Ernesto's Mexican Food
1901 16th Street
Sacramento, CA 95811Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Ernesto's Mexican Food
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ernestosmexicanfood.com/
- Phone: 9164415850
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-5:00pm
Lunch: Sa-Su 2:00pm-5:00pm
Dinner: M-Th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-12:00am
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Regional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jose Carrillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Mariachi Music every Thursday and Special Events. Please view our Event Page for more information or call the restaurant for details.
A word from Ernesto's Mexican Food
Since 1991, Ernesto"s Mexican Food has proudly served Midtown Sacramento as it's #1 choice for Best Mexican Food. By using only the freshest ingredients, our chefs work diligently to ensure the authentic Mexican flavors our customers desire while simultaneously keeping their well-being in mind. Ernesto's offers a range of award-winning dishes the whole family can enjoy, including it's Signature Carnitas, Vegetarian options and "Great Margaritas". From it's colorful artwork to the rhythm of the salsa music that pulsates throughout the restaurant; Ernesto's has offered a beautiful display of true Mexican culture. We are honored to have had the chance to share the past 21 years with the Sacramento Community and we look forward to many more. The Ernesto's family wants to thank everyone for its many years of success!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Ernesto's Mexican Food - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Ernesto's Mexican Food reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (28)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (19)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (12)special occasion (12)fit for foodies (10)hot spot (8)great for brunch (7)romantic (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Last minute pickOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014This was a last minute pick for my boyfriend and I. We loved it! Drinks, appetizers and our main courses were all very good. Our server, Jose was awesome. My boyfriend did mention his Asada chimichanga was a little dry but otherwise good! Glad we chose to try Ernesto's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!TARFOURVIPDined on 9/6/2014We Love Ernesto's. The Cadillac Margarita is the best we have found in California! Food is Great too!Special Features:
- Worth the Drive!dinthebayDined on 8/20/2014Drove in from the Bay Area. Good service, great food and drinks. Reasonable prices. Place was packed on a Wednesday night. Carnita meat very tender and delicious. Nice portions. I recommend the cranberry margarita and taking a trip to Ernesto's asap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience/ good foodchiquisDined on 8/15/2014My siblings and I chose your restaurant to take my mom to dinner for her birthday because we saw that you had mariachis. We had no wait time to be seated. Our table was ready for us and our waiter was very attentive, friendly and fast. He made our visit an excellent experience. All orders were taken correctly and the evening was very enjoyable for our mom, which was the main reason for our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great FoodTARFOURVIPDined on 8/9/2014Cadillac Margaritas are the best we have had in California! Service was slow this time as they were having credit card machine troubles. Been there over 10 times and its still our favorite.Special Features:
- Rather disappointed in the serviceLoveNummiesDined on 8/9/2014I have heard so many wonderful things about Ernesto's. While the food was good, the service left a lot to be desired. There were multiple missing items, meat served to a vegetarian, and long waits. We had an early dinner, but still found ourselves rushing out of there to get to a show. Our reserved table was not ready for us. Then we ended up with lopsided tables. I found it difficult to hear even the person sitting next to me as the overall noise in the restaurant was deafening. The server was very nice, but seemed to be very disorganized.Special Features:
- Family dinner in barladyhamDined on 8/9/2014My kids and grandson were visiting from out of town and wanted to try a restaurant we'd never been to before. We were happy with our choice. An early dinner in the bar was perfect for our active 14-month old grandson because it was loud and active, like him. Food was good. Everyone enjoyed their meals. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great Family Birthday Bash!SacFamFoodiesDined on 8/4/2014Ernesto's easily accomodated our party of 14 & made my daughter's 21st birthday party memorable. The staff was friendly and attentive - and the food was wonderful. Our family had a great time!Special Features:
- Loud, and very bland.LikeitisDined on 7/29/2014Adequate at best. Everything was bland and sort of flavorless, even the salsa. I kept hoping to find a highlight but never did. The restuarant is pleasant inside and the service is okay but the noise level removes any points they get for atmosphere. All and all not worth a second trip.
- food ok, service horriblebakergirlDined on 7/28/2014I will start with the good. My margarita was excellent. My wife said her food was good but not great. My carne Asada burrito was ok. The negatives: they charge extra if you want more than one bowl of chips an salsa, also none of their salsas are hotter than medium even if you ask for their "hot" salsa. I do love heat, so I ordered 6 fresh jalapenos grilled. I received 3. I asked my waiter where the rest were and he laughed and said they were big ones. I finished the 3 with half my burrito left. I cannot recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Busier then ever.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014I was dining at Ernesto's ten years ago, and it was popular then and it has become even more popular now. Lack of air conditioning, loud, very loud, cannot hear any conversation at my table. To busy for our waiter, he keeps us waiting for 15 minutes after we finished our meals. We had to ask the receptionist for take out boxes, and the bus boy for the check. Very disappointed, and the food is over prices.Special Features:
- Best Mexican Food AroundTARFOURVIPDined on 7/17/2014We are from Texas and Ernesto's is by far our favorite place to go!Special Features:
- Such a great birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Sat outside at Ernestos for my 50+ birthday celebration. There were 6 in our group. We had reservations and our outside table was ready and waiting upon our arrival. I must say the service was excellent and the food yummy. They even brought me a dessert with a sparkler in it while singing Happy Birthday. It was a warm evening and they kept our waters/ice tea's filled at all times. The only negative was that at times there were several flies pestering us. Outside of that it was a perfect evening. Thank you Ernesto's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites in Sacto.jdwabbitDined on 7/11/2014I love to return to Sacto. and visit some of my favorite places! Ernesto's is always on my list!! Love the food and Love the Vibe!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Margarita AroundTARFOURVIPDined on 7/3/2014Try the Cadillac as it is great..........Chile Relleno is really good too. Never had a bad meal here. A little hard to find a place to park but its worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black beans???nonicknameDined on 7/2/2014I don't thing black beans should be served automatically. They are awful and everyone left them on the plates.Special Features:
- Great ServicecollegekidDined on 7/2/2014A really good find in Sacramento. It has everything for everyone. I met my roommates face to face for the first time here. Two of us are vegetarian while the other is not. It made it really easy to eat at Ernesto's with their menus that have a designated list for vegetarians. In addition, the service was impeccable. I'm a huge fan of the chips and dips and refills that are complimentary. Really affordable restaurant in addition to unbeatable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2014We love Ernesto's! Great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014My group and I were disappointed that the Mexican food was so Americanized and bland. Even the salsa had very little spice and flavor.
- MariachiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Disappointing. My family and I planned and reserved a fun night listening to mariachi band. My daughter specifically asked for a table so we could enjoy the band. They let her know that they walk around to all the tables. We drove an hour to see the band (there are several fabulous Mexican restaurants in our area, but no band). Unfortunately we were sitting outside and we never saw the band. We let the hostess and the manager know how disappointed we were. We let them know it was very clear we wanted to see the band. They both didn't seem to care. I don't think they care if we ever return. This was supposed to be a special event for my family. We left not liking the way they handled the misunderstanding.
- Great food/excellent serviceluv2eatoutDined on 6/18/2014I loved the quality and taste of the food at this restaurant. I also liked the decorations throughout the place and the option to sit outside. Service was outstanding and I would recommend this restaurant to all my friends. One suggestion is to turn the music down somewhat as it was difficult to hear the conversation at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodPolymathDined on 6/15/2014Thus far I have had their Veracruz Shrimp, Cowboy Shrimp, and Shrimp Chimichangas. All three had amazing taste and texture. Atmosphere is good, both indoors and out. The sidewalk area is cozy and on a very tree shaded street in downtown. The service is good. On Fathers' Day there was no receptionist at the front podium, thus we waited for around 5 minutes for someone to appear. Nevertheless, once the hostess appeared, we were taken immediately to our reserved table which had been held open for us even though the restaurant was crowded. Best Mexican food in Sacramento in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican foodnonamepleaseVIPDined on 6/5/2014I travel here for business occasionally and always look forward to stopping by Ernesto's for the best Mexican food anywhere! Food and drinks are always excellent. Noise level is low enough to actually carry on a conversation. Great food, great service and great price!Special Features:
- Irma MagallonIrmaDined on 5/30/2014Had a great dinner, Mariachi friday is a great idea! Plan to be in soon. Our waiter Sergio was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So So Food this timeFrankinFairOaksDined on 5/21/2014Went to Ernesto's for lunch. Service was average. Our server didn't make sure we had salsa for our tacos, etc. when the food was delivered. 20 minutes later he came back and asked how everything was at which time we asked for some salsa. My steak quesadilla was a thick tortilla with steak in it and nothing else. So plain. Our tacos didn't have any salsa and no quac.... Oh well.Special Features:
- The following 32 reviews are from the Ernesto's Mexican Food reviews archive.
- fabulousAngelaMDined on 5/11/2014We were a party of ten and enjoyed great food and service. We didn't have to wait a moment to have water, chips or salsa refilled, the staff was attentive and friendly. The food was excellent and our whole party, even the kids and picky eaters, were satisfied. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Daystocktonlady14Dined on 5/10/2014We brought our family for an early Mother's Day, and they really enjoyed your restaurant. Super service, and I enjoyed the carnation and free dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- travelswithlindatravelswithlindaDined on 5/9/2014We live in Washington State and only get to Sacramento about 4 times a year. Ernesto's is ALWAYS our first stop and sometimes we make more than one stop. Sure wish we had something like Ernesto's up here where we live (near Olympia but alas we do not). So until next time I will try and make it last. Thanks for finally taking reservations. Love, love, love, Ernesto's!Special Features:
- Cinco de MayogrimoireDined on 5/5/2014Went for Cinco de Mayo. Got a nice seat on the patio. Server was Sergio. Food was excellent. Carne Asada was delicious and compared well with the same dish I've had in Mexico itself. Ceviche was likewise perfect. Portions were large and prices reasonable.Special Features:
- Great MexicanStephenDined on 4/25/2014Ernestos, an old time favorite, keeps getting better. Terrific service, food, ambiance. Fri Marchichi night is fun!Special Features:
- First Time DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2014I was meeting a friend in a location where access to transportation and work would be a plus and, I found it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun place to celebrate aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/7/2014A fun place to celebrate a birthday. The service was very accommodating. I asked the server to turn down the music, and he did so right away which I don't often find in other places. The Margarita was excellent! You can bring your own cake, without extra service fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but noisyLisaDined on 3/7/2014Great dining experience. Food was very good but the restaurant is very loud with music Not the place to go if your looking for a quiet dinner :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wholey Guacamole!VickieDined on 3/6/2014Ernesto's food is very good in a not-authentic-but-delicious-anyway style. The guacamole is full of real avocado and generously served. Service is above average (they were slow to recognize when we were done and ready to leave that evening). Seating isn't bad, even outside on the busy street, However, the noise level is beyond the top of any acceptable scale. It was difficult, if not impossible, to hear the conversation at our table for two. And this table was at the back, fairly removed from the main dining area. By the end of our meal, my head was throbbing with the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Ernesto'sRubyrubeDined on 3/2/2014We hadn't been in years, and were all set to be disappointed just because things usually don't get better with time, but were very pleasantly suprised that they were just as good, if not better, than we remembered! The food was delicious, our drinks were top-notch, the service outstanding! It made us feel so bad that we haven't been more often over the years. LOVE this place!Special Features:
- A Fun DinnerDickDined on 2/28/2014We had company in town and chose Ernesto's. The service was great, the food was good, and the atmosphere was lively and friendly.Special Features:
- The service was great forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/25/2014The service was great for the big group that we had. Overall, great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014My fiance said yes when I proposed here so I love the place.
- Great food and wonderful eveningDavidwDined on 2/14/2014Well, where to start? Valentines Day, maybe the busiest night for any restaurant but it did not seem that way for my wife and I. Many people where waiting outside for 45 minutes or so and even though we arrived 15 minutes early, they seated us immediately. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the food very good. Oh, did I say the prices of all entrees very reasonable. We will definitely go back to Ernestos.Special Features:
- Quick food- too quickOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/14/2014We had reservations for Valentine's Day and the restaurant was busy. Our server took our order quickly and our food came out too quickly- in about 10 minutes. It was bland and uninspiring.