8200 E. Santa Ana Canyon Rd.
Anaheim Hills, CA 92808Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elcholo.com/
- Phone: 7147696269x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday & Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch & Dinner
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Felix Salcedo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for any of your catering needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for your private dining requests.
A word from El Cholo
Welcome to El Cholo Anaheim Hills. We look forward to having you join us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Cholo reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)special occasion (4)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- A great experience!!Marebear439VIPDined on 10/9/2014Three of us dined here after a movie on Thursday evening. A previous visit was less than good, primarily due to poor service. This time it was the exact opposite .... everything was wonderful. A basket of fresh tortilla chips and some salsa arrived at the table very quickly. We ordered margaritas to start and then were surprised to receive a complimentary plate of nachos. What a nice way to start our dinner. Our waiter, Martin, was extremely friendly and attentive. We each ordered different meals and all of the food was excellent. All in all, it was a wonderful evening and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Scof1VIPDined on 8/31/2014Terrible service. If the food wasn't so good, we would not go back but the food is great so we will, just ask not to have Gina.Special Features:
- Portion SizeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Portion size was not as much as I remembered available at other El Cholo locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This will be a habitChinoFoodieDined on 8/3/2014I loved the food and the drinks!! LA lemonade is fab!! The history plate was delicious!! We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 41 reviews are from the El Cholo reviews archive.
- Meets your needs with a smileMamaPDined on 6/21/2014Our waitress was so sweet to make sure every dietary need was met with no problem & a smile. She came back to make sure we were satisfied with every thing when it was served & again during the meal. She wanted us happy with our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican done wellOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/19/2014Imagine if El Torito or Acapulco was given better ingredients, healthier portions, and a better atmosphere. This is El Cholo. Always a decent choice in the neighborhood, and glad that I don't have to drive to LA to go there anymore!Special Features:
- Had a great time.MealHntrDined on 6/15/2014Celebrated Father's Day with dinner at the El Cholo in Anaheim Hills. The Food and Service were top notch and the ambience was very pleasant. Will be returning to sample more dishes and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so happy El Cholo came to AnaheimraidersbroughtusbackDined on 6/15/2014My family loves this restaurant ad specifically my husband and I. It was a part of our early dating in LA, and now with it beingin Anaheim Hills, it's perfect because we live near by. My boy's and I hada fantastic celebrity experience at El Cholo one eve while the Laker game was going on across the street. After that, memories were made and El Cholo is now a part of their childhood memories.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchOkieDined on 6/15/2014Food was wonderful and service was outstanding. We keep El Chollo on our list to definitely return. Very good overall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLunchReviewDined on 6/15/2014The food was really good. The tortilla chips were fresh and tasted homemade and the salsa was delicious as well. I also enjoyed the LA Lemonade Margarita. There weren't many people there though which was surprising because it was Father's Day at lunchtime so it made the ambiance a little quiet.Special Features:
- Good service; so-so fooddebbVIPDined on 6/11/2014The service was great. The food was below average, as Mexican restaurants at this price point go.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014Green corn tamales are always a special treat! These did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Good foodJustOkDined on 5/23/2014Tried El Cholo for the very first time. Food was good, but nothing amazing. Service was ok, the bus boys only seemed to refill the chip basket. Had to ask for refills on all our beverages multiple times and that was if we could find our server. Over all, would go back, but not high on our list of favorites.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceMarebear439VIPDined on 5/16/2014Four of us dined at El Cholo after seeing a movie. We've been dining at El Cholo for years, but this was our first time at this location. We were quite pleased with the size, comfort and ambience of the dining room. Three of us had one of their special margaritas and agreed that it was one of the best we've ever had. The guacamole was outstanding, as were our entrees. All in all, it was a great experience, and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- A new regular!cjbrownocVIPDined on 5/16/2014Love the food! This restaurant never disappoints. The LA Lemonade is the best drink on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeds expectationsRestaurantmavinDined on 4/27/2014If you expect to get the regular, run of the mill, Mexican cuisine, forget it. We were pleasently surprised to find some items, that were not usually served around town. The food was great, the service was great, and the price was right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service,not so awesome foodDateNightFoodiesDined on 4/25/2014We were seated right away on a Friday 6pm night. The hostesses were very pleasant and our waiter was very knowledgable and efficient. The food (I'm sorry, because I understand that this place is special to some people) was just ok. The chips and salsa were pretty standard. The guacamole did not taste fresh and it needed some serious salt. Our entrees came and they needed salt, too. Beans & rice were standard, chili relleno & taquito bland, pork tamal ok, and the cheese enchilada was just ok. We're sad that we spent date night here. The staff was so awesome, but I wish the food was more memorable. Sorry to say that we won't be coming back again. There are better-tasting Mexican restaurants in SoCal.
- Fresh, plentiful, a cut above...PCinYLDined on 4/20/2014If you want to pay a similar price but get a menu that features better food quality than the local Don Jose, etc., try El Cholo. This is a standby in LA and we are lucky to get it in YL. The staff is friendly, attentive, the drinks are good, the food is excellent, and everyone I've taken there so far has been favorably impressed. It's a refreshing change of pace with innovative menu items (try the crab taquitos) and a "Cocorita" to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/19/2014We eat here all the time the food is great, the service is friendly and professional and the atmosphere is welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $9 for alcohol-free margaritas . .ComanchepilotVIPDined on 4/12/2014Having attended USC back in the early 80's I have been to the mother ship - and this one has the same lightning quick service and very tasty food - unfortunately, it has alcohol free margaritas. I'm not a big guy and don't drink that often - I had two strawberry margaritas and got a sugar high but nothing from alcohol. For $9 they really need to make sure they put alcohol in the drinks. I left the place as sober as when I walked. The food is very good- has that cantina flavor mexican that the original on Western has - and the 'ritas are very smooth - I wish I could make them that way at home- but - at home I use tequila. Maybe thats it. Anyway - if you are close by its MUCH MUCH bette than any of the other chain Mexican restaurantsSpecial Features:
- Couldn't stop thinking aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/5/2014Was there Tuesday for lunch and kept thinking about the food. Took my husband Saturday and it was still great. A new go-to place for us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Friday night mealYLDaveDined on 3/21/2014We had a very good meal at El Cholo in Anaheim Hills. Martin, our server, did an excellent job and was very friendly. Service was prompt and the staff was very attentive. Better than the other Mexican Food chains in the area.Special Features:
- excited for new location closer topurplepattiDined on 2/22/2014We have been going to El Cholo's (Los Angeles and La Habra) for over 40 years! We love the restaurant so much that we don't mind the drive. But now we are so excited to have a new location only10-12 miles from our home. Our children grew up celebrating all family birthdays at El Cholo's and our daughter even won a Mother's Day Essay contest one year. We always take out-of-town visitors to our favorite restaurant.The only downside: we will be eating there a lot more often, so I guess we will have to exercise more, because the food and margaritas are AWESOME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time at El CholoShawnDined on 2/14/2014The one thing that impresses me when I dine here is that their staff are quite friendly and always know the menu. It is so hard to decide which plate to order as they are delicious. One thing I have to say is that if you are looking for a quiet dining experience, this may not be a good idea we have screamer next to us. Honestly, unless you want a quiet dining, go to a 5 Star $$$$ establishment, most restaurants now days seem to be like Chuck E. Cheese; even Yard House is like this as well. Most parents don't have control over there kids. Bottomline, great impressive food. I am giving them a 5 Star because it's not their fault parent don't know how to control their kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OLD SCHOOLmb4994Dined on 1/25/2014El Cholo is still just as good as it was in 1975, when I first dined there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El choloDunceDined on 1/24/2014Great food. Clean nice atmosphere. Loved the chips n salsa and our waiter was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love El Cholo. Our favoriteylmom2Dined on 12/28/2013We love El Cholo. Our favorite is the #1. Food is wonderful. We usually come for lunch during the week, however, I made a reservation for a party of 7 on a Saturday night. The restaurant was busy and it took a while for our party to be seated. Surprising, service was very slow and we didn't have utensils when our food arrived. I was a bit disappointed as we had family members who were dining here for the first time. However, the food was delicious as always and this experience will not deter us from returning. I think we will stick to dining here for lunch when it is not so busy.Special Features:
- Our server was the best andPbrownVIPDined on 12/27/2013Our server was the best and food was very good. I would look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had an enjoyable evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2013We had an enjoyable evening. Seated promptly, good service and food. Will return againSpecial Features:
- Good eatscjbrownocVIPDined on 11/23/2013Very convenient and food is delish! We would definitely come back again and again. Make sure you order the La Lemonade!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful SurpriseCreoleBabyVIPDined on 10/25/2013I was unfamiliar with the El Cholo chain and decided to this new addition to the neighborhood. I was expecting your everyday, run of the mill Mexican cuisine but was delightfully surprised by El Cholo. The menu is a good mix of traditional dishes with signature touches on each item. There was a wide variety to choose from. I had a seafood dish and the crab, shrimp and lobster were very fresh, high quality. Everything brought to our table was well seasoned and presented beautifully. The atmosphere is more family friendly than romantic, however, the seating is well arranged so you can enjoy privacy instead of feeling like you've been packed in. Overall, a great experience and we will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:
- Love it!cjbrownocVIPDined on 7/19/2013The margaritas are to die for! Stay away from the chips though, they are so addictive there! Food is good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NO REGARD FOR THE MAJORITYthosX2VIPDined on 7/13/2013I made a reservation and was seated in a booth in the main dining area promptly. Unfortunately there was a party of about 20 located 3 feet from the booths. This party was OBNOXIOUS, loud and had no regard for anyone else in the dinning room. This facility has a room in the back for large groups but without any regard for those of us seated in the main dining room these people were accommodated in close proximity of the booths and the majority of customers. I have been going to El Cholo for decades and I am used to a certain noise level which is well above average but this was beyond all bounds. If time had not been an issue I would have left. I will never return to this place.
- not too specialplanemanDined on 6/29/2013not the same as the downtown store. Great service, food was good ...not great. Reception staff was nice. I would say it was good...not great. I'm not sure if it was the lack of ambiance or all the screaming children, but it just didn't "hit the spot" .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only Reason to visit El CholoTonyGL203Dined on 6/20/2013My review is quite simple: As for the food & service at the restaurant "two thumbs down" if you "MUST GO" because someone in your group wants to try it, then ask for the L.A. Lemonade it's a kind of Marguerita drink it seen to be the only thing worth going for Stay away from ordering anything from the menu and DO NOT EXPECT to get pamper at El Cholo restaurant I have visited a few of their locations they do not provide adequate service.
- Still worth a visitwilliefamDined on 6/12/2013The new El Cholo doesn't quite have the ambience and charm of the La Habra restaurant, but it's light-years ahead of the Chevy's that used to occupy this space. Authentic and carefully prepared Mexican Cuisine at a reasonable price. Our servers have been over-the-top attentive and friendly with every visit. This will be a regular experience for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SushiSushiDined on 6/9/2013Great restaurant and as always great food. We will definitely be back again many times more. It was great to use open table our table was ready and there was no wait.Special Features:
- good food ambiance averagemongoloidDined on 5/19/2013the menu & food was equivalent to the Ocella cafe in La Habra the ambience not even close a little disappointed will still go to the La Habra telecafeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!FrequentDinerVIPDined on 5/17/2013It's been a while since I last eat at an El Cholo's restaurant, last one was in the City of Irvine. I met a couple of clients at the location for the very first time and I ordered one of El Cholo's main specialty items, the Carnitas plate and I was very disappointed! the meat, rather than being tender, was hard and difficult to chew. The tortillas were small in size and therefore not very complimentary to the meal. Guacamole was prepared tableside and that was really the only highlight of the meal, although the service provided by my Waiter, Tony, was excellent. This is not the kind of quality I expected prior from the Irvine location and not what I expect from this family owned chain restaurant, so I seriously doubt I will be back!Special Features:
- DisappointingBrieVIPDined on 5/11/2013The steak tasted like charcoal. The soup being served to the table beside us was spilling over the sides and kept us from ordering it. Huge disappointment compared with our family favorite El Cholo in Irvine. Not sure whether we would come again after this experience. Hopefully management can fix the Anaheim Hills location to bring it up to par with the other restaurant locations. Beautiful front doors though and comfortable seating.Special Features: