Don's Lighthouse Grille
8905 Lake Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Don's Lighthouse Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donslighthouse.com/
- Phone: 2169616700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Reed
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The captains room holds up to 50 people for full service dining in a formal atmosphere.
- Private Party Contact: Kraig Sternquist 2169616700
A word from Don's Lighthouse Grille
Don"s Lighthouse is located along Cleveland's scenic lakefront seven minutes from downtown's sports, theater and concert districts. Situated in a landmark building, Don's offers the freshest seafood, steaks,and chops and is a premier dining spot in Northeast Ohio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Don's Lighthouse Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (48)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (20)good for groups (15)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great food and service.SandyDined on 9/28/2014Hadn't been to Don's for a long time and am happy they are still a top restaurant. Good menu and great specials. A real deal on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, not waitressRoy44145Dined on 9/26/2014Nice place, hasn't changed much in 30 years, but very consistent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceRaeRae27VIPDined on 9/13/2014We missed this nice neighborhood gem. Food and service was great as we remembered in the past. Bar area looks like a great place to stop and eat when in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayEvilroyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Wife & I came w/another couple and had high expectations. They were not met. All of the food was okay, but underwhelming. Appetizers, consisting of salads and escargot were fine. Table agreed entrees, scallops, salmon, and walleye were ok, but wouldn't order them again. My togarashi seared tuna was a lowlight. Looked like a mess in a bowl. The wasabi creme got mixed into the miso broth, making it look like fatty globules. Tuna looked like it had been cut with a knife that wasn't sharp. It did taste better than it looked. Service was clumsy and awkward. A tray full of food missed my wife's head by no more than 2 inches. In Cleveland's increasingly competitive restaurant scene you just need to do better.Special Features:
- mimiDined on 8/25/2014We had a really good time. Our waitress was very nice. We enjoyed our 24th year anniversary date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchScottVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great meal, service was outstanding. I have been going to Don's for over 30 years, never disappointed. I had 4 guests and they enjoyed menu options and have and outstanding server,Special Features:
- Celebrate in Cleveland at Don'solive3meDined on 8/23/2014We were celebrating several events in our lives and decided to dine at Don's Lighthouse for a special outing with friends. This was our first time and I was afraid that it might be a bit high-end and stuffy for our group. But I shouldn't have worried. Our hostess invited us to relax in the lounge with a cocktail, even though we had hit our reservation time. The lounge was low key,warm, and welcoming. We even considered dining right there except that our table looked so much more inviting. The wait staff was attentive, read the mood of our group, and kept up the lively table ambiance. Food outstanding - fresh and flavorful seafood. We'll be returning for maybe a quieter dinner for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerRupertDined on 8/23/2014Went for our 1st anniversary and the food was delicious. Started with the calamari which was nothing special but my scallops on asparagus risotto was delicious. My husband got the King crab which were also delicious but quite expensive. Ended the night with a complimentary lemon blueberry cheesecake which was outstanding. Overall it was a great place to spend a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gigantic Portions, OK QualitysorpresivoDined on 8/16/2014The food portions look gargantuan to me, but seem to be on par with other local restaurants. Wide variety of seafood available. The tilapia was overcooked and I expected more of a pistachio crust covering. One appetizer is good for 3-4 people. I would give this place another try mainly because I suspect there are other menu items that are better prepared than what I had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTobyDined on 8/14/2014I took my wife here after reading about this place. Manager was hands on and working the door, reservation was just as we asked; right by a window. Brian was our server and gave us perfect service. Polite, knowledgable, and perfect timing. We had the stuffed mushrooms and shrimp cocktail for apps. We had the filet and lobster and the twin lobster tails for dinner. It was very good. Both those dishes are $10 off Thursday and Sunday. Highly recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location and foodbayvillagefoodiesDined on 8/4/2014Don's location at the end of the Shoreway makes it quite accessible for clients coming from east and certainly easy to reach from all points west. Our server was quite attentive and all four meals were excellent. The Great Lakes Walleye was yummy and two of four of us enjoyed that. The others had the salmon and seemed to enjoy that equally. We passed on dessert because we had all enjoyed the delicious bread a bit too much. We let the restaurant having had a delightful evening.Special Features:
- HineseDined on 8/2/2014Absolutely wonderful experience. Every time I have been there the staff is so welcoming and helpful in making decisions because it is so hard to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT old standardKaminDined on 8/1/2014This restaurant is like an old friend. Can always count on it for GREAT food, GREAT service, GREAT drinks and a warm, cozy atmosphere. This time we took family from out-of-state, and they loved it as much as us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jbob49Dined on 7/27/2014The surf and turf special was very very good. The escargots were the best.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodLudwikaVIPDined on 7/23/2014All Don's Lighthouse meals are very well prepared...the seafood is outstanding...fresh...my favorite is their scallop dishes. Its seafood chowder is excellent as well. Wine list is good and their are many reasonable ones of which to pick. If you want fresh, excellent seafood just minutes from downtown Cleveland, this is one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Pleasant Dining ExperienceKaminDined on 7/12/2014As always, the drive from the east side to the west side was worth it. Great food, great service, good wine and pleasant "old-fashioned" atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lucylocketDined on 7/7/2014We received a gift certificate and enjoyed a wonderful lunch on Monday! Upon arriving we were greeted with a smile from the hostess that made us feel welcome. We sat in the lounge which reminded me of a ships galley. Very calming in deep blue with beautiful grained wood. The bar attendant came over and welcomed up also. She was very pleasant and accommodating. We had the Seafood Chowder as an appetizer. The flavor was amazing, served hot and with delicious crusty bread and crackers. My husband had the enjoyed Walleye; I had the Nantucket Scallops. Both were prepared to perfection. It was a great lunch and a good value! Visit Don's Lighthouse Grille; you will not be disappointed:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCleEatsDined on 7/6/2014Don's Lighthouse is on my list of regular places to go out for seafood; it's usually reliable for food and atmosphere. This last visit, for whatever reason, the service was terrible. The server seemed to have a chip on his shoulder from the minute we declined drinks. He was curt with us, and we waited a long time between stops at our table. His tone bordered on rude. The meal was good, a little greasier than normal. The cheesecake tasted like it had been sitting around for a while. The experience with a server (and the cheesecake) left a bad taste in my mouth. It will be a while before I go back, and next time we'll just sit at the bar.
- Don's Lighthouse Grille - Not Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014We had a late dinner for our 34th Anniversary. Our tab was just about $200. The filets were really bad ... so oversalted in parts you couldn't even eat the meat. Had to grab a glass of water to wash the salt away. Almost non-existant fingerling potatoes. (Ran out?) The waitress was semi-surly and her dry 'wit' was not appreciated. Maybe she was just tired, but the day was important to us and we wish we had gone elsewhere.
- Great foodJennaDined on 6/21/2014The food was delicious!All four of our group members enjoyed their experience and food. For it being the restaurant near the beach and labeled the "lighthouse" we expected it to be a little more exciting scenery wise, but was still a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014We enjoyed the evening the service was good. Nice selection on the menu to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitCrationsDined on 6/19/2014First time . Surf and turf. Steak was very good. Lobster lacked that "lobsters taste". Simple house salad very skimpy for price. Need to revisit and sample more of the fare to be fair. Service was very good. Our waiter Brian very good.Special Features:
- Nice experienceTJ23Dined on 6/16/2014Restaurant was quiet but nice for our family celebration. Food was good and wait staff helpful.Special Features:
- DisappointedCleMomDined on 6/15/2014We went to celebrate Father's Day. My girls were really looking forward to taking their dad out to a fancy restaurant. Boy was I taken back when I saw a majority of guests were wearing shorts & t-shirts for dinner. Biggest disappointment was the food...if you're going to charge $40 for a steak you darn well better know how to cook it properly. There are far too many other amazing restaurants in this city now that do know how & I don't mind paying for it. This used to be a special place with nostalgia & good food...now it just seems outdated. It's really too bad. Our server Brian was very good on the other hand & still made the evening special for my girls & their dad.
- Excellent food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the food. Service was ok, nothing special. Will be back though as food really was good. We had French onion soup, calamari, steak & lobster tail, and the Delmonico steak, all were excellent.Special Features:
- cfoodluverDined on 6/10/2014While visiting Cleveland for work decided to take husband along. I Googled restaurants in Cleveland and Don's Lighthouse had excellent reviews. We ordered the mussels as an appetizer and Chilean sea bass and Nantucket Scallops for entrée. All were completely amazing, surpassed the reviews. It was definitely a meal to remember. Service was excellent and I will return for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Our FavoritesKaminDined on 6/8/2014When we make the trip from the east side to the west side for an event, one of the high points is to dine at Don's Lighthouse Grille. Food, service and atmosphere are always great. Always an enjoyable experience, and so nice to still be able to dine here after all these years--comforting. Good specials on various days of the week. Bar crowd seem to enjoy their time also.Special Features:
- SilverAnnivCoupleDined on 6/3/2014Don's was quiet and a perfect setting for our 25th Anniversary dinner. Food was excellent. We were not crowded in and we were left plenty of time for quiet and private conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Impressed!gsmithDined on 6/3/2014Family and friend's dined here for the first time to celebrate my brother birthday and we were all so impressed and enjoyed the whole dining experience. The food was excellent! The service was excellent! The prices were very reasonable especially for the portions. I definitely would recommend this restaurant and will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 297 reviews are from the Don's Lighthouse Grille reviews archive.
- Favorite Dining SpotSunnytimesVIPDined on 5/30/2014All four of us enjoyed our meals. Our server was beyond outstanding. She was prompt, courteous & efficient. Our meals were served to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very consistent overallTeachDined on 5/25/2014Excellent dinner for the two of us...took advantage of $10 discount on Sunday for the steak and lobster. Totally amazing! Complimentary desert for husband's b'day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dons LighthouseKeliraeDined on 5/15/2014Excellent bar, great dinner specials, top of line seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pistachio crusted tilapiaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014The service specifically Adam was great. the meal I ordered did not have any flavor and the sauces served with the dish while colorful were tasteless. The meal sounds better than prepared. A hint of salt or pepper would help. Just a suggestion wouldn't take much. The Tilapia had no flavor what so ever. My mom enjoyed her steak, I was impressed with how they butterflied the steak to ensure it was prepared to her liking.
- Awesome dining experienceMamaDined on 5/9/2014Second time dining at this establishment. Drove 3 hours for my husband's birthday. His favorite place, by far!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, long wait for it30thanniversarycoupleDined on 5/9/2014This was our first visit to Don's Lighthouse. It was a birthday celebration for our 24 year old son. It took over one hour to get our four entrees. While we did not complain, our waiter apologized and did not charge us for our drinks. While the food was very good, the wait was ridiculous. The atmosphere to us seemed to be old school with heavy drapes, low light, and outdated decor.Special Features:
- Great food!RasaDined on 5/8/2014Stopped for pre-theater dinner. Dinner was very good. Lobster tail cooked to perfection! Asparagus was crisp tender. You could not ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No interest in returningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/6/2014Male Hostess on May 6, 2014 wasn't very welcoming and barely said hello. The food was bland and could use more seasoning. On a positive note our waitress was great!
- Consistently GoodreelchipDined on 5/3/2014I have bee coming here for years. Great atmosphere, good food and usually good service. They have two menus. bar and dining room you can order off either,Special Features:
- AlalalalDined on 5/1/2014We sat in the lounge so it was pretty noisy. The main restaurant was much quieter; we'll sit there next time. Steak & lobster special was excellent.
- MrRaineDined on 4/30/2014The food was okay, but certainly not worth the price. The server was very kind and offered good suggestions. Not a place we'll be visiting again anytime soon, but may consider giving it a try for the weekday specials.Special Features: