Diners’ Choice Awards are based on where your fellow diners book, dine, and review. Only verified diners get to review restaurants on OpenTable, so our data doesn’t lie.
Dining at Liv’s, whether in the main room, at the bar, or on the patio, is an experience to be savored with friends and family long after summer on the shoreline has past.
John Brescio also serves as Liv’s Executive Chef, creating simple, focused dishes with an emphasis on local ingredients, and the stunning seafood that the area provides. The menu at Liv’s changes with the seasons, bringing guests a true taste of the pristine environment. John works closely with Liv’s partners to make sure only the best produce is used, as he would serve nothing less to his family.
Together with his exceptional staff, John welcomes you to the special experience he’s created at Liv’s Oyster Bar.
The Essex menu showcases modern American cuisine that draws inspiration from the land, sea and deep heritage of the Connecticut River Valley, using the freshest locally sourced products available from farm and sea. All will inspire an ever-changing menu of progressive interpretations of timeless dishes.
"Voted Best New Restaurant in New England" Yankee Magazine
"Best Restaurants in Connecticut" CT Magazine
"Not to be Missed" Town & Country Magazine
"Rising Chef Star" CT Mag
Important: when making a reservation through OpenTable there is an option to make a reservation at a high top table in the bar area or standard table which is in the dining room. If the high top option does not pop up as an option for you then that means that there are NO High Top tables available at those times. If you would like to reserve bar seats please leave us a note or call us. See you soon!
A premiere destination dining experience, serving contemporary american cuisine with global accents.
Aspen Restaurant is Located on 2 main street in Old Saybrook,CT.
- OFOlgaF1 review5.0Dined 4 days agoThe staff in general were very friendly, professional and kind. My hubby and I chose this location to celebration our 32nd Wedding Anniversary. We were not disappointed. Thank you kindly.More infoFresh SaltPrice: Expensive• Seafood• Old Saybrook•4.6
- FGFlintGvipNew York / Tri-State Area •8 reviews5.0Dined on Sep 16, 2023From the moment we arrived, the staff was friendly and professional. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and any potential restrictions due to a food allergy. Every aspect of our meal met/exceeded our expectations. A thoughtful and fresh menu provided options not found at most restaurants. We will definitely return.More infoThe EssexPrice: Expensive• American• Old Saybrook•4.7
- TTerry1 review5.0Dined on Sep 14, 2023We have been coming to Liv’s for years. We have never been disappointed…from appetizers to dessert. Outstanding on every level.More infoLiv's Oyster BarPrice: Expensive• Seafood• Old Saybrook•4.8
- POPOW70New York / Tri-State Area •6 reviews5.0Dined on Sep 13, 2023We had an excellent experience at Aspen. Clam chowder to start, which was very good (though a tad saltier than in previous visits); grilled romaine hearts salad was next-excellent. Main course was soy braised rib which was melt in your mouth yummy. Server was lovely and attentive, but we did not in any way feel rushed. Would recommend Aspen highly.More infoAspen RestaurantPrice: Moderate• Contemporary American• Old Saybrook•4.6
- BBrookPhoenix / Arizona •43 reviews5.0Dined on Sep 13, 2023Ate at Penny Lane before a show at the Kate. Food was fabulous. We had lobster bisque, mussels, ribs, short rib pasta and grilled polenta with veggies. For dessert we sharded the cream Brule. Everything was excellent. The mussels were sweet. The meat on the ribs was falling off the bone -- so tender. The grilled polenta was the highlight. When it arrived at the table, it did not look like what we expected. That however changed with the first bite. It was one of the best things I've ever eaten. Service was great. We will definitely go back next time we see a show at the Kate.More infoPenny Lane PubPrice: Moderate• American• Old Saybrook•4.4
‘Best new chef’ Paola Velez brings a delightful Afro-Latino pop-up dinner to NYC
Poalo Velez is the pandemic pop-up queen, best known for her work behind Bakers Against Racism. She’s now back with her newest pop-up.
The New York Times names its 50 favorite restaurants for 2023
Among the favorites this year are Keralan comfort food spot Thattu in Chicago and the cafe-by-day, restaurant-by-night Comfort Kitchen in Boston.
Where to drink in New York City right now
New York City’s best bars range from high-end cocktail lounges to tried-and-true neighborhood escapes.
Asian-Owned and -Operated Restaurants to Support Near New York City
Celebrate the diversity of the restaurant industry! These Asian-owned and -operated restaurants are proud to share their heritage — explore spots to support near you.
Frequently asked questions
- Liberty Inn Old Saybrook
- Old Saybrook Shopping Center
- Crystal Lake Town Park
- Great Island Nature Area
- Gardner Statue
- Clark Memorial Field
- Pier Blue Guesthouse Old Saybrook
- Harvey's Beach
- Super 8 Motel Old Saybrook
- Trask Town Park
- The Oyster River Shopping Center
- Quality Inn Old Saybrook
- Town Line Center Shopping Center
- Ames Shopping Center
- Saybrook Station Historical
- Old Saybrook Town Green
- Saybrook Point Inn and Spa
- General William Hart House
- Old Saybrook South Green
- Elm Street Shopping Center