85 W. Walnut Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zambratapas.com/
- Phone: 8282321060
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Adam Bannasch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live entertainment on Fridays and Saturdays beginning at 8PM.
A word from Zambra Restaurant
Zambra is a gypsy dance of celebration, Arabic for 'flute', a wild bird, flamenco danced at a family gathering, a Moorish festival. Zambra is a group of talented people in Asheville, NC creating a feast for the senses. We create contemporary twists on the food of Spain and North Africa, and serve hundreds of wines from the land of the sun, the Iberian peninsula and all over the world. Zambra is a tapas bar and restaurant in downtown Asheville!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zambra Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Zambra Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (149)romantic (132)special occasion (110)notable wine list (74)neighborhood gem (60)good for groups (55)late-night find (44)vibrant bar scene (42)hot spot (38)great for outdoor dining (24)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Didnt think it was anything special. Did not care for the decor - felt like we were in the Flintstones. Waitress not overly friendly but di a decent job.Special Features:
- Balanced and delicious taste.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Wide range of appealing options. One of the best restaurants in AshevilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine with one hiccupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The food, as always is wonderful; such a variety of foods and flavors. And the wine list is extensive. The only issue (and this was the first time this has happened) our wait staff was, at times, down right rude and condescending. The couple next to us experienced the same thing from her. But her distain for both sets of tables did give us a reason to bond and have a very friendly and lively conversation with our dining neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAinWSOmainwsDined on 8/30/2014We had a fun time with our grandson who is very active but there was lots of activity in the restaurant and noise so hopefully we did not bother anyone. Great service. Active bar and happy groups.Special Features:
- JaneDined on 8/29/2014One of our favorites in AVL, we travel 45 min to eat there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!KittyMcCabeDined on 8/29/2014I love everything about this restaurant! They have quite a few dishes that are or can be made gluten free and they are all amazing. The atmosphere is comfy and romantic, and the specialty drinks are tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friendsmtnlovers2Dined on 8/29/2014an outstanding place to eat. Great food great service and great fun. Would recommend 2 anyone wanting to experience a nice dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Asheville Gem!FoodLover123Dined on 8/28/2014Zambra has been around for a while and throughout the years has maintained its excellent standards. The food is consistently first rate, the selection excellent, and the service extremely professional.Special Features:
- "old" Asheville Spanish tapas barPulpoDined on 8/27/2014I first found this place in 2011 on a visit to Asheville, and was pleased to see it is still there on my second visit in 2014 (I live 3000 miles away, thus the interval in time). Ate in the outdoor tunnel, which they had fixed up nicely. By day it is just a plain alleyway, but at night it is easy to imagine you are in Spain - I half expected the bill in Euros. Food was good, not the most expansive tapas menu ever, but perfectly satisfying. Am pleased to see a second Spanish restaurant has opened nearby, which I could not even get in to, so Asheville seems to know good cuisine when it tastes it. I was very happy to be back at Zambra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantLittleVIPDined on 8/26/2014Had a very good meal. Loved choosing tapas and sharing. Fun place to go with a group. Grilled scallops were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful experienceCwk4328Dined on 8/25/2014Of all the wonderful restaurants in Asheville, we find ourselves returning here time and time again. It is consistently very good. Great atmosphere. Wonderful for friends and family to share. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LIKE TAPAS - ZAMBRA'S IS FOR YOUliandmeDined on 8/25/2014Zambra's has become my daughter's favorite restaurant in Asheville whenever she comes to visit me. I second her choice. it has a lovely ambience and the food is really innovative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014when we arrived at 6:15 and were sat next to the only other guests we decided not to make anything of it. What bothered us was when it became apparent that the band needed to set up where our table was and waitstaff, management and the band all began giving us the hairy eyeball to move. If you were planning on rushing our meal why did you sit us there in the first place?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasAshleyDined on 8/23/2014Everything we ordered was excellent. Good service. Yummy sangria.Special Features:
- marine1Dined on 8/22/2014Nice selection for a birthday celebration. Seating in the rear of the restaurant is quieter and less hectic than the open area seating. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Instrumental music earlier in the evening would be a welcome addition.Special Features:
- GreatdiningAshevilleDined on 8/22/2014we enjoyed dinner before a play at the NC Stage Company. We selected from the regular menu and the specials menu. We ordered about ten tapas for four people which allowed us to taste lots of wonderful things. It was a lot of fun. Service was great. We plan to be back!Special Features:
- Zambra does it again!ZephbluedevilDined on 8/19/2014My boyfriend and I have been coming to Asheville to stay at the Grove Park in for the last three summers. We love the small town feel of Asheville but the revitalized downtown area with a vibrant food scene also attracts us. Some highlights from this trip were the pork cheek which was amazing! Tuna meatballs, fish, calamari, and beef hearts was also memorable. The creative yet not expensive menu provides lots of fun and creative combinations throughout the night. We always have a blast!Special Features:
- HermangrmHermangrmDined on 8/19/2014Very inconsistent experience! There were four of us on a slow Wednesday evening. Not crowded. Very pleasant waitperson not very good at getting the orders right or at giving attention once her mistakes became apparent. Took half hour to get food to table and the food came very sporadically. When we inquired we were told that's how it is with tapas! One of our party got no food for forty five mins! Some items tasted great while others were just downright awful (eggplant virtually uncooked and I edible). Waitress disappeared after our concern was expressed. Six items ordered three we're ok three were not even close! Can't imagine what it's like when it is busy- could take hours to get mediocre food. Curate is far better
- Excellent food~sticky tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/18/2014Although we loved the food, the service was adequate and the tables were very sticky. Was not happy with that!!Special Features:
- Great for groupsJHuntDined on 8/16/2014Great atmosphere and superb food! The service is great and specialty cocktails were tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lighting & delicious shrimpluv2dineDined on 8/16/2014First time in Asheville...Curate was booked and Zambra turned out to be awesome. Were here for a romantic evening and Zambra gave us everything to reach our goal.Special Features:
- Nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/15/2014We had a great time at Zambra. The small plates were fun and we tried 7 dishes, most of which we loved. The favorite was chicken w/smoked grits.Special Features:
- Great, but not exceptionalRLFFDined on 8/15/2014It is not a tapas bar per Spanish roots. May be I had high expectations... Never been to curate yet, so I cannot compare the food choice and quality between the two. Food quality. Good overall but no real wow. I would question food flavors mixing and assemblies for some tapas. Otherwise, great service and lovely atmosphere in the side patio.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!ZambraGroupieVIPDined on 8/14/2014My favorite dining spot in the WORLD. The service is personable, the food is sublime, the wines are a grand assortment of choices. Again, I love dining at Zambras.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceAshevilleTravelersDined on 8/12/2014My family and I were vacationing in the Asheville NC and were trying lots of great places. We heard about another tapas restaurant in town, Curate, but couldn't get reservations. We saw this place as we walked around and thought we'd try it. The food was excellent. The wine list is an oenophile's dream. With lots of variation in the menu and nightly specials, there's something for everyone. If you are in Asheville and want a great tapas/dining experience, I'd highly recommend this. BTW - We are from the Chicago area so we are very used to great food. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- reservation did not workOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Despite making a reservation online, receiving a confirmation email and leaving a message on the restaurant answering machine, they had no record of it on their computer. We had to go somewhere else because it was so busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsJerryBDined on 8/9/2014Zambra is our go to place when someone is new to town. There are always interesting and different things on the menu, the ambiance is wonderful, and the food and wine are great. We met some friends of friends there for the first time for dinner on August 9, and it was the perfect spot.Special Features:
- Rude HostessAxaiVIPDined on 8/8/2014We were 15 mins late the hostess xld our reservation and gave our table away. I apologize for being late and told her we are only 15 mins late which is acceptable at all other restaurants we have been to. We are visitors here and finding parking and walking to the restaurant took 10 extra mins than we hoped for. While I was explaining this she interrupted me saying she wasn't finished and said, she has a table that's leaving now so she is going to set up that table for us so we will have to wait 5 mins. OK!All she had to do was to tell us to wait 5 mins while she set up our table. We didn't need a speech when we walked in about how we are 15 mins late. There were several tables avail, She also reported to OpnTable that we were a no show.
- JKJohnKDined on 8/5/2014Wanted tapas, tried to book reservation at Curate but could not, very pleasantly surprised by Zambra. Food and service were both very good, nice vibe to the restaurant. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.Special Features:
- 3generations3gensDined on 8/3/2014Our server Rachel made our experience one to remember as being fun, delicious, relaxed and pampered. Could not have done better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique and creative foodjujushineDined on 8/2/2014I enjoy the interesting menu choices. They always have sheet of maybe 20 daily specials. I like the dark, warmly lit, cozy restaurant. Extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerDined on 8/2/2014We always take out of town guests here. The food is consistently wonderful and the service is great! The vibe in the restaurant is hip, comfortable and special!Special Features:
- fun and tastyjrs64Dined on 8/2/2014Tasty tapas with wide variety of choices. Great summer sangria. Our waitress Corrin was excellent. Very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun to exploreChrisTheTravellerDined on 8/1/2014It had an extensive menu and with the small plates, we were able to explore. Everything we had was excellent. And they did not pressure you to over order, which I have experienced in some Tapas places.Special Features:
- Eclectic TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Wonderfully interesting menu that changes each night. Try anything on the menu, your mouth will thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas! Awesome wine list!Dine2VineDined on 7/28/2014I'm a wine and foodie from Central California. I live in the Paso Robles wine AVA and I'm surrounded by amazing wineries and restaurants in what Wine spectator calls the "best wine region in the world for 2014". My husband and I walked around the downtown Asheville area most of the day trying to decide witch of the unbelievable amazing restaurants we would dine at that evening. Not an easy decision. We loved the look of "Zambra" and the fact that sharing small plates was encouraged. Also it was voted the most romantic eats in Asheville 2014. Everything we tasted was amazing. Being farm to table the dishes will change day to day. I highly suggest Zambra to anyone visiting Asheville it's a truly wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dinner to rememberTAWmsDined on 7/27/2014We enjoyed a great family (17 and 19 yr old boys) night at Zambras - one I think we'll always remember. Great food. Fun to try a bunch of different chef inspired selections. Nice setting out in the alley. When we are in Asheville again, we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- win some lose somemathgeekDined on 7/27/2014If you go to Zambra don't show up before 6. They may open at 5:30 but they are not organized then. Most of the food was great: spring rolls, scallops, calamari, chicken and cream cheese quesadilla -- although they should charge $7 and give you two rather than $3.50 for one. However, the beet and cabbage salad should have been called the red cabbage, and white cabbage salad with a few beets, and the chick peas were AWFUL -- a big bowl of them with little seasoning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairOhioFoodieDined on 7/26/2014As a tapas restaurant, quality varied between dishes. Overall the food was average. Service was poor. We asked for advice on heat level, not wanting too hot. We were told soup was mild, instead it was very hot. The wait times were too long. Would not return here.
- Outstanding!pickyeaterDined on 7/25/2014If you love food you've got to eat here. Four of us ordered 7 tapas and ALL were delicious. Especially loved the trout and lamb. Waitress was great, atmosphere is good. It is dark inside though so I'd recommend that the restaurant supply little lights at the table for reading the menu. Can't wait to visit Asheville again and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.