941 Massachusetts Street
Lawrence, KS 66064Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.genoveseitalian.com/
- Phone: 7858420300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Breakfast: Saturday & Sunday 8am - 2pm Dinner: Sunday- Monday 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Tuesday - Saturday 4:00 - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Armando Paniagua
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: In house and out of house catering is available. Please check our catering menu online. www.genoveseitalian.com
- Private Party Facilities: Second Floor is available for private functions. Please contact the restaurant for bookings.
- Private Party Contact: Subarna 7858420300x
- Special Events: Wine dinner with guest speaker held once a month.
A word from Genovese
Genovese Italian RestaurantContinued
Seasonal Northern Italian Cuisine
Serving Hot & Cold Antipastis, Salads, Homemade Fresh Pastas, Crisp Thin Pizzas & Wood-fired Rotisserie Meats.
Seasonal Northern Italian Cuisine
Serving Hot & Cold Antipastis, Salads, Homemade Fresh Pastas, Crisp Thin Pizzas & Wood-fired Rotisserie Meats.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Genovese - Best Restaurants in Lawrence ›
Genovese reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)special occasion (15)great for brunch (11)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (9)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (7)romantic (7)great for lunch (6)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Experiencecvolp89Dined on 8/23/2014Our first time trying Genovese and we were not disappointed. It is pretty pricey, but for a special occasion it was worth it. We got two appetizers, the mussels and the tuna tartar..it was phenomenal! My husband got the steak that was on special and I got the spinach fettuccine, both are a must try. The server was very professional and knowledgeable of the food and wine menu and recommended the best wine I have ever had in my life. If you are ever looking for a place to celebrate a special occasion, this place is a must try! Totally worth the money!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- genoveserleibachDined on 8/1/2014the food was good just like usual. I really like coming here. It is a little pricy but the food is very good. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Genovese in Lawrence KSgourmandKKDined on 7/26/2014Our first visit to the Genovese. Italian/American food was very good. Soup of the day Carrot soup & Tiramisu were outstanding. Tiramisu was presented in a big old fashioned glass, quite unusual but pleasing. Fried baby artichoke appetizer looked & tasted very good. I wish a couple of the outer fibrous leaves were removed before frying. Main dish of pork chop & sausage was good, a generous platter we shared. Accompanying mashed potatoes & broccoli were excellent. Very interesting wine list with very reasonable prices. Our waitress was very knowledgable & helpful. But the air conditioning was not working. Temperature inside was as high as 83*, when the outside temp was close to 100* on a very humid Kansas summer day.Special Features:
- A little disappointedJen2Dined on 7/26/2014Food was well prepared but drinks weren't very strong and the lobster and crab ravioli completely lacked in filling. It just taste like ravioli with some seafood flavor on it. Pea Fettucine was awesome. Papperdelle lacked a lot of flavor. Not that impressed for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Topgourmet59Dined on 6/27/2014Very nice food and great service, but unfortunately, a table for six with three small children was seated next to us with a crying baby. They were there to grab a quick supper which was different purpose than our special occasion dinner for which I had made reservations. Not happy that this family was seated next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/20/2014Always a good meal at Genovese. New waiter I think though who spilled water on my brother, and didn't offer anything to compensate for being soaking wet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServiceJayhawkChefDined on 6/15/2014Special occasion Father's Day meal was made better with the excellent food, wine and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant EveningGuestDined on 6/14/2014Dinner for two of small plates and Sardinian wine. It was early, so quieter than it might have been later in evening. Nice view of street activity without that activity being intrusive. Food was nicely served and waitress was adept, unusual in a college town. Mussels a true find. This is a mid-level restaurant, but one of best in Lawrence. Unique food without puffiness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Gem!gemfinderDined on 6/5/2014I loved Genovese. Perfect place for small groups, great food with a diverse menu. Nice wine and cocktail selections. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!ShellybeanDined on 6/2/2014The dishes we had were specials for the evening and were great!!! Really favorful and big portions. I would have given the overall experience an outstanding but the accoustics on the front porch area were not good.Special Features:
- poached salmonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Poached salmon was excellent. Interesting & complementary flavors in the sauce and, as requested, not overcooked.
- Great Energy and Food!dallasaliVIPDined on 5/16/2014We love to try the pasta specials and house specials at Genovese. We also like the standard menu, too. Great wine list. Excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Great place to take your graduateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/16/2014We took our daughter there to celebrate her achievement and had a terrific meal and a wonderful time.Special Features:
- The following 171 reviews are from the Genovese reviews archive.
- Great food and servicetroutdudeDined on 5/4/2014Enjoyed a special occasion birthday celebration here. The lobster and crab ravioli was delicious, as was the dessert selection. Service was friendly, respectful, and effecient. Will come back again!Special Features:
- Decent, Overpriced Italian CuisineCombatCriticDined on 4/20/2014The bill came to close to $80, so by the time tip was added we were looking at a "C-note" for dinner, not an inexpensive venture by any stretch. Thanks to the Groupon, our portion came to nearly $45 (plus the $30 we paid for the Groupon - a grand total of $75), a much more tolerable total but still quite a bit higher than it was worth. For comparison, a similar dinner at Lidia's, one of the best Italian restaurants in Kansas City, with two appetizers, two entrees (meat dishes, not pizza/pasta), a bottle of wine and dessert usually comes to a little over $100 including tip. So without the Groupon, Genovese does not even come close to a meal at Lidia's and is a poor value in my eyes ... CombatCritic Gives Genovese 5 Bombs Out of 10
- Great Food and ServiceDartyDined on 4/12/2014Had the Penne with veal bolognese and italian sausage. It was delicious. Our server was really friendly, and took great care of us. Prices were very reasonable considering they use local products when possible. All in all a great experience, I would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Wonderful...Again!!!CheifDined on 4/5/2014Our food was wonderful and our was service excellent. We and our friends thoroughly enjoyed our visit...again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good option in DT Lawrence.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/28/2014Very good service. Food was good to very good but we were limited to seafood and vegetarian options. Wouldn't recommend the veggie pizza unless you really need meatless option. Fettuccine was very good and the salmon special was nice as well. Will plan to return for some of the other pastas and beef or pork entrees. Neat atmosphere with partially open kitchen and seating upstairs with open beam ceiling and exposed brick wall. Front patio seating looked inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!CheifDined on 3/22/2014We had a great meal, great server, great drinks and great dessert -- we were able to spend a relaxing 2 + hours in a wonderful place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, fun dinnerlaurelrose11Dined on 3/16/2014The food was good. We went with friends for the first time and enjoyed ourselves. The service is pretty good too. Are we just was cute and Philip are waters and all the things you expect very promptly. We were sat right next to the kitchen, so we can actually look down and see them preparing our food which was kind of fun, but at the same time, it was kind of noisy. I would've preferred a little bit better seat but I suppose somebody has to sit there. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2014They handled our large group well. Everyone enjoyed their food, and it was quiet enough upstairs (front area) to have conversation. I really like the nice selection of $20 bottles of wine. The server was prompt and split things between separate checks without asking. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my pasta was not cooked, ravioliHappyCustomerDined on 2/23/2014my pasta was not cooked, ravioli was chewy. Very fishy lobster taste and crab was imitation. way to expensive for what I was served.
- Americanized ItalianLocavoreDined on 2/22/2014This restaurant claims to be a North Italian eatery but really it is an American restaurant that serves food reminiscent of Italian. Although my chicken dish was moist, the sauce was heavy, almost like gravy, and way too salty. My husband's lamb shank was tasty he said, but also WAY over-salted. The side dish that came with my dinner (sauteed celery, carrots, a few tiny pieces of asparagus, zucchini in a heavily salted oil base) was not very good, being heavily doused in salt and pepper. This is not a fine dining place, though the prices for our dinners were high, too high for what we got I think. Its more appropriate a place to take families and in fact several tables around us had small children and a baby (all well behaved).Special Features:
- loved ithappychef76Dined on 2/18/2014Amazing food. The menu doesn't do the food justice. Will return again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedjayhawkfoodieDined on 2/14/2014For paying 16 dollars per plate, portions were small and my butternut squash ravioli was so mediocre and bland, I didn't even want to finish it. Would have been worth maybe 8 dollars a plate. Great ambiance, howeverSpecial Features:
- WonderfuldstorkDined on 2/14/2014Took the girlfriend there for valentines day. Very friendly staff, delicious food and affordable prices. As we left, they gave her a flower too, a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twoPadinerDined on 2/10/2014We found you through the internet as my husband was on a business trip and we wanted something special. You fit the bill perfectly. If we are ever in Lawrence again we will come back. Our server was very friendly and helpful with suggestions.Special Features:
- KU Game Visit to LawrencevilleHamiltonlDined on 2/8/2014Reservation was right on time, nice little bar, great variety of food, service a little slow and wine list could be improved a little, otherwise great experience highly recommend great location right on action on Massachusetts street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksMeKSVIPDined on 1/19/2014Always great to dine at Genovese. Sad they don't do anything special for birthdays though.Special Features:
- Great Lawrence restaurantmascootzDined on 1/11/2014There may only be 5 really good restuarants in Lawrence. While this one might not be the top of those, it definately is one of the 5. All pastas are hand made on the premisis. I asked our waitress for some recommendations as this was our first visit. My wife and I both selected the carpaccio as an appetizer, one order was more than enought for two or three people. I had the house salad with a creamy peppercorn dressing on it and my wife had the ceasar salad both were big and good For our entree we had the wild mushroom, aspargas, and added italian sausage to the ravolii. It was very good. The ravolii was generous in portion but the individual pieces were not stuffed enough. We had no room for desert after that feast. Service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!liwarrenDined on 1/7/2014Have been to Genovese a number of times but this was one of the most memorable. Our waitress was awesome. The bruschetta was to die for!! We took a couple of friends that hadn't been there for years. They mentioned they hadn't been there for years because they didn't enjoy the food but this visit certainly changed their opinion! They will definitely be back. I requested something not on the menu and they graciously prepared it just to my liking and boy did it blow me away! I cannot wait to go back and suggest anyone that hasn't tried Genovese for a while return and give them a chance!!Special Features:
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/3/2014As foodies, we have no regrets about trying this new restaurant out. Service was very friendly and helpful, food was out of this word! If you haven't been here before, I would say you need to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday night no corkageliwarrenDined on 10/29/2013We decided to give Genovese a try especially because on Tuesdays they have free corkage fees. Restaurant was fairly busy for a 5:30 dine probably due to a KU game at 7. Food was good, had to ask for bread, never got our appetizer. Server was very nice but probably new and lacks some experience. Can't blame him for breaking the cork opening our wine as I'm not sure if it was an old cork or user error. Will definitely return to give this another chance.Special Features:
- An excellent selection ofjclaireDined on 10/10/2013An excellent selection of inexpensive wine, generous portions, friendly staff, and sweet outdoor balcony seating in temperate weather make Genovese one of Lawrence's better dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesMeKSVIPDined on 10/5/2013I always enjoy eating at this restaurant. They have great appetizers.Special Features:
- YummyictjhawkDined on 10/4/2013Three of us had a pizza appetizer, Chianti wine, pasta entrees and a chocolate tort to wind up the evening. Yummy food and outsta dingservice. Will definitely come back on our next visit to Lawrence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is one of the betterGuestDined on 9/23/2013This is one of the better restaurants in Lawrence. The food is good. Wines are good. Noise is more than I would like but it is an old downtown building with rock walls, so not unexpected. Seating is better on bottom or top tier. While second tier is intimate, ventilation blows on guests, a bit uncomfortable. The four of us each had one of the specials. All were quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- belated birthdayluvfoodDined on 9/7/2013Took my daughter and her boyfriend and we all had a great time. Service was helpful and friendly. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Went withOverFiftyCrow1Dined on 8/31/2013Excellent food. Went with a large group of family and all ordered different dishes from the menu. Everyone was very impressed with their food. We usually don't have dessert after dinner but did this time. Oh my gosh, the sorbetto was absolutely heavenly. All our party loved their desserts as well. Can't wait to eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average place in LawrenceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2013Not bad but Pizza is more their thing. The calemari had more onoin rings than squid. The salads were all small. Not enough for the money.Special Features: