135 South Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gravyraleigh.com/
- Phone: 9198968513x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon- Fri: 11:00AM-4:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Brent Hopkins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We're now offering group catering! Please call the restaurant at 919.896.8513 for more information.
- Special Events: For information regarding private dining, please contact us at email@example.com or 919.896.8513.
A word from Gravy
Ask any Italian-American what ‘gravy’ is, and they'll tell you it's the pasta sauce that their mothers and grandmothers cooked fresh every night. At Gravy Restaurant we take the same care, preparing our signature sauce every day using select tomatoes and locally grown herbs. The heart and soul poured into the preparation of traditional Italian-American dishes pairs with inspired modern twists and a focus on seasonal ingredients to define Gravy’s unique approach to this classic cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Gravy - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Gravy reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)neighborhood gem (87)special occasion (63)romantic (59)hot spot (40)notable wine list (36)good for groups (33)great for lunch (27)great for brunch (15)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (9)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (5)Show More
- gravylindaVIPDined on 8/26/2014Loved it. Really great time food was delicious. We will come back and recommend to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firestorm126Dined on 8/24/2014We went during Raleigh Restaurant week since we'd been wanting to go for awhile. Everything was very good!Special Features:
- Lacking Good Italian Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We visited during DTL Restaurant Week which we always use as a method to try new restaurants in the area. I think this is a great opportunity for restaurants to bring in new clientele and wow them with service to bring in new business. Gravy certainly did not do that! We sat in the cellar area. Our server lacked energy and enthusiasm and almost seemed annoyed to be at work. He neglected to mention anything about the regular menu, restaurant week menu or even try to suggest wine, beer etc. To me, service makes a restaurant experience and this was severely lacking at Gravy. There were multiple occasions where our water glasses stood empty. The lasagna was very salty and the chicken pesto was swimming in oil and lacked any flavor dimension.
- Great foodbrightdiverDined on 8/24/2014Just love the food and service. Eggplant pie is fabulous. Came during restaurant week and was delighted.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday DinnersdreeseDined on 8/24/2014I chose to have my birthday dinner with my family at Gravy. It was amazing! The best calamari I have ever eaten. It melts in your mouth. Their gravy is delicious with a deep tomato and garlic flavor with just the right amount of spice. I love their lasagna and this was not the first time I have eaten it, it's why I came back to Gravy. You can't go wrong. Wine list is great, I didn't have wine this time but have in past visits. I find that the wine choices pair very well with the food. Our server was exceptionally friendly and accommodating. My son is lactose intolerant and she was happy to make sure his choices were adjusted for his needs. Such a great neighborhood place that is upscale enough for foodies and professionals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinearoundVIPDined on 8/23/2014Intimate local restaurant. The service was attentive and well versed on menu items.Delicious cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014went for a date night and it was amazing! great place to have a date night and the food was outstanding!! also their specialty cocktails were awesome!!Special Features:
- Gravy ReviewReviewByKatieDined on 8/22/2014We absolutely love this place. The food is fantastic, and the service couldn't be better.Special Features:
- YUMaeb14Dined on 8/20/2014Went to this place for a mid-week date night. The food and wine was very delicious and great service. My food actually came out a little cool and they brought me out a compete new dish. They went above and beyond what I ask for and the food was worth the wait of the new one! A great place to for a date and relaxed atmosphere. I will be visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FanTASTIC Experience!table42Dined on 8/20/2014We visited during Restaurant week, and while it was busy, the service was EXCELLENT and prompt! The food was AMAZING! The Lasagna was TO DIE FOR and the Fried Risotto balls were a decadent treat! My friend got the Gnocci and that was FABULOUS, as were the Chicken Pesto, chocolate torte, & Peach Panacotte!! A definite MUST! We will most certainly visit again!!!Special Features:
- chuckDined on 8/20/2014Very good selection of menu/food and wine items. Plate presentation very eye appealing and food is tasty Salad, entree and dessert is too much of a meal: entree and dessert could be split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phoenixDined on 8/20/2014The rice balls were delicious but the my entrée (chicken with presto) was only okay. It was something I could easily make at home. My husband got a seafood dish and said that was also only okay, but he did like his ceasar salad. The service was not very good.
- Excellent for the pallettePov3Dined on 8/18/2014The food at Gravy was excellent. Each member of my family ordered something different for each course and we all shared a taste. My husband of 26 years--who never shares his meal--actually wanted the rest of us to taste how good his dish was! EVERYTHING was truly wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go again in a heart beat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014My wife and I tried Gravy as part of the downtown Raleigh restaurant week. She is a lover of Italian food (I enjoy it very much as well) and has been wanting to go for quite some time. We thought this was the perfect opportunity. We were thoroughly impressed with the food, the service and the atmosphere. We will absolutely go back to Gravy. I highly recommend the Risotto Balls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food not great foodElonNCDined on 8/17/2014Tried this spot after reading reviews on TA. The food was good but not exceptional.
- Good RestaurantMarinemomDined on 8/16/2014This was our first visit to your restaurant and can say we were not disappointed. We plan to return with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMLizTVIPDined on 8/15/2014went here for the first time and loved it! you must try to risotto balls! delicious!Special Features:
- Not so GRAVYGoodGrubDined on 8/14/2014First opportunity to try out the Gravy restaurant. I had heard good things about it. However, the service was bad, the choices were minimal, the portions were small and pricey, although I did enjoy the raviolli (what little there was on the plate, anyway). Don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.
- Great experience!Crystalw1978Dined on 8/13/2014We always enjoy Gravy, but this time, we were bringing our toddler. We were a little worried. But it went great. Staff was so helpful and the food was great.Special Features:
- Great food and peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014Some of the best food I've had in rsleigh, great prices, and great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!BenjaminDined on 8/10/2014mazing local and fresh Italian. Truly something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Brunch on SaturdayDarrylVIPDined on 8/9/2014My family and I drove all the way downtown in the rain, and parked in the parking deck, because we wanted breakfast food to find out that Gravy does not serve brunch on Saturday, even though it is clearly advertised on Open Table. Because of all the trouble to get there and the pouring rain we remained and ordered off the lunch menu. Food was good, but just not what I wanted.
- Always ExcellentlivetoeatDined on 8/8/2014You will never go wrong with Gravy. Last night I had the Gnocchi special. It was amazing! An under-rated part of Gravy is the wait staff. The young men and women who work their take pride in what they do. My measure of a great server is they get what you need when you need it without hovering. They also know when to let a conversation finish before coming over to ask questions. And they are still extremely efficient. These all apply to the wait staff at Gravy! Just a great place to eat all the way around. It's my go to restaurant when I get to downtown Raleigh. That's not to say there are not other very nice restaurants. But I know I can count on Gravy every time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and our waitress wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014especially nice. My son enjoyed his 19th birthday dinner very much.Special Features:
- So disappointedBudgetmomDined on 8/6/2014I never post negative reviews, but this time around it's warranted. We went on a Wednesday, early evening. I've been several times for a great lunch but not for dinner. Our appetizer (meat and cheese platter) came out with burnt bread. My salad barely had any lettuce (it was chock full of croutons though). The kitchen was laughing amongst themselves and the co 2 was broken at the bar and they were noisly trying to fix it. The dessert had too much mint that took over the other flavors. And come to find out, they didn't even "check" us in when we said we had a reservation, and I got an email saying I was a no-show from open table. There are too many great restaurants in downtown Raleigh; this won't be on our list for future dinners.
- Busy little bit of ItalyYummersDined on 8/1/2014I traveled to Italy once. It was a wonderful culinary experience. Since returning home I have dreamt of tasting its cuisine again. Gravys Chicken Parm took me back. The pasta sauce is fresh and sweet and the chicken was moist.A true treat. My server suggested an excellent wine that I will soon add to my cabinet. Cons: The city atmosphere is present in this small 15 table restaurant. When packed out, like last night, it is cramped and noisy. Not a kid friendly spot. My one year old seemed like an after thought, they do not offer chilrens menus, but offer children sized portions for kids. My srever was knowledgeable, the food and wine succulent, Overall a delightful culinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique + delightful dining at GravyMendicantDined on 8/1/2014I have been to Gravy several times now, with my wife for a romantic dinner or with the whole family. Each time, we have tried something new, and the flavors do not disappoint. Some highlights include the calimari, gnocchi, meatballs, and of course "gravy", which is an uber-flavorful and slightly spicy sauce they pride themselves on. I recently discovered that Sitti, next door, is owned by the same owner. We will have to give that a try too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good gravykdrtoonaVIPDined on 7/31/2014Excellent dining location for fresh takes on all your favorite Italian fair. Menu is changed often enough to give you new experiences almost each time you go or they have a selection of old standards. Great staff, great drinks. Fun time all aroundSpecial Features:
- Great foodLisaNCDined on 7/26/2014Great food and service will recommend to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated.DateNightDinerDined on 7/26/2014I'm not a huge fan of gravy, as I prefer broth and wine sauces on pasta dishes, but after eating here maybe a year ago and enjoying it, we decided to go back. It was not nearly as good as we remember. I got the bolognese; my husband had the lasagna. Both of us were disappointed. All I could think about the taste of mine was "Chef Boyardee" and "Olive Garden is so much better for half the cost." Besides that, if you are not a big pasta person but are with someone who is, you are just out of luck. The menu lacks sufficient non-pasta choices that other Italian restaurants provide for those who prefer something else while our pasta-loving friends partake of noodle-based dishes. Overall, it was very disappointing. No plans to return.
- Gravy ReviewPhoodPhreakDined on 7/24/2014This was our first visit to Gravy. We were seated promptly and our waiter was very attentive. The food was really good and the portions were ample size. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food and service was absolutely great! We also got our food very fast and was in and out of the restaurant in an hour. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone and am planning the next time I can go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful findAnniversaryDinerDined on 7/19/2014We went to Gravy for our wedding anniversary after hearing great reviews from friends. We were not disappointed! The food was delicious, service was excellent and we loved the atmosphere in the restaurant. We will definitely go again!Special Features:
- Very nice eveningMCfoodieDined on 7/18/2014We went here for our Anniversary. Food was excellent. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something was different...LadentonVIPDined on 7/17/2014This was one of our favorites, but our most recent experience was not up to the standard that we remembered. The gravy was still amazing, but everything else feel short. Portion sizes have diminished greatly and we were left unsatisfied. Really sad to see this one fall off of our favorites list...
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014I'm a big italian food fan and Gravy far exceeded our expectations! The lasagna and bolognese were to die for and they have a fabulous wine list. We cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations, Disappointedjmk04eDined on 7/12/2014Gravy was recommended to us by friends and we saw all the great reviews online.Let me start by saying that the staff, especially our waiter was excellent. We started with the calamari appetizer, which was good, I would order it again.We were really looking forward to the garlic knots since they were highly recommended. They were okay. It was just bread soaked in olive oil, there was no garlic on it at all. My husband ordered the steak special of the day (to be cooked medium) and I ordered the eggplant pie for the meal. The steak was severely over cooked and the meat was inedible it was so tough. The eggplant pie was good,a little on the salty side. The waiter took the appetizer off our bill for my husband's meal and gave us a free dessert.
- Great as UsualUNCGRLDined on 7/11/2014I absolutely love this place! Food and drinks very good. Excellent service!Special Features:
- Good dinner, odd drinkeagereaterDined on 7/11/2014My companions all ordered standards - lasagna, eggplant Parmesan, etc. I ordered the "veggie plate" - three fresh vegetable sides. They were delicious, but mine cost as much as the heavier entrees, with disappointingly small portions. I left hungry, unusual for an Italian restaurant. PS - the Cheerwine sangria did not hit the spot.Special Features:
- Good Food and AtmosphereApexMomDined on 7/11/2014Enjoyed our dinner - everyone's food was great and reasonably priced. Our older kids even fit right in. Definitely will go back.Special Features: