a drink that didn't quite go with my breakfast so they replaced it immediately no questions asked. Brought citronella candles to keep away the flies, checked on us often but didn't rush us. Great decor, great music. The only thing that wasn't a 5 star experience was having to wait in line for the single stall bathroom. Luckily the other ladies in line were super nice and we chatted it up the whole time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious neighborhood gemfoodloverVIPDined on 8/27/2014Great Maple is inventive, creative and delicious! Parmesan crusted popovers are not to be missed! Everything is artisanal, super fresh and we all loved it. Best steak tartare I've ever had!! On a side note, they have a parking lot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot donutsDavidDined on 8/26/2014Started dinner with one of their many great cocktails. Next was a Caesar salad which was better than most, but not the best, then moved onto the seared scallops which were perfection. The maple bacon donuts lived up to the hype, a stack of three freshly made donuts drenched in hot maple frosting with bits of thick bacon. One was more than enough per person, but the others traveled well. Our waitress was attentive and very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchIce75Dined on 8/24/2014The overall experience was very good. However, the service was slow and our water was never refilled. The taste of it, also, was indicating that it was coming directly out if the tap. Lastly, the bar should not be cleaned and reorganized at the end of the Brunch shift. Food was really good and we are looking forward to go again for dinner! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?DandyandyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The noise level was excruciatingly loud making a conversation impossible. The room was so criwded diners at tables in the room were constantly being jostled by the servers dashing by, adding to the atmosphere for a circus. While my pole ta with chorizo appetizer was beyond spectacular, my main course, mussels, came out as steak tartare! So my dinner partner and I ate I shifts. When the mussels came out 10 minutes later, there were fully 10 unopened mussels, approximately 1/3 of the order. The frittes were so heavily salted they made MacDonald's fries seem bland. The waitress did, on her own, reduce my dish by 50% on the check, but by that point we couldn't wait to escape the din into the cool and QUIET air.
- Filling and Delicious!CaitieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Aside from the extra 30 minute wait we had despite making a reservation (and then sitting our party at two round tables pushed together) the food here was really good. Lots of interesting (but large and filling!) dishes to choose from. Next time I come I would probably split a dish with someone and maybe try more appetizers. There was a little damper on the experience from the beginning, though, because we weren't seated until 30 minutes after our reservation time and we had to wait and watch a table linger after they had already paid their bill. I understand you can't force a table out of the restaurant, but maybe next time save a little more space in between reservations so you don't have a large party waiting around getting hungrier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed but goodSFFOODIEDined on 8/23/2014When you make enough room for an informative review, I will write one.Special Features:
- ExcellentMarcnValDined on 8/18/2014Everything was perfect! Food, service is awesome! Will definetely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food @ Great MapleJerryODined on 8/18/2014Wonderful addition to San Diego dining. New twists on old favorites and interesting new additions. Love the vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend brunch gem!AgnieszkaDined on 8/17/2014Boy am I glad that we made a reservation. If we hadn't the wait was over 1 1/2 hours. If we had to wait that long, I think we wouldn't have been able to enjoy our brunch. Luckily we were able to eat right away. There was a great selection of food choices on the menu. It gave us all something different to eat. I wish they had bottomless mimosa's. One major negative is there's only one women's restroom and one men's so you might be in line in the hallway waiting. The restroom is really large so they could make two stalls if possible. Our server was attentive, polite, and spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Brunch is super cracking. Total 180 for dinner service. Bacon maple donuts should be on everyone's want list. Also feel like their breakfast dishes are better than their dinner dishes.Special Features:
- Doesnt get much betterKevinDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I love this place. All the servers are genuinely nice people and the food is great. We took guests from out of town here and they loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always impressedcozeckDined on 8/12/2014Each time I walk Into the Great Maple I know I'm in for a spectacular meal. This is comfort food with the volume turned up. For instance their "Panchetta Parmesan Polenta" is comfort food at it's best. They have a unique menu that will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maple bacon donut.. WHAT?!?Maserati92101VIPDined on 8/10/2014The food and service were worth the small wait. We were going to pass on the donut but decided to try it. It was fantastic! A must experience! The scramble was also very good. Now I get why this place is popular!!Special Features:
- Loved it.PacloDined on 8/10/2014Amazing food! My favorites: the doughnuts and the scarmble melts.Special Features:
- First time at The Great MapleGarciasDined on 8/10/2014Ambiance and food were outstanding. Service was pretty slow and the atmosphere was pretty loud, we pretty much had to yell across the table at each other. (But then again, it was Sunday during brunch so it was packed)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Disappointing experience. While the food was good (especially the maple bacon donuts), the service was very slow and we rarely saw our waiter. We also had a reservation, but still had to wait 15 minutes and did not get a table outside as requested. Instead we go a tiny table behind the hostess stand. The quality of the food does not make up for the lack of service , probably won’t be back.Special Features:
- GoodSPRWMNINTRNGDined on 8/10/2014Try to make reservations otherwise you could be waiting in line for awhile. Good service and food - our party shared chilaquiles, pb silver dollar pancakes, maple bacon donuts, brisket popover, beignets and a flatbread. A good sampling of everything but I think next time I'll try something on my own to enjoy the full plate - I just had bits and pieces of everything so I really couldn't devour any one thing. Overall, pretty good. It was warm in there too - we were all glistening - lol - but I'm sure it's not a problem in the cooler seasons.Special Features:
- Another great meal at Great MapleAllyinSDVIPDined on 8/9/2014We recently celebrated a birthday at dinner at Great Maple. Great food as usual, and our server was wonderful. Really funny and very knowledgeable about the food and drinks. Would not hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!GreenEyedGirlDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is one that I plan to visit again and again. Wow! My family and I were here for a celebration and found the menu and service to be amazing! We only wish there were more seating and a way for better acoustics to reduce the noise level... it was too loud the entire time. As well, there is very limited parking. Otherwise, what a great neighborhood place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch with Friends & KidsGillianDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I have been here many times, and invited our friends and 2 kids (6 mos. and 3 yrs.) to join us for brunch last Saturday. Great Maple was very accommodating and we had a great corner table outside with plenty of room for the stroller. Crayons and a paper menu for the little one to stay entertained. Delicious food. Our waiter was very friendly and accommodating of our somewhat slow-to-get-it-all-together party (hard to do with 2 kids and parents eating in shifts while trying to keep a baby from meltdown status!). We had a great time and all thoroughly enjoyed our meal selections. We'll always come back here... every meal has been phenomenal. Thanks again Great Maple!Special Features:
- Wonderful Breakfast!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014It's true! Maple bacon donuts are amazing! I admit, I was reluctant, but thus was my second visit and I'll be back. The scrambles are innovative and oh so tasty. This place is hopping, so we were grateful to have reservations. Even though they are incredibly busy, the service both times was warm and friendly. And we never felt rushed. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food not the best serviceGoodfoodbadserviceDined on 8/8/2014I only give this place 4 stars mainly because our server wasn't a great server at all. She seemed awkward unfriendly and unwilling to help us out. I never usually write reviews, but once we left our servers attitude left an impression on us and felt like I needed to. Other than that the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findAndresDined on 8/7/2014I'm a frequent visitor to this restaurant and it never disappoints. You can always count on good food, great service, and a reasonable price!Special Features:
- Out of towners pleasedChaunceyDined on 8/7/2014Brought a group of five, out-of-town friends and a baby for an early dinner. Everyone enjoyed their meal and tried something new! Some menu items (ingredients) required Googling but the server was knowledgeable and helpful. They even made steamed veggies for the baby. Disappointed that the tasting boards didn't make an appearance at all during the time we we're there. Maybe it only happens after 7?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not worth priceOverpricedVIPDined on 8/7/2014While I did enjoy some of my food's taste, the amount of fish on my sandwich was skimpy at best and definitely overpriced at $16 likewise for the great portobello mushroom fries at $12 for 6 of them. $2 per fry?!Special Features:
- MapleMarieDined on 8/7/2014No maple, even the "maple syrup" wasn't maple. Disappointed :(Special Features:
- Intriguing MenuPasadenaDiDined on 8/6/2014First visit was for breakfast. My husband loved his dollar pancakes and bacon side. The brioche part of my brioche french toast was delicious, but was floating in a lake of smoky maple syrup and studded with syrup-laden bacon pieces that had lost their crispness due to the sticky coating. Way too sweet for me and would not order again. That said, we will definitely return for both breakfast and lunch (or brunch, as the restaurant appears to make no time distinction and both share the same menu). Atmosphere is friendly, booths and are tables spaciously arranged, and reservations can be made 7 days a week during any time frame, which is a real plus for a popular place. Eager to try dinner and the restaurant's daily pie special, too.Special Features:
- Almost perfectMatt1856RyanDined on 8/5/2014Amazing food and very, very good service. I had to get the maple bacon donuts and they did not disappoint-they were amazing. All of our food was fantastic and the service was great. Overall, a fantastic night that did not disappoint. One note.....a touch pricy-more than we expected to pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GordonDined on 8/4/2014Delicious turkey burger! The favors were amazing! Others ordered Cobb salad which was beautiful and delicious, as well as a simple green salad grilled chicken that also got rave reviews. One person at our table just wanted a basic "egg and bacon" breakfast and that, too, was cooked to perfection! The presentation of all dishes was very pleasing to the eye. I will definitely return for another meal!Special Features:
- Feeling Piggy?JamesDined on 8/3/2014This is the place to go if you like bacon. The best bacon maple doughnuts ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressed!CMSD858Dined on 8/3/2014Very impressed! What an awesome place for brunch! This was my first time and I will be going back. I would recommend making a reservation through Open Table. If you don’t expect to wait! They do provide free coffee while you wait. I order the Shrimp and Polenta and my friend ordered the Smoked Bacon Scramble Melt; food presentation was beautiful but tasted even better! Highly recommend Great Maple!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday BreakfastTheEmptyNestDined on 8/3/2014Glad we booked a reservation to celebrate a birthday breakfast. Got seated right away at a patio table (although parking was a little challenging.) It was hard for the four of us to choose what to eat because there were lots of sweet and savory options! Something for everyone whether you are limited to "healthy" options or want to go for it and calories are not an issue. Everything was delicious from the coffee to the Honey Buckwheat and Blackberry pancakes to the egg whites served with grilled bread and avocado. Excellent service in spite of being a very busy Sunday morning.Special Features:
- What to say...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/3/2014...this place is amazing. This was our 3rd trip for brunch...it has not let us down...at all! I have now had a decent sampling of the menu and have been pleased across the board...my emerging favorite, other than the maple bacon doghnuts, is the Pigs in a Blanket!Special Features: