430 Dauphine Street
New Orleans, LA 70114Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bayona.com/
- Phone: 5045254455x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: Starting at 6:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Susan Spicer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: All details regarding lunch and dinner parties as well as sample contracts can be found at the Bayona website.
A word from Bayona
Bayona, in its 22nd year, is nestled in the heart of the French Quarter in a charming 200 year old Creole Cottage punctuated by a lush, tropical courtyard. The cuisine of our James Beard Award winning Chef Susan Spicer is rooted in France, circles the globe for inspiration, and lands firmly in New Orleans to embrace the wealth of our local bounty and rich cuisine. Chef Spicer's partner Regina Keever has assembled a staff that is dedicated to expertly guiding you through your wine list and menu choices in order to seamlessly serve you in a knowledgeable, unpretentious, and professional manner. Regina and Susan would like to cordially invite you to join us and experience for yourself the atmosphere, cuisine, and service of one of New Orleans great gifts to the culinary world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Bayona - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Bayona reviews from OpenTable diners
283 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (206)special occasion (183)romantic (162)neighborhood gem (117)notable wine list (108)great for outdoor dining (81)great for lunch (66)great for brunch (40)good for groups (30)hot spot (25)scenic view (16)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Inattentive service, but good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2014We saw our server (one of a team of two) right away and she seemed very knowledgable. But our wait for our entree was 40 minutes after our first course, with no explanation or apology. For a team of two, they certainly couldn't be bothered with even coming by our table and checking even once if we needed anything. After our entrees were cleared it was at least another 15 minutes before our server came by to ask if we wanted dessert. By that time we were so tired of waiting we just wanted our check to leave. Too bad, since the meal was delicious, but the poor service just ruined the evening.
- Amazing foodThisnicknamethingisstupidVIPDined on 10/16/2014Not the friendliest restaurant in NOLA but the food was spectacular. Staff didn't realize the bottle we ordered was actually champagne, took a while to figure it out and finally bring the bottle.Special Features:
- Call ahead for Courtyard SeatingMauralovesgoodfoodDined on 10/16/2014We made reservations here because several people told us the courtyard was fabulous. While they don't "take reservations" for the courtyard, apparently they do because we were told that we weren't on the courtyard list. So - we ate inside. Disappointed not to be outside on a gorgeous evening, but inside was lovely and romantic too. Our server was excellent and the food was superb! We shared a quail salad and venison meatball pasta as appetizers (we were doing a progressive dinner through several restaurants) and they were both terrific. Great cocktails to although i can't remember the name of the one I had..... I know, I know, but it is New Orleans after all!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service was poorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014While the food was definitely amazing, the service was frustrating. When we arrived at the restaurant, after making dinner reservations at least 3 weeks in advance, we asked to sit outside and the hostess curtly replied "Although we don't take table requests in advance you can't sit there. Those tables are already spoken for." What? We almost left, but since we didn't have a back up restaurant we had to stay. Our waitress took her time arriving at our table and was quick to go over the menu and be on her way. Still, we found the food amazing and well worth the stay. The sweetbreads were delicious, the lamb perfectly cooked and dessert memorable.Special Features:
- My New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Living in NOLA 8 months out of the year for the last 10 years, we have gone to many restaurants here. Bayona has always been guaranteed good food; for example, my foodie cousin is still talking the meal we had there two years ago. But compared to other restaurants where the chef changes portions, preparation styles, or suddenly overdoses pepper on everything, Bayona has a bed-rock consistency and creativity and is now my out and out favorite. The eggplant caviar starter was absolutely delicious and my "daily" fish special with sauce of beans and smoked oysters knocked my socks off! My partner loved his hanger steak. You won't go wrong here.Special Features:
- great findDebraDined on 10/14/2014great food, served properly. lovely building and setting. perfect ambiance. service was fantastic. all around a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014Service was poor. Salad not dressed. Mix up of wine and drinks and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off to the atticIrishWitchyVIPDined on 10/13/2014We have dined here before and we will return for many reasons, however this time we were seated in the attic. I wanted a quiet place and after the party of seven left and these two women that were loud, left it was quiet. However, the main dining room is much better for ambiance. Food was very good, but squid ink pasta app for husband could have used more pasta - what was there was good. Cream of garlic soup was great and so was the sweet potato bread. Entries were both very good. We did a ice creams for desert. I would have loved to eat outside, but it was NOT a nice night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting, great food!MeladavDined on 10/13/2014Wonderful meal in a beautiful dining room, the goat cheese and mushroom appetizer was unbelievablely good! We had a wait between appetizer and entrée but overall a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2014Three times in New Orleans - three times at Bayona - three times a fabulous meal!Special Features:
- a must when in New OrleansVijayRajDined on 10/13/2014We come to New Orleans on a regular basis and discovered Chef Susan Spicer's gem of a restaurant a over a decade ago. We particularly love the innovative eclectic choices, some with international influences. The food is always perfect and served in the intimacy of this 200 year old house with its charming courtyard. The service is always very attentive and helpful if you have any questions. Bon Appetite.Special Features:
- Unpleasant experienceArduiniDined on 10/11/2014It was my first time there and my impressions were not good. We were sat on a table right below the air conditioner, then we changed, but our food went cold. My appetizer was OK, but my main course was completely tasteless. Unacceptable for a famous restaurant in NOLA. It's not worth the price! I've gone to many cheaper places in NOLA, with lot more tasty food. I defintely do not recommend.Special Features:
- Save your moneyrobyneiseDined on 10/11/2014The food was delicious but the service was so awful that it truly ruined the experience for us. For a gourmet restaurant they should serve red wine in red wine glasses - not white wine glasses!!!! Less than fun evening.Special Features:
- Not up to snuffLoveNOLADined on 10/11/2014I'm a Bayona regular, and I went there to celebrate my birthday with family and friends. Instead of being seated in the courtyard, we were moved to the wine room upstairs, which is a bit claustrophobic. The music was so loud that we couldn't hear one another. We asked that it be turned down, but the waiter said it couldn't be adjusted. He said others had complained, also. The food wasn't as good as usual. The seafood soup was bland, but the goat cheese crouton with mushrooms was as delicious as always. Wine was overpriced. Service was slow. Desserts (especially the peanut butter and chocolate mishmash thrown together sloppily on a plate) was average at best. Susan Spicer must have been off that night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cooked with a subtle light touchMikeDined on 10/11/2014Food was cooked and served with care, and very well prepared. Server was a little too familiar and patronizing for my taste, but very competent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday brunch - not to be missedMHSFVIPDined on 10/11/2014Susan Spicer has created a winner: $25 for 3 plates of your choosing. The only thing missing are her famous sweetbreads. An amazing bargain, especially on her rear patio - it doesn't get any better.Special Features:
- WAY OVER RATEDFRITZIE50Dined on 10/11/20143 COURSES FOR 25.OO INCLUDED THE CHEAPEST PART OF THE CHICKEN---WE HAD A CUP OF SOUP-A SMALL SALAD--AND A DESSERT FOR 25,00--IF THE FOOD WAS GREAT, THIS WAS A GOOD DEAL--BUT IT WASN'T, SO A POOR DEAL.
- Another beautiful dinner at BayonaAnnieNPDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I went to Bayona for our anniversary Friday night. We have been here several times before and are never disappointed. Our waitress was very attentive but not to intrusive. I started with the quail salad and it was a party in my mouth!Get the Salmon it's a winner and cooked to perfection! Thank you for a memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Terrific Experience!CyrusVIPDined on 10/10/2014WOW! This was most likely the 20'th something time we have been here over the many years Bayona has been open. I often consider this one of the five best restaurants in New Orleans. Tonight's dinner just reminded me that I am correct! Subtle, unique flavor pairings abound throughout the menu. While eating our fist course, my wife and I look at each other and say something to the effect of, "I can't believe we have not been here in almost 8 months. This is terrific!" Then come two more courses, each better than the last. Bayona is just a wonderful dinning experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as hyped1TryPecheVIPDined on 10/9/2014This restaurant was overpriced, overrated and not much fun. The waiter/waitress "team" was slow meaning poor service, long wait for food to arrive and the young woman had ZERO personality. Do not recommend in a City full of wonderful dining experiences!
- Great eveningMikeDined on 10/9/2014Group of 6 all agreed this was our best New Orleans dining experience. Food service and ambiance all excellent. Not one of this group of foodies even offered advise on how they would improve the food.Special Features:
- great findsissyDined on 10/8/2014A friend recommended this place we weren't disappointed. Excellent service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable eveningJohn35Dined on 10/6/2014Our first night in NOLA could not have been better thanks to the incredible dinner and service we received at Bayona. The courtyard was a perfect place to eat. All the staff were incredible attending to our every need. Jane was absolutely amazing and made the evening one we will never forget. The food was delicious!!! I had rabbit while my wife had their monk fish. I have to believe that anything you might get will not disappoint. Thanks so much Bayona!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone DownhillNOLADined on 10/4/2014Bayona Experience was not our best. We have been several times over the years....and seems to have lost its service. Food and ambience are good, but for the price...service should be better. Overall, a good dinner...hopefully service improves.Special Features:
- A true New Orleans gemFabulousDined on 10/4/2014Our evening couldn't have been better. The food was deliciously served in a very intimate atmosphere with a waitress that explained every dish as if she had prepared it. This is the best restaurant I've ever eaten at in New Orleans. What a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance personified.RichieRichVIPDined on 10/4/2014This is a New Orleans gem in the French Quarter. Known for their sweetbreads and rabbit, they certainly lived up their reputation. I had the bone-in pork chop with vegetable bread pudding. It was superb! Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HouseOfFoodDined on 10/1/2014As always, a wonderful experience all the way around - drinks, food, impeccable service, lovely ambiance, and they pulled together a decorated birthday dessert with no notice. And brought an ice bucket for the half-finished large bottle of beer. Consistently one of the great meals in town.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in NOLAOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014Sweetbread and lamb loin was my favorite! Friendly staff and amazing food was the perfect way to complete my stay in New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect BeginningnorabeanDined on 10/1/2014The service, thank you Jason and Scott, was seamless. The food perfect. We started the meal with a leek appetizer and cream of garlic soup. The leek appetizer was delicious with pumpkin and bacon- one could either cut the leeks or spaghetti roll them on your fork. It was a very satisfying beginning. My husband loves this garlic soup and he was delighted that it was as good as he remembered. I chose the duck with Oaxaca mole which was dark and complex of fulfilling while my husband had the rabbit 2 ways which was like a taste of spring. They were different flavors and both yummy. This was the first time I had been to Bayona's and my husband's first dinner there. It was a perfect beginning to our vacation.Special Features:
- Great PlaceDatingexperiencesDined on 9/30/2014Bayona is a favorite of mine, never had a bad experience. Service is great as is the food and wine list.Special Features:
- Nice PlaceRedStickRefugeeDined on 9/29/2014Went here for dinner on a date. Everything was great, from the courtyard we waited just 5 minutes in for our table to be ready to the delicious food, drinks and service. We had two Daniels as our waiters, and both of them were efficient, professional and knowledgeable. The selections of wine, spirits and beer was also very good, a real plus for me. Not only did they have my favorite local brew, LA 31, but for after dinner drinks I had a glass of Averna and my date a glass of Lillet, both of which are not really common to a menu. The food was great, I hadn't been here and was really reserving judgement and they hit all the rights notes, from portions to compatibility with the wines by the glass. Restored my faith in what sweetbreads can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food to Die ForBigdogDined on 9/29/2014My wife and I were in town for a convention and lucked upon a Bayonne review and made a reservation. From beginning to end it was amazing; friendly staff, great service and the FOOD unbelievable. Hats Off to Bayonne!!Special Features:
- Consistently DeliciousOBXlernstDined on 9/27/2014The sweetbreads do not disappoint year after year! The upstairs wine room is much quieter and intimate than the main section of the restaurant but may create challenges for the servers.Special Features:
- Bayona was goodwellspolyproVIPDined on 9/27/2014Had dinner at Bayona on Sept 27 with my wife and a friend, service was good, food was pretty good, not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bayona - A culinary delight!lwellDined on 9/27/2014Susan Spicer, and her professional and knowledgable staff at Bayona. never fail to impress. Wonderful service, scrumptious entrees, on-spot wine pairings........absolutely nothing but perfection! A must-visit for those enjoying cuisine (as opposed to just good food) and seeking a wonderful culinary experience. I will return the next time I'm in New Orleans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of New OrleansDarrenMuseDined on 9/27/2014From the second I stepped into Bayona, I knew I was in for a special experience. Phenomenal service and amazing cuisine. I had the peppered loin of lamb and it was likely the best food I've had in New Orleans...and that's saying something! James Beard winner, so you know you can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST OF THE CRESCENT CITY!bayareatransplantDined on 9/27/2014Bayona is a terrific restaurant - no surprise it's currently celebrating its 24th anniversary. We've come here each time we've visited New Orleans over the past twenty years and it has never failed to exceed our expectations. The service is friendly, attentive and helpful without being overly solicitous. Weather permitting, the outdoor courtyard is a wonderful spot. The food is amazing - on this, our most recent visit, we had two of their classic dishes, the cream of garlic soup and the sweetbreads, as well as one of their daily specials, the hanger steak - WOW! Their mixologist concocts some of the most interesting signature cocktails - the gin-based "Fascinator" is a perfect start to a great meal. Bayona Rocks!!Special Features:
- Poor serviceEatnOutDined on 9/26/2014We got to the restaurant for a late dinner and waited for over 15 minutes for our waiter to come over. The man only had a few other tables, but spent all his time chatting at his five person table. Another waiter came over at least three times prompting us for our wine selection, but we couldn't make that choice until we decided to fish or meat. When he did come by he was brief and not very personable. Overall, a very poor experience for us .
- Lovely but LimitedPapaGVIPDined on 9/26/2014This was our second visit to Bayona, which was originally recommended by our friend who is a NO local as "the place that locals go for a really nice meal in the quarter". The setting is lovely and the location is quiet, a nice departure from the bustle of the quarter. Our dinners were perfectly prepared and beautifully presented--stuffed squash blossoms appetizer, sweetbreads and snapper entrees--but it took FOREVER to get served. I suspect something was going on that night (the wait staff was apologetic and thanked us for our patience). Prices are moderate, portion size is average. One caveat: the menu is fairly limited (snapper was the only fish that night) so I'd suggest reviewing the online menu prior to selecting this restaurant.Special Features:
- Just OKScottDined on 9/25/2014I like more robust flavors, and was a little dissapointed at Bayona. The quality of the food was top notch, but a little bland for my personal taste. Nice spot to eat outside, and knowledgeable staff. Nice romantic setting as well.Special Features: