2183 West 4th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6K 1N7Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bishopsonline.com/
- Phone: (604) 738-2025
- Hours of Operation:
Open for dinner Tuesday to Sunday from 5:30 till closing time.
Closed December 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th and 26th
Closed January 1st until the 22nd for our annual holiday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Ron Shaw
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Wine
A word from Bishop's
The fare at Bishop's is regional and seasonal. In restaurateur John Bishop's view, it makes sense to showcase British Columbia's lush bounty of seafood, organic produce and meats. His exquisite West Side restaurant blends classic and modern flavours with a casual elegance that keeps clients coming back for a truly exceptional dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bishop's - Best Restaurants in Kitsilano ›
Bishop's reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)fit for foodies (90)romantic (84)neighborhood gem (55)notable wine list (47)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Still running strongZamnedersDined on 11/11/2014After many years of putting off a visit to Bishop's, I finally buckled and took my girlfriend for her B-day. Now I see what all the rave reviews are about. The service was very attentive, but not too intruding... just right. The small dining rooms are split between 2 levels and make for a very intimate feel to the restaurant. The menu is very small in comparison to most places with 5 starters and 5 mains, but at the sacrifice of limiting the options, each plate has been refined to perfection. The food... the food was simply amazing. Beautifully plated, just the right size and cooked to perfection. If you are looking for a go-to place for special occasions, let Bishop's top your list.Special Features:
- Never dissapointsvansoccDined on 10/31/2014We have been dining at Bishops for many years and the food, service and ambience seem to improve every time we go there. I highly recommend the rack of lamb it was cooked to perfection and melted in my mouth. We used to only go on special occasions but now we find any excuse to partake in this great dining experience.Special Features:
- Still a ClassicfoodandwinoDined on 10/28/2014John and his team make you feel like you've been welcomed into their home. I still view this as one of Vancouver's best restaurants. As on of the first "farm to table" local advocates the food is great but the service even better. Still a classic after 29 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly DisappointedrankingsmisleadVIPDined on 10/26/2014We were looking forward to having dinner at Bishops last Sunday evening. Started off well and then the service started to slow down. Ordered the salmon. It arrived after awhile and was almost crystalized. I assume it must have been under the heat lamps from some time. We complained to the waiter and had the plates taken away. They comped the cost of the salmon. But, no one came out to apologize and I was more than happy to pay for an excellent meal. The salmon course on the Air Canada flight back to San Francisco the next day was 10 times better than at Bishops.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Beautiful experience from entrance through to desert! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014We were looking for a special spot to celebrate an occasion, we picked the perfect spot. The menu was so different and the food was all beyond delicious.Special Features:
- Family dinner at Bishop'sMadsDined on 10/22/2014This is one of the best restaurants I have visited in Vancouver. The atmosphere and service is excellent. The food is European style gourmet with a nice blend of all the best from BC. We brought 2 small children age 4 and 6 and it worked out very well. Although Bishop's did not have fixed kids menus (which was actually a relief), they were able to accommodate custom made kids friendly variations over their main menu items. If your kids only like burgers or mac'n cheese, this is not the place for your family dinner. We had a wonderful experience and will definitely be back. With and without kids.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014This the place to go for unfussy but attentive service and unfussy but superbly prepared food. Simply unparalleled in Vancouver. Try the octopus carpaccio as a starter: delicious. Bishop's cooks fish better than anywhere else, too.Special Features:
- Outstanding as alwayspinkberryDined on 10/18/2014Took my bf to Bishop's for yet another birthday celebration - probably our third year in a row going there for his birthday. We love Bishop's because of its consistency in food quality and service - never disappoints. Though this time I did find that tables (for two) might be spaced too close together - like you can easily hear the other table's conversation - so it takes away from the dining experience a bit. The food was, once again, exceptional.Special Features:
- Fabulous everything!fooddivaDined on 10/17/2014John Bishop-amazing man! Having withstood the test of time, he continues to awe, impress & provide the most delicious, thoughtful food delights. He came to our table twice, once to welcome us between shucking oysters in the kitchen, the other to serve our yummy dessert! He was thoughtfully engaging & so charming. His staff very attentive & wonderful, ensuring every little detail of our dining experience was fabulous. The beet salad, the fresh halibut & pickerel were perfectly delicious. fEach dinner plate was unique when it came to accompaniments (some restaurants give you the same veggies no matter the entree). Our time there, a Friday night, was not rushed, in fact, there were lovely pauses between all. We are grateful & happily sated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY Expensive RestaurantGloriaVIPDined on 10/17/2014Although we've been to this restaurant a few times, I don't recall memorable meals. On this occasion, the halbut entree was delicious, the duck entree,appetitizers and dessert were OK, and the special "tiny-treat" appetizer was a "wow". Bishop retaines the superb attention in quiet surroundings for a relaxing evening -- and really sorry that the NWC art has been removed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014We had a table by the front window. The service was great. I had mentioned in conversation when the server brought the dessert menu that my boyfriend should choose his dessert. He was too full and opted to go without. The server brought him a special little birthday dish with some sweets anyway. Also, John Bishop visited and chatted with every table. I thought that was a very nice gesture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyBorn2eatDined on 10/7/2014Friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Good menu selection. The duck breast was delicious - great presentation and mix of flavours. And the homemade chocolate ice cream went fabulously with the creme brûlée. Looking forward to coming back and trying the rack of lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute go to restaurantWhitesailsDined on 9/25/2014For special occasions and for taking visiting foodies from out of town I can think of no better restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just one glitchml33Dined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed our meal as always, but...while the service was attentive, we had to wait a very long time for our entrée. No explanation, no apology. I'm all for leisurely dining but when it hits 2 hrs or more I get antsy.Special Features:
- Great for businessMaughtDined on 9/18/2014Great for business. Quality and a great price point - clients are impressed but it isn't over the top. The restaurant also is quiet enough to converse without shout but not so quiet that other tables can hear your conversation. Vegetarian options are somewhat limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionCanadiandreamerDined on 9/17/2014This is an excellent restaurant with fantastic food and great staff. We would highly recommend this for a quality dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the standby for Vancouver diningAlfieDined on 9/13/2014I had the Dungeness crab starter with tomato gelee, followed by elk. just perfect. the elk was clever: a polenta base with niblets of corn in it and popcorn scattered over. such artistry and flavour. a great anniversary dinner...AGAIN!Special Features:
- Consistently amazingTruFoodieDined on 9/13/2014I've been to Bishops maybe 10 times over the past 25 years, and it is always amazing. The food quality was excellent, the ambiance relaxing yet classy, and the service attentive but not intrusive. A true Vancouver gem and legacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovegoodfoodDined on 9/11/2014We had not been to Bishop's in several years. We were quite happy to find that it has not changed at all except for the artwork on the walls! This restaurant still offers some of the very best food and service in Vancouver or anyplace else you may go.Special Features:
- as perfect as it getsmomoDined on 9/10/2014Great restaurant always in top form. the best dining in van cover.definition of a perfect restaurant..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid endorsedeatingwithkidsDined on 9/7/2014This restaurant has been around for so many years and it's still excellent. Although it's not really kid friendly (no kids menu), there were other families with older kids (age 10-12) and all well dressed and behaved. I shared half of my beef tenderloin entree (deftly split and served onto 2 plates by the restaurant) with my 10 year old. Her verdict: "really good" and "flavored just right!". This is a kid who lives on pizza and pop. She polished off her portion, which is something she rarely does at other "fancy" restaurants. She also willingly tried the beet and arugula salads, sauteed mushrooms appetizer, and even a raw local oyster. Impeccable service and food, and lively atmosphere (most tables had 3 or more people).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014bishop's never fails to provide gorgeous food and excellent service. my first choice in vancouver for a guaranteed evening of outstanding eating and drinking.Special Features:
- light and deliciouspandamanDined on 9/6/2014A great dining experience. We had the elk and snapper special of the day. Both were great, but most surprisingly, we felt very healthy after. Our dishes were not laden in oil, cream and butter, but had a rich flavour to all the food. Well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayJaskeyDined on 9/4/2014It was a special occasion and the restaurant performed perfectly.Special Features:
- Old favouriteTnT1Dined on 9/4/2014We all commented on the fact that the menu was short but with lots of choice. The food was excellent, the tuna tartare was delicious, and the elk very tasty, though maybe not quite as tender as we had hoped for. This is an old favourite and we will go back again when next in townSpecial Features:
- Excellent and IntimateCheBuonoDined on 9/2/2014The quality of food and service is superb. Local seafood, local farm stock, local produce and world class wines. This is a Vancouver dining gem. The service also brings us back when we want an excellent meal. The staff are knowledgeable and courteous so that you're taken care of and yet you have the space and time to enjoy an intimate dinner with your party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good with some caveatsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Food and service were great, however I felt it was a bit overpriced. I found the atmosphere a bit stuffy but that's a matter of place, I tend to prefer a more lively environment.Special Features:
- An Enduring ClassicfoodandwinoDined on 8/24/2014John Bishop is one of the great hosts and restauranteurs of Vancouver! I've been coming here since his early days and have never been disappointed. Even though I only visit on rare occassions when I come to this city, his staff are talented, genuine and go out of their way to make you feel like family. John is one of the most sincere people I have ever met and welcomes you personally with care and attention to often lacking in restaurants today. Abel and his staff even recall what you like, where you've sat and with an attention to detail rarely experienced unless you are a movie star or spending massive dollars. One of the first to champion local food with a flair. Don' miss this restaurant.Special Features:
- Vancouver highlight64yoDined on 8/24/2014Dinner at Bishop's is always a highlight when my wife and I visit Vancouver. Congenial staff, impeccable service, genteel ambiance, and the food is out of this world.Special Features:
- BishopfiliaDined on 8/23/2014Hard to imagine a dinning experience being better than this. Food and service exemplary combined with a friendly caring atmosphere created by the staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Food is excellent, service very nice and friendly, atmosphere very quiet and romantic, a good place for a special occasion as it's a bit pricySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best one yet!SuburbFoodiesDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I go to Bishops every year on our anniversary (even though we live in the suburbs!). We thoroughly enjoy ourselves and make new memories every time we go. It is always unbelievable food and amazing service but last week they outdid themselves. We even went to the back kitchen to tell the chef how amazing the food was. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Vancouver, B.C. vacationSFsteveDined on 8/22/2014Many places to dine in Vancouver went to Bishop's because one can have a wonderful dining experience and able to converse with others. The restaurant has been a reliable choice for years. Every visit to Vancouver includes dining at Bishop's. The only negative is the price of wines in all restaurants due to taxation and high markups.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great Servicelangleyfoodie10Dined on 8/22/2014Bishop's has a great locally-sourced menu that is always changing. You can tell that the staff has a real passion for food and wine. John Bishop stopped by our table to chat which was enjoyable. The staff was super-attentive, but never got in the way. Bishop's is definitely one of the best restaurants in Vancouver.Special Features:
- Great serviceTraceyvalgalVIPDined on 8/17/2014The thing that stood out for me other than the food was the service. The family joined me there for my birthday dinner and the staff were so great. Treated me extra special! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014We had an excellent meal. The designer cocktails were delicious!! Loved the chocolate cherry dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memorable eveningfoodtravellersDined on 8/16/2014Starting with the welcome at the door by Mr Bishop the service throughout the evening was just right... warm but not in-your-face friendly... competent and respectful, not arrogant like some of Vancouver's other higher-end establishments. We definitely felt the evening was about us, not them. Quality of food as well as menu composition and wine selection exceptionally good. Pricey for sure, but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014I was very impressed with this restaurant in every aspect. The food was great, the drinks were great, and the service was excellent. I will be going here again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Eating at Bishops is always a wonderful experience. The service has always been excellent. The food is amazing. My favorite is the oysters but everything is good. Love going when we have the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.