Brennan's of Houston
3300 Smith Street
Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
Brennan's of Houston
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.brennanshouston.com/
- Phone: 7135229711x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM, Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:45 PM- 10:00 PM
Jackets Preferred - NO Shorts, Flip-Flops, Torn Jeans, Beach Wear or Athletic Wear will be Seated
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Danny Trace
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We know that each event is special and at Brenan’s, our mission is to make your event a great memory.
From 10-150, we offer several dining rooms to accommodate your party size as well as full restaurant buy-outs.
Ballroom-seats up to 160: One of Houston's oldest and most distinguished private party settings which may be divided into 3 smaller rooms.
Little Room-seats up to 18: Great for an intimate group.
Solarium-seats up to 40: Whimsical design perfect for casual luncheon.
Courtyard Balcony-seats up to 30: Beautiful view of the Courtyard can be enjoyed from every table in this second floor dining room.
Wine Room-seats up to 30: An elegant second floor working wine room.
John Staub-seats up to 36: Named after the building's famed architect, this cozy room enjoys a fireplace and outdoor views.
Terms of Endearment-seats up to 30: Named after the movie which was filmed in part here.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Wilker 7135353380x
- Entertainment: For weekend diners, Brennan’s Creole Jazz Brunch remains a four-star tradition among Houston's Sunday brunch enthusiasts. The air is filled with an abundance of tantalizing jazz music and the fragrance of fresh flowers; southern mainstays and twists on classic favorites are graciously served in sun-filled dining areas.
A word from Brennan's of Houston
Since our 1967 opening as a sister restaurant to the world-famous Commander’s Palace in New Orleans, Brennan's of Houston has evolved into the city's premier destination for memorable dining served with true Southern hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Brennan's of Houston - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Montrose ›
Brennan's of Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
324 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (255)romantic (208)fit for foodies (163)great for brunch (152)notable wine list (128)great for lunch (98)good for groups (95)neighborhood gem (80)great for outdoor dining (56)hot spot (24)scenic view (18)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (10)Show More
- Amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I dined at Brennan's for my birthday this past weekend, and it was truly an amazing experience! My husband had the special (filet with crab) and I had the pork shank. I have to say, the pork was the best I have ever eaten! I would order it again and again (and my husband would as well!). The staff was fantastic did a wonderful job. Can't wait to find another excuse to come back!Special Features:
- GREAT SERVICE!DedoDined on 10/23/2014Brennan's has the best wait service of any restaurant in Houston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!!ElyseVIPDined on 10/22/2014It has been years since my husband and I have gone there and now we wonder why we waited so long. It was nice to see so many non-shellfish items on the menu since my husband is allergic. There was plenty for me to choose from also....I am a vegitarian. Will go back first chance we get.Special Features:
- Excellent mealGracecatDined on 10/20/2014Had the Redfish Pontchartrain... it was superb. Beautiful ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningJuliejulesDined on 10/19/2014We chose Brennen's for the location as we were meeting family from across town and a place where we could talk easily and a enjoy delicious meal. There were five of us and we all enjoyed our selections. The wine list was extensive and we had great service.Special Features:
- Dine like fine winetexan4evrDined on 10/18/2014Besides the excellent service the ambiance was awesome. Celebrating the wife's birthday with family was special and our waiter made it a pleasant dining experience. The special birthday treat and recognition was memorable. The food was excellent and let's not forget the by your table bananas foster, muah, excellent. Would I recommend this place, you betcha.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not so great serviceDhalkerDined on 10/16/2014The food was nothing short of amazing! But the service we received was definitely lacking. It took about 20 minutes to even take our order. It actually took a while to even get a menu. Maybe it was just a bad night for the wait staff. But I would definitely go back! The turtle soup is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre theatre diningLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 10/16/2014We had an early dinner at Brennan's before seeing a play . The food,service and whole dining experience could not have been better. Our waiter knew we were on a schedule and promptly took our orders and then delivered an excellent dinner to the table . My Turtle Soup was divine and the grilled Mahi Mahi was delicious . Best of all Brennan's provides a shuttle to downtown event venues . Our wonderful dinner was followed by a very relaxed ride in the shuttle to the door of the Hobby Center and then back to the restaurant at the conclusion of the play .Perfect evening !Special Features:
- Nice day dateMsbusinesswomanDined on 10/13/2014Food was great. Service was little slow. We were disappointed that after dinner we could not have one more 25 cent martini at the bar. The bartender stated it was for the lunchro only yet when we were here just one month prior they allowed us to have a 25 cent martini at the bar since we had already eaten and purchased an entree. This left us feeling badly about our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DInnerLIZZYVIPDined on 10/11/2014I took my husband for a nice dinner to Brennan's. The appetizer was very tasty as we ordered turtle soup. They also have a trio soup that let's you sample difference flavors of soups. It was then followed by the main courses and some pecan pie for dessert. We were very pleased with the attentiveness of the waitstaff. I would definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Brennan's has to be one of the top restaurants in Houston if not the top one. Great ambience, food is outstanding, and the service is usually outstanding. Our waiter was good, but we have had more attentive ones. We love the elegance of Brennan's and were a bit disappointed to see an individual at the next table wearing a baseball cap inside the restaurant and attired in blue jeans and a T shirt.Special Features:
- Our 1st Year AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/9/2014We celebrated our 1st Anniversary there on Thursday night; they made sure we had a wonderful romantic table for two; the wait staff provided excellent service all night long and the management even took us on a tour of the wine storage areas and the kitchen areas. It was a perfect night and we will definitely fine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014Brennan's delicious tried and true Louisiana classics are supplemented by creative regional seasonal specialties. The wine list has impressive breadth across regions and varietals. The service is friendly while remaining curteous and professional. This very well run establishment deserves its place near the top of Houston fine dining. I am already looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- BHANVIPDined on 10/9/2014Brennan's - flawless as usual! Freshest fish, creative menu with new dishes based on seasonal produce as well as the dishes that made them famous: Turtle soup, shrimp remoulade, crab cakes and bananas fosters... all done to perfection. What could be better?Special Features:
- Exceptional in HoustonteaTerryDined on 10/8/2014Brennans has one of the best duck dishes we have ever had in the world!! Half a duck very reminiscent of Peking duck but with a slightly sweet crunchy skin. The stuffing is like the fillings used in the primary duck skin pancakes in a really good Taiwanese or Shanghainese restaurant. The lobster enchilada appetizer was also exceptional. Desserts were so-so. John Ramos - the sommelier who's card says "Wine Guy" - was so gracious that he gave us a half hour tour of the kitchen - wow.Special Features:
- Awesome Brunch!!!doxiemommaVIPDined on 10/5/2014Fantastic food and the best value in Houston!! Can't go wrong with anything on the menu!! Today had the Texas Quail Pot Pie, Cauliflower and White Bean Soup, Eggs Benedict, Texas Ratatouille Frittata, Pecan Pie and Ruby's Lemon Meringue Pie. Simply the best food, service and value in Houston. :)Special Features:
- Good experience.LocalDinerDined on 10/4/2014It was a very nice experience for a special occasion. (Sister's 60th birthday.). Our waiter was very patient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedrealEhungryDined on 10/3/2014Had high hopes for this place. Took my girlfriend here for her birthday with hopes of a nice night, but instead had an experience that left us with questions about the type of service provided here. I was told that as you enter, you're greeted and offered cookies. Neither of those happened. There were two other birthdays at the same time we were there, in which the other customers received extra attention and surprises you would normally see at restaurants. However, I guess my girlfriend and I weren't worthy of normal services. I read someone else's review concerning questionable service here, but I didn't want to believe it. Overall food was ok and we tried to make the best of the evening.
- Been a long timeDrewJDined on 10/3/2014I hadn't been to Brennan's in a number of year's, since before the fire. My wife had never been. As we finished our meal, we both remarked that it was one of the best meals that we've had in the three years we've been together. All parts of the meal were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service, Good Foodfood4lifeDined on 10/3/2014Brennan's did not fail to impress. While the food was good, the customer service and atmosphere were oustanding! We recommend the Red Fish Pontchartrain and the White Chocolate Bread Pudding. Also the pralines are actually quite good and this is from a South Carolina and Georgia Pralines connoisseur. It is a great place for special occasions and it will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of NolaGolfDinerDined on 10/2/2014The ambiance of a night in old New Orleans French Quarter captured in Houston. No kidding. Its dat real ting cher.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional, as always.blessedbeDined on 9/30/2014Although one always expects Brennan's to be the epitome of fine dining, it is truly an amazing experience to experience the incredibleness each time you visit. I appreciate having such a gem to share with out-of-town clients. Brilliant food, service and experience. Thank you for creating and maintaining such high standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brennan's is Brennan'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/30/2014Sometimes nothing else will do. Old world. Great service. Delicious food in a QUIET place. Did not have the turtle soup (apparently, everyone else does. Someone heard I was going to Brennan's & told me to BE SURE & have it). The soup du jour sounded so good, we went with that. Can't remember now what it was, but it was great. The whole experience was just really superb. Geoff RussellSpecial Features:
- Brennan's of HoustonOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014Really enjoyed our brunch. The valet parking staff was efficient and professional. We enjoyed our food, although the portion are really significant; we chose to eat salads for dinner! Our server (Eric) and the support staff were attentive, but intrusively so. We enjoyed the musicians as well as the quiet house music; that added to the truly pleasant experience. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Food, service, atmosphere- EXCELENTHoustonFoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Brennan's hits all the right notes. Every one of our dining experiences at Brennan's has been exceptional!Special Features:
- DisappointedDiningOutDined on 9/26/2014We heard great reviews from friends. Our experience was mediocre. We waited at least 15/20min for our wine and cocktails and the entree that was highly recommended was way too salty and heavy. I would have sent it back if I could. I don't foresee is returning to this restuarant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/26/2014Rodney was an awesome server, who talked the kitchen into making me an off the menu appetizer that I had enjoyed during a visit last month. He also gave us quite a show for the Bananas Foster! Thank you, Rodney!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing establishment!!!MarkVIPDined on 9/23/2014Best food ever. This was my first time here and I will definitely be back for special occasions. It's pricey but well worth it once their good hits your lips!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brennan's Keeps CharmPrincessDined on 9/23/2014The new Brennan's has managed to keep the cozy charm of the old restaurant. The service is great. The inside is beautiful. The out door patio is lovely. My only hesitation about the new Brennan's has been the menu. The current menu has a wide spectrum of selections, but very limited choices that I like and I usually end up picking the steak. Dessert are fantastic and the 25 cent martinis at lunch are the best deal in town.Special Features:
- Duck Duck Gooset628Dined on 9/21/2014Our server, Thomas was terrible. He paid little to no attention to us (and his other table) the entire time, instead focusing on one table full of women celebrating a birthday. We asked for a couple minutes to review the menu, he came back 10minutes later. He rarely checked on our table to see if we were ok, to the point where the bussers were actually taking care of us and the sommelier filling our glasses. He was an absolute goose. As for the food, it sounds as if I was the only one of 6 that was disappointed with the food as my duck was overcooked, dry, and not tender. I've been to Brennan's on a few occasions and loved it; this was not one of those times.Special Features:
- Charming, old-style restaurantJeanneDined on 9/21/2014This is such a gem amongst the "new food" scene in Houston. It is what a restaurant experience should be. The staff are professional, polite and very friendly. We felt well taken care of and relaxed when we left. We were celebrating a 12 year old birthday and by the time the band sang to him and they produced a special Birthday dessert with chef's hat, he felt like a special Birthday boy! We love to celebrate special family occassions here as the food is fabulous, the ambiance is quiet and elegant and everyone is attentive to every need. And the new decor is beautiful! Thank you to Brennan's for being a beautiful tradition in Houston.Special Features:
- Poor Service, Inconsistent FoodeatoutalotVIPDined on 9/19/2014My wife's meal was great, my meal was terrible. My plate was hot, but the food was cold. I sent it back and still received a hot plate and cold food with no flavor. Then I ordered a wine (pointed to it on their list and specified the year). When the bill comes the wine they actually served was 4x the price of what we ordered. When I protested their mistake. I was chastised by the sommelier for not paying attention. They ended up discounting the wine to 225.00. We eat dinner out 20+ times a month. Second time in 4 months we have received the wrong wine at a restaurant. Funny they never make a mistake and bring our a cheaper wine. Maybe I am naive in believing they are making an honest mistake. This is an easy way to goose the bill.Special Features:
- Best birthdayRosebudDined on 9/18/2014Our sons 22nd birthday and it surpassed our expectations! Our niece joined us for the Chefs dinner and she said it best "the best meal & time I've ever had!" Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapointedsb23124567VIPDined on 9/13/2014All the hype - all the disappointment Nice decor but the the service was sub-par & the food was average at best. For a restaurant of this caliber as was expecting more.
- Great. Fun.johnnymac555Dined on 9/13/2014The pork shank was great. Always fun to be seated looking out to the courtyard to watch the weddings and goings-ons.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencesaintsgrlVIPDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and impeccable service! The restaurant is quiet and intimate. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveninghTownDined on 9/12/2014Haven't been here in awhile. Now I remember what I was missing! We had reservations but ended sitting in the bar because the service was so good while we were having a cocktail. The Ponchatrain is soooooo delish! Husband had shrimp & grits. Its cooked tableside! The cocktails are dynamite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old schoolbrazucaDined on 9/10/2014Good food but too salty and pricey, it has a history but its culinary cant compete with Houstons new scene.Special Features:
- My favorite!HappyDinerVIPDined on 9/7/2014I love this restaurant !! Food is fabulous!!! Service is perfect!! It is a very special place and makes the diners feel special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lively ambiencedinner42Dined on 9/6/2014It wasn't a romantic dinner for my wife and I as the restaurant was very lively, but ultimately we enjoy it. Food was great, both the starters and the main course. We were a bit disappointed by the dessert, however it could be as well because we're full. Definitely a place to go for southern recipesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.