101, 899 Centre Street SW
Calgary, AB T2G 1B8Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charcut.com/
- Phone: 4039842180
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Connie DeSousa and John Jackson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from CHARCUT
"Top Chef" season 1 finalist, Connie DeSousa Co-Chef / Owner of this new restaurant located in Downtown Calgary. Featuring urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar. A contemporary and inviting gathering place, CHARCUT combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and Country French accents. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels. Open late night with a full menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
CHARCUT - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
CHARCUT reviews from OpenTable diners
301 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (197)special occasion (154)great for lunch (106)good for groups (102)hot spot (92)notable wine list (72)romantic (59)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (24)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- The human elementOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014After struggling through the short, ill defined, and somewhat off-putting menu, we found the food to be excellent; however, the entire night was ruined by poorly trained staff, horrible table placement, and a waiter that seemed to take vacations during the night. I would not recommend this place as there are other places in Calgary that serve food just as good, with staff that's trained to care.
- First Night out with the BabyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Our baby turned 6 months old and we wanted to do something intimate with my wife and I. We decided on Charcut and called ahead of time to make sure having a baby was cool. They took care of us from beginning to end. He loved the environment and wasn't fussy at all. The staff were very attentive and the food was amazing. We hear lots of horror stories about eating out with a baby but Charcut and their staff made sure we were taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We choose this restaurant for a special occasion we were celebrating. Mel, our server, was very knowledgeable and helped us out on what to choose. Everything was super flavourful and we waddled out stuffed. It is a bit pricey depending on how many choices you make, so not a restaurant we would choose on a regular basis. It was perfect for our special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalSturdygirlDined on 8/25/2014Exceptional food in a great downtown location. Having lived in Europe and experienced some great cured meats charcuteries and Spain and Paris...this was every bit as good, and then some. Simply divine, cant wait until my next visit. Huge potions, great service. A great way to put Calgary on the dining map. Best restaurant in Calgary (and far beyond)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed!jamesDined on 8/22/2014I choose Charcut on a recommendation from a friend, and I was very impressed. Not only was the food outstanding, but the service was superb. Our server was very knowledgeable, very professional, and very attentive. I would definitely recommend Charcut to everyone! Thank you for a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time eating red meat!PiggingoutDined on 8/22/2014Vancouverites deciding to try Charcut while in Calgary. We ordered the charcut board (smaller option), tomato salad for the entree we did family style, ordering some red meat with chimichurri sauce and summer squash and duck poutine as sides. Boyfriend loved the tomato salad described it as being very sweet tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and was thankful it wasn't drenched in olive oil. My favourite dishes was the salami and steak. It was extremely flavourful and very tender. Aside from the salad and charcuterie board, it would've been nice to have our dinner come out warm as opposed to room temp. It took away from the possible amazing flavours. Service was attentive but quite cold i.e. no smiles, minimal eye contact, dry repetitive jokes.Special Features:
- As expectedbirthdaygirl21Dined on 8/21/2014Great food as always. Service was lacking in timing. Waited too long for the sever to come back with our waters and at the end with our bill. Can't keep to a guaranteed 45min in and out lunch if they're not prompt...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must VisitEmpireKittieDined on 8/20/2014If you love great food & yummy meat Charcut is the place to go! Every time my husband & I come to Calgary this is a must stop at restaurant. From the amazing cocktails (we love the Dark & Stormy and the 1969; a distilled gin caesar martini, yummy!!) to the delicious desserts (usually end with the cheesecake & chocolate parfait), every meal is a fantastic experience. The service is always wonderful, friendly and they can never do enough to make sure your meal is perfection. Now with the new menu we are even more excited to go back!Special Features:
- one offOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014I've been here many times and i've always received great service and food was always great. I came here recently for the quick lunch stop "in-and-out in 45 mins" and my food didnt come out until 40mins into the wait. I just packed the food and left with no time to eat and barely enough time to return to workSpecial Features:
- Charcut delivers again! 😊FlowerdrumsongVIPDined on 8/19/2014Thank you once again for a lovely meal. My friend who was with me during our lunch was blown away by the tastiness, freshness, and the wholesome food that we just had. As it was a going-away lunch for her, she was very happy that she gets to spend her one last meal in downtown at Charcut because it was really worth going to! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charcut reviewTtna99Dined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is pretty noisy. The service is really, really slow - our server rarely check on us and didn't even deliver our food. The food is ok. I had the chimichurri steak which was good but I would have loved a little extra sauce. My husband had the prime rib which was pretty tasteless if it weren't for the au jus on top. The highlight for our meal was the sides! The smashed potatoes are amazing, and the poutine was heavy but fantastic!! Overall, our experience was pretty good but I don't think we will rush back there. Between the price of parking, the confusing menu and the average tasting, overpriced mains - not really worth the 3 hour sitting time.Special Features:
- OkLmfpDined on 8/15/2014Small portions, and tables very close together. Service good and food good.
- Absolutely amazing!Lulu123VIPDined on 8/14/2014I don't think I can say enough good things about Charcut. The food is incredible and the service amazing. Our server Amanda went above and beyond--she made great recommendations and she was patient with us and our questions. We shared a charcut board for our appetizer with a beet salad and it was incredible. We then shared several of the entrees for dinner and again it was incredible. The meat was very tasty and tender. I highly recommend visiting Charcut if you get the chance.Special Features:
- very good dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014it is a very nice experience. second time. be careful on what you order ... it can easily be too much !!! the poutine is wow... the dessert are exceptionnal ... everything else is okSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialGmfoodieDined on 8/12/2014Being on the top spots of Urban Spoon, we were expecting much more. 2 items of the menu were not available, service had flaws (we got a dirty plate, sparkling water that was still twice, and food that was not ours was brought to our table twice. Food was unmemorable in general. On the plus side, truffle fries were good.
- is this the best restaurant ?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014the food was great. don't miss the beet salad. The best Prime rib we ever had and the poutine is great. if you have a chance have a meal at Charcut.Special Features:
- Off their game?DLPCANADAVIPDined on 8/11/2014I regularly eat at Charcut (3-4 times per month). This time the service was tired and a bit lazy, the sparkling water isn't so sparkling (told thats the way it is), the lunch all st once which used to be promoted as 'in and out in 45mins' took 50 mins to get to table after being seated (no expaination when I asked what happened). Hope this isn't a trend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceHou1VIPDined on 8/10/2014What a shame that a restaurant with such good food has such terrible service. It took over 35 minutes to get my starter (which was not even a cooked dish) and only after I asked to speak to the manager. With so many other good restaurants around, do I really want to go back and deal with such bad service? One waitperson and bad kitchen staff can really ruin things.Special Features:
- NettiDined on 8/10/2014We really like the food, it is different and we love the presentation. The service is outstanding. It is a bit noisy but I personally like it, feels vibrant and alive. We would like to come with family next time because it is ideal for groups and kids.Special Features:
- Thank you for a great eveningthanksforeverythingDined on 8/9/2014The staff was outstanding and the food was delicious. I have recommended you in the past and will visit again. We were looked after beyond the required and it was absolutely appreciated. Thank you very much for everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to the parzenmasterDined on 8/9/2014Had high expectation from reading the previous reviews, but very disappointed after dining there. 1. A whole fish for two cost us 58dollars, which is ridiculous, taste bland, not doing justice for the fish itself. 2. four little buns with a small potion melted cheese cost us 16 dollars, which is outrageous. 3. bone marrow and duck fat poutine are ok, and reasonable priced. 4. carrot cake is the disaster 5. the plating needs to be improved dramatically Overall, the décor and service are meeting our expectations, but the food and the price let us down. Hope they can improve in the near future because I have been a fan of Connie since watched her compete in the Top Chef Canada.Special Features:
- Very goodVenus1973Dined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner, and our server was fantastic. Charcut does a very good job of being an upscale deli experience. They have an interesting way of presenting the foods, and an obvious focus on customer service. This is not like a typical restaurant dining experience and I would recommend this as an exploration of a "different kind of dinner out". The only negative was I had commented in the OpenTable booking that it was a special occasion and would like a dessert "surprise" brought to us at the end (that I would pay for). This did not happen. However when I mentioned it, the server jumped right on it and made it right. All in all a great evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placelassDined on 8/7/2014the service was great ..food was amazing...the wine was great as well.The ambiance was lovely ...stayed there for 2.5 hours without even feeling itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticAlyssaneisDined on 8/7/2014I took two out of province friends here for dinner last week. One of them was from Rhode Island and was weary to order steak because she never really liked it. I convinced her to order it and she only stopped eating once to say "I didn't know steak could be this good!". Alberta raises it best and Charcut serves it best. Order the poutine with truffle gravy to accompany your steak, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Excellent MealZookVIPDined on 8/6/2014Overall excellent meal. Phenomenal skillet sausage, prime rib and pork chop. Excellent beer list. Only disappointment was with the desserts. Well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014We arrived at 6:30 and didn't finish until 8:50. We ordered an appetizer each and an entrée. The time to receive our wine, appetizer and entrée was unacceptable. Our server was quite apologetic and was attentive but this was out of her control. The food was okay but not what you would expect for a bill of $170 before tip. We would not return and do not recommend this restaurant. We have many really good restaurants in our city I just do not include Char as one of them.Special Features:
- Great food, great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014Food was amazing, the cocktail list was long and the drinks were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014Good service with great food. Ideal place for group lunch.Special Features:
- OverpricedDisappointedDined on 8/4/2014Since we were staying in the Hotel and going to see Rod Stewart we decided to have dinner at Charcut. Menu looked enticing and my wife wanted to try the Poutine. We ordered a glass of wine each, waitress brought my wife the wrong wine, a white instead of the red she ordered. Wines are pricey. We ordered the Slow Roasted 1/4 chicken, could not taste the fennel or apple and was more like size of a 1/4 Cornish Hen. We also ordered the Spragg Farms skillet sausage. Very tasty with layers of flavoring but small portion. Sizes more like pricey appetizers. Also ordered 2 sides to go with the meats. The Duck Fat Poutine truffle gravy was absolutely delicious and a good portion and reasonably priced. Grilled zucchini good portion but tasteless.Special Features:
- All around great experienceSunshineDined on 8/2/2014We had an exceptional experience at CHARCUT! The food was delicious! We ordered appetizers, entrees, desserts and they were all very tasty. We were also very pleased with the service. Our waitress was professional, courteous and personable. Overall, we had a great experience at CHARCUT.Special Features:
- We'll be backYEGFoodLoverDined on 8/2/2014A special occasion brought us to Charcut, and we loved the evening of indulgent. We recommend this restaurant to anyone, but caution those who may not have deep pockets. It is a tad on the pricey side, so be prepared to spend a bit if you're going.Special Features:
- Great placeKrogerDined on 7/29/2014Our request was accommodated and the meal was good. Could've use a bit more on my plate though, left just slightly satisfied.Special Features:
- Delicious!Krystal23Dined on 7/27/2014Amazing service and food. Our server suggested we start with the half charcuterie board and then share a few items so we could taste a variety of dishes and we were very pleased! Only regret is that were were so stuffed by the end of our main we had no room for dessert. We will be back next time we are in Calgary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pampered to the HiltVictorPDined on 7/26/2014We started with a half-size charcuterie board piled high with lamb ham, salami, and pig head mortadella. My wife had the pan seared PEI halibut fillet in polenta and I had the chimichurri butcher steak with wild arugula. Our shared side dish was summer squash with fennel and goat cheese. Dessert was blackberry cheesecake, and salted caramel and milk chocolate pudding. We paired everything with a bottle of 2012 Joie Muscat. Our server, Aisha, took very good care of us the whole time.Special Features:
- dinnerfor6Dined on 7/26/2014We ahd an excellent waiter by the name of Zack. Charcut as very accomodating to gluetin and dairy allergies. We were a group of 6 and recieved timely and very pleasant service. Zack was very knowledgable about the menu and wine list. It was a great overall dining experience. I would definately recommend this restaurant to any oen of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat Pie RocksBuffaloBobVIPDined on 7/26/2014Had dinner here with friends and received the best service I've experienced in a long time. We weren't quite sure what to have and had the Hunters Meat Pie and the Tomahawk Pork Chop recommended for 5 of us by our very patient waitress. What a great meal and just the right amount. Flavours were outstanding, and we gnawed that pork chop right down to the bone, all three of them that is. The Hunters Meat Pie is not to be missed. Just a great evening all around. Thanks CharCut. We'll be seeing you soon!!Special Features:
- Yummy!dsbyycDined on 7/22/2014I had the express lunch with warm cookies to go. The food was fantastic, portions generous (I couldn't eat it all) and I really liked the way the wait staff worked as a team - attentive and lovely people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent meal in calgaryVincentLDined on 7/19/2014excellent meal in calgary in somewhat of a hor spot. nice service, impeccable food, nice charcuteries and beef, nice wines... we had a good night there!Special Features:
- DisappointedLuv2dineDined on 7/19/2014We had supper at Charcut based on a friend's recommendation. We were looking forward to the creativity and flavors that we had read about in restaurant reviews and from our friend. We were unfortunately disappointed. We both had salads to start, the beet salad and tomato salads. They were presented nicely but lacked flavour. We both had prime rib as we had heard about Albertan beef and were looking forward to it. The roast was cooked nicely but the meat again did not have much flavour and was a little on the tough side. The sides were huge portions but I was disappointed to see that summer squash was only zucchini. Overall, I felt the meal was lacking flavour and was expensive for what we got and did not justify the rave reviews.
- Great flavours and unique menu.mcbride50Dined on 7/18/2014Fabulous meal with superb flavours! The charcuterie board had a great selection of meats, so much so, that the four of us couldn't finish it. The pork entree was very good and the fries second to none. I would recommend having one or two familiar beers on the menu for those who aren't adventurous. A good selection of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.