3801 East Coast Highway
Corona Del Mar, CA 92625Neighborhood:
Corona del Mar
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thefivecrowns.com/
- Phone: 9497600331
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm; Friday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Greg Harrison
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our Executive Chef Greg Harrison can design a special menu for your occasion. Please call Sales and Marketing at (949) 760-1115 for menu descriptions.
A word from Five Crowns
Thank you for choosing the Five Crowns, a beautiful replica of one of England's oldest country inns in beautiful Corona del Mar. Dress code is casual. Should your plans change or if you are running late, please let us know. The award-winning food, wine list, exceptional service and unmistakable style that have made Five Crowns a dining legend since 1965 awaits you. We look forward to your visit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Five Crowns - Best Restaurants in Corona del Mar ›
Five Crowns reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (148)romantic (98)neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (48)notable wine list (46)good for groups (31)great for outdoor dining (26)vibrant bar scene (24)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (9)great for lunch (7)hot spot (7)scenic view (5)Show More
- Made a special occasion even betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014Can't say enough about the great staff -- they make special occasions very special in their fine dining area and yet they also know how to make you feel right at home in their casual Side Door pub next door. It is truly a gem in Corona del Mar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great place to have a romantic quiet dinner, I would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerSpecialEveningDined on 9/13/2014We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary this weekend and had dinner at Five Crowns, one of our favorite restaurants. Everything was fantastic!! We were greeted at the front with a Happy Anniversary by the hostess. The waitress Karin was wonderful and very attentive and the food was delicious as always. It was a great evening!Special Features:
- Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014We both had the most delectable Prime Rib dinner imaginable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Food was absolutely delicious !!! Service was top notch !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimSBDined on 9/6/2014All Lawry's restaurants are NOT created equal. After dining at the Las Vegas location, we were highly impressed. Tried both the Five Crowns and Tam O'Shanter. Had mediocre food at both....nothing like their Vegas counterpart. Will not be returning to either...but may make the trip to Vegas just to dine there again!!!
- Good experience.FlipDined on 9/5/2014Good experience. Excellent food. Outstanding service. Friendly place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- theatergoerDined on 9/4/2014Melt in your mouth tender, delicious prime rib! Excellent, friendly, attentive service!Special Features:
- nickDined on 8/31/2014the service was great and the food (prime rib) was excellentSpecial Features:
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014This restaurant has been the place to go when "we want to get pampered with great foods and service" and "want great protein!" for my husband and me. This time, we brought 3 friends. 1 married couple and 1 close friend. The couple had never been. We had a great time/experience/food. Probably, we were noisy for the other groups (sorry...). This couple just signed the contract to buy a new house on that day and we celebrated that. We are definitely going back again.Special Features:
- Great food!LoveCDMDined on 8/30/2014Service great - server Phil. Food great. Will go back.Special Features:
- An old friendzoomboyDined on 8/30/2014For many years 5 Crowns has been our "go to" place for Anniversaries, Birthdays or other special events. It is also the place we choose when just the two of us want a quality dinner. We appreciate most of the changes and can count on the quality of service and food. We have visited your Tam O'Shanter and Lawry's and they are all good. However, we still prefer our local favorite-5 Crowns.Special Features:
- Classic Prime Rib TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant has been a classic in the area for many years. The food is as good as ever. Classic British Tavern style. The overall feel seems to be worn and dated. I remember when it was more elegant and upscale.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed dinner very much. We live in the desert so we have to make coming to the 5👑s very special.Special Features:
- Dan & NancyMoochDined on 8/30/2014We have been going to Five Crowns for over 40 years. When the Big Change came several years ago, the reviews from 'old folks' were so bad (changed menu, no duckling, no Tanqueray gin, crowded tables, young "trendies" trying to make the old folks invisible, etc., etc.) plus four awful visits my brother and his wife had after the changes, (who had their engagement dinner there 65 years ago), we bailed for years and used our VIP points at Tam O'Shanter instead. We returned Sat. night for the first time and were delighted, as you can see from the review. You do apparently respond to reviews. --while the ladies always look great, the men look just out of the locker room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not eat here again.FarmRaisedSteakLoverDined on 8/28/2014For a steak house own by Lawry's I was extremely surprised they served me a cartilage riddled steak. To add insult to injury, the lead waiter, resturant manager and table waiter -3 people in a row - came to my table one at a time and did their best to try and convince me "that's how all rib eye's will be when you ask for medium rare." Before sending it back and canceling my order I offered each my steak knife for them to try and cut it. Of course, no one would try. Will not eat here again.
- Poor servicePhilSDined on 8/28/2014Food is still excellent. Service not good at all. I felt that the server had too many tables to take care of..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jirdenDined on 8/27/2014The food is excellent. The service was friendly and efficient. Up to Lawry's exceptional standard.Special Features:
- sungerDined on 8/25/2014I have had wonderful dinners at The Five Crown's, but this wasn't one of them. We were warmly greeted upon arrival, and only waited a few minutes to be seated. We were a party of two, and were sat right next, literally within 18 inches of another party of 2. Our waitress was pleasant, knowledgeable, and professional. We each ordered a soup appetizer, and prime rib for the main course. The soup, French Onion, was very good, but the bowl was so hot you couldn't touch it. The main course arrived, and it looked wonderful. The prime rib was tender, very tasty, but only warm. Additionally, it was served on what appeared to be a plastic plate. I will return, but this was a disappointing experience from a place that once was first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good but Short of ExcellentBillVIPDined on 8/24/2014Five Crowns is a very good fine dining restaurant but falls a little short from offering an excellent fine dining experience. The prime rib was very good but the mash potatoes were only warm, not hot, and the gravy was almost without flavor. Service was very good but again fell slightly less than extraordinary. Ambiance would have been improved with some fresh flowers at each table. Diner rates four stars but not five.Special Features:
- End cut of prime ribJohn2430Dined on 8/24/2014We have eaten at five Crowns since 1974. Only on a few times have I been disappointed with my meal. A slice of prime rib should not be re cooked to look like a end cut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No expectationsMikeVIPDined on 8/23/2014My first time there with no expectations. Had been recommended by some friends. I had the sea bass very tasty although the specialty is prime rib and saw many plates with happy diners.....Special Features:
- No more wenches, still top notch.N6ZRNDined on 8/23/2014First time after a 15-20 year dry spell. We had reservations for 6:00pm. Seated right away after entire party(7) arrived. Our server Greg was very knowledgeable about menu & helped a lot. Staff was attentive to our needs. Water glasses never went below 1/2 filled. Most restaurants wait until you've put some food in your mouth before asking "how is your dinner?"; 5 Crowns' staff allowed us to swallow that 2-3 bites before asking. We never felt rushed, and they seemed to know just when to arrive to assist our meal. Overall: a very pleasant meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th celebrationSandyDined on 8/23/2014Service was the best we have had in a long time. We traditionally celebrate with our daughter.Special Features:
- Good,but food tepid,service spotty.BobbybVIPDined on 8/22/2014We love the ambience..but the food,although tasty,was cold...the service when there was good..but often absent when needed...even when in the same rom or area they were more concerned with conversation amongst themselves. And few ever smile or say much..I would say they need a lot of training...there is no danger of getting a Michelin star here...but prices are fair...no charge for a kitchen split...and corkage is only 20 bucks..the desert peach berry cobbler with ice cream was fantastic.Special Features:
- Special Occasion MustDarelynhbDined on 8/21/2014We've been going to Five Crowns for years off and on and it never dissapoints! Our waiter Patrick was helpful, pleasant, friendly and prompt with our drinks and food! We were celebrating our 38th wedding anniversary and we were presented with a delicious dessert and champagne! A must for your special occasion...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Pretty disappointed with the lobster bisque, but the rib eye quickly made up for it and then some.Special Features:
- once again...bethDined on 8/21/2014We have dined at this location for many years and it has never been better. The emphasis is now on great food, whereas in years past the focus was on visual imagery. Great change!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family anniversary celebration.LeeleeDined on 8/20/2014Five Crowns is often our first choice for special adult family celebrations - and we are never disappointed. This evening lived up to our expectations. Some family members enjoyed the special featured cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceHBGalVIPDined on 8/17/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our food. The chicken was moist and flavorful. The roasted peach salad was unique and delicious. Our server was attentive and friendly but discreet. Our water glasses were never empty. Very relaxing evening!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good & service are exceptional!BlessedDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I loved Five Crowns for special occasions. Now, I get to share it with others who have been a blessing to me during these past 3 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We hadn't been to Five Crowns in a few years, and noticed a few changes. Missed seeing the "period" dress of the service staff. The food and service was excellent, and we appreciated being able to split meals for a service charge. The chocolate souffle was excellent, and the recognition of my Mom's birthday was special. I had not received a confirmation from Open Table for the online reservation I made, but was very impressed with the management's call from Five Crowns confirming that they received my email and making sure that we did have our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanoVIPDined on 8/14/2014Has gone steadily down hill for the past 5 years. Will probably not go back. Have been going there since the 1960's
- great place for special eventscaligirlVIPDined on 8/10/2014Love five crowns, have been going for years, we love to celebrate special events there. Service is terrific, food, always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OVERALL DELICIOUS EXPERIENCE!SiggyDined on 8/10/2014THE DELICIOUS CUIINE, SUPERB SERVICE AND CLASSY ATMOSPHERE MAKE EVERY VISIT TO FIVE CROWNS A 'VERY SPECIAL OCCASION'. THIS MOST RECENT VISIT WAS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY AND WE CAN'T THINK OF ANOTHER RESTAURANT IN THE AREA THAT CONSISTENTLY OFFERS THIS HIGH LEVEL OF EXCELLENCE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The food was exceptional! They ran out of the fish that I ordered, but the waiter made a recommendation that was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnremarkableshariDined on 8/9/2014(The SideDoor pub was a better experience than 5 Crowns as the service, appetizers, drinks and ambiance were all very nice.) We were seated at a two person table beside a pillar. My husband had a partial view of the fireplace and I had a view of the waiters/guests. The guests at the table behind me were uncomfortably loud. The ambiance was zero. The service was just average. Wine by the glass was limited, the wedge salad was warm and limp, the onion soup was served in a white cereal bowl, the lobster and prime rib were both fine ( a small request about the meat was denied). Really not nearly as good a dining experience as we have had for years at Lawry's or Tam O' Shanter.Special Features:
- Getting betterMcDonDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to five crown's for years and love the ambience. The food has gotten better, but the quality of meat is not up to par with Morton's are Flemming's. Still needs some improving on some minor issue's. I had ordered the bone in rib eye and it was still tough to chew. May choice vs prime ? Also the dessert menu is not what it used to be only one soufflé choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FiveCrownsTimeCapsuleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014My wife and I attended this restaurant in 1969, shortly after college and our wedding. Not surprisingly, nothing has changed and the intervening period and this only reinforces my belief this type of experience is passé, at least for me. I was bored and felt disappointed after finishing, wondering why we chose to return!
- OverratedoverratedDined on 8/9/2014As indicated above, the food, ambience, and service were all good, but not great. And we were expecting 'great' based on the food prices.Special Features: