237 Saint James Place
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zahavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2156258800x
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Michael Solomonov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for 9 - 50 people. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Kari-Lee MacDonald 2156253977x
- Special Events: Rehearsal Dinners, Cocktail Receptions, Wine Tastings, Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs.
A word from Zahav
Zahav showcases the Israeli-Mediterranean cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Solomonov. In 2008, Zahav was named one of Esquire's Top 20 New Restaurants in America and Philadelphia Magazine selected Zahav as its Best New Restaurant.Continued
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Zahav - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Zahav reviews from OpenTable diners
478 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (412)special occasion (313)hot spot (207)good for groups (204)neighborhood gem (151)romantic (123)notable wine list (105)vibrant bar scene (64)scenic view (39)late-night find (29)kid-friendly (13)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Zahav in Phillyrk2014Dined on 10/29/2014If Zahav was located in SF, I would be there 1-2 times per month if not more. Reasonable prices, outstanding food, and outstanding service. And management was sincerely interested in my dining experience. I learned of Zahav on Anthony Bourdain's show the Layover, and was in Philadelphia for business this week. Anthony Bourdain was absolutely dead on with this one. I also enjoyed some red wine from Israel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!DCKD14Dined on 10/28/2014We took our friends from England there and they cannot stop raving about the food. We really enjoyed every selection and the staff were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pathetic ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014The food was great, but the server was pathetic. She had an entire team of people assisting and still managed to not even be able to keep up with beverages for two, let alone the food. They even forgot a dish. Seriously? Not what I expected.
- gjniDined on 10/26/2014Zahav was awesome. The food was delicious, especially the golden beet salad and the fried cauliflower. Some dishes were a little heavy with the salt though. The service was excellent. The ambiance was lovely and the music was a little loud, but lively. Overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Perfect end to our day in the city!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014We had no idea what Israeli food was... now we know how excellent it is. Would recommend this dining experience to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfulhoneybrown616Dined on 10/26/2014I have dined at Zahav several times. I must say that I am impressed that each experience is unique. The menu changed since my last visit and as always they did not disappoint. It's a little hectic when they open because literally people rush in... so although we were first to arrive we found ourselves being seated after 5 other parties. Remember to practice patients and leave your taste buds open to possibilities.Special Features:
- Dee1VIPDined on 10/24/2014Great experience. Loved the pita and humus and salatim. We enjoyed the lamb, duck and steak dishes. The bread pudding, custard and chocolate almond cake were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderful!NLB30VIPDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I went there for our anniversary and it could have not been more perfect. The service was impeccable and the food was amazing. We cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfanVIPDined on 10/24/2014I have brought many people to Zahav, raving about the food and experience, and it always lives up to expectations. The food is delicious, unexpected and unique. Servers are uniformly friendly and knowledgeable. The restaurant can be noisy, but that seems a small price to pay for a special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceMissmayakDined on 10/23/2014The tasting menu is impeccable. All the salatim were delicious. Hummus was so grand we wanted more. All the small plates we got were truly delicious. The califlower is wonderful. All food we ordered was so good. What a great time and experience. Dessert hit the spot also. We were so full but it was worth it. Plus the waitstaff was super cute and everyone who brought food were nice and well mannered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMissWillowDined on 10/22/2014Innovative and unique yet approachable and delicious. Highly recommend the tasting menu!Special Features:
- Perfect for a date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Me and my husband went here to celebrate an anniversary and everything was exceptional. We we greeted with complimentary champagne for the occasion and later on a special treat from the kitchen. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- DisappointedLisianeDined on 10/21/2014I was extremely disappointed with the restaurant and I do not intend to return. I made a reservation for 8 people for 9pm and they only gave off the table when everyone was in the restaurant. My friend was late and everyone had to wait for him. Then they said that for large groups the kitchen closed at 10pm so they could serve the tasting menu which cost $ 42 per person.
- PerfectionMikeSDined on 10/21/2014From beginning to end, an incredible evening with great food and an amazing staff. Every dish looked beautiful and tasted amazing! Unique combinations that were evocative of the best modern food to come out of Israel. Get the tasting menu; at $42.00 it is an incredible bargain. Personal favorites were the honey cake bread pudding with green apple frozen yogurt and apple compote, and the rib-eye cap, which was so tender and flavorful all you can do is sigh in contentment. The service was warm and attentive. The evening was perfect!Special Features:
- First-timerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2014Interesting experience! New and innovative tastes. Noise level was annoying. Service was a bit slow. Very interesting concept.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014Zahav was delicious, as always. Service was great and food flavorful and beautiful. Wish they would bring back the halvah mousse, but everything I tried, I would get again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!!!CoryoDined on 10/19/2014We had an amazing meal at Zahav. I don't typically get wow'd by hummas, but theirs was amazing. It had a very unique and smoky flavor and served with their homemade bread- yummy!!! There were four of us and we shared multiple dishes and each dish was better than the last one. The flavors just exploded in your mouth. If I ever am back in Philly I will absolutely make this one of my stops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect hummusOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014If you are looking for upscale yummy Israeli tapas, this is the place - I could just eat the hummus and pita but there were so many other luscious tastes in all there small plates - go hungry and enjoySpecial Features:
- Enjoyable dining experienceckjdinerVIPDined on 10/19/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Zahav. I particularly loved the hummus and salad dishes. They were unique and delicious. We also had the fried cauliflower and the potatoes which for me seemed overly greasy. We then had the duck and the branzino, both of which were great. The branzino was cooked to perfection. The service was good, there was always someone there attending to us. Overall we had a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Celebrationsportsref1Dined on 10/18/2014This was our second time at it was as great as the first time Waitress was very helpful in explain menu. They have a pre fix menu for $42 which includes their Hummas and Pita bread (Outstanding & HOT two apps per person an array of different little plates and a main course (Wide variety). Not a large main course but there was no room to eat. Dessert was also included a wide variety, Yummy Choice of regular or seltzer water and they came coming back to refill glasses Nice wine selection by bottle or glass.Special Features:
- Try something different!Carlos318Dined on 10/16/2014I was totally surprised, in a positive way, by this experience. I was very pleased to taste so many familiar and fresh food items prepared in different and creative ways. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the veggie dishes, though I am not a vegetarian. Excellent alternative for those with a mixed crowd of folks who don't want the veggie friends stuck with the salad and pizza items on a menu. The price for the fixed menu was also a pleasing detail. Treat yourself to something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Food ExperienceVprofyDined on 10/16/2014We had the tasting menu. Just the right amount -- almost a little too much. Maybe only need 4 vegetables with humus and salad. But not just a great meal, a dining experience. Bar and just a few plates is a great option.Special Features:
- never disappointsjaneyDined on 10/15/2014We have been to Zahav numerous times and have never been disappointed. The food is wonderful and varied. Hummus is amazing, also always get the fried cauliflower, haloumi cheese and sable. Service attentive. Small plates make it possible to taste a variety of dishes. We were in the side room which is a quieter than the main one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014The service and the food were excellent. Beautiful presentation. I would, however, not return due to the noise level. The music was very loud and seemed to target a younger, hip clientele.Special Features:
- Never betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Very simple. Zahav is the best restaurant in Philly. Everything Chef Solomonov creates is different and delectable.Special Features:
- excellentBIGDOGVIPDined on 10/14/2014one of the best restaurants in philadelphia.we have been eating at zahav since it opened,and it still remains our favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- pennsegDined on 10/13/2014Excellent food and attentive service. Great dining experience. Highly recommend. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful everythingAudreyVIPDined on 10/13/2014The food was delicious and the service was very good. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, lots of funJwhmimaDined on 10/12/2014food and service are top notch. The music is excessively loud and the handsome restaurant is too noisySpecial Features:
- FantasticmmmmmVIPDined on 10/10/2014We did the tasting menu at Zahav and we were not disappointed - completely worth every penny! The first course of the hummus and salads of the day was a fabulous start. Other favorites were the fried cauliflower and the lamb sausage. The only thing the table didn't love was the grape leaves (still good, just not as fantastic as everything else). The drink menu was also great. The restaurant is on the small side - I wouldn't go with a party of more than 6 at the most. Overall fantastic experience!Special Features:
- Never even a wrinkleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014Zahav is amazingly consistently percent every time. Always fresh and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at it's bestDeborah1VIPDined on 10/9/2014A goodbye dinner was held for a member of our group who is relocating to the West Coast. From the time we sat down it the end of our meal, the service was impeccable, the wine from Israel crisp and smooth and the food fresh and perfectly seasoned, especially the two hummus plates that we ordered. A gem of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowRosieVIPDined on 10/8/2014We were a group of four and had the Mesibah set meal which was wonderful. Of course the highlight was the roasted lamb shoulder which had an awesome sweet crust to it from the pomegranate marinade, but the whole meal was excellent. The waitstaff were great and even the music selection playing was eclectic and fun. I highly recommend a visit!Special Features:
- frenchVIPDined on 10/8/2014Only one reservation . . . the noise level. Very noisy--in the current style.
- excellentrhettDined on 10/5/2014We are from out of town and felt lucky to get a reservation. Our meal was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zahav lives up to its reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/5/2014This was our third visit to Zahav. The first one a couple years ago was not memorable, but this August we tried again since everyone raves about it. In August although the food was excellent, the noise level (in the back room on a Saturday night) interfered with our thoroughly enjoying our evening (and it was our anniversary). This visit was on a Sunday night, I asked to be seated in the main room, and it was a much more enjoyable experience. The food was superb! My 91 year old (oops, young) mother was with us and she wanted to try the smoked lamb tongue. I am not as adventurous as she, but gave it a try; surprisingly delicious. The hummus is divine. The small plates provides opportunities for sharing and tasting lots of options.Special Features:
- Best Hummus AroundBuddyTheElfDined on 10/4/2014We were here for the first time, and from the outstanding hummus to begin the meal to the coconut basboosa which ended it, there was a pleasant surprise with each dish presented. We'd come back for the hummus alone but, of course, there's so much more to savor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XalundesDined on 10/4/2014Outstanding dining experience. I particularly like how they changed plates and forks, as well as cleaned the table, in between each courseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkMarkVIPDined on 10/3/2014Loved everything ! We will definitely be back. The food and the service were Amazing. Best meal I have ever had in the city!Special Features:
- My favorite restaurantRob1Dined on 10/2/2014I've been to Zahav probably a dozen times over the years. I'm never disappointed the food and service were always spot onSpecial Features: