1001 SE Water Avenue
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.clarklewispdx.com/
- Phone: 5032352294x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: monday thru friday 11.30- 2.00
DINNER: monday thru saturday 5.30- late
HAPPY HOUR: mon thru sat 4.30- 6.30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Kyo Koo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: The KINDLING ROOM is our intimate and dramatic private room available for up to 24 seated guest for dinner and up to 40 for standing cocktail reception.
A word from clarklewis
A bustling eatery in the central eastside industrial district serving Italian inspired local, organic, seasonal, sustainable fare. clarklewis has received many honors since opening, including restaurant of the year (the Oregonian), 10 most notable new restaurants of 2004 (Wall Street Journal) and 10 hottest new restaurants of the year (msn.com) Dinner reservations are highly recommended, however most evenings we have walk-in availability on a first come first servedContinued
basis. Bar counter space is first come first served as well. Online booking available up to a party of 6.
basis. Bar counter space is first come first served as well. Online booking available up to a party of 6.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
clarklewis - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
clarklewis reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (91)special occasion (51)good for groups (46)neighborhood gem (45)romantic (35)hot spot (27)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (17)great for outdoor dining (17)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (12)great for brunch (7)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Worth the visitwhidbeygirlDined on 10/13/2014We planned a visit here on our way to Southern Oregon, and were not disappointed with the restaurant. We started in the bar, and had an excellent hors d'oeuvres suggested by our waiter with wine. That waiter turned out to be our dinner waiter and continued to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable. We ordered the sampler and loved all except the main course which just did not seem to be as good as all the other tastes. If we returned, we would just do the happy hour in the bar with nibbles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothingifnotcriticalVIPDined on 10/7/2014They must been having a bad night. It took us 2 hours to get our food... they apologized and gave us a credit but nothing makes up for a ruined evening.
- Not what it used to be.DisappointedDined on 10/4/2014ClarkLewis used to be on my list of places to go in Portland. After this last couple of visits, I was disappointed. This is a beautiful time of year for fresh fruits, but the Heirloom Salad used tasteless tomatoes. Seems to be still catering to its past reputation. Did the chef change?Special Features:
- Go for lunch if weather is lousyelwynDined on 10/2/2014Great food and service, but when it is nice out they open the large windows (good!) and when the trains go by several times an hour you cannot hear each other talk (not so good). It's a noisy space, anyway, and the trains just make it unbearable. So go at night and only in bad weather if you go for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, well-designed menubrainstormingDined on 9/30/2014Delicious, fresh, organic, seasonal food. Converted industrial space with functional and aromatic oak-fired hearth in the open kitchen. Informed staff provides solid advise on local cheese and wines. Innovative bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second VisitGoodglassofwineDined on 9/27/2014First visit was a team dinner for work and had a very good experience. Decided to take my wife for a wedding anniversary based on first experience and my second visit lacked to provide me with a similar feeling. Server was off with good table side manner. Waters weren't refilled without effort. Very few smiles from the service team. Kitchen seemed to be out of sync that night. While food was good it took awhile to arrive. With all the variety of dining in Portland, Clarklewis is going to have to step up its game for me to choose to go back on my dime. It was just OK this time.Special Features:
- Another wonderful dinnerLovejacksonVIPDined on 9/26/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants! Another great evening with wonderful service and fantastic dishes.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Our service was incredibly slow and we were short on time. We thought we had plenty of time until we had to wait over and hour just to be served our appetizer.
- Great Foid and fun atmospherejericksenDined on 9/19/2014Lots of energy and great food. Couldn't ask for anything more on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best tasting menu format - PortlandTGF58VIPDined on 9/19/2014A few friends and I enjoyed an exceptional evening at clarklewis. We all went in on the tasting menu and not only were the various courses amazing, the format is by far the best deal in Portland! We received three different menu 1tems for each of the 4 courses, so all of us got to sample 12 different items, each with plenty more than 1 bite per person. And you can't beat the price for all that food. The pastas were favorites but every item of every course impressed all of us. I would highly recommend clarklewis to anyoneSpecial Features:
- Yummy!datenightDined on 9/18/2014creative and fresh. I tried (and liked) foods that I thought I didn't like (and I like most things so my list of no foods is short and firm, or so I thought).....great service, great value for the creative and delicious "gourmet" feeling meal. The chef's taster meal was almost too much to eat and a great value. Would certainly go again!Special Features:
- Fabulous findKariDined on 9/16/2014We visited for our first time on our anniversary this week. Our reservation was at 7 and we were early and they were able to seat us. The manager wished us a happy anniversary and then we were greeted by our server with a complimentary glass of sparkling wine! Service was on point,and maybe a little slow at some points. However, we were not in a hurry so it did not bother us at all. We shared an appetizer, each had a salad and an entrée. Portion sizes were appropriate ,though my husband wished for a little larger prion of his ribeye. Dessert was complimentary for our special occasion as well. We were spoiled rotten and will be back! What a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't disappointmcmpdxDined on 9/16/2014While I love the seafood at clarklewis, each time I have their pasta, it is some of the best pasta I have ever had! This week, their fresh pasta was something with crab and again it was superb. This remains one of my favorite restaurants in Portland, particularly when the weather is nice and the front windows/walls are all opened up.Special Features:
- OTfanVIPDined on 9/10/2014Simply outstanding. Terrific food presented beautifully by a top notch staff. Can't beat it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Order the tasting menu!TShlaesDined on 9/9/2014Fabulous food! Get the tasting menu and try everything on the menu. Fun to share with a small group. Great service tooSpecial Features:
- Hot evening in PortlandLostlusterVIPDined on 9/6/2014Manager accommodated a move of our group of 8 in a professional manner - too hot on a rare 97 degree day. Food was simply wonderful and inventive. Warm Radicchio salad with parmesan was delicious; every entree was great. Steak person said "best steak of his life". Salmon small portion but lovely too. Love this place. Portland has a zillion restaurants. ClarkLewis is one that has stood test of time by reinventing the menu and keeping food topnotch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very uncomfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014We did not realize that this restaurant is open air and does not use air conditioning (although they apparently have it). Plus they had a roaring fire in the kitchen that is open to the dining area. It was a very warm evening and we remember the heat far more than the food.
- Great food, busy atmosphereNutmegDined on 9/6/2014Great food, great service. Always great seasonal items and presented nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very satisfying dining experiencekaterinaDined on 9/4/2014Great wine list. Consistently flavorful! We hope to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CL11goose19VIPDined on 9/4/2014An old favorite of mine. Esp. during warm days when they have all the garage shutters up but it does increase the noise level from the outside. Food is well presented and prepared. The heirloom tomato salad with just a few shavings of red radish and arugula provided a nice contrast to the sweetness of heirloom tomatoes. Risotto was very good, but the caviatelli pasta was a bit disappointing. Wines by the glass are reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as alwaysdreadtreadDined on 9/2/2014There's nothing on the menu that will disappoint, and although somewhat limited, the items on the wine list has been carefully selected to pair wonderfully with everything on the menu. While Clarklewis is great for the well-heeled patron, there are also suitable options for a moderately priced meal and a wonderful light dinner can easily be had by combining a few of the appetizers. The atmosphere is geared very much towards adults and only rarely is the noise level distracting, even when seated near the bar. Service is excellent and the knowledgeable staff come ready with suggestions. Farm to fork at its finest! Bon apetit.Special Features:
- ImpressedracerxDined on 8/29/2014Jaded as we may with the Portland dining scene, you have to recognize quality, attention to detail, attention to the ingredients. Attended with 4 business partners from overseas. Ordered the tasting menu, when you have large group, pretty much be ready for everything on the menu. Impressed with the salads and appetizers, it is the peak of the summer season and the heirloom tomatoes where fantastic. Pasta dishes that where plentiful and cooked to perfection, the sauces providing brilliant complement. Main dishes where fantastic. Although I was less impressed with the fish and most impressed with the pork loin. Deserts where all fantastic, again in the peak of summer berry season. All in all a wonderful evening. Masterful service.Special Features:
- Very disappointingpdxdinnerDined on 8/29/2014We had a very mediocre meal on Friday night. The artichokes appetizer was minuscule and the outer leaves had to be thrown away. Of 4 pastas and entrees, none of us was pleased- salmon was tiny, pork was tough, lamb ragu with no lamb. Even the coffee was old. However, the strawberry shortcake was delicious. I could not recommend this restaurant to my friends. It used to be one of Portland's great. What has something happened here?
- ClarklewisportlandfoodtimeDined on 8/29/2014Went here for my birthday and my experience was great! The food was delicious and the staff were attentive and very nice. And they noticed I had a present on the table and brought me out desert for my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A First Trip to clarklewisPablo57VIPDined on 8/28/2014We had not been to clarklewis before and for the most part it was a good experience. We thought the menu very well thought out and our server was a total pro. Dinner was uneven at times with the best of it easily very good but then there were disappointments in the appetizers. The room works fine and yet the finish of the materials helped make the noise level energetic at minimum. We were next to a large group of business men who were definitely enjoying themselves, but then that's just bad luck and no knock on the restaurant.Special Features:
- David11217Dined on 8/26/2014The food was absolutely wonderful and the service was excellent. We had only 2 complaints: there is no air conditioning (and it was a VERY hot evening) and the noise level was high. We still liked it a lot and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Open air neighborhood gemSpeedyLHDined on 8/23/2014Loved this restaurant! Elegant but comfortable and casual with the summer breezes wafting through keeping the diners cool despite the warm evening. Menu is locally inspired with so many options and perfectly presented and prepared. The salads are beautiful and delicious, the salmon and albacore perfect! Perfect portions and Service good- will be back! We enjoy trying Portland's restaurants and this is one worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceDontgetaroundmuchDined on 8/23/2014Had a nice meal for our anniversary - we don't get out much, so took a bit of a chance trying this restaurant out. We had the chef's tasting menu, which was very good - and allowed us to try things we most likely would have not chosen on its own. We aren't very adventurous, and were pleasantly surprised at how good the combination of their plates were. Great food, and the service was great as well. Was a bit loud - but to be expected with the open-air setup of the restaurant (train horns, live music from a nearby restaurant, etc.). Seems like they save plenty of tables for walk-ins - there were no opentable reservations between 6-8, but plenty of tables available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portland visitorNan22Dined on 8/19/2014We needed a good meal and decided to choose ClarkLewis. Nice variety on the menu, I had the prime rib, spouse had a pork loin. All perfectly done. Great wait staff. All ready recommended to friends and family. A little noisy, but not to the extreme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food and vibrance!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014The pork belly risotto was outstanding! A regular for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DatenightVIPDined on 8/15/2014Active bar scene along Water avenue. Weekend hot spot for socializing. Food was very good. Staff helpful and pleasant but at peak times this is a very busy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Predictily excellentMrfearlessVIPDined on 8/15/2014We took some young out of town relatives there because the food is always excellent, the service gracious and attentive, and the bar and wine list inventive and expansive. We were not disappointed. The only disappointment, and this is not the restaurant's fault, was the near-deafening noise level, exacerbated by two, very-long freight trains, horns ablazing every 30 second for about 10 minutes long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm still thinking about my pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014...three days later, and I'm wondering if I can recreate it at home. All of our food was tasty, tempting and well-seasoned. Our server was polite, elegant, and most importantly, attentive without being over-bearing. The reason I went with four stars though, is that my husband had to continually shoo fruit flies away from his wine glass and the noise level. I wish that PDX restaurants wouldn't compete with the loudness of the crowds by cranking their music even louder. The music itself was unoffensive, but it wasn't special; it wasn't something I needed to hear. My companion, however, was someone I wanted to hear.Special Features:
- Just right82pastasDined on 8/12/2014Our family- favorite place for celebrations. The food manages to be interesting yet simple, the flavors of each ingredient coming through - no mélange here. The waiters we've had are professional in the best sense of the word.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!!eatingduoDined on 8/11/2014This is the second time that we have dined here and it was excellent once again. Service, food, drinks , and ambience all make this place a great experience!Special Features:
- Solid go to restaurantJJpdxVIPDined on 8/11/2014I have been going to Clarklewis for years and always enjoy good service and consistently good food. I tend to follow the direction of the staff when selecting food and drink and have never been mislead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!SamAdamsVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food, atmosphere and staff are fantastic! I like the seats that face the street that in good weather are open air.Special Features:
- Loved itwspalsDined on 8/5/2014The food, service and atmosphere was great! Our first time to Portland and this was our favorite spot so far!Special Features:
- A Fun Night in PortlandeatlocalDined on 8/2/2014We really enjoyed ourselves at clarklewis. The staff made us feel welcome and the food was completely awesome.Special Features:
- good place, too hotJeffVIPDined on 8/1/2014Went back to this place to enjoy the wood fired food. The food was quite good, as was the service. But, no air conditioning on a 90+ degree day made our dinner a hot and sweaty affair. Not my idea of a good evening. In all fairness, the staff opened up the roll up doors for good effect to let the breeze help cool us. But either go late or come back on a cooler day.I would recommend this to a friend.