237 Saint James Place
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zahavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2156258800x
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Michael Solomonov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for 9 - 50 people. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Kari-Lee MacDonald 2156253977x
- Special Events: Rehearsal Dinners, Cocktail Receptions, Wine Tastings, Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs.
A word from Zahav
Zahav showcases the Israeli-Mediterranean cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Solomonov. In 2008, Zahav was named one of Esquire's Top 20 New Restaurants in America and Philadelphia Magazine selected Zahav as its Best New Restaurant.Continued
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Zahav - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Zahav reviews from OpenTable diners
474 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (395)special occasion (311)hot spot (187)good for groups (183)neighborhood gem (163)romantic (141)notable wine list (85)vibrant bar scene (65)scenic view (44)late-night find (29)kid-friendly (16)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Noise Level Can Ruin a Great MealFishtacoVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food & service are not the only ingrediants for an exceptional meal. When the volume of other diners and the "background" music make it almost impossible to carry on a pleasant conversation even when there are only two at your table, the social element of the dining experience can be severely hampered. That was true for us on Saturday evening. If it weren't for the creative menu offerings, the excellent food itself, and the very attentive service, we would not give Zahav another try -- but we will in the hope that our next experience there (perhaps at a different time or in the main dining room) may be more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment, Given the HypeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014We booked table here from out of town based on the exceptional reviews. We were simply not impressed by the food at Zahav - it generally ranged from mediocre (salatim, knafeh, etc.) to downright inedible (mushroom entree). The fried cheese dish tasted like dried toast, and the hummus was tahini-heavy and just not very good. Perhaps we've both been spoiled by great Middle Eastern food both at home and abroad in the region, but, given the hype, this dining experience may have been amongst the biggest let-downs in our adult lives. Overall, would say the food was just ok...certainly not worthy of any awards or rave reviews. Just our two cents, as Israeli- and Arab-Americans with plenty of Middle East cuisine experience under our belts.Special Features:
- Zahav is once again a home runDRTNDined on 8/30/2014Arrived on Saturday night with two friends from out of town. We were seated in the second room- a somewhat private booth, which was both comfortable and good for the noise level. The food was awesome as ussual. And they accommodated our party of two vegetarians and two carnivores by serving us both the lamb shoulder and two veggie plates. Yum! You must be ready for a festival of tastes!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodSoleilDined on 8/30/2014Go hungry!!! There is much to enjoy, share and explore. Each new dish was more amazing than the previous.Special Features:
- The bestVeloJonDined on 8/30/2014Zahav and Vetri are the 2 best restaurants in Philly. We have been to Zahav several times, it is amazing every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zahav Never DisappointsREBTDoctorVIPDined on 8/30/2014Zahav is a really great place to dine because not only is the food excellent but the atmosphere is so happy. The service compliments the food and atmosphere and so on each visit you are sure to have an great dining experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Great atmosphere. The four of us ordered the tasting menu to share and everything was interesting. Service was excellent. We had a leisurely four course three hour dinner and never felt rushed but the staff was very attentive throughout. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Fantastic food, amazing service, food was spectacular. 2nd time going there and both were amazing. I went for my boyfriends birthday and it was perfect. Drinks were fun and interesting, the host even carried our drinks over when our table was ready. We were offered a bar menu while we were waiting and the bar tender came over to personally get our order while waiting on the bench. Everyone was so friendly and the staff went out of their way to accommodate everyone. The hummus plate is definitely the best I have had. This is one of my favorite places in the city. I also really like the location, with the large glass windows and open feel to it.Special Features:
- A Truly,Fine Fining ExperienceMedsedDined on 8/29/2014From the excellent accommodations of our daughter's special needs to the wonderful wait staff and amazing food, Zahav more than exceeded our expectations. truly a place for this city to take pride in, Zahav is a gem. The service was stellar, the ambiance was energetic but not overbearing, the food was simply amazing. While all of the dishes were wonder the Fried Cauliflower and the Fried Haloumi were personal favorites. The hummus was amazing. the halvah chocolate mousse was spectacular. We cannot wait to visit again and this will surely become our go to place for special occasions and out of town visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced and pretentioussurprisedDined on 8/29/2014The portions were small and we were 4 people eating from the tasting menu and 3 times an item arrived with only 3 of something. Most portions were small and know Israeli food and not real expensive ingredients. It seemed real chintzy. We had to repeatedly stop our conversation to split up the food equally. Too much work, too little food, too expensive. We left wanting. Been wanting to go there for a long time and will not go back.Special Features:
- delicious and interesting foodsweetieDined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed our evening at Zahav. Drinks at the bar first. Turned out it was "happy hour" so it was a bargain. The bartender was excellent. We had the prix fixe menu. The dishes were delicious and unusual but far too much for 2 people. By the grilled course I was so full I could take only a bite of my choice. We took desserts home. Next time I will pick more judiciously. Our particular favorites were the tomato salad with crispy lentils, starting hummus dish and spicy grilled lamb. Every dish was fine but these stood out. We liked the setting. Big windows look over a wooded area. The seating at first seems a little "diner" but it worked just fine. The wait service was very good without being over bearing. A lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youEric24Dined on 8/27/2014From beginning to end we have been taking care with a lot of attention The wait stall is professional , and very knowlageble . The food was superbeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodluvtodineDined on 8/27/2014We went there for my wife's bday and really enjoyed the food. Excellent service. We are definitely going back again.Special Features:
- Best food in philadelphiaGoodDined on 8/27/2014Small plates to share but worth the price. Just amazing.Special Features:
- Philly TopsSFboundDined on 8/26/2014Zahav is one of my favorite restaurants. Salatim, selection of small plates of salads, changes often and they are always delicious. Would highly recommend the Tayim tasting menu. Interesting Middle Eastern wines & terrific desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO TASTYtapasgirlDined on 8/25/2014We got the tasting menu with the lamb shoulder. That starts with the hummus (best I've ever had, by far -- it will ruin you for all other hummus) and salatim. We then got the cauliflower and haloumi mezzes. I could eat that cauliflower every day. Next, the lamb. I've heard so much about it, and it lived up to all the hype -- it was delicious. We finished with Turkish coffees (quite nice) and two desserts (I was a little surprised that we didn't get to choose the desserts ourselves, since with the Tayim menu, you get to choose). The ones sent out were just OK, but I was way too full at that point to be disappointed. Oh, also, the wines by the glass that the server recommended paired really nicely with the food!Special Features:
- amazing foodMixedVIPDined on 8/24/2014our party of 4 ate at Zahav on Saturday night -- the food was simply outstanding, as others have commented. Truly remarkable. And the ambiance is lively and hip. The only criticism was our server who was borderline rude. He almost insisted that we have the tasting menu and when we declined he acted as if we were idiots. When we asked for one entree to come out with the appetizers (hungry teen) he responded that it was not possible. But instead of handling that graciously, he again had so much attitude that it detracted from this amazing meal.Special Features:
- An amazing mealFoodiefamilyVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our family had the Tayim tasting and we loved the whole experience! Between the 6 different kinds of salads that came in the salatim, plus hummus and laffa bread, 8 appetizers and 4 main courses and 4 desserts, all happily shared among the 4 of us, we got to taste over half of the items on the menu. This meal brought back many happy memories of our trip to Israel 2 years ago and the amazing meals we had there, but we also loved the new inventive twists to some familiar flavors -- like the crispy lentils added to the tomatos, the tahini dressings on the beets, etc. We also loved the fried cauliflower, the ribeye cap, the chocolate halvah mousse... we left totally and happily full. The service was also wonderfully attentive.Special Features:
- SamrapDined on 8/24/2014Eating here was basically a religious experience. Excellent in every regard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 36andcountingDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I enjoyed an amazing meal at Zahav start to finish. Everything is excellent-the hummus, the fried cauliflower, the grilled meats and the most delightful surprise-the fried cheese! My only advice is that if there are just two of you, do not take one the tastings It will be too much food. Save the tastings for a group adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic All AroundUncleDVIPDined on 8/23/2014My friends have been wanting to come to Philly to dine at Zahav for a while. We were finally able to go on Saturday evening. The entire experience was excellent as usual. My friends were very impressed with the food, the service, and the cost. Every one was very accommodating to us. We didn't think we were going to be able to get the lamb shoulder, but they made it possible. In addition, we ordered a bottle of wine that was not very good, and our waiter (Chris) did not hesitate to recommend a much better bottle and remove the other from our bill. Thank you Zahav for allowing me to show my friends why I love your restaurant. Regards, DarrinSpecial Features:
- Not special anymorecarolegVIPDined on 8/23/2014haven't been here for a couple of years Not as good as I recall. Noise level ridiculous. We felt the music was unnecessarily loud and inappropriate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lamb, abrupt serviceLuveatingouttgthrDined on 8/21/2014Food was fantastic and tasting menu was worth every penny! Notables: the lamb main course, hummus, vanilla custard, beef stew, eggplant! Also great refreshing cocktails! The service was so fast that you barely had a dirty plate for more than a second-- however our water was kind of abrupt and unfriendly. Not my favorite. Music selection was hip but a little loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhillyphoodieDined on 8/20/2014This restaurant is the best of the best. The food is consistently of excellent quality, innovative, and beautifully presented. It is our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LflfjjVIPDined on 8/19/2014Excellent and amazingly delicious as always. We will return.Special Features:
- BuddyDined on 8/19/2014The service and food were outstanding. We will be back. Ben was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DeliciousHungrymanDined on 8/19/2014Very tasting food, top-notch ingredients and spices, excellent service. Although small plates style, we were quite surprised how full we began to feel half way through the meal (we did order the Ta'Yim multi-course special, which is a great value). Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBeegeVIPDined on 8/18/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We did the tasting menu and it was KILLER good. The staff is super friendly and efficient. Great restaurant. We'll be back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded our expectations!NickDined on 8/17/2014Exceptional dining exp. interesting/delicious combination of flavors. Try the Taste of Zahav offering. We will definitely be returning. Parking was a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceGoodtimesDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I enjoyed a fantastic meal with knowledge staff. The manager was very friendly and interactive making us feel warmly welcomed. A fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well deserved acclaimRichardDined on 8/16/2014Our first visit here and it was exceptional. We did the Tayim or Taste of Zahav menu and it is the best way to get an introduction to Chef Solomonov's artful delicacies (with an incredible quality-price ratio). Truly one of Philadelphia's finest restaurants and one we look forward to re-visiting many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!BruceDined on 8/15/2014A highlight of our weekend in Philadelphia was dinner at Zahav!! Loved the food and the atmosphere!Special Features:
- Best in PhillypassingThroughDined on 8/14/2014Well, I'm fairly new to the city, so "best in Philly" may be a bit preemptive. But I can say that, from the service to the food, I cannot find a flaw. And for the money (it's not cheap, but I've spent far more at restaurants) I will be returning.Special Features:
- Great food n serviceRabreuDined on 8/14/2014Hummus was awesome! Grilled lamb n chicken were good. A bit over rated n over prized.Special Features:
- RushedDined on 8/13/2014We were rushed to our seats, rushed to order and the food came very quickly. Under the prix fixe it was like a several course fast foos reatuarant. They wanted to turn the table so bad I felt shoved. The ood was OK but not spectacular. Some portions were unique. The wine list was very expsnsive and they turned their nose at the couple of listings at less than $80 a bottle.Special Features:
- Amazing valueOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/12/2014They always offer a tasting menu which allows you to really sample a good portion of the menu, especially when you're in a group. I always recommend Zahav to my friends and people visiting the city. Incredibly delicious and thoughtful food - I would come just for the hummus and salatim!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for sharingjammyDined on 8/11/2014Went with friends and ordered 6 or so dishes to share between four people. Plus the salatim and hummus. Turkish hummus is not to be missed.Special Features:
- DustinJeLeDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and the staff at Zahav helped make it special. They gave us champagne, were quick to smile and stop and chat, checked on us appropriately, and even gave us a dessert that would meet my wife's dietary needs. Overall, a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OmarDined on 8/10/2014Lovely experience with remarkable, healthful food, a waiter both prompt and attentive. Cost for the evening bordered on unfair to the restaurant!Special Features:
- One of my favorite dinner spots!Ali8Dined on 8/8/2014This was our second time at Zahav and it did not disappoint. Our server, Ben was attentive and knoweledgeable about the menu. The craft beer selection and speciality cocktails are great! I suggest getting the Taste of Zahav which allows to try a number of items including dessert. Everything was delicious but we loved the beet salad, house smoked sable, chicken kebab, duck, and the Turkish hummus. We also added foie gras to our meal which is served by the owner. The foie gras was amazing and having Michael Solomonov come out and serve was awesome. Because it was my birthday we received free falafel which was amazing as well. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.