811 1 St SW
Calgary, AB T2P 7N2Neighborhood:
Wine BarPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wine-ohs.com/
- Phone: 4032631650x
- Hours of Operation:
The Bistro is open from 11:30 a.m. to close Monday to Friday. A smaller menu is offered between 2 and 5pm and late night.
The Bistro opens at 5pm on Saturday.
The Bistro is Closed on Sundays.
The Cellar hours throughout the week and align with our performances and events.
Monday-Tuesday 7pm - Close
Wednesday-Friday - 4pm - Close
Saturday - 7pm - Close
Sunday - Open for Feature Events Only
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, French / Canadian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Wine-Ohs Bistro
Wine-Ohs has two casual spaces that will provide you with a unique experience whether you visit one or both of them. Our menu features quality fresh food with a focus on local and sustainable products. Enjoy a larger selection of menu items upstairs in our Bistro / Wine Bar and some sharing plates downstairs in the Cellar. Our wine list is recognized as one of Calgary's best and we have a full bar selection with beer and spirits. The Cellar is where live music happens almost every night and has a speakeasy vibe reminiscent of clubs in New York or Chicago and is quickly becoming known as one of Canada's best live music rooms. To get to the Cellar, enter through the alley door.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Wine-Ohs Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Wine-Ohs Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (22)fit for foodies (17)great for lunch (13)romantic (12)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (8)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)good for groups (4)great for brunch (4)Show More
- All Star CastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014The staff at WineOhs was so friendly and energetic. Peter and Mia were the perfect hosts. I really enjoyed the entire experience and will be back for more very soon.Special Features:
- Dinner @ Wine-OhsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/11/2014Had to work late so decided to eat downtown before heading home. What an amazing little find this was! Cute, intimate little place with great food and charismatic staff! And, there is a club downstairs that regularly has live music - who knew! Fantastic wine - the whole package! Will be back. I was going to say something about the waitress fitting in between the tables....but never mind:)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/10/2014We normally find this restaurant quite quaint, however when in Calgary for a week we tried this restaurant twice (once for lunch and once for dinner) and we were disappointed in food and service for both.
- DissapointedSsaanevagnDined on 8/22/2014We expected more. The staff seemed disinterested, and our food was mediocre. Started with a cheese plate that must have come out of the freezer because it was extremely cold (aren't cheese plates supposed to be room temperature?). Seared tuna for the nicoise salad was almost cooked through, and my steak and truffle fries was greasy and couldnt taste any truffle. The wine was good though. Not going back here again...Special Features:
- Good restaurantFoodieDined on 8/20/2014I had lunch here with a friend of mine. I used to come to this restaurant when it was known as "Piq Niq". The waiter told me that there was a change of ownership about a couple of years ago. The food hasn't changed, I don't think, I had the Nicoise Salad. Good meal portion with seared aha tuna, on top of green beans, hard boiled egg, olives, potatoes, tomatoes, and other vege. Nice vinaigrette dressing. My friend ordered their burger and parmesan fries and ate it all. I guess he liked it, too! Same red walls with that interesting chandelier from before. Service was pretty quick. I'd come back again.Special Features:
- Cute for 2 -4 peopleBryeDined on 8/14/2014The bistro has older decor but very quiet and quaint for 2-4 people to enjoy each othes comapny.Special Features:
- Wine-Ohs is aptly named.CaseyDined on 8/6/2014If you like good wines, you need to try Wine-Ohs. The wines and menu complement each other. It is quiet in the Bistro - a great place to have dinner and talk. If music is your thing, there is live music in the venue downstairs.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningLeftthekidsbehindDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful service and good food made for an enjoyable evening listening to John Wort Hannam.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The GM was AWESOME!RestaurantGMShinesVIPDined on 7/31/2014Not only was the GM knowledgeable in wines, he was funny and entertaining. He asked us what we normally like to drink, then let us a taste a few different wines until we decided which one we liked. The food was a little salty but the steak was cooked perfectly. There was a live band performing downstairs but the noise level didn't interrupt conversation. This was by far one of the best wine bar experiences I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Enjoy Wine-OhsMGRJARDALDined on 7/31/2014I've been to Wine-Ohs for both dinner and lunch a number of times and have always had great food and service. I haven't had a chance to take in the acts downstairs yet but that's next on my list.Special Features:
- Best evening!Fork2corkDined on 7/26/2014We had an absolute amazing experience at Wine - Ohs. It started with the reservation and continued right through dinner. One nice thing about this place; the wine. By the glass, one can taste multiple during the course of the visit. Enjoyed the proffesional service from when we were greeted. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service!WineNewbieDined on 7/26/2014I took my mother in law out for dinner because I won a gift card. We arrived shortly after they opened for the evening so that would explain the quietness. Our waitress was super friendly and attentive. The bartender brought us a couple wine samples that were right in line with what we were looking for. The food was delicious! I had the steelhead trout and it was cooked to perfection. I had a great time and look forward to going back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/16/2014Had a midweek lunch at Wine-Ohs. I enjoyed the quiche special while my friend loved the curry bowl. Ambiance was a much more enjoyable than a new more sterile place. Waiter was helpful and attentive. Will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too hotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014We had reservations during Stampede, but left quickly after realizing there was no air conditioning. With the high temperature that night, having a nice meal would have been very uncomfortable. We reported that to the nice waitress and said we would come back when it was cooler out.
- Surprise findEmilGDined on 7/11/2014Just had dinner here last week and was pleasantly surprised by the place. Food was great, service was friendly, and there was live music downstairs (cover charge applies). The wine list, though small, is quite interesting. Both my wife and I were really impressed by the chef's prowess with vegetables and flavors. I definitely recommend Wine Oh's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot to catch up with friendsFoodisformeDined on 7/9/2014I met with a group of friends who I hadn't seen in a long time at Wine-Ohs. The service was great! Our server gave us the space to catch up but still attended to our needs. I hate having an empty water glass and this did not happen during our dinner - loved it! The place was clean, is a great location, and has great staff.Special Features:
- I really want to like this place...HHfromCanmoreVIPDined on 7/9/2014But they’re making it difficult. Food is very good - high quality, well prepared. I like the decor, the laid-back atmosphere, and the name. But there are improvements needed. Our server was just uncomfortable; she was nice, but seemed rushed - it was not busy, but she seemed anxious to get us through; she came back about five times to ask us if we were ready to order, and then quite a long wait for our food. A limited menu (wine list very limited too, for a place called "Wine-OH’s"). Then she brought us our bill without asking if we’d like desert or coffee… so we didn’t. Last, not sure how clean this place is; around the stairway, on the bench seating/pillows, even the kitchen. Easy things to fix, and they need to do so. There is potential.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MentormentorDined on 7/9/2014Very enjoyable indeed. The staff is very efficient and thoughtful and the food varied and well preparedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyablementorDined on 7/2/2014PWelcoming venue, attentive staff, enjoyable food from varied menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014This bistro is bursting with character and charm. Food and service were exceptional. We need to keep places like this in Calgary as they provide sophisticated cultural alternatives to the other hash slinging chain restaurants that so prominently dot Calgary's dining scene.Special Features:
- Lovely lunchVeniceVIPDined on 6/19/2014We enjoyed a nice glass of wine and a great soup and quiche special. It was pouring out and this was a very cozy spot to spend an hour. Very friendly and efficient server. Good value. Will go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingLocalYokelDined on 6/13/2014We tried this restaurant because it was handy to our hotel and seemed to get very good reviews online. We both had the steak frites, which was basically a steak sandwich except for no bread - the fries were excellent and had a grating of parmesan on top - a nice touch. They were hot and crispy and included the skins. The steak was small but tasty. I had a kale salad which was really disappointing. I want the chef to come up to Edmonton and taste the kale salad at Woodwork! This was weighed down by a glocky dressing which was too sweet. Nice server who was still learning the ropes.
- Not a wine ohOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Not sure I would recommend this restaurant to my friends. I didn't like the limited selection of appetizers and main dishes...but order something anyway since we were already there. The food was OK nothing outstanding. I WAS NOT impressed with our waitress, she seems as if she was annoyed we weren't ordering alcohol right away or ordering more. We left as soon as we were done our meal...give her an opportunity to fill that spot.
- Would Have Liked to Try It But...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/29/2014Booked a reservation for my wife's birthday and invited friend's to only find out after arriving that they were closed for a private function. They were rude to our guests and were non-apologetic for the error.
- Great jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014We were there about a year ago when the menu was mostly French, so were are little surprised by the extent of the changes. Food was good, my duck confit was dry - disappointing. Balance of the meals were excellent. Wine list is great, well priced and accessible. Ambiance and service were great. Jazz in the basement as always we excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bluesboyDined on 5/22/2014Peter was great!Our waitress was a gem(sorry I can't remember her name). The entertainment was outstanding. Jonathan Byrd was the reason we went and we were not dissapointed.I'll be back. Thanks for a great night. WayneSpecial Features:
- The following 6 reviews are from the Wine-Ohs Bistro reviews archive.
- SurprisedBShibsVIPDined on 5/15/2014I was looking for a quick lunch with my guest, and was looking for something 'new'. Not sure why the room wasn't packed, but it should have been considering the menu and the service and the great quality of food! Will definitely be back many times for lunch. Reminded me of lunches in Quebec City. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Stacey2014Dined on 5/10/2014Came up from Edmonton, the food, beyond exceeded all expectations, Peter the manager was exceptional and created a sample platter without charge. Have been craving it ever since!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Ambiance and SERVICE!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014First time there and was blown away with the service provide by the GM, Peter. haven't had service like that in a long time. Great Ambiance and the food was nothing short of amazing. Would highly recommend it for Lunch, Dinner, date night, watching great bands with friends while sipping on cocktails or even renting out their downstairs for an event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!!kshimDined on 4/19/2014We randomly stumbled into Wine-Ohs and we are soooo glad we did. The service was phenomenal the food was delicious and the atmosphere was fun. The staff went out of their way to make our experience enjoyable . We were not pressured to rush through our meal but rather encouraged to take our time. I would definitely return to Wine-Ohs. Thank you to Peter (manager) who went out of his way to make our night out a very fun experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again.SchnooksDined on 4/12/2014I was very disappointed in wine ohs. The food was practically inedible...we had to beg for service! Although they call themselves a wine bar, they know nothing about wine! I was not only disappointed, I was offended be the whole experience. I will actively discourage people from going there for dinner.
- Catching up with a friendLesmessDined on 4/11/2014Hadn't met with my friend for a long time and I randomly chose Wine Ohs based on another friends recommendation. I was not disappointed. We arrived early. Had a great table near the window and immediately fell into a great conversation. The restaurant seemed to set the tone so well right from beginning to end. The wine samplings were a pleasant surprise and really helped us make up our mind. Menu is not large but it was more than satisfactory. Loved the whole experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.