17550 Bernardo Oaks Dr
San Diego, CA 92128Neighborhood:
Poway / Rancho Bernardo
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avantrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8586758550x
- Hours of Operation:
Late Night Dining
Daily from 4pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from AVANT
AVANT draws on the best of wine country dining – inspired culinary exploration, leisurely socializing, and the freshest seasonal ingredients – and moves it forward with a contemporary California mindset. AVANT serves up vibrant, creative dishes and artisan libations in an inviting setting defined by its indoor-outdoor design, dynamic spaces and lush garden milieu – bringing a sense of adventure and fulfillment to every experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
AVANT reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (39)romantic (39)great for outdoor dining (31)scenic view (29)good for groups (25)notable wine list (22)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (10)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Disappointed in AvantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/14/2014Had heard good things about this incarnation of El Biz. Service was friendly but a little cloying. Mushroom tartine was greasy and not subtle at all. Salmon with quinoa was good but nothing I would go back for. My companion enjoyed his meal or I would have given it 2-stars. It might be the best place in its area but in my experience was not worth driving to.
- Potential UnrealizedBobBVIPDined on 10/12/2014Located in the Rancho Bernardo Inn, Avant is a strong attempt to be an Upscale gourmet spot, that unfortunately seems to be falling short of the mark. The physical set-up is great, from the bar, the wine room and the dining area to a beautiful outdoor patio. The menu is trendy and promises a real foodie experience. The food mostly delivered. However the service was slow and inept, although amiable and willing. In my opinion, solid management and better training or hiring of the service staff would do wonders for this place. However, for us it was 3 courses taking 3 hours in a mostly empty establishment, with several communications gaffes and inexplicable interminable waits in between. I will give it one more try before writing it off.Special Features:
- Menu wordingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014We celebrated our anniversary and were largely happy with the service and food! The only criticism involved some miswording on the menu. My wife and I opted for the Prix special. The disclaimer indicated that New York Strip was not included in the deal, which was understandable. So I opted for the sirloin. However, I was told that it, too, was not eligible for the offer and that I wold be charged an additional five dollars, which was also fine. But this needs to be reflected on the menu wording. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food & AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014I live downtown and fully did not expect Avant to be as fantastic as it was. 3 of us went the other night for my sisters birthday and the whole Avant experience was amazing. The food was top notch and we had one of the best and highest quality meals I have had in San Diego lately. Try the seafood basil risotto, the heirloom tomato salad and the mushroom crostini. Wine list was excellent and included some reasonably priced and very good bottles. Ambiance and service were superb - tables are comfortable and nicely spaced, service was very attentive without being overbearing. Avant is a must try for anyone in San Diego and by far the best restaurant in the suburbs. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Amazing Dinner SpotSDSusanDined on 10/11/2014Our server Jonas made our experience wonderful. He knows the menu in great detail and helped us pick the perfect dishes for us. Their charcuterie options are amazing. If you don't live near AVANT, it is worth the drive for sure. Great ambiance, drinks and food. Loved sitting by their fireplace. Makes you feel like you can relax there. You aren't being pushed out the door to leave. Also, I would love to come back to enjoy the chef's table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved AVANT!banjolaniDined on 10/11/2014FOOD WAS DELICIOUS, restaurant was very clean and our server ROBERT was very patient with us! Over all, great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulieDined on 10/11/2014My husband, my daughter, and I went for happy hour followed by dinner to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The food was all fabulous. The outdoor patio was wonderful, and when the sun went down and they opened the windows in the dining room to hear the live music on the veranda, it was magical. The chocolate dessert they gave us to help celebrate was sweet and AMAZING! This is why El Biz and now Avant is our special spot.Special Features:
- 1madcritiqueDined on 10/10/2014Bland, overpriced food with an elegant atmosphere and excellent service. I had bland tuna tartare and salty caprese with pesto and a pate that was too thick to smear on a toast (which thy didn't have) so we are it in a slice of sourdough.Special Features:
- EbonivoDined on 9/28/2014First time at Avant. Very interesting menu & cool place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebrationluv2dineDined on 9/24/2014I took my daughter here for her birthday. I noted in my reservation that we were celebrating and when we arrived our server wished my daughter happy birthday. They also gave her a free dessert! The service was impeccable. Our server was attentive but not obtrusive and she was very helpful with her advice about the dishes. The happy hour was very good with $6 glasses of wine and a few well priced appetizers. The price of the food was a little steep and the portions fairly small. However, the food was good (except the Chard that came with the Halibut, I didn't like that). To sum up...I would go again for Happy Hour but probably not have dinner there again. For two people and a decent tip the bill came to $130.Special Features:
- Great FindRBdinerDined on 9/23/2014We tried AVANT during Restaurant Week. The food, wine and service were awesome. They emphasize local grown foods. We live close by and are happy to have found a great restaurant in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite food - beautiful setting!FITfoodieintrainingVIPDined on 9/22/2014We decided to sit outside for dinner (part of the bar), because the weather was so lovely. Avant has a great variety of menus ... Happy hour, prix fixe menu for two, and regular dinner menu. Happy hour menu included some wonderful small bite plates and nice wines and beers. Favorite dishes for us were the calamari, quinoa salad with stone fruit, heirloom tomato salad with arugula, and the crab and corn fritter. Food was all exquisite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulieDined on 9/21/2014Very accommodating and friendly service. The food was really excellent. One of our desserts was mis-advertised and not great, but overall we love the restaurant, and we love the changes they've made in update it.Special Features:
- Plus-minusHanumanDined on 9/20/2014I had the prawns with prosciutto and basil risotto. Prawns and prosciutto were excellent, but the risotto should never have made it out of the kitchen. It was tough and chewy, not what you expect with a dish that is supposed to be rich and creamy. I tasted my friend's flowerless chocolate cake, and that was as rich as anyone would expect. The place was noisy, making conversation difficult. The jazz duo which played up to 6:30 was dreadful.Special Features:
- Like being on vacation!foodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014THe minute to walk into Avant you feel like you are on vacation. Very friendly greeters, beautiful restaurant, views to the golf course and mountains, gorgeous sunsets. THe menu is small but there is something for everyone and the presentation is picture perfect and the flavors are mouthwatering. THe staff is friendly, attentive but not disrupting, and very knowledgable. Can't wait to go back. Truly a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night Romantic DinnerJRsReviewsDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I enjoyed eating outdoors at Avant Restaurant at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. I sampled the Lamb and she had the Chicken. They were both prepared nicely and the taste was great. The chicken was especially juicy, so I had the Chicken when we Dined inside the Dining Room on Sunday for our Anniversary. Since I cook often, the accompaniments with the Chicken went well together(Vegetables,etc.). Both our Servers were very attentive and came by frequently to check on us. On Sunday, we were not even charged for Corkage. We did enjoy some Port at the end of the meal and my wife had a couple Bloody Mary's.Special Features:
- unluckydinerDined on 9/9/2014The food was bland, no flavor. We ordered the pork dish and the salmon dish and both were lacking in flavor. Nice idea to serve the bread in bags so pieces can be torn off without touching, but that qualified as the best park of the meal. Sorry , but the restaurant is not worth of another try.Special Features:
- Elegance in Rancho BernardoSuzyVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is the place to stage all your special occasions. Al fresco dining at its best, and indoors, a lively modern atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration restaurantHappy2eatDined on 9/4/2014My husband and I thought the service and the food was excellent. It was our 50th Anniversary and the waiter couldn't have been nicer. He brought us a glass of champagne each courtesy of the house, then explained the menu and the specials. He was very knowledgeable of all the food and the ingredients. He also gave us plenty of time to decide and did not continually try to hurry us. Very nice evening..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable Business DinnerBizadvisoryDined on 9/2/2014My business associates were all very pleased sitting in the patio room and enjoying a perfect evening while doing business.Special Features:
- Great except the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/31/2014The food here was wonderful. The menu has plenty of choices to please everyone. The flavors are well crafted. However, the service this night was atrocious. I don't know if our sever was new or just clueless. This is the 3rd time eating here (the other 2 were at wine dinners), the other 2 times, maybe due to the events, we had good service...not so lucky this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014This was our first time here and we like that our favorite wine was listed. Food was wonderful. We like it a lot, we are going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KnineDined on 8/30/2014A very enjoyable dining experience. Every dish was unique and demonstrated the talents of a chef showing skills and creativity. Server was inexperienced but enthusiastic and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night TreasureCarrieBDined on 8/30/2014Great food, service, & ambience! Food is fresh and delicious! The Flourless Choc Cake paired with a Tawny Port is TDF! Starting with valet to table side service all are fabulous. The restaurant and grounds on the property are beautifully decorated and maintained. Perfect for an after dinner stroll. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AVANT 8/23/2014DelMartianVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was out first time here at AVANT since it was transformed from El Bizcocho. The transformation is/was a grand success. The food and service were outstanding! The AVANT is centered in the Rancho Bernardo Inn which provides an incredible garden / golf course atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic summer experiencejeanieDined on 8/22/2014We thoroughly loved being outside in the slight summer breeze feasting on beautiful prepped food. The cheese plate with varied jam pairings a highlight, and superb Moroccan vegetable stew! JeanieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skipperDined on 8/16/2014The food and atmosphere was excellent. The halibut for fantastic, and the desserts were wonderful, too!Special Features:
- Great but just OK(noise)ArchieDined on 8/15/2014We have been their before but decided to go for our 5th wedding anniversary. They seated us right away nice table. Gave us a glass of champagne as a gift, very nice. We had 2 appetizers pate and mussels. The bread was just ok nothing special as was the pate. Mussels very nice. I had NY steak it was great more than I could eat with a goat cheese bread pudding and white truffles excellent, grilled vegies. My wife had the lobster salad, it looked to fancy to eat not much at all it was to dune up. Over all it is Ok but just 2 pricy for what you get. The dinning room is open to the bar and being a golf club bar way to loud and noise to enjoy dinner.Special Features:
- Rough start but a nice endingtomandanjunDined on 8/8/2014Gone were the white table cloths, replaced with dark tables. I assumed the previous sophisticated atmosphere would just automatically remain the same. What you have now is a very nice bar/restaurant, one would expect to find and a country club; after all there is a golf course there. The service was VERY slow and the wait staff was young at less experienced, although very friendly. I felt I just had to complain to the management about the lack of attention to us. They said they were rather busy that night. The service did improve significantly after my comments to the management. The food was excellent, of high quality, and with great presentation. Over all, it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Nothing to make you WANT to go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Small portions, big dollars. We were a party of 4 and the bread brought to the table was a small little piece about 5 inches long. Really? Scallops and halibut were our dinner choice, nothing exciting. There was nothing about this dining experience that made you want to come back. Time to step it up!! I don't mind paying the price for food that is worth coming back for, this just isn't the case at the Avant.
- AvantWinstedVIPDined on 8/6/2014Excellent! Brian, our server, was also great. The music and food were tremendous. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avant in RBThomasDined on 8/4/2014Excellent décor and service. The restaurant is a community gem, and the quality of the food and service is excellent.Special Features:
- Food and serviceRBCookieDined on 8/4/2014Jonas was very attentive on a moderately busy evening for our anniversary dinner. The fix price dinner was excellent, with many choices from the menu. The arugula and tomato salad to share was ample for two. We both had the halibut which was cooked to perfection, accompanied with chard and lintel beans. The fixed price dinner also included a glass of wine or beer. Dessert was not included, which we were happy to go without! All in all, a fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSanDiegoGirlsDined on 8/3/2014The four of us just could say enough about everything food, ambiance, service, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't have guessedAs87Dined on 8/2/2014I would not have guessed that such a quaint place existed in this area. Overall our dining experience was great. Our server, I think Bron was his name, was very nice and took time to explain things. Service was quick, food was good, well presented but didn't blow me away, the menu could use a couple more entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-attentive servicepapeliDined on 8/1/2014We were celebrate a wedding anniversary and had asked to be seated on the patio, which they could not do, but besides that, everything was really good. The menu and wine list are not very extensive, but we had the steak, scallops, and shrimp risotto - all excellent, Perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. One our our party ordered the ravioli - it was dry and overcooked. Our waiter took it away and replaced it immediately, apologized and comped her dinner. The service was professional, attentive and not obtrusive. Overall, great experience. The Inn is also very beautiful. We will go back.Special Features:
- AVANT great addition to RB InnlovetodineDined on 7/24/2014We arrived for a drink at the bar before dinner. Prices at happy hour were great and we expected it to be a bit noisy. Live music a bonus. The dining room was a great fit and our party of five was seated next to an open window with a view and a breeze. The service was A+. Attentive, but not hovering. We had the prix fixe menu and each had a different dish. All were stars in both presentation and taste. The house wine was not a cheap brand but a nice mid-range wine with wonderful flavor. Sorry we missed the patio for our drink as it looked most inviting, but it was full when we arrived. A wonderful first dining experience at AVANT and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect 19th HoleLiv2dineDined on 7/20/2014A wonderful place to enjoy dinner after a picturesque round of golf Enjoy the outdoor dining area to add to the ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice for a special night outlovingfoodVIPDined on 7/12/2014Interesting menu choices, food was tasty, right portion sizes. A bit pricey so would keep this as a special occasion. The Inn where the restaurant is located is also a lovely place to visit.Special Features:
- ChristineDined on 7/9/2014My only complaint is that they start clearing off the cutlery and glasses from empty tables around you so they can set up for the following day. This totally ruins the ambiance. Its a total pet peeve of mine in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.