104 2nd St. South
Saint Petersburg, FL 33701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zgrille.net/
- Phone: 7278229600x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: 11:30 to 3:00 Monday through Saturday
DINNER: 5:00 to 10:00 Monday through Saturday (till 11:00 on Friday night)
BRUNCH: 11:00 to 3:00 Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Zack Gross
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from Z Grille
James Beard nominated Chef/Owner Zack Gross has been serving his unique and acclaimed cuisine in Downtown St. Petersburg since 2005. We receive fresh local fish and specialties several times per week for quality and freshness, and make all of our sauces and sides from scratch each day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Z Grille - Best Restaurants in St. Petersburg ›
Z Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (27)special occasion (20)good for groups (17)great for lunch (16)vibrant bar scene (16)great for outdoor dining (12)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)romantic (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Food A+! Noise level D!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Exceptional food choices, creatively presented, good service. But... I couldn't hear anything my dinner companion was saying across a small table for two. Just terrible noise level and awful acoustics! Too bad...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT!springrollDined on 8/16/2014ZGille has the best Chicken & Waffles! I've tried this foodie trend at several places but ZGrille nailed it! Also the Dr. Pepper ribs were a huge hit at our table... and the WTF friend lived up to their name!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUSLOVEURFOODDined on 8/16/2014This food was beyond great. It was mouth watering. I tried the foie grass steak burger and the deviled eggs. I was foaming at the mouth after one bite. I would come back again and again.Special Features:
- Z-liciousKofVADined on 8/15/2014We are from out of state. I Read reviews prior to going for dinner on a Friday. All waitstaff were friendly and pleasant. Ours, Tommy, was very patient and informative and made the perfect recommendations for meal and wine. Interesting decor, fabulous food. We highly recommend Z grille and will return our next trip in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only I could eat moreMattDined on 8/15/2014We came based on the many good reviews and tried some of the dishes they are known for such as the fried dr. pepper ribs and deviled eggs. We were not disappointed. Will return when we can.Special Features:
- Never a dissapointment.BruceTampaVIPDined on 8/13/2014Z Grille consistently delivers great food and a great overall dining experience.Special Features:
- Z-GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Z-Grille is our favorite in St. Pete. We never leave hungry and the food is perfect every time. Whenever we're tempted to try a new spot we're usually disappointed and say we should've just gone to Z-Grille instead!Special Features:
- Fun Menu, Great Food, Too NoisyAustinWriterGirlDined on 8/8/2014I've reviewed this restaurant before, and said the same thing. The menu is wonderfully creative. The food is very well prepared. The dining area is too noisy. Both times we have been there, however, the hostess sat us at tables in the bar area at our request. We had guests who are hard of hearing, so that was very helpful. Two of us ordered the spicy scallops, delicious and spicy with cayenne. One ordered the duck and thought it wasn't crispy enough. The other ordered the Korean BBQ and thought it was very good. A must: the deviled eggs and Dr. Pepper ribs for appetizers. Overall, this is a fun spot, targeting young people. But we older folks are also coming for the great food. Hope the restaurant will tweak the dining room to reduce noise.Special Features:
- great restaurantyummyinmytummyDined on 8/8/2014Menu was awesome, had a hard time choosing in a good way. We had D's deviled eggs, chicken & waffles, and Korean bbq pork. Everything was outstanding, will return to try other things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealBArbbellDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful meal. Server was spot on. Will def look forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceWinendineDined on 8/6/2014My date and I were greeted promptly and seated. The hostess was our server, she was prompt and friendly. The wine list offers a good selection and the food is good. The scallops were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/4/2014We sat at a table on the bar side. Service and food was great we will be back.Special Features:
- ZGrilllinesiderDined on 8/2/2014Our meal completely satisfied a couple of real foodies. The fried ribs were crisp and super flavorful but not dry (a real worry most of the time), the deviled egg variety was a tasty surprise, and the brussels sprouts were a low-carb dream come true (I had 3 apps rather than a single meal). My friend had the foie gras burger and said it was one of the best burgers he had ever consumed, and he has had his share of great burgers. The atmosphere was a bit modern for my taste initially, but I quickly settled in and enjoyed what seemed like a high-end, gourmet diner experience (we sat at the bar where service was great). Highly recommend this place to anyone with a discriminating palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeminoleDined on 8/2/2014Limited but creative menu. Friendly servers. Food prepared well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceTravelGirlVIPDined on 7/20/2014We had anticipated dining here as reviews were excellent. First the restaurant ambiance came off as cheap and table and chairs were super plastic-y and uncomfortable. Our table wobbled the entire meal. Server seemed irritated that we asked for menu advice and really didn't know the menu items. We asked if the hangover burger came with waffles on the side and he said yes - the real answer is the waffles are the bun. We wouldn't have purchased if we'd known that. Deviled eggs were drenched in hot sauce - not our favorites but okay. Bloody Mary was excellent - unlimited mimosas were mainly orange juice - disappointing. Breakfast cuban was excellent although usually they are pressed and this one wasn't - great flavors and fresh ingredients.Special Features:
- AverageJDM225VIPDined on 7/18/2014While it looks very interesting and hip, that's the best part. Food was OK. There was zero flexibility. I had asked for a different side and the server told new no. I could hardly believe it. That side had bacon in it and I told him I don test pork and it made no difference. Two of the three cheeses on the cheese board that they raved about were practically flavorless. Deviled eggs were delicious. Oysters were good. Like I said, it was just okay. Nothing special. I will try someplace else when I'm in St Pete next time.
- Very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/12/2014If you do not want to talk to your dinner companions this is the place for you. Sound level progressed quickly to a level we could not carry on a conversation. We did not consider desserts or a second drink - paid and went elsewhere. Food good, some dishes better than others. Wagyu Strip good choice, as was Seafood Salad, and Snowy Grouper special. Chicken waffles, sage overpowered the dish. If it was not rainy outside dining would have been the better choice to enjoy the experience.Special Features:
- Awesome food but too NoisyAustinWriterGirlDined on 7/9/2014We ordered the deviled eggs, one of each kind, the seared scallop appetizer, the seared scallops and shrimp salad, and the Dr. Pepper rib dinner. All were just wonderful. My husband and I shared, and the ribs are truly as described on the menu: "meat candy." Only complaint: I know the dining world aims to have an "energetic" noise level to attract the younger set who buy booze, but can't restaurants have at least one area where people can talk over dinner and not shout? We asked for a quiet table and were seated in the bar, which turned out to be the quietest part of the diner. I'm not saying the bar wasn't busy, but it wasn't a loud busy. Great service and we appreciate the excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit noisyTexasGalDined on 6/27/2014From out of town, so I wasn't prepared to hunt for parking which made us late for our reservation. We were told by the hostess that they'd given our table away upon our arrival, but they were able to find us another table so we didn't have to wait long. Ordered the ribs as an appetizer which were delicious. The beer was served cool, not cold which was a bit off putting & the chicken and waffles were more gourmet rather than authentic which was not what we'd expected either. I wished that I'd ordered the ribs as my entree & that it wasn't so loud in there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrilliantsasseriansectionDined on 6/23/2014The food was excellent, the service wonderful, and the bourbon cheesecake to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationemariecjDined on 6/18/2014This was my first time dining here, but I had been familiar with Chef Zack's food from various events in the Tampa Bay area. The Dr. Pepper ribs were delicious, and the pork tenderloin was very tender. We had the chili-lime ice cream for dessert, and the flavor was great, but the texture was more of a sorbet. I liked the residual burn though! Our waitress was lovely and was spot on with service the whole night. Great selections of wines, beer and cocktails, plus the decor is really intriguing! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Great creative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014We went to Z Grille on a Saturday night, mostly based on TripAdvisor reviews. The menu was very creative and the food and cocktails were top notch. We had one each of the deviled eggs of the day - all were amazing. We ordered two of their signature cocktails and they were excellent, prepared with house made ingredients (no sour mix!! Yay!). Our server Tommy was great - fun and well informed, attentive but not annoying. We had the chicken and waffles, and the root beer ribs - the two house favorites, along with the deviled eggs. Both of our meals were very well prepared, although the ribs were just a tad overdone/dry. The chicken and waffle dish is HUGE, with the corn flake crusted chicken perfectly prepared. Be prepared - it is noisy!Special Features:
- dr pepper ribs and morestevenDined on 6/7/2014food quality was excellent with unusual dishes; place was packed early in evg during the summer so thy must be doing something rightSpecial Features:
- Great placeAurelia8108Dined on 6/7/2014Great food great service great find great view will definitely go there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful surpriseBurgherDined on 6/7/2014We live in St Pete and have driven by Z Grille a thousand times but never stopped to eat. Finally, we gave it a try and we couldn't have been happier. The deviled egg appetizer, the ribs, and the hogfish were all sone perfectly and presented beautifully. The only reason for my 4 star rating (instead of 5) is that the funky, urban chic ambiance isn't my taste, but the food trumps the decor. We'll certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014The food was good but expensive for the ambiance. It felt more like a diner inside, although the food was high quality, the prices were high compared to the quality and atmosphere. Still I would recommend this place for lunch fare where the bill is a bit lower. Great location and I liked the open windows to watch what is going on outside.Special Features:
- Wonderful Z Grille!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Inventive, fresh, beautifully presented starters and mains. Superlative service. Loved the Florida casual atmosphere. Kudos to ZGrille for keeping wines appropriately cool--- didn't have to wait for the champagne to chill. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Z GrillekloveDined on 6/5/2014Everything about Z Grille is great! The food is outstanding, staff is awesome, eclectic decor. It's where we eat when in St. Pete.Special Features:
- Z-Grille is Z placedragoVIPDined on 6/4/2014Z grille has excellent food and excellent service. we both had foie gras burgers and shared the chips with avocado and salsa. my only issue is the noise level. in an attempt to look cool, the decorator sacrificed any means to reduce the echo and noise in the restaurant making it very difficult to carry on a conversation. This is too bad especially for business lunches(which I was attending). otherwise, i recommend it for the food.Special Features:
- Beyond impressed with Z Grille!KitcatDined on 5/31/2014I wish there was a restaurant like Z Grille in Boston. The menu is fantastic. Such tasty delicious options in every category! The ribs and cheese board were delicious! Hats off to this chef and the wait staff were so awesome! Hope to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zgrill is awesomeDaviDined on 5/30/2014Food was great with one exception-steak although excellent flavor meat was at least half fat and I would not recommend steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You know the chef is good when...PLthe1Dined on 5/22/2014No Salt, Pepper or other condiments are on the table or offered to you. Eat it as it was sent out :) and I gladly will. Yes Chef!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dr. Pepper Fried Ribs!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/22/2014Their ribs are like nothing I have ever had before. They are to die for!! My husband and I split 2 apps (the ribs and scallops) and the fish tacos. We each had a beer and our tab was $70 with tip, so it was pricey to say the least.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Apps in townLoveDownTownStPeteDined on 5/17/2014Dr. Pepper ribs are THE best, along with their menu of exotic deviled eggs and super fresh oysters!Special Features:
- Great Local SpotBonnieKDined on 5/16/2014Excellent food, service and atmosphere. Good for dinner and brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- z grille ZEliciousKimmyCDined on 5/13/2014We had appetizers, specifically the Brussels sprouts and deviled eggs. They were beyond delicious!! The bartender made us the drinks we requested although they were no longer on the menu, again refreshing and delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, so so meal...LHAMDined on 5/10/2014The locale is great but the entrees were lifeless and not tasty. The starters were great!! Will be back only for the starters and drinks....Special Features:
- The following 121 reviews are from the Z Grille reviews archive.
- Delicious as always!RachelAlayneDined on 4/25/2014If you are looking for a fantastic culinary experience without a hint of pretension, look no further. The food is delicious, the craft cocktails are creative and potent (FYI-most are tequila based) , the service is great, and the atmosphere is fun and funky. The entire restaurant exudes a quirky love of eating, drinking, and merriment. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/25/2014loved the waitress and the food and the entire experience. Only problem was they didn't mark us down via Open Table which was an inconvenience later to get my 100 points. Otherwise, it was a lovely way to spend the afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burger everOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2014Well, upon entering the resteraunt, the decor really stands out. The place has a really modern feel to it. The place looks like something out of the future. The food then follows suit. We had the deviled eggs that everyone seemed to recommend and they did not dissapoint. I'm Not even a big fan of them normally but they were delicious. Then the burger came... We actually split the burger as it is a 1/2 pound. Getting it as recommended which is fully loaded will run you $30 but oh was it worth it. All the ingredients blend perfectly. It was so good, we were talking about it here and there throughout the night. I would highly recommend this resteraunt and we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.